• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
should honestly retire now cause ill never have a more enjoyable win than this. the board state is almost as ridiculous as the opponent.

(have zero creatures left in play, opponent put himself at 1 life by attacking into a cruel celebrant and a couple chumps)

u47uC1k.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I had a match where I got him down to like 3 life, but he stabilized and got out 3 planeswalkers. I had to chump away all my creatures and only won because I hung on for 3 turns while their Dreadhorde Invasion pinged them for one each turn.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone mind throwing me a nice reliable list for a BO1 deck to slam out enough to up to gold at least before the season changes real quick? Didn't notice the styles, and I generally just play constructed event, so yeeeeah... Just want to get that knocked out. (My collection is rock solid right now, just don't want to do the testing and crap with the new cards on my own right now while in a hurry to finish up this stuff.)

Oct 28, 2017

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Sealed WAR is the least fun I have had playing Magic since Mirrodin. I think it may be time for me to quit MTG again for a while.

Oct 28, 2017
Sealed WAR is the least fun I have had playing Magic since Mirrodin. I think it may be time for me to quit MTG again for a while.

Really? I've been loving it. I went 1-2 in 2HG this past weekend and was able to Finale of Destruction out a Niv Mizzet. There's a lot of great synergy and the fixing is so bad that you can run a rough deck and still have fun. I do think it's a little tilted towards bombs and black, but overall I think it's far better than the previous two sets.

I'm super excited to try draft tonight. Even more excited for draft in person this weekend. I hated RNA draft but I've got a really good feeling about this.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've been loving it. I went 1-2 in 2HG this past weekend and was able to Finale of Destruction out a Niv Mizzet. There's a lot of great synergy and the fixing is so bad that you can run a rough deck and still have fun. I do think it's a little tilted towards bombs and black, but overall I think it's far better than the previous two sets.

I feel like I'm flipping coins. That said, I'm playing on Arena and not in person, so sweet things happening on my opponents' side is not fun at all.

The minute the idea of taking a long break from MTG came into my head I felt so relieved. I think I stopped having my fun partway through GRN, and I was playing to keep up my Arena collection. I got obsessed with maximizing my value so I could collect the whole sets.

I've been playing MTG pretty hard (almost every day) for 2 years now, which is longer than I have ever played with this intensity level. I love the game but I let it get into my head to the point of becoming a burden instead of fun. I am sure I will be back again when I have reset.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I had the impression Bo3 had more variety than Bo1 but it feels like 95% of the games are either Temur Reclamation or Grixis Control. Maybe it's just the way the matchmaking treats my deck, but it just feels like a waste to sideboard against aggro when I never seem to run into it.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone mind throwing me a nice reliable list for a BO1 deck to slam out enough to up to gold at least before the season changes real quick? Didn't notice the styles, and I generally just play constructed event, so yeeeeah... Just want to get that knocked out. (My collection is rock solid right now, just don't want to do the testing and crap with the new cards on my own right now while in a hurry to finish up this stuff.)
Nevermind, did it with mono-red. Note to self to check that crap ahead of time in the future and do it over the course of the month, as climbing to gold in one day was a damn pain and a bit much. And screw trying to make it to Platinum by midday tomorrow.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I was out of town since Friday and I just got back in and jammed out some sealed. Maaaaan, WAR is weird. I don't know if it's just the super random nature of sealed, but either I get good walkers with terrible creatures that can't protect the board, or just super average creatures that can't contest the weird shenanigans my opponents can run.

The two good games I had was being able to resolve ajani and nissa. Threatening a Nissa emblem with a few 5/5 lands is crazy.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Any interesting custom deck builds using cards from war of spark to try out? I cant think of a particular deck to make atm and looking for inspirations :x

Sep 14, 2018
Any interesting custom deck builds using cards from war of spark to try out? I cant think of a particular deck to make atm and looking for inspirations :x

There is that Temur pod deck that uses Fblthp, Illharg etc. I think Ive seen Aristocrats here and there, self mill with Jace, a ton of superfriends usually with Sarkhan, Idk Ive seen a lot of interesting stuff, I dont know how good they are because I always beat them with some rather extreme control decks, I can show you some of those if you want.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
There is that Temur pod deck that uses Fblthp, Illharg etc. I think Ive seen Aristocrats here and there, self mill with Jace, a ton of superfriends usually with Sarkhan, Idk Ive seen a lot of interesting stuff, I dont know how good they are because I always beat them with some rather extreme control decks, I can show you some of those if you want.
Sure, please do.

The lack of a plaenswalker that is red and green dino themed (huatli is white mana all the way) bums me. Guess ill strick with Domri for now.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Just lost my 7th game in RNA draft cause I didn't know you needed Full Control to do Dagger Caster + Bladebrand. I'm new to RNA so I didn't know or had the sense to Google it. Went 6-3 cause of it. Feels bad.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Been messing around in Bo3 with a mono-black discard deck ("Boo! *Hiss*" etc.), though obviously there's a bit of a struggle in such an enchantment-heavy standard, with most enchantment removal requiring me to splash another colour.

3 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
24 Swamp (WAR) 257
2 Costly Plunder (XLN) 96
3 Toll of the Invasion (WAR) 108
2 Raiders' Wake (XLN) 116
3 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
3 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
3 Spawn of Mayhem (RNA) 85
3 Duress (M19) 94
3 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
3 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82

3 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
2 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
2 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
2 Dreadhorde Invasion (WAR) 86
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90

I wonder if it's worth including a couple of Blast Zones, since my games tend to be fairly drawn out affairs anyway. Anyone have experience with using it as selective removal?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I have somehow pulled 4 Electro-dominance, any ideas on how to build a deck around it?

I was thinking adding green for wilderness reclamation and maybe blue for some counter spells.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just lost my 7th game in RNA draft cause I didn't know you needed Full Control to do Dagger Caster + Bladebrand. I'm new to RNA so I didn't know or had the sense to Google it. Went 6-3 cause of it. Feels bad.

That always sucks. I've seen pro streamers lose out on acting because of not having full control or self ordering their triggers, so don't feel too bad.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have somehow pulled 4 Electro-dominance, any ideas on how to build a deck around it?

I was thinking adding green for wilderness reclamation and maybe blue for some counter spells.

Reclamation is probably the most unfair thing to play with it. You can do stuff like put Niv Mizzet into play with mana left over when you have 5 lands with Reclamation + Electrodominance. A popular decks been doing that with Reclamation + Expansion/Explosion to draw a ton of card.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm super excited to try draft tonight. Even more excited for draft in person this weekend. I hated RNA draft but I've got a really good feeling about this.

I've played 3-4 drafts on Arena and it's quite fun and very different than GRN/RNA draft where you usually just jam an archetype and ignore all other cards. Good fixing and I think I've splashed to 3 or 4 colors in all my drafts except 1. My favorite draft so far was a 5-1 deck where I played 3-color 9 walkers (including Nicol Bolas) and like 4 creatures. It's a unique format.

Sep 14, 2018
Been messing around in Bo3 with a mono-black discard deck ("Boo! *Hiss*" etc.), though obviously there's a bit of a struggle in such an enchantment-heavy standard, with most enchantment removal requiring me to splash another colour.

I wonder if it's worth including a couple of Blast Zones, since my games tend to be fairly drawn out affairs anyway. Anyone have experience with using it as selective removal?

Blast Zone is amazing, especially for troublesome permanents and counterspells, I dont know how good it will be in such a tapout deck though. You might want to try cabal stronghold too since you're mono black.

Have you tried Arterial Flow? That's pretty close to Unburden.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Blast Zone is amazing, especially for troublesome permanents and counterspells, I dont know how good it will be in such a tapout deck though. You might want to try cabal stronghold too since you're mono black.

Have you tried Arterial Flow? That's pretty close to Unburden.

Since my curve tops out at 4 mana, I wasn't really sure how useful Cabal Stronghold would be. I don't often encounter a situation where I feel the need to play too many spells per turn.

As for Arterial Flow, I don't have any Vampires in the deck so the upside never factors in. Heartless Pillage would be a better pick for 3 mana since the upside is more relevant.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
https://twitter.com/arenadecklists?lang=en
and
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...titive-standard-constructed-league-2019-04-29

R, RB and RW aggro, UBx (Grixis seems really strong) control/mid rangey decks, and RG beat down all seem very well positioned right now. I've dinked around with white weenie running 4x of the new tap guy and 2x Gideon and it seems just as brain dead powerful as before. If you have a gigantic powerful brain the Izzet Control deck that runs the Ral infinite combo (Doublecast + Explosion, or any spell + two explosions) or that Temur pod deck look like a lot of fun but are hard to play and honestly kind of a bad idea considering how many fast decks there are right after a rotation. If you're a millionaire, this deck:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Z_tcQWwAAghKz?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like a blast.

