• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I just want to whine about accidentally buying a random bundle of card styles. As I was trying to comprehend just how little value it is, I clicked on the little '?' Not knowing that it activates the purchase button that's next to it. I could've used the gold to enter another draft which is incomparably more valuable!

Feels bad man

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I made it to PLATINUM on stream!

D6Ipfi8UYAEjaPo.png:large

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This deck is so fun.

4 Molderhulk (GRN) 190
11 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Lotleth Giant (GRN) 74
1 Kraul Foragers (GRN) 135
2 Underrealm Lich (GRN) 211
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Liliana, Untouched by Death (M19) 106
2 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Death Baron (M19) 90
4 Glowspore Shaman (GRN) 173
4 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
4 Diregraf Ghoul (M19) 92
2 Storrev, Devkarin Lich (WAR) 219
2 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
2 Golgari Guildgate (GRN) 248
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Forest (RIX) 196

Edit: just swap Diregraf Ghoul for Gutterbones as it gets buffed by Death Baron still

So satisfying getting Lotleth Giant going off for like 15+ damage sometimes. Its funny because i sacrifice my creatures to kill theirs but people don't expect i want stuff in my GY. Molderhulk is a real MVP and i'm often casting him for 2-3 mana. Storrev from WAR is really good. I'm finding Memorial to Folly very bricky and i don't think it is really needed.

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Nexus of Fate is such an unfun card to play against. I can't imagine it's that fun to play with either. Currently in ~15mins of game 1 of a match while this person plays alone for 10mins to see if they can win the game.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Any suggestions for this quick and dirty Riot/Gruul deck I made?
fwjOUFk.png

I think you might want to consider if you wanna ramp more or play good creatures on curve. Zhur Thaa and Llanowar don't seem to mix well? (if you play Llanowar on turn 1, Zhur Taa Goblin becomes really awkward), maybe swap it for another ramp creature. I would also consider Sunder Shaman. The mana is tricky, but getting it down with haste (becuase of rhythm) means you can snipe artifacts and enchantments.

Also what do you think of this draft deck?
1x Spear Spewer
2x Carnival/Carnage
1x Bladebrand
1x Orzhov Enforcer
2x Plague Wright
2x Gravel Hide Goblin
2x Fireblade Artist
1x Clamor Shaman
2x Goblin Gathering
1x Light Up the Stage
3x Skewer the Critics
1x Judith, Scourge Diva
1x Rakdos Roustabout
1x Ill-Gotten Inheritance
1x Ghor Clan Wrecker
1x Spikewheel Acrobat
1x Macabre Mockery
1x Rafter Demon
7x Swamp
8x Mountain

Potential other playables:
1x Consign to the Pit
1x Debtor's Transport
1x Vizkopa Vampire
2x Rubble Reading (I think my curve might be low enough to make it work)

White has Hero of Precinct One and Tithe Taker
Green has Titanic Brawl, Collision/ Collossus and Rubblebelt Runner, plus it would let me pump the Gravel hide Goblins. I think the mana wouldn't work out though

Managed 7-1 with the above deck list. I think I got lucky, but Plague Wright and Spear Spewer did a lot of damage in the early game, and skewer the critics finished them off.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Illanwar elves is 1 free green mana which means i can get my creatures or rhythm out faster and build up faster too.
Sunder shaman sounds great tho.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Here is a funny but inadvisable combo
tenth-district-legionnaire-79992-medium.jpg

Image.ashx

131.jpg

The only reason I have guttersnipe in such a deck is because I only have 1 Dreadhorde Arcanist :V
What's funny about this is if you get to say turn 4, you got 4 mana, and you cast three 1 mana instants onto Legionnaire, that's 6 free damage+ if Legionnaire doesn't get blocked that's at least 3+ to its attack power and you can waste over half your opponent's Life points in one turn :v

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I love how they put the whole package into WAR as well. They knew exactly what they were doing, and Play Design is killing it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Image.ashx

131.jpg

The only reason I have guttersnipe in such a deck is because I only have 1 Dreadhorde Arcanist :V
What's funny about this is if you get to say turn 4, you got 4 mana, and you cast three 1 mana instants onto Legionnaire, that's 6 free damage+ if Legionnaire doesn't get blocked that's at least 3+ to its attack power and you can waste over half your opponent's Life points in one turn :v

