• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
My Dominaria sealed pool was literally unplayable. It simply could not make playables and the bombs were all gold with wacky color overlap. Jhoira (UR), Tatiova (UG), Belzenlok (BB), Aryel (BW). Two of my rares were lands. Easy 0-3 and spew of my gems. :(

Oct 28, 2017
Well dang I just gave in to do a Dominaria Sealed since I'm missing so many knights. 6 legendary cards:

unknown.png

Which if any of these are worth building around?

*edit* And I didn't pull any knights. X_X

*edit2*

unknown.png

I'm trying to learn from last time with double mana costs, so I'm fine cutting to two colors or two with a tiny splash. I think my white and red were very weak so this is everything I think might be useful in the sealed run. I did leave out Academy Drake, Unwind, and Syncopate -- let me know if someone feels those would help.

I don't know what all of those cards do by name alone, but your mana curve is extremely heavy on the top end. You'll lose before you can ever get going. I'd cut the early Rona, Disciple of Gix and In Bolas' Clutches for sure. You won't have blue reliably enough to cast either when you'd want to. I realize there's a dream of getting Bolas Clutches out over and over again, but you've probably already won if that can happen and it rarely will, instead the card would just sit in your hand as a dead card. Cold-Water Snapper I would also cut - it's a good card, but you have much better in the top. Karazov is a 4/4 Flier for 7 that might eventually get bigger in this deck. Cut it.

Finally, I'd also cut Pardic Wanderer.

Probably also cut a Yargle or Windgrace Acolyte. Don't know what those do but Cloudreader and Eldest Reborn are solid 5 drops you should keep.

Your mana base is terrible. You need early green bad and are only running 4 Forests! I'd go 7 Swamp, 7 Forest, 4 Island just eyeballing it.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*edit2*

unknown.png

I'm trying to learn from last time with double mana costs, so I'm fine cutting to two colors or two with a tiny splash. I think my white and red were very weak so this is everything I think might be useful in the sealed run. I did leave out Academy Drake, Unwind, and Syncopate -- let me know if someone feels those would help.

Your mix of lands seem way off here. You need a lot more Forests. Even though you have more black mana symbols overall, the majority of your low drops are green, so you need to be able to have a confident chance of having a Forest on turn 2. Drop some islands, probably don't play the In Bolas' Clutches even though it's very good. It just isn't spashable.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what all of those cards do by name alone, but your mana curve is extremely heavy on the top end. You'll lose before you can ever get going. I'd cut the early Rona, Disciple of Gix and In Bolas' Clutches for sure. You won't have blue reliably enough to cast either when you'd want to. I realize there's a dream of getting Bolas Clutches out over and over again, but you've probably already won if that can happen and it rarely will, instead the card would just sit in your hand as a dead card. Cold-Water Snapper I would also cut - it's a good card, but you have much better in the top. Karazov is a 4/4 Flier for 7 that might eventually get bigger in this deck. Cut it.

Finally, I'd also cut Pardic Wanderer.

Probably also cut a Yargle or Windgrace Acolyte. Don't know what those do but Cloudreader and Eldest Reborn are solid 5 drops you should keep.

Your mana base is terrible. You need early green bad and are only running 4 Forests! I'd go 7 Swamp, 7 Forest, 4 Island just eyeballing it.
Thanks for the input. The mana base was definitely placeholder depending on what cards I ended up going with. I did indeed expect to cut Bolas' Clutches, and sadly I didn't get the turtle-flying card so I guess I should give up snapper despite the hexproof.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Well I hope y'all did save your Mythic WCs.

What's more, each of these 36 Planeswalkers will have a planeswalker card in War of the Spark. (The card art will be different, though—in fact, these stained-glass versions aren't appearing on cards at all!) You'll have to wait for War of the Spark previews in April to see the new cards, but each booster pack will contain a planeswalker so you should have no trouble getting your hands on them when the set is released.

I wonder how it'll work for Arena. Paper packs have long had an extra insert. I guess we should expect 8+1 packs?

edit: WAR drafts / sealed are gonna be nutty.

