• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tizoc For non-rare/mythic inclusions, Adanto Vanguards are a good start for most any white based aggro deck. Doesn't work great with the Mentor plan but is solid enough on it's own that's it's still worth including. Probably could cut a few of the combat tricks for them.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions to make this Mentor deck better?
uHxy259.png
there is a boros deck like this that plays hero of precint one:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1670114#paper

it's pretty all or nothing, but when it goes off you are dead on turn 3.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Theorycrafting a fun workable dino deck is tough. The good cards are spread out in the colors.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm drafting Ixalan for the first time and I'd appreciate a bit of advice. I'm happy enough with the creature/non-creature ratio, my main concern is there wasn't a lot of unconditional removal up for grabs. Would it be better to ditch some of my non-creature spells and use some of the discard stuff (Duress, Dark Inquiry, Heartless Pillage)?

DI7W9Oe.jpg

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm drafting Ixalan for the first time and I'd appreciate a bit of advice. I'm happy enough with the creature/non-creature ratio, my main concern is there wasn't a lot of unconditional removal up for grabs. Would it be better to ditch some of my non-creature spells and use some of the discard stuff (Duress, Dark Inquiry, Heartless Pillage)?

DI7W9Oe.jpg
Looks like a pretty alright build to me, though I'd maybe add Heartless Pillage and drop the Headstrong Brute and a March of the Drowned.

Also rename the deck Dire Dire Drafting because reasons.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like a pretty alright build to me, though I'd maybe add Heartless Pillage and drop the Headstrong Brute and a March of the Drowned.

Also rename the deck Dire Dire Drafting because reasons.

I'll take another look and see how thing work out, thanks. I think I'll hang onto both March of the Drowned until I get a good grasp on how slow this set is in limited. I figured being able to reliably bring back some of my tougher pirates would help in a deadlocked boardstate, which has happened a lot in my (admittedly minimal) draft experience.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not roping to be a dick. Just had to figure out how to take a screenshot on my tablet.

OOoof. That one's rough :(

Sooo, it's kind of annoying that you can't review your draft deck after you finish your run. I wanted to get a screen shot of this sweet red/white dino deck I managed to get six wins with. Like, it might be nice even if they just left the deck in the collection to view. Sometimes a draft deck just comes together and it'd be nice to try and fix it for standard, ya know?

I had a Sky Terror and that dude did so much work. Menace and flying is just brutal if you can slap a strong enchantment like a Tilonalli's Crown or a Prying Blade up on them early. Basically ends the game to straight damage or mana ramp. Just gotta dodge those pacify effects. Sadly never got to cast the Zacama I drew in the first pack. I even had solid mana fixing for him with treasure tokens but it was just not meant to be.

Oct 25, 2017
I am REALLY getting tired of consecutive Thought Erasure / Thought Erasure / Thought Erasure / (mono red deck) / Thought Erasure opponents in ranked.

Oct 25, 2017
So what is y'alls strategy for maximizing value from the grind? I don't think drafting is technically the best way to build collection, but it's the most fun way to play so I can't bring myself to just open packs...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So what is y'alls strategy for maximizing value from the grind? I don't think drafting is technically the best way to build collection, but it's the most fun way to play so I can't bring myself to just open packs...

My strategy though I don't consider it grinding as much as trying to get as much play out of my resources is:

Do daily quests and the win rewards for gold.

Take gold and enter drafts and win gems.

Take gems and enter sealed.

I get distracted by events sometimes but there's nothing wrong with that, and you can play the always on constructed event that tends to give decent prizes if you're decent, but yeah that's pretty much my strat.

Feb 16, 2018

try not to spend wildcards on rares from a set until you're mostly done opening packs from it. eventually the duplicate protection will get you what you need, assuming you play regularly

i wanted some of the lands from the newest set, but i knew i was going to get 4-of all the rares so i didn't spend wildcards on them

Oct 25, 2017
My strategy though I don't consider it grinding as much as trying to get as much play out of my resources is:

Do daily quests and the win rewards for gold.

Take gold and enter drafts and win gems.

Take gems and enter sealed.

I get distracted by events sometimes but there's nothing wrong with that, and you can play the always on constructed event that tends to give decent prizes if you're decent, but yeah that's pretty much my strat.

That's basically what I do, although I've been spending gems to just draft more. Is Sealed just better EV than draft?

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what I do, although I've been spending gems to just draft more. Is Sealed just better EV than draft?

I mean, technically sealed gives you more cards per pack, since it's like a 15 card booster from paper magic. But draft gives you the opportunity to be a little selective. I think the currency difference is what will guide most folks choice.