There tends to be a couple of creature slots in the base Feather/Legionaire/Arcanist decks and I've seen a lot of wiggle. Krenko, Tither Taker, Steam-kin. I actually got some good value out of Healer's Hawks when I tried em out. That plus those cheap spells can give you a few extra turns to stabilize if your opponent deals with one of your combo cards early. It's nice to see all the theorycrafting with that deck.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
There tends to be a couple of creature slots in the base Feather/Legionaire/Arcanist decks and I've seen a lot of wiggle. Krenko, Tither Taker, Steam-kin. I actually got some good value out of Healer's Hawks when I tried em out. That plus those cheap spells can give you a few extra turns to stabilize if your opponent deals with one of your combo cards early. It's nice to see all the theorycrafting with that deck.

I haven't played a ton of Feather (~10matches), but I liked Steam kin the few matches I had it in. Having the extra mana and body is nice. I think the standard cantrip package is white heavy though, so you need to tilt it a little towards red if running Kin. I also found myself sideboarding Legion Warboss in for Krenko in almost every matchup. It just always felt better to me.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Krenko costs too much mana tho :s
I think tithe would be a better alternative to at least adanto vanguard.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for this quick and dirty Riot/Gruul deck I made?
fwjOUFk.png
i like gruul harpooner instead of a lava coil or two to still have removal for flying creatures, but to take advantage of riot or just have a 2 drop when you need it, pretty flexible

legion warboss can be nice since it can gain haste but i just use that cos its memey and i'm missing alot lol

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017

Image.ashx

131.jpg

There's also Electrostatic Field - it can't attack and it deals one less damage per trigger, but it's cheaper, a bit more resilient, and will survive rotation ~

Image.ashx

I love how they put the whole package into WAR as well. They knew exactly what they were doing, and Play Design is killing it.
Absolutely. Rotation might still hurt the deck quite a bit though, as both Reckless Rage and Sheltering Light will rotate out. I can see a Sheltering Light effect getting printed in M20, but I don't think we'll get a proper replacement for Reckless Rage unless they decide to reprint it specifically with Feather in mind.
I really want to try to slot in Krenko, but I'm not sure what I'd switch out for it. I'll try switching out either Gideon or some Adanto Vanguards and see how it works out for me. Steam-Kin seems like a cool idea but I'm not sure how well it would work with the deck leaning more into white than red. Healer's Hawk is a great suggestion - sometimes I feel like the deck is missing a good 1 CMC creature, and Hawk might fix that. Its Lifelink and Flying combo make it a fine Gird or Sprint target, so I think I'll follow your example and do some testing with it.
Krenko costs too much mana tho :s
I think tithe would be a better alternative to at least adanto vanguard.
I wouldn't underestimate Adanto Vanguard. It's not part of the Arcanist / Feather / Legionnaire core and it's definitely a flexible slot, but its ability can be incredibly valuable and relevant. Tithe Taker is also valuable and relevant in that its ability can block or delay certain cards or force your opponent to do certain things on their own turn, but I don't think it's necessarily a direct upgrade to Vanguard. Vanguard hits harder and is harder to remove, Tithe Taker is frailer but delays your opponent and leaves behind a token. They're both good cards, they just do different things, and which one you prefer depends on how you want to play the deck and on the kinds of decks you face.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Electrostatic Field is a great choice. Wonder why I'm not seeing anyone run it?

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Feather I tore it up in the weekend event with this deck (5-1)

bkMi0oe.png

I've really like burning prophet in the normal version of the deck too since she lets you dig to whatever you need or think you need. You do lose the stickiness that vanguard gives you but I think in most matchups you can play around it since you can scry 2-4 times a turn pretty easily. Kinda down on Krenko since he doesn't really get online til 2 turns after you play him, but maybe he should be played on 4 with a samut's sprint for best value, chance of 2-for-1 be damned.

Llyrwenne

Oct 26, 2017
Electrostatic Field is a great choice. Wonder why I'm not seeing anyone run it?
I think it's just too slow. It can't attack and that makes it a bad target for your Sprints / Girds / Strikes / Etc. It needs a Feather on the board to really start doing anything. Guttersnipe can attack, but is too fragile to survive on its own and slows down the deck due to its higher CMC. I think that's why you don't really see either of them in Feather decks.
Speaking of Feather I tore it up in the weekend event with this deck (5-1)

bkMi0oe.png

I've really like burning prophet in the normal version of the deck too since she lets you dig to whatever you need or think you need. You do lose the stickiness that vanguard gives you but I think in most matchups you can play around it since you can scry 2-4 times a turn pretty easily. Kinda down on Krenko since he doesn't really get online til 2 turns after you play him, but maybe he should be played on 4 with a samut's sprint for best value, chance of 2-for-1 be damned.
Nice! Burning Prophet is absolutely a good fit for this deck. I'm running a similar list for the Ravnica event, with the main difference being that I switched out the Warboss, Krenko, and Promotion for Gird, Arrester's Zeal, and Gideon (-4 Promotion / -3 Warboss / -1 Krenko / -1 Frenzy / +2 Arrester's Zeal / +2 Gird / +2 Gideon / +2 Prophet / +1 Mountain). Curious what your thoughts are on Promotion vs. Gird; has the First Strike been crucial for you? I'd also love to hear how Frenzy has been working out for you; I'm concerned about it shutting down Feather and Arcanist and then eating up a turn if you want to get rid of it. Wouldn't Light up the Stage be better for getting cards? It works better with Feather and you can cast it from your graveyard with a buffed Arcanist.

Llyrwenne

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Feather is amazing in the Ravnica event. Went 5-1 on my first run, losing only to an on-curve Grixis Control list in part due to keeping a starting hand with Arcanist as my only Creature. The only other close game was vs. Dimir Control, which Gideon turned in my favor.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Burning Prophet is absolutely a good fit for this deck. I'm running a similar list for the Ravnica event, with the main difference being that I switched out the Warboss, Krenko, and Promotion for Gird, Arrester's Zeal, and Gideon (-4 Promotion / -3 Warboss / -1 Krenko / -1 Frenzy / +2 Arrester's Zeal / +2 Gird / +2 Gideon / +2 Prophet / +1 Mountain). Curious what your thoughts are on Promotion vs. Gird; has the First Strike been crucial for you? I'd also love to hear how Frenzy has been working out for you; I'm concerned about it shutting down Feather and Arcanist and then eating up a turn if you want to get rid of it. Wouldn't Light up the Stage be better for getting cards? It works better with Feather and you can cast it from your graveyard with a buffed Arcanist.
So my thoughts on promotion vs gird is that promotion can be cast on both turns so you can get more value out of it with the life gain at the cost of more mana and only one creature instead of two. Overall I still think they're pretty even but I valued the instant speed more, and from playing the deck in Standard I had the most trouble against RDW and WW so I sided with the life gain in case I ran into Ravnica block variants of them. I'd honestly prefer more draw/scry buffs to replace Rile from the Standard version but I don't think I found any.

It didn't occur to me to use Light Up the Stage but I also think if you can buy back 3 CMC you're probably in a really good spot. I think if Feather also bought it back I'd use it for sure but she doesn't. I had similar concerns with Frenzy hence the 1-of to try it out, but the card is just good enough to jam on 4 even if your hand has 3 playables because it's straight card advantage. Also, you have so many scry/draw effects you can move the lands out of the way and just play gas.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I had a couple awful drafts and one good one but it's totally my fault for rare drafting and not having a cohesive deck. :p

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to draft disciplined when you can draft 8 rares of varying colors without even trying thanks to the bots in this format.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I made a big whoopsie. I used the new Vivien's power to look at the top 3 cards, exile one and cast it if it's a creature but I brainflubbed and forgot the creature part and exiled poor Ugin!!!

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
...Huh. Here I was trying to decide if I wanted to do a slight bit of blinging or instead keep pushing towards 100% card completion (at least on rares from packs)... and it turns out Feather doesn't even have a style anyway, which would be the one I would definitely purchase as the lynchpin of my main deck.

Well, guess that pushes off that question further... (Like, I can already build any deck I want, so it's more a question of what I find more worth arbitrarily spending on, which I'm honestly still not sure on.)

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
(Spellkeeper Weird + Aid the Fallen + me drafting superfriends) might be my favorite limited combo of all time. I feel bad for opponents b/c the value game is inevitably lost for them once it has begun...

Oct 25, 2017
Karn is practically useless in WAR draft. You have to prioritize Sunwings and put them in your board for him to do anything moderately useful.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Whew just hit platinum mostly with grixis and orzhov in the last two tiers of bo1. Time to play the jank.

Is that what people do in plat these days? I didn't play enough to get out of gold the last few months, last month especially as I waited for the new release. But yesterday I went up against some weird decks. One was a very strange pirate deck that they couldn't have possibly gotten to plat with.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
what should i do next to improve this? second lilliana? i haven't really played bo3 with it yet since i'm sure it's not really up to snuff yet. def probably could use more mobilized districts, i ripped off a w/b meta deck but filled in some holes with what i had, curious what i should go for next

4 Knight of Malice (DAR) 97
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Knight of Grace (DAR) 23
4 Swamp (RIX) 194
8 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Duress (M19) 94
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
2 Mobilized District (WAR) 249
1 Despark (WAR) 190
3 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242

1 Aryel, Knight of Windgrace (DAR) 192
2 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
2 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
4 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9
1 Plague Mare (M19) 114
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77

Oct 28, 2017
ZPrgvbE.jpg

This was just idiotic to play against. He only had two creatures, one of witch I forced him to discard with Toll the Invasion. The other was a Saheeli's Silverwing. Meanwhile he didn't realize the insane value of Erratic Visionary so I kept looting every single turn and churning out 2-drops that he felt obligated to blow his removal on.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
i got this code from twitch i dont want it, idk if anyone else does figured it was worth posting here

Was-aQuw-pep
WIZARDS OF THE COAST
Arena Boros Legion Deck

Llyrwenne

Oct 26, 2017
So my thoughts on promotion vs gird is that promotion can be cast on both turns so you can get more value out of it with the life gain at the cost of more mana and only one creature instead of two. Overall I still think they're pretty even but I valued the instant speed more, and from playing the deck in Standard I had the most trouble against RDW and WW so I sided with the life gain in case I ran into Ravnica block variants of them. I'd honestly prefer more draw/scry buffs to replace Rile from the Standard version but I don't think I found any.
I wouldn't anticipate seeing much RDW or WW in the Ravnica event. RDW loses Lightning Strike, Shock, Wizard's Lightning, Viashino Pyromancer, Ghitu Lavarunner, Fanatical Firebrand, and Goblin Chainwhirler, a.k.a their entire burn package save Skewer the Critics and all their creatures save Runaway Steam-Kin. WW similarly loses a significant part of their deck. The closest thing I've run into so far are various non-Feather Boros Aggro lists, which aren't nearly as potent as Standard RDW, Standard WW, or either format's Feather. I'm having far more trouble with various Control decks and their removal, especially without Adanto Vanguard's stickiness and Sheltering Light's protection.
It didn't occur to me to use Light Up the Stage but I also think if you can buy back 3 CMC you're probably in a really good spot. I think if Feather also bought it back I'd use it for sure but she doesn't. I had similar concerns with Frenzy hence the 1-of to try it out, but the card is just good enough to jam on 4 even if your hand has 3 playables because it's straight card advantage. Also, you have so many scry/draw effects you can move the lands out of the way and just play gas.
Fair point. The excessive amounts of Scry definitely turn Frenzy into a constant stream of value. So far I haven't felt the need for dedicated card draw / card advantage though, as the Scry from Sprint, Prophet, and Legionnaire already do a lot of work on their own.
i got this code from twitch i dont want it, idk if anyone else does figured it was worth posting here

Was-aQuw-pep
WIZARDS OF THE COAST
Arena Boros Legion Deck
Picked this up. Thank you for sharing. 💖

I've made four runs at the Ravnica event so far with Feather;

5 - 1 / Loss vs. Grixis Control after keeping a hand with only a single Creature. Angrath's Rampage and Tyrant's Scorn (and cheap, efficient removal in general) are good against Feather, and there's not much available in the Ravnica sets to protect against them aside from Justiciar's Portal, which I don't feel is good enough to run in the main deck.

5 - 1 / Loss vs. Gates due to slow draws. The game started out fairly well and I removed an early Ram, but I was not able to win the game before they dropped a bigger Ram and a Colossus that I was unable to remove or attack into.

5 - 1 / Loss vs. Jeskai Control with Time Wipe, WAR Dovin locking down my biggest Creature, then Narset fetching another Time Wipe with me not having enough damage on the board to win that turn.

5 - 0 / Flawless run. One very close game vs. Orzhov Aristocrats in which I got stuck on my two opening Lands for several consecutive turns and my opponent further delayed me by getting rid my first creature with Plaguecrafter. They built up their board significantly but I managed to get an Arcanist to stick (which I buffed with two Girds) and then a Prophet (attacking with Arcanist to cast a Gird from the graveyard to buff both and Scry into a Plains). That Plains then allowed me to give both my Creatures Flying with two Arrester's Zeal, attacking through the air with both and casting the other Gird with Arcanist, hitting my opponent for 14 damage - exact lethal.

Oct 25, 2017
First four drafts were quite good, including a 6 and 7 win run.

Last two were 0-3s. Ran into multiple gods. This format is wacky y'all.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just started playing the other month and this was my first real attempt at ranked. I just hit plat.

From bronze to silver I just used one of the F2P decks you get at the beginning. Once I got to silver, I started to use Boros deck you get with Twitch Prime. It seemed good at first, I made it all the way to silver 1, but then fell down quickly again. After that I started to search for some cheap metaish decks. I found pretty cheap vampire deck and that got me to gold. Once I got to gold I hit a brick wall and wasn't moving at all. I decided to get a bit more serious and make a decent meta deck. I put together an Orzhov Knights deck. I didn't have all the cards, but I made it work. That got me from gold to plat.

Now that I'm plat do I have to worry about falling to gold or do you get locked into tiers? I don't want to lose my rewards.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
I just started playing the other month and this was my first real attempt at ranked. I just hit plat.

From bronze to silver I just used one of the F2P decks you get at the beginning. Once I got to silver, I started to use Boros deck you get with Twitch Prime. It seemed good at first, I made it all the way to silver 1, but then fell down quickly again. After that I started to search for some cheap metaish decks. I found pretty cheap vampire deck and that got me to gold. Once I got to gold I hit a brick wall and wasn't moving at all. I decided to get a bit more serious and make a decent meta deck. I put together an Orzhov Knights deck. I didn't have all the cards, but I made it work. That got me from gold to plat.

Now that I'm plat do I have to worry about falling to gold or do you get locked into tiers? I don't want to lose my rewards.

You can't be demoted back to Gold but will start next season in Gold if you don't rank up past Plat this season. Congrats :)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really good time with Esper Hero/Midrange in Traditional Ranked. It has a somewhat awkward G1 against Mono-red, and a poor overall matchup with hyper aggressive decks like the BR deck, but those decks don't show up as often in Traditional

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I finally made it to plat which is probably where I'll top out this season since I don't get tons of time to play. Been playing a bunch of that mono-green "Tron" deck. Which isn't tron at all but definitely has lots of mana cheating and uses Nissa to make tons of land-creatures and then Karn, Karn, and Ugin to do some lifting until you can proliferate out enough counters to overrun everything.

Oct 28, 2017
First WAR draft, third draft ever. What would you cut/add?
HUp8uNf.jpg

I'd cut:

2x Arboreal Grazer - Very bad
1x Price of Betrayal - I'd side it in against bomb planeswalkers in BO3, but I wouldn't main deck it
1x Shriekdiver - 2/1 flier just doesn't cut it
1x Lazotep Behemoth - Not good enough, trades down
1x Interplanar Beacon - Two color decks don't need this

I'd add:

1x Toll the Invasion - This is a top tier card. I pick it close to high and run it always.
1x Arlinn's Wolf - Great for aggro gameplans as power in this set is typically low until the counters start flowing
1x Swamp - Helps with Sorin's Thirst, Finale of Eternity and Kaya

Last edited:

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd cut:

2x Arboreal Grazer - Very bad
1x Price of Betrayal - I'd side it in against bomb planeswalkers in BO3, but I wouldn't main deck it
1x Spark Reaper
1x Lazotep Behemoth - Not good enough, trades down
1x Interplanar Beacon - Two color decks don't need this

I'd add:

1x Toll the Invasion - This is a top tier card. I pick it close to high and run it always.
1x Arlinn's Wolf - Great for aggro gameplans as power in this set is typically low until the counters start flowing
1x Swamp - Helps with Sorin's Thirst, Finale of Eternity and Kaya
I mostly agree with this, but I'd cut Sorin's Thirst or the croc before Spark Reaper.