Oct 25, 2017
Omniscience drafting:

Cast Final Parting.
Get Slinn Voda and Garna. Put Slinn Voda into the graveyard.
Cast Garna, get Slinn Voda out of the graveyard.
Kick Slinn Voda.
Recast my hand.
Attack for 26 hasty damage thanks to Garna.

Omniscience draft is a complete coin flip format - either you draw the good end of your deck or the ass end (and every deck has an ass end since you pretty much have to play every card you draft). But it makes for some good stories.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

Paper Magic packs have 16 cards (1 R/M, 3 UC, 10 C, 1 land, and 1 'marketing card'), 15+1. The marketing card is sometimes set/pack specific like a Token a creature would make. So I'm wondering if the planeswalkers will just occupy that spot in the pack. Arena packs don't have the land or marketing card, so 8+1 being that. People over on Reddit seem to think the planeswalkers will just be different rarities, so who knows.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is gonna get weird. Looking at recent sets there have normally been about 15 mythic and 50ish rares. Having 36 planeswalkers means they have to be dropping to rare for at least half of them, and would they even print multiple versions of specific characters in one set? But if they are guaranteeing a planeswalker in every pack then who knows what's gonna happen. I mean, they can't print nothing but planeswalkers in rare and mythic.

Oct 28, 2017
Paper Magic packs have 16 cards (1 R/M, 3 UC, 10 C, 1 land, and 1 'marketing card'), 15+1. The marketing card is sometimes set/pack specific like a Token a creature would make. So I'm wondering if the planeswalkers will just occupy that spot in the pack. Arena packs don't have the land or marketing card, so 8+1 being that. People over on Reddit seem to think the planeswalkers will just be different rarities, so who knows.

Dominaria guaranteed a Legendary in every pack, no reason they can't do the same thing here. They'll just drop Planeswalkers down to rare and uncommon. They have to do uncommon because 36 or 44 doesn't make up enough slots to fill all of the rares and mythics (and frankly, I don't think anyone would want a set with no rares except planeswalkers).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wish they'd dig up Garruk. He was one of my first planeswalkers and I always had a soft spot for the suffering he went through.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Dominaria guaranteed a Legendary in every pack, no reason they can't do the same thing here. They'll just drop Planeswalkers down to rare and uncommon. They have to do uncommon because 36 or 44 doesn't make up enough slots to fill all of the rares and mythics (and frankly, I don't think anyone would want a set with no rares except planeswalkers).

Were Legendaries different rarities before that? Just feels odd to have non-Mythic Planeswalkers. They've always been Mythic (outside the first 5).

Feb 16, 2018
ok thanks

i wasn't sure if it was exactly like the omniscience card or something different

there might be a situation where the WUBRG mana seems to go away between phases after you start to spend some of it. it wasn't exactly clear to me

anyways, i went 7-0 with this
qAACPxe.jpg

format is stupid, but might be a decent way to farm gems

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can put up with a lot of bullshit in this game, but land destruction decks need to go burn in hell

When they don't work it's like "aww, how cute, you tried" and when they do it fills me with the burning fires of rage like nothing else

Oct 28, 2017
ok thanks

i wasn't sure if it was exactly like the omniscience card or something different

there might be a situation where the WUBRG mana seems to go away between phases after you start to spend some of it. it wasn't exactly clear to me

anyways, i went 7-0 with this
qAACPxe.jpg

format is stupid, but might be a decent way to farm gems

I found it to be relatively fun last time, but hardly consistent enough to want to try to farm it. I will probably do at least one, though. Why did you run Mox Amber?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it normal that ranked draft just completely ignores rank? I just got battered by 3 Gold opponents in a row and I'm only Bronze tier 3. I'm like 50/50 on draft being a fun experience or an absolutely terrible one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My first Dominaria sealed opponent got 2x Lyra. OK. :(

They also topdecked a card that made me discard my one Pierce the Sky the turn before they played the second Lyra.