I'm trying out an Izzet Drake build with the new Saheeli and it seems good, but I'm winning more games off the back of giant drakes than I am off cute Saheeli stuff so idk how much better it is than the earlier build.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Rushed to gold 4 for constructed yesterday, but I didn't get my limited rewards even though I was Bronze 3? I got 2 packs + 1000 gold only X(.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
https://twitter.com/arenadecklists?lang=en
and
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...titive-standard-constructed-league-2019-04-29

R, RB and RW aggro, UBx (Grixis seems really strong) control/mid rangey decks, and RG beat down all seem very well positioned right now. I've dinked around with white weenie running 4x of the new tap guy and 2x Gideon and it seems just as brain dead powerful as before. If you have a gigantic powerful brain the Izzet Control deck that runs the Ral infinite combo (Doublecast + Explosion, or any spell + two explosions) or that Temur pod deck look like a lot of fun but are hard to play and honestly kind of a bad idea considering how many fast decks there are right after a rotation. If you're a millionaire, this deck:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Z_tcQWwAAghKz?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like a blast.

I'm trying out an Izzet Drake build with the new Saheeli and it seems good, but I'm winning more games off the back of giant drakes than I am off cute Saheeli stuff so idk how much better it is than the earlier build.
Ill try those thanks.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
That always sucks. I've seen pro streamers lose out on acting because of not having full control or self ordering their triggers, so don't feel too bad.
Yeah, I was really bummed out for a while, but not much you can do about it but learn from your mistakes.

Enjoying RNA draft regardless though, but I wish the game would let me draft Rakdos once! I need Rakdos cards for some decks I want to make. I keep getting forced into Gruul.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Learn from my mistakes people! The Lifelink from Dreahorde Invasion only works when you are attacking D: - ruined a decent run because of not reading that correctly.

I think I'm done for sealed so I finally cracked my pre-order packs and somehow ended up with full sets of Fblthp and Ugin. Fblthp is cute and all but I'm pretty sure I'm never running him in standard. The Ugin is interesting because cost reductions are always good, so looks like imma end up making some dumb artifact decks. Is there even anything mono grey/artifact viable in standard?

Rushed to gold 4 for constructed yesterday, but I didn't get my limited rewards even though I was Bronze 3? I got 2 packs + 1000 gold only X(.

Just covering bases, but you did actually play ranked limited this month right? You still gotta have at least 1 ranked match on the books. I know I had Bronze2 or so from last month's decay, but I didn't get any rewards b/c I didn't play any draft this month. I blame the constant M19.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017

I've been playing zombies with Oketra and Teysa Karlov. No one seems to remember that besides doubling death triggers, Teysa also gives tokens vigilance AND Lifelink, which are great on your Amass tokens and 4/4 zombie tokens. Sprinkle with Death Baron, the zombie token lords and death triggers like cruel celebrant to taste, I also like gutterbones to repeatedly make tokens

Sep 14, 2018
3000 people have exported my deck and are presumably winning with it even though I made it like a week before WAR release, Id call that a success!

Maybe I should make more decks, but there is only one I know that much about, so probably not. I moved on to UB control, using 2x Lilis and 1 Command the Dreadhorde as win conditions, its very strong but I already know no one will want to play it but me cause of how do nothing it is, oh well.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This deck is so sick:

Kefnet revealing Thought Erasure into ripping two cards out of their hand is a huge chef's kiss, and the value you generate with a good EtGE reminds me of juicy Cryptic Commands.

It's insane how much Magic is again. It wasn't that long ago that standard was complete ass, but the card pool since Dominaria is really fantastic.

Oct 28, 2017
This deck is so sick:

Kefnet revealing Thought Erasure into ripping two cards out of their hand is a huge chef's kiss, and the value you generate with a good EtGE reminds me of juicy Cryptic Commands.

It's insane how much Magic is again. It wasn't that long ago that standard was complete ass, but the card pool since Dominaria is really fantastic.

I like this. I think I'll try putting a spin on it. Ashiok seems like she might be good.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like this. I think I'll try putting a spin on it. Ashiok seems like she might be good.