Edit: I'm an idiot. You draft from 15 too right? Never mind me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember, and this is what I have to make myself remember coming from games like Hearthstone, ultimately you're supposedly playing a game for some measure of fun from it, not just collecting cards. Otherwise it turns into a grind and you're simultaneously addicted, which is no good.

So even though having 1 of each card is my goal and I enjoy collecting the Pokemon and playing draft/sealed more than almost anything else in the game, it doesn't hurt to occasionally spend a few hundred gold on a weekend event, especially if you have fun doing it!

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember, and this is what I have to make myself remember coming from games like Hearthstone, ultimately you're supposedly playing a game for some measure of fun from it, not just collecting cards. Otherwise it turns into a grind and you're simultaneously addicted, which is no good.

So even though having 1 of each card is my goal and I enjoy collecting the Pokemon and playing draft/sealed more than almost anything else in the game, it doesn't hurt to occasionally spend a few hundred gold on a weekend event, especially if you have fun doing it!

I agree, which is why I spend gems/gold on Limited as soon as I have enough because I love Limited. But it doesn't hurt to optimize if there's an opportunity to. I never really looked into Sealed, but maybe I should. I have a couple thousand gems right now which I believe would buy a Dominaria Sealed so maybe I should try it.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, which is why I spend gems/gold on Limited as soon as I have enough because I love Limited. But it doesn't hurt to optimize if there's an opportunity to. I never really looked into Sealed, but maybe I should. I have a couple thousand gems right now which I believe would buy a Dominaria Sealed so maybe I should try it.
I like Sealed even more than Draft I think, but I rarely get to play it because of saving up gems. Definitely try it! It's a different experience since instead of choosing stuff sequentially, you solve a "hmm what can I cobble together out of this collection of junk" puzzle. The better value in terms of cards (and a guaranteed 3 packs complete with wildcard progression) is a bonus.

Does anyone know the next sealed event after Dominaria? Last I saw on the calendar, none is announced.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Elaborating on my earlier post, my methodology for counting

Color - Incomplete sets - Needed for completion
Code:
Rare
W  - 1 - 2
U  - 2 - 3
B  - 1 - 1
R  - 1 - 1
G  - 1 - 1
C  - 0 - 0
WU - 1 - 2
WB - 1 - 1
BR - 2 - 3
RG - 2 - 3
UG - 2 - 2

Mythic
W  - 1 - 2
U  - 1 - 2
B  - 1 - 2
R  - 1 - 3
G  - 1 - 3
WU - 1 - 4
WB - 1 - 1
RB - 2 - 6
RG - 2 - 6
Ug - 2 - 8

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I'm only missing one card from the new set, my 4th Rakdos. You know when you get all the cards it's pretty neat to see how fast the gems add up. In total, I'm about 100 rare cards from full rare completion. Getting 5 wins or more fairly regularly in the constructed event adds up.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thief of Sanity is so good against gates.

Go ahead and put Gate Colossus on the top of your library, I'll just attack and keep in my hand for the rest of the game.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For someone with very little interest in drafting, I do 5-10 daily wins a day depending on how well I'm doing, then a buy 7 packs on sunday and get the 3 free packs. 10 packs a week, a guaranteed rare wildcard and 10 random rares/mythics. repeat till a month or so before the next set and save my gold from there. Gets me most if not all the cards I want, with some wildcards left over for the next set.

On that note, stomped my way to diamond with Gruul, 52-19, though maybe 30% of that was from last season. Seems to be pretty consistent so I'll try some Traditional constructed from here and try and get some free gold and rares...

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they release a Phantom Limited format. I always enjoy Drafting/Sealed since you get to play with cards otherwise overlooked, but damn it can be expensive.

damn how do you guys have so many cards? how much money do you drop per set? how often do you play?

I've spent....more than I would like to admit on Arena. It was basically to jumpstart the collection. I started right before RNA and now with my collection I shouldn't really have to spend much going forward given how much I play.

Does Dominaria phase out this summer?

Should be late Sept or early October. War of the Spark in early May. Core 2020 in July-ish. Then something in the fall. Ixalan/Rivals/Dom/Core19 rotate out then.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Opponent reaches Part 2 of this
123.jpg

I play Shalai voice of Plenty
35.jpg

I get Hexproof, so I can't be target of a spell or ability. I have 3 defending creatures along with Shalai.

Come the next turn and that Saga's 3rd ability is in effect, and I am down to 7 HP with the opponent having all 5 or so creatures untapped.
Opponent plays this
166.jpg

They had 4 HP left.
I'll let you figure out the rest :V

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Figuring out those interactions in Magic is always fun. I hope they add puzzles to the game that would explore stuff like that. I love the puzzles in Eternal CCG.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Opponent uses Mirror March.
Gets 5 flips to their favour and creatres 5 Carnage Tyrant Tokens with haste.
This fucking game man.

Oct 25, 2017
I've muddled my way into gold 4, but now it's just an endless chain of white/black/blue Teferi decks, with an occasional creature or two thrown in. Is there anything that counters those especially hard without taking a million years?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've muddled my way into gold 4, but now it's just an endless chain of white/black/blue Teferi decks, with an occasional creature or two thrown in. Is there anything that counters those especially hard without taking a million years?
You might have to invest in some Carnage Tyrants as well as Cindervines.

Gruul as a whole does decently well against Esper Control if you don't allow them to set up.

Oct 25, 2017
You might have to invest in some Carnage Tyrants as well as Cindervines.

Gruul as a whole does decently well against Esper Control if you don't allow them to set up.
I have a carnage tyrant, but unfortunately I was already well into all lands being exiled by that point. I didn't have any way to stop the setup, since they had 4 destruction / counterspells in their opening hand.

Even better, the most recent I played against was a no-win-condition Teferi deck, or possibly the only win condition was a single Eldest Reborn which failed early. There might have been another one and both could have been intended to remove Carnage Tyrants.

Sep 14, 2018

Nothing hard counters Esper currently, I have been spanking them left and right with Grixis, which is pretty much just Dimir with Bolas thrown in, but I take it that's not your kinda thing.

Maybe mono blue? A little boring but I think that's a good matchup for blue.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing hard counters Esper currently, I have been spanking them left and right with Grixis, which is pretty much just Dimir with Bolas thrown in, but I take it that's not your kinda thing.

Maybe mono blue? A little boring but I think that's a good matchup for blue.
I wouldn't mind Grixis if it can win in the first 20 cards. I just don't want 15-minute matches if I'm trying to get out of gold 4.

I don't THINK the cindervines would help much since they'd have the same problem any other creature or enchantment would have -- immediate counterspell or Teferi exile.

I'll give mono blue a try for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I immediately got a chance to try the matchup with mono blue and it doesn't have any effect against it. I had siren, pteramander, trickster, counterspells, and hexproof to start. It didn't matter against negate, negate, cry (untargeted so you can't protect), kaya's wrath, absorb topdeck.

I don't know if I was unlucky or not, but I welcome other suggestions, or advice on how to tailor the GLHFGodbless deck against an endless series of Teferi black/white/blue.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
does the deck have red in it? I keep a banefire in my jeskai angels deck sb and its a nice sideboard drop in when I get matched up against blue decks.

Oct 25, 2017
I had another mono blue test against Teferi. From topdeck, they played:

Destroy
Board wipe (countered)
Board wipe
Teferi
Destroy (countered)
Thought erasure (attempted to counter, but the counter was countered)
Destroy

By that point they had Teferi and 7 lands already, and I had 3 lands, no creatures, and almost no cards. Is there a mono blue paradigm I'm missing that would allow you to survive? I haven't seen any way for it to work without truly incredible luck like the other player drawing no Teferi in the top 25.

does the deck have red in it? I keep a banefire in my jeskai angels deck sb and its a nice sideboard drop in when I get matched up against blue decks.
Here's what I'm currently running. This is best-of-1 and I realize that's a philosophical thing -- unfortunately I want to stick with best-of-1 for now to see if I can at least get to gold 2.

4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
10 Forest (RIX) 196
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
2 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
2 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
2 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
2 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
1 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
2 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
1 Domri, Chaos Bringer (RNA) 166
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
1 Enter the Unknown (RIX) 128
3 Gruul Guildgate (RNA) 250
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179

1 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
1 Vivien's Invocation (M19) 209
3 Crushing Canopy (GRN) 126
1 Cindervines (RNA) 161
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm that seems a little too midrangey and unfocused. I dont know of rhythm is worth it with all the mortifys and such.

I think there was another user here recently having success with Gruul, look in the previous pages, that deck should do fine vs Esper.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that seems a little too midrangey and unfocused. I dont know of rhythm is worth it with all the mortifys and such.

I think there was another user here recently having success with Gruul, look in the previous pages, that deck should do fine vs Esper.
That is the deck that the user posted from the previous page with a few cards missing because I don't own them. :P I even have the same sideboard.

Oct 25, 2017
Well dang I just gave in to do a Dominaria Sealed since I'm missing so many knights. 6 legendary cards:

unknown.png

Which if any of these are worth building around?

*edit* And I didn't pull any knights. X_X

*edit2*

unknown.png

I'm trying to learn from last time with double mana costs, so I'm fine cutting to two colors or two with a tiny splash. I think my white and red were very weak so this is everything I think might be useful in the sealed run. I did leave out Academy Drake, Unwind, and Syncopate -- let me know if someone feels those would help.

Last edited: