• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Omniscience draft is barely Magic but I keep going back for more. I've gone 4-3, 4-3, 2-3, 7-2, and 5-3 so far. I killed a few minutes ago by looping two Garnas over and over again with a Diligent Excavator. I've turn 1'd four times so far. It's so stupid but it's strangely addicting.

Yeah I had a few people infinite combo me.

I just finished one going 6-3 where I had literally 27 cards that drew me at least one card. Insane. My final loss was milling myself when I didn't need to because I wasn't paying attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Did one more - went 7-0. Had 10 draw spells plus another 10 cantrips and two tutors. Had two turn one kills with the Cabal Paladin combo.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Just started playing this yesterday. Definitely am enjoying it more than Hearthstone and it scratches a new itch. I played magic very casually as a kid many years ago but it seems like some rules have changed since then but it's very intuitive.

Still using only the premade decks, just got used to the blue and green mix of merfolks and had a nice streak of five wins in a row yesterday. Will probably spend around a week or more just testing out the decks before even thinking of building my own.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I now have a complete set of every RNA common, uncommon, and rare and am officially no longer buying packs in preparation for War of the Spark.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just started playing this yesterday. Definitely am enjoying it more than Hearthstone and it scratches a new itch. I played magic very casually as a kid many years ago but it seems like some rules have changed since then but it's very intuitive.

Still using only the premade decks, just got used to the blue and green mix of merfolks and had a nice streak of five wins in a row yesterday. Will probably spend around a week or more just testing out the decks before even thinking of building my own.

Nice, I would recommend saving your gold and continue to unlock pre-made decks. You'll get 15 decks, and only then should you look to pick up booster packs with your saved gold.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Nice, I would recommend saving your gold and continue to unlock pre-made decks. You'll get 15 decks, and only then should you look to pick up booster packs with your saved gold.
Cheers, yeah I bought one booster lack yesterday cause the game kinda guides you to do it but will look to save up money for pre made decks now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cheers, yeah I bought one booster lack yesterday cause the game kinda guides you to do it but will look to save up money for pre made decks now.

Your pre made decks will be free just by logging in & playing for 10 or 11 days.

It will flesh out your collection, and give you a full set (4) of some cards. When you go to open packs, they will not contain any card you have a full set of.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Your pre made decks will be free just by logging in & playing for 10 or 11 days.

It will flesh out your collection, and give you a full set (4) of some cards. When you go to open packs, they will not contain any card you have a full set of.
If you haven't already, you can use the codes PlayRavnica and PlayAllegiance for 3 free boosters each from Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance respectively.
Cool thanks a lot guys!

Oct 25, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the duplicate protection only applies to rares and mythics*

*edited because I forgot mythics*

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to get out of gold 4. Before I give up, which do you all think would be best for climbing in best of 1 at this level?

Red
Blue
Red/green

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Just drafted 5 Legion Conquistadors. Let's see how this goes.

Edit: Meh, rest of the deck was a little too bad. Also, Ixalan is apparently a set of auto-winning legendary lands.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That Omniscience draft was neat. I like these experimental events. I went against someone who had so much card draw.

Oct 25, 2017
Nexus of Fate was banned from best-of-1 because of the miserable play experience with people exploiting it. If anything else becomes a massive exploit / hurts the experience so that people quit, I assume they might soft ban it too.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Nexus of Fate was banned from best-of-1 because of the miserable play experience with people exploiting it. If anything else becomes a massive exploit / hurts the experience so that people quit, I assume they might soft ban it too.

I don't play Nexus, but I wouldn't call casting an Instant at Instant speed an exploit :P

I've been reading a lot of the M-Files on their site (basically they post their internal discussions regarding the designs of various cards after sets are released). Numerous cards are tweaked to avoid "extra clicks" when resolving spells / triggers for MTGO and MTGA. Funny how that never came up when testing NoF and WR....

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play Nexus, but I wouldn't call casting an Instant at Instant speed an exploit :P

I've been reading a lot of the M-Files on their site (basically they post their internal discussions regarding the designs of various cards after sets are released). Numerous cards are tweaked to avoid "extra clicks" when resolving spells / triggers for MTGO and MTGA. Funny how that never came up when testing NoF and WR....
That's not what I'm referring to. Making a game last infinitely with no win condition by taking an infinite series of consecutive turns without allowing the opponent to take a turn and without changing the game state is the exploit. It was to the point where a local player wrote a script that would just click to resolve the trigger infinitely, so they would eventually win even if it took an hour or two for the other player to give up. In real life it wouldn't work because a judge would force the players to fast-forward to the end of the infinite loop.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I'm referring to. Making a game last infinitely with no win condition by taking an infinite series of consecutive turns without allowing the opponent to take a turn and without changing the game state is the exploit. It was to the point where a local player wrote a script that would just click to resolve the trigger infinitely, so they would eventually win even if it took an hour or two for the other player to give up. In real life it wouldn't work because a judge would force the players to fast-forward to the end of the infinite loop.

Was that their official reason for banning in Bo1? That would still affect Bo3, though you could obvious sideboard to help prevent it. So will NoF come back if they implement chess timers or automatic draw detection?

Oct 25, 2017
Was that their official reason for banning in Bo1? That would still affect Bo3, though you could obvious sideboard to help prevent it. So will NoF come back if they implement chess timers or automatic draw detection?
That I don't know. I wish a chess timer was an option.

I think they did mention that they would try to watch more closely if players are reported to see if they're abusing the system in the future, and the soft ban was just to improve the play experience.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That would still affect Bo3, though you could obvious sideboard to help prevent it.

I think that's the crux of why it wasn't banned in Bo3. At least in Bo1 you don't have to craft your mainboard to specifically counter Nexus.

I don't think either Nexus of Fate or Wilderness Reclamation are completely dominating in their own right (as powerful as they can be), but combined they make for far more consistent Nexus looping.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't going to ban it in Arena BO3 if they aren't going to also ban it in paper because it's super important to them for Arena to be a place that you can test for paper Standard. Beyond the fact that it isn't warping the format, the reason they are super incentivized *not* to ban it in paper is that it was an exclusive Buy a Box promo that people paid a lot of money for.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I also forgot about the Mythic Bo1 Championship this month. They needed to ban it because having a game get stuck in an infinite loop is a real bad look for your esport.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, got to Platinum Constructed for the first time. Just been playing Sultai just with various plus/minuses of card choices of the usual stuff as things went on. Today was apparently the "everyone is playing Izzet Drakes" day, which doesn't feel like a particularly great matchup, but pulled through it.

Probably the most helpful thing I started doing was cutting Wildgrowth Walkers way more than I had been after going to sideboard. They're really only good against the aggro decks that attack on the ground. Which honestly isn't that many of them. It might feel good when you get a free win in game 2 or 3 with the ole Walker -> Jadelight in the mid-rangey games, but that doesn't actually happen that often. Other thing was having Krul Harpooners and starting to just take out everything expensive vs Mono Blue. I'd been stupidly trying to go for longer games vs them and that just wasn't working.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone replied with ranked gold 4 best-of-1 suggestions, so I think my plan the next time I can sit down and try hard in ranked is to play something like 10-20 mono-blue games and record the opposing decks and results. That's a small sample, but it might give me an idea of whether I have any hope or just need to change decks again.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone replied with ranked gold 4 best-of-1 suggestions, so I think my plan the next time I can sit down and try hard in ranked is to play something like 10-20 mono-blue games and record the opposing decks and results. That's a small sample, but it might give me an idea of whether I have any hope or just need to change decks again.
Play bo3, you will rank faster.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There isn't one specific deck that's gonna be the secret for getting out of Gold. If you have the "base" version of any of the decks you listed (Blue, Red, Gruul) and aren't playing any placeholder cards, it should be possible to get the > 50% win ratio you need. There might be some tuning you can do for best of 1 with playing more "sideboardish" cards vs whatever deck is popular right now but it should be possible with any of those, assuming decent play. Just know that in BO1 it's gonna be a lot about luck, because there's just less room for play in each individual match.

I would recommend just playing one deck instead of switching it up a lot, just to learn some good play patterns with them, what's a keepable hand, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't one specific deck that's gonna be the secret for getting out of Gold. If you have the "base" version of any of the decks you listed (Blue, Red, Gruul) and aren't playing any placeholder cards, it should be possible to get the > 50% win ratio you need. There might be some tuning you can do for best of 1 with playing more "sideboardish" cards vs whatever deck is popular right now but it should be possible with any of those, assuming decent play. Just know that in BO1 it's gonna be a lot about luck, because there's just less room for play in each individual match.

I would recommend just playing one deck instead of switching it up a lot, just to learn some good play patterns with them, what's a keepable hand, etc.
Yep and that's what I've been doing, focusing on one deck at a time. I'm just wondering if I need to do some sideboard-ish alterations to deal with what's popular right now. I will update with further quest developments.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are probably playing Bo1 now since the streamers/pros/etc are practicing for that Bo1 event at PAX East this month. So it might be harder/easier to ladder. https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/b019p6/any_good_sites_for_b01_decks/ popped up on Reddit yesterday. Specifically, check out Martin Juza's Streamdecker (pro tour guy) testing Bo1: here. If anything, Bo1 is probably pretty diverse now with the increased attention on it.

edit: how many of y'all ladder aggressively? A buddy of mine is trying to get out of Plat 1/2 for Diamond and it just sounds miserable. I typically keep to the events since I like the isolated experience. I kinda wanna push into high ranks for the Internet points, but I dunno if it seems worth it.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
edit: how many of y'all ladder aggressively? A buddy of mine is trying to get out of Plat 1/2 for Diamond and it just sounds miserable. I typically keep to the events since I like the isolated experience. I kinda wanna push into high ranks for the Internet points, but I dunno if it seems worth it.

It'd probably be way more profitable for me just to grind the Traditional Constructed event, but I won't deny the nice feeling I got when I hit Platinum last night for the first time. Just think of all the temporary good feelings if I got to Diamond! Realistically since there's no way I'd play enough to get Mythic it probably isn't actually worth it.

Oct 28, 2017
a win in bo1 move you 1 step further, while winning a bo3 match is 2 steps, to rank up in bo1 you have to win 6 time vs the 3 times of bo3.
the dailies counts each game ofc.

This is fantastic. I've been wanting to play Esper Control but it's just not great in BO1 trying to guess the meta and hope I draw answers. BO3 is much more up my alley. I love sideboarding. So thanks for mentioning this! I know what I"m doing tonight.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are probably playing Bo1 now since the streamers/pros/etc are practicing for that Bo1 event at PAX East this month. So it might be harder/easier to ladder. https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/b019p6/any_good_sites_for_b01_decks/ popped up on Reddit yesterday. Specifically, check out Martin Juza's Streamdecker (pro tour guy) testing Bo1: here. If anything, Bo1 is probably pretty diverse now with the increased attention on it.

I'm currently tying to get out of the Gold dungeon, Tier 2 right now. I normally try to push myself to advance a Tier about once a week or so. It can be really demoralizing if you go into a losing streak.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not as low as you think. It's ~7% to get 0 lands without fixing or about 0.5% after the fixing (0.07^2). So you'll see that every 200 games. Going to 20 lands changes it to every 500 games.

Oct 25, 2017
Darn I just drafted my first Mastermind's Acquisition. I thought I had found a clever way to bring some powerful card from my collection, but nope, you can't sideboard in draft.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Darn I just drafted my first Mastermind's Acquisition. I thought I had found a clever way to bring some powerful card from my collection, but nope, you can't sideboard in draft.
All the card that you drafted that aren't in your Deck should be your sideboard in draft, so you should be able to tutor them with MA.

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Diary,

Today I learned not to put an enchantment on my own vehicle while it's in creature form.

My opponent randomly surrendered the next turn, maybe because they felt sorry for me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Dear Diary,

Today I learned not to put an enchantment on my own vehicle while it's in creature form.

My opponent randomly surrendered the next turn, maybe because they felt sorry for me.

Every now and then I'll do something like that and then just sit back and think, well, I'm boned. And then the opponent concedes like 2 turns from finishing me off. Maybe they don't see it. Maybe they have sudden onset diarrhea.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sometimes I wish I had a way to contact people I just played with on ladder and ask "Does that deck really ever work?" Like the random 120-card mess I just beat.