I'm not sure if Ashiok really fits, she doesn't really do anything that the deck cares about. Maybe out of the board if you're facing a lot of Phoenix decks.

I replaced the bounce guy with a single copy of COMMENCE THE ENDGAME and I've been very impressed with it. Getting it off of Kefnet is insane.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ashiok is genderless, FYI. The appropriate pronoun is they, or following Wizards' writing standards for the character, you should contort your sentence so Ashiok is always addressed as Ashiok.

Sep 14, 2018
That UB list looks extremely susceptible to UG nexus, a deck I think is preetty much getting out of hand, it's difficult for most decks to be consistently disruptive enough when their whole list is cantrips, infinite mana and infinite turns. Even I'm having trouble with it now when before war I could beat it with my eyes closed.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing zombies with Oketra and Teysa Karlov. No one seems to remember that besides doubling death triggers, Teysa also gives tokens vigilance AND Lifelink, which are great on your Amass tokens and 4/4 zombie tokens. Sprinkle with Death Baron, the zombie token lords and death triggers like cruel celebrant to taste, I also like gutterbones to repeatedly make tokens

Ran into a deck over the weekend with Teysa and thought I had lethal. Only for the health to pop from -2 to 4 EOT :|

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Been a bit since I played Arena but I went to update and grab that twitch prime boros deck and saw the trailer for the first time. My train of thought of "Wait is that In the End? Oh god it is" had me laughing. By all accounts I should find it shlocky and bad but having it all involve characters I've known about for years changes my view drastically.

And I liked it

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaan, people who are douchey with the "Oops" emote actually mildly annoy me. Like, it's for actual misplays, not "oh oops, you made the correct play but I had a perfect hand so I win, haha!" and crap. I dunno, like, if I actually screw up then fair enough, and I'll usually oops myself, but sometimes for example I have no choice but to run headfirst into the counter or whatever as that gives me the best odds to win later, or like calling your potential bluff is the only option that could potentially lead to my victory at that point. It's not super common, but it honestly annoys me more than the folks who spam good game or whatever, because this feels like people who don't know the game going "haha, I sure got you!"

I dunno, a dumb little thing that got under my skin a little after a few kind of egregious uses over the past two days...

Oct 28, 2017
Maaaaaan, people who are douchey with the "Oops" emote actually mildly annoy me. Like, it's for actual misplays, not "oh oops, you made the correct play but I had a perfect hand so I win, haha!" and crap. I dunno, like, if I actually screw up then fair enough, and I'll usually oops myself, but sometimes for example I have no choice but to run headfirst into the counter or whatever as that gives me the best odds to win later, or like calling your potential bluff is the only option that could potentially lead to my victory at that point. It's not super common, but it honestly annoys me more than the folks who spam good game or whatever, because this feels like people who don't know the game going "haha, I sure got you!"

I dunno, a dumb little thing that got under my skin a little after a few kind of egregious uses over the past two days...

You've activated my trap card!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I kept emotes on until one specific game when my opponent just spammed "Oops" every time they played a combat trick. It's weird how much it tilted me, in hindsight. Like, sometimes you just need to play into combat tricks knowing full well it's worth the risk (and I ended up winning because they wasted them all on pointless trades).

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
It's sad, but I also turned off the emotes. I know that most of the people I play against (or with in other games) are generally nice and just want to have fun. But that 5% or whatever that gets off on trying to make you feel bad or embarrassed about how you are playing just ruins it for me.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see the point of emotes in this game, so I have them off too. Hearthstone, while also can be tilting, has emotes full of flavor, so I find them enjoyable. This game doesn't, but I'd turn emotes back on if they were avatar voice lines rather than static and boring lines like "Good game" and "Oops".

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I don't see the point of emotes in this game, so I have them off too. Hearthstone, while also can be tilting, has emotes full of flavor, so I find them enjoyable. This game doesn't, but I'd turn emotes back on if they were avatar voice lines rather than static and boring lines like "Good game" and "Oops".
But with emotes when i make a mistake my opponent can say "oops" and then I can rage.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you guys convinced me, emotes are off. Sorry friendly folks who want to say "Hello!" at the start, and also folks I would say "Nice!" to when you did an especially good play, but those minor niceties probably aren't worth getting mildly annoyed by jerks now and again.

Last edited: