• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FwTebSa.png
Went 5-1 in WAR draft with this 14 lander lol. I think the only games I lost were ones I still flooded out.

Dreadhorde Arcanist was the MVP by far, buying back spark harvest or using Samut's Sprint to buyback any other spell was just too much advantage

Oct 28, 2017
Went 5-1 in WAR draft with this 14 lander lol. I think the only games I lost were ones I still flooded out.

Dreadhorde Arcanist was the MVP by far, buying back spark harvest or using Samut's Sprint to buyback any other spell was just too much advantage

I had a similar deck and did pretty bad. Played it with 17 lands. Perhaps I should have opted for lower to better results. I was surprised how poorly I did, though opponents were often able to answer the Arcanist pretty early.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
I really thought War of the Sparks draft was going to be a prince format after playing sealed, but it really seems fine (anecdotal 5 traditional drafts in for me). You can just build good synergies off nearly any color combo.

fjRysIX.jpg

cvWYHc0.jpg
Nothing like having pumped up Dreadmalkin's with menace that can't be blocked due to Challenger Troll. This deck easily went 5-0 (2-0'd all opponents) and while it has good cards I wouldn't consider anything a true insane bomb (certainly nothing at the level of the God cards). Awakening of Vitu-Ghazi did help finish games but its easily removed/was removed in most games.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the drafts this weekend, but probably gonna go 1-2 after seeing all the 5-0 runs here.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking suck at this game. Haven't spent a dime on this, but I still can't stop playing this. Before I discovered Arena my last foray into the real thing was during Ice Age when I was collecting sets. I have misplaced my cards somewhere, but damn. If Arena had social aspects it'd really go places.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking suck at this game. Haven't spent a dime on this, but I still can't stop playing this. Before I discovered Arena my last foray into the real thing was during Ice Age when I was collecting sets. I have misplaced my cards somewhere, but damn. If Arena had social aspects it'd really go places.

It has pretty good Discord integration. Era has an active MTG Discord you can find people in. I know MTG Arena Tool (the deck tracker) has community tournaments organized through the tool + Discord.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
So I just noticed I lost 2 pips after losing a Bo3 2-1. Shouldn't I only be losing one since I won a game? Or do you just get 2 or lose 2 no matter what?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone with the WotC calendar handy happen to know when the ranked draft for WAR will come up? I got 25k burning a hole in my pocket.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I almost don't like playing Arena if I can only do a game or two. Went 0-2 in Bo3 ladder and I hate how much that bums me out.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Hey!
I'm looking for advice for my Wizard red/bleu deck. I'm going with something like this for starter :
FRdMv9.png

Do you think it's a solid base? Now I don't know if I should add more spell control or more damage

Feb 16, 2018
you can try more wizards such as augur of bolas or viashino pyromancer

if you want to combo more with adeliz, you can try cards like warlord's fury

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've run into it a couple of times with mixed results. Once it gets steam it's really tough.

Upon some more games, I was wrong though. It's fragile and there a huge amount of incidental hate that just ruins the deck. Basically a victim of the "let's make some answers" craze of WotC, like so many other janky decks.

Fun in a casual setting, but once someone has a real sideboard there's no chance.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Do you think it's a solid base? Now I don't know if I should add more spell control or more damage

My wizard deck wound up being 4 opt, 4 siren, 4 lavarunner, 4 chart a course, 4 viashino, 4 exclusion mage, 4 retort, 4 skewer, 4 wiz lightning, 3 adeliz, 3 kasmina, and 18 lands.

Any suggestions for this quick and dirty Riot/Gruul deck I made?

I'd swap out the thrash/threats and the frenzied arynxes. I don't know what all you have in your collection but rekindling phoenix does really well in gruul, often coming out a turn early and uncounterable. You could also fill in a few slots with utility creatures like sunder shaman, thrashing brontodon, or jadelight ranger.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
My wizard deck wound up being 4 opt, 4 siren, 4 lavarunner, 4 chart a course, 4 viashino, 4 exclusion mage, 4 retort, 4 skewer, 4 wiz lightning, 3 adeliz, 3 kasmina, and 18 lands.

I'd swap out the thrash/threats and the frenzied arynxes. I don't know what all you have in your collection but rekindling phoenix does really well in gruul, often coming out a turn early and uncounterable. You could also fill in a few slots with utility creatures like sunder shaman, thrashing brontodon, or jadelight ranger.
Sounds good, but shouldn't I have some spells to deal with enemy creatures?

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Sounds good, but shouldn't I have some spells to deal with enemy creatures?

Lava coil is the best kill spell you can run really, every non creature you include beyond that is another card that won't combo with domri or rhythm or help you get out ghalta or that you won't be able to cast easily thanks to the nullhide being in play. It also stops being clear which is the most valuable to you, should it be a couple fiery cannonades to shore up the aristocrat or red aggro matches? banefire to slam down a big planeswalker later? Thrash is pretty strong but it's easy to get blown out by another instant speed effect in response, and gruul is a very curve out kind of deck so there's always going to be a push pull with tapping out for your biggest creature vs leaving up mana for thrash.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I finally burnt a bunch of my wildcards and built Aristocrats based on this list https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/100234
I swapped in Bontu and Ilharg for two of the phoenixes and two Death Barons for two of the Gutterbones and holy hell is this deck fun.

Looks pretty good. I ran up against that deck but they also had Undercity Scavengers. They turn 5/5 and were just outside of my direct damage range and were tough to deal with.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
When playing Draft, do you guys rare-draft? I often can't resist drafting a rare not in my colours, especially if its something I don't have in my collection yet, especially if its a shockland.

Also what do you think of this draft deck?
1x Spear Spewer
2x Carnival/Carnage
1x Bladebrand
1x Orzhov Enforcer
2x Plague Wright
2x Gravel Hide Goblin
2x Fireblade Artist
1x Clamor Shaman
2x Goblin Gathering
1x Light Up the Stage
3x Skewer the Critics
1x Judith, Scourge Diva
1x Rakdos Roustabout
1x Ill-Gotten Inheritance
1x Ghor Clan Wrecker
1x Spikewheel Acrobat
1x Macabre Mockery
1x Rafter Demon
7x Swamp
8x Mountain

Potential other playables:
1x Consign to the Pit
1x Debtor's Transport
1x Vizkopa Vampire
2x Rubble Reading (I think my curve might be low enough to make it work)

White has Hero of Precinct One and Tithe Taker
Green has Titanic Brawl, Collision/ Collossus and Rubblebelt Runner, plus it would let me pump the Gravel hide Goblins. I think the mana wouldn't work out though

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There's something extra delicious about steamrolling players with cocky usernames.

Take that GetRektAllDay

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
When playing Draft, do you guys rare-draft? I often can't resist drafting a rare not in my colours, especially if its something I don't have in my collection yet, especially if its a shockland.

Also what do you think of this draft deck?
1x Spear Spewer
2x Carnival/Carnage
1x Bladebrand
1x Orzhov Enforcer
2x Plague Wright
2x Gravel Hide Goblin
2x Fireblade Artist
1x Clamor Shaman
2x Goblin Gathering
1x Light Up the Stage
3x Skewer the Critics
1x Judith, Scourge Diva
1x Rakdos Roustabout
1x Ill-Gotten Inheritance
1x Ghor Clan Wrecker
1x Spikewheel Acrobat
1x Macabre Mockery
1x Rafter Demon
7x Swamp
8x Mountain

Potential other playables:
1x Consign to the Pit
1x Debtor's Transport
1x Vizkopa Vampire
2x Rubble Reading (I think my curve might be low enough to make it work)

White has Hero of Precinct One and Tithe Taker
Green has Titanic Brawl, Collision/ Collossus and Rubblebelt Runner, plus it would let me pump the Gravel hide Goblins. I think the mana wouldn't work out though

It's never wrong to grab that shock land. Also, rare drafting is fine b/c the opportunity cost really isn't that high. I remember hearing Marshall and LSV breaking it down and skipping one or two playable cards in favor of a rare is probably not gonna be the thing that makes you go 0-3. If the rest of your 40-some picks are bad that's what'll really cause you trouble. I know some folks will do it for the gems too to help offset the draft cost, but I'm not at that level myself heh.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mono-Black discard wasn't working out too well, so went back to Rakdos Aristocrats since Mardu doesn't pivot to aggro quite as well.

3 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
10 Swamp (WAR) 257
8 Mountain (WAR) 261
4 Dreadhorde Butcher (WAR) 194
3 Rix Maadi Reveler (RNA) 109
3 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
3 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
3 Spark Harvest (WAR) 105
3 Spawn of Mayhem (RNA) 85
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216
2 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146
2 God-Eternal Bontu (WAR) 92
3 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252

The above list has been doing pretty well for me. I wanted an excuse to maindeck Tibalt and while there are probably better 3-drops, it's nice to surprise people every once in a while. Dreadhorde Butcher is really strong against slower decks, but just an expensive Footlight Fiend if I'm not up against an empty boardstate, though Judith helps bump the damage up. I think I underrated Mayhem Devil at first, stack enough sacrifice in your deck and it can trigger almost as often as Judith (more if I can get 2 down, being non-legendary), not to mention dodging Cry of the Carnarium.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
I thought I'd never return to Magic after selling my physical collection some months ago, but Arena got its hooks in me and dragged me right back in. I started out with just a standard Izzet Drakes list, but WAR didn't really bring anything new to that deck so I started building some of my own. I'm especially loving Boros Feather and Orzhov Aristocrats so far;

qkoSIMh.png
dUstjgQ.png

Feather can be very explosive with Dreadhorde Arcanist and Tenth District Legionnaire - T2 Arcanist, T3 Legionnaire + Gird, then attack and cast Gird again with Arcanist and you've got 9 power on the board heading straight for your opponent. Gideon is extremely useful and should not be underestimated; granting Lifelink to a big Legionnaire can swing games against aggressive decks in your favor, granting Indestructible to Arcanist allows you to safely trigger its ability against what would otherwise be a lethal blocker, granting Vigilance to another creature allows you to be aggressive while still protecting Gideon from a counter-swing, he's an Indestructible 4/4 Creature on your turn, and sometimes you can just -6 him to get rid of something. If you get Feather to stick, you get to recycle all of your removal, card selection, card draw, and protection every turn. I might play around a bit with the exact distribution of non-creature spells, but I've been having a blast so far with the current list.

Orzhov Aristocrats is very satisfying to play. Priest of the Forgotten Gods is just so good - it gets rid of a Creature, hits your opponent, triggers all your death triggers, draws a card, and ramps you. It enables a T4 Liliana and can protect a T6 Liliana from Spell Pierce. Bankrupt in Blood is also great. Just two mana to sacrifice two fodder creatures for three cards is already good, doing it for five cards (with Liliana) is amazing, and doing it for seven cards (with Liliana and Teysa) is absolutely ridiculous. Sorin and Ajani are there to bring stuff back from the graveyard. Sorin can instantly -4 to bring back Teysa if needed, while Ajani can just sit there and tick up if you're ahead. The Militia Buglers were a late addition, but they've worked out well so far. They can fetch any creature from the deck and if need be you can bring one back from the graveyard with Sorin to dig for a Celebrant or Teysa. Spark Harvest is cheap removal that targets both Creatures and Planeswalkers, backed up by two Mortify for Instant-speed removal and Enchantment destruction. Cruel Celebrant just sits on your board and wins you the game.

I've also been trying to work out a Selesnya Proliferate list but haven't been able to get it to the place I want it to be yet, and I'm tempted to try my hand at a Mardu variant of Aristrocrats if I can gather some more Rare Wildcards for lands and Judith.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah WoS Gideon is hella useful. I like those decks you made, hope you don't mind me copying them ^^;

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Llyrwenne Yo that Feather deck of yours is neat. i don't have a lot of arcanists ATM, so once I go for another WoS draft kinda thing I'll aim to stock up on them.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah like the rwards are nice but seeing as one loss and you are out makes me nope out of that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a pod where one person out of X is guaranteed to win the pod and get the huge prize. It's exceptionally rare for anyone to go 7-0 because the system isn't forcing you to play someone with as many wins as you.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a pod where one person out of X is guaranteed to win the pod and get the huge prize. It's exceptionally rare for anyone to go 7-0 because the system isn't forcing you to play someone with as many wins as you.

Wait what? I new that event smelled like a trap, but I figured it would at least match wins. Knowing you could get bumped out of the real prizes from someone on their first round is just bs.

Does that also apply for limited? I've been under the impression that when I got to 4-5 wins I'd be match up against similar win rates (and rank when applicable).

Oct 28, 2017
Wait what? I new that event smelled like a trap, but I figured it would at least match wins. Knowing you could get bumped out of the real prizes from someone on their first round is just bs.

Does that also apply for limited? I've been under the impression that when I got to 4-5 wins I'd be match up against similar win rates (and rank when applicable).

I've played against decks so bad for my fifth win I'm confident it doesn't exclusively match wins at least. We're talking a guy with a Golgari deck in Ravnica Allegiance. It might try a bit, but it's not a requirement.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
All these Gods and Superfriends decks and I'm just trying to weave through with my feather boros deck. It's tough.