• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Quoting from the main Magic OT:

San Diego Comic Con exclusive card art
nu9loac3weon7tlfovhi.png

gqcxlbadk0do4la2ek1z.png

jvdci60jfzbxqicdcsie.png

seupgqgioaj34hszc2o1.png

snqoxtbvrnk2aumwise2.png

rtiiiut9lxali0vgvfoq.png

I assume they're not actually going to be in Arena, but they'd be nice cosmetics for those who want them.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Got to diamond. Was stuck on platinum 2 trading victories and defeats without leaving the place for like a week and then today just won everything in a row without a single loss.
This game is weird.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man I love Traditional Ranked. Knowing what you are up against after that initial match and adjusting / side boarding accordingly leads to some very satisfying games.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not including Kaladesh is a good move for balance purposes.

I wonder if they're thinking of adding Modern Horizons and creating a second "Horizon" format which includes older set re-releases.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder how much the rewards from the Mastery Pass adds up to. Presumably less than the equivalent of the entry price of 3400 gems, depending on how much you value cats.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to retroactively purchase the Season Pass is pretty cool- you can wait to see if it's worth it for you.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the "new" starter decks include some freebies from the newer sets for existing players, especially F2P ones.

Gotta say I really can't complain as a f2p player. The starter decks, redeemable codes, and easy quests make getting new cards fairly easy compared to some card games.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
This specifically calls historic a casual format. I don't think people will be happy with this medium-long term.

Yeah, it's kinda weird right? But I understand their hesitation. I don't think they can support giving it a competetive focus with a ranked Historic ladder, since that would essentially require four extra queues instead of two. They're already streamlining the limited queues as well. I think the big test is for them to really support it in events. Swapping out the constructed events from standard to historic could be decent maybe?

If I had to guess the direction people would want it to go, it'd be commander/edh. But wotc doesn't seem to be in any kind of rush to touch that. Plus that means finding a way to bring in all of the commander staples that doesn't break the bank or feel forced.

Oct 25, 2017
When do the stained glass card styles rotate out of the store?
Not to be annoying, I promise I have read Wizards' updates to try to make sense of it, but can anyone clarify what they mean by:

MTG Arena: June 0.15.01.00 Patch Notes said:
Store Glass Styles - These will be removed from the Store interface with July 2nd, 2019 game update. All Event and Store Glass Styles will be found in the Deck Builder with the next release.

As I read that, it sounds like the stained glass planeswalker card styles that you have to buy (either by gold or gems) won't be available from the store after next week's update. You'll be able to use them in the deck builder, but you won't be able to buy them anymore. Is that correct?

If so, that seems a little contradictory with their promise in the same update:

MTG Arena: June 0.15.01.00 Patch Notes said:
We will also be making all of the glass styles you would have been able to earn from these events available for purchase for Gold after the release of Core Set 2020. If you found yourself unable to finish one of the previous events, you'll still have the option to add all of the glass styles to your collection.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not to be annoying, I promise I have read Wizards' updates to try to make sense of it, but can anyone clarify what they mean by:

As I read that, it sounds like the stained glass planeswalker card styles that you have to buy (either by gold or gems) won't be available from the store after next week's update. You'll be able to use them in the deck builder, but you won't be able to buy them anymore. Is that correct?

If so, that seems a little contradictory with their promise in the same update:
Normally for styles, you buy them directly in the deck building/collection UI, not form the store directly. Certain styles that they want to feature can also be bought straight from the store (or in the case of bundles mustbe purchased from the store.) All it's saying is that in order to get the stained glass styles after the update you'll have to use the normal interface instead of finding them in the store.

Oct 25, 2017
Normally for styles, you buy them directly in the deck building/collection UI, not form the store directly. Certain styles that they want to feature can also be bought straight from the store (or in the case of bundles mustbe purchased from the store.) All it's saying is that in order to get the stained glass styles after the update you'll have to use the normal interface instead of finding them in the store.
Thanks! I don't particularly care for the normal card styles, and as a F2P player, I haven't given them too much thought before now. I do like the stained glass ones, maybe enough to even give Wizards some money, but I wasn't sure if I was on a deadline or not, so thanks for the clarification.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The fact that you buy them with gold and not gems means you don't have to spend any actual money on them. Only a small handful of them, which weren't available in the event, need gems.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Diamond T1 all the way down to T3. I'm over it. I'm tired of RDW, Esper, Grixis, and etc. It