*edit* Second Dominaria sealed opponent? Their pool has 2x Zhalfirin Void and 2x Seal Away. I only drew 5 lands in 17 cards, even with 18 in the deck. OK. :(

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal that ranked draft just completely ignores rank? I just got battered by 3 Gold opponents in a row and I'm only Bronze tier 3. I'm like 50/50 on draft being a fun experience or an absolutely terrible one.

Sort of. The pool of players for Draft is a lot smaller so it has to be a little aggressive finding opponents I think. There's also some hidden MMR stuff going on apparently.

Oct 25, 2017
To finish off the 0-3 Dominaria run, I think I had drawn In Bolas' Clutches in the opening hand every single game, and in the final game I drew it for the first, second, AND third mulligan. That's 0.3%! Good times.

I guess it's what I get for listening to someone else who suggested I keep it. :P

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sort of. The pool of players for Draft is a lot smaller so it has to be a little aggressive finding opponents I think. There's also some hidden MMR stuff going on apparently.

I mean I can understand that experience doesn't help you if your opponent got better cards. All I know is, in draft I've only gone up against bronze or gold, and I've never won against a gold.

I'm just venting really. I think for my own sanity I'll have to give up draft entirely. It's far too draining to spend a week's worth of play saving up for something that is very likely going to be a miserable experience, with little more than a pack and 50 gems as consolation. I'd love to get better but it's just too expensive to play it more than 2 or 3 times a month. And I'm sure as hell not spending real money on it.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I can put up with a lot of bullshit in this game, but land destruction decks need to go burn in hell

When they don't work it's like "aww, how cute, you tried" and when they do it fills me with the burning fires of rage like nothing else
Yeah, it is pretty damn unfun when they actually work... but to be fair, they honestly suck pretty bad in standard last I checked, so it is what it is. Now damn control everywhere can piss you off real easily and is both strong and prevalent.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
yo i love this game - so many options

last weekend i played dominaria sealed, next weekend is ranked ravnica allegience

but this weekend i'm just dicking around making bo1 fun decks like i used to as a kid. before netdecks, just making solid decks and playing for fun.

adanto vanguard & ixalan's binding put in work until chance for glory & banefire sealed the deal

Oct 25, 2017
Omniscience draft is some grade A bullshit. Both the good and bad kind. I've turn one'd opponents multiple times, but thereve been just as many games where I was 0% to win from the opener. The card draw spells are so absurdly powerful; if you have a Weight of Memory in your opener and your opponent doesn't you're probably 95% to win that game.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So I built bant mill and I love it.

//Non-creature Spells (36):
2 Chart a Course
4 Divination
2 Patient Rebuilding
4 Psychic Corrosion
4 Gift of Paradise
4 Pause for Reflection
4 Root Snare
4 Gaea's Blessing
2 Healing Grace
4 Opt
2 Settle the Wreckage

//Lands (24):
2 Glacial Fortress
8 Island
7 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
2 Hinterland Harbor
1 Sunpetal Grove

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
bought another box of guilds of ravnica. i think if i just spend my gold on ravnica allegience (plus my gems on ranked drafting next week), i should have enough of that set filled out by spark.

i'll be happy to be mostly caught up - having a real blast with this. phone client can't come out soon enough.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm going up against a lot of funky WU artifact decks, with Azor's Gateway, Voltaic Servant, that guy who makes artifacts 5/5s etc. It's nice to see something new once in a while.

Dec 4, 2017
i can't see Hasbro funding an F2P game that requires constant developer attention without a mobile client in the works - esp given all the old mtg ios clients

otherwise i look forward magic duels of the planeswalker 2021 after arena dies
Well, on PC at least, Arena is almost as popular as Hearthstone (not least because some people consider HS to have become stale). And it draws more of a crowd than the other card games combined.
An impediment to getting it on mobile is the small size of the cards, combined with the many areas of the game board.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know if there's anything quite as unnerving as Duress/Divest-ing someone's otherwise perfectly normal starting hand and seeing a Crucible of Worlds.

On the other side of the fence, it's always fun to have your opponent see your janky hand and momentarily freeze while they try to figure out what the hell your gameplan is.

Oct 25, 2017
The other day someone Thought Erasure'd me only to find my 3-card hand was all lands.

That was fun except for the part where I drew like 9 lands in my top 14 cards and lost. :P

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
War Story time:
So my Bant Mill deck has been fairly successful

Code:
//Non-creature Spells (36):
2 Chart a Course
4 Divination
2 Patient Rebuilding
4 Psychic Corrosion
4 Gift of Paradise
4 Pause for Reflection
2 Sphinx's Insight
4 Root Snare
4 Gaea's Blessing
4 Opt
2 Settle the Wreckage

//Lands (24):
2 Glacial Fortress
8 Island
7 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
2 Hinterland Harbor
1 Sunpetal Grove

But I just had a match against Azorius Mill that was super informative

Dozens of turns deep into the match and look at the board states. Thing is? This is me winning. By this point in the game I couldn't play anything or else he might exile it or return cards to his deck with Devious Cover Up. But as long as I didn't play anything, he had no wincon. Why? Because of the four Gaea's Blessings sitting in my deck that he had no way of dealing with as long as I didn't play them Even if I drew any I just had to keep my hand overfilled so I could send it back to the graveyard and have it shuffled back in the next time he milled one.

Long story short, it was an informative game that I won by doing damn near nothing. Also, I need to put Consecrate in my sideboard.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll ask for the third time...is there any way to change the land art anymore? Typing in the land name and pressing reset doesn't work anymore.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
So you have to import the land codes into a new deck. You could import say all the land into one deck, and delete all the unneeded land. Or you could just import the land you want.

Or you could make decks with all the cool lands you already like and copy those decks just for the land for the future.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe you have to import a deck with the appropriate land including the expansion and card number.
I have to do what with what and what? xD

Sorry, I've not heard about any of these things so far. How do you import decks and from where? And what does it mean when you say the deck needs the expansion and card number?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you have to import the land codes into a new deck. You could import say all the land into one deck, and delete all the unneeded land. Or you could just import the land you want.

Or you could make decks with all the cool lands you already like and copy those decks just for the land for the future.
I...don't get what you're saying here. At all, lol. I can't select the lands, that's the entire problem.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have to do what with what and what? xD

Sorry, I've not heard about any of these things so far. How do you import decks and from where? And what does it mean when you say the deck needs the expansion and card number?

When you click on a deck, click Export at the bottom of the screen. This puts the decklist on your clipboard, so you can paste it into Notepad or something. Then change the set code and number corresponding to the land art you want (here's a handy album).

Then highlight the decklist and copy it. Go back into MTGA, go to decks, and click Import. This will create a new deck for the decklist currently on your clipboard, with your chosen land art.

It's roundabout and unwieldy, I know. Here's hoping the deck builder eventually gets updated for straightforward land art selection.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you click on a deck, click Export at the bottom of the screen. This puts the decklist on your clipboard, so you can paste it into Notepad or something. Then change the set code and number corresponding to the land art you want (here's a handy album).

Then highlight the decklist and copy it. Go back into MTGA, go to decks, and click Import. This will create a new deck for the decklist currently on your clipboard, with your chosen land art.

It's roundabout and unwieldy, I know. Here's hoping the deck builder eventually gets updated for straightforward land art selection.
Wow ok...thanks.
My only question left is why for crying out loud we have to do it like this...The fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow ok...thanks.
My only question left is why for crying out loud we have to do it like this...The fuck.
The only thing I can guess is that they're planning to lock alt land art behind a paywall, which feels like a major step backwards to me. Even if they were going to do that, making this weird half change is a bad way to start in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Omniscience draft is barely Magic but I keep going back for more. I've gone 4-3, 4-3, 2-3, 7-2, and 5-3 so far. I killed a few minutes ago by looping two Garnas over and over again with a Diligent Excavator. I've turn 1'd four times so far. It's so stupid but it's strangely addicting.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The only thing I can guess is that they're planning to lock alt land art behind a paywall, which feels like a major step backwards to me. Even if they were going to do that, making this weird half change is a bad way to start in my opinion.
Maybe, but perhaps they just haven't figured it out yet. It has no gameplay impact and therefore integrating an option to roggle through land art is probably not super high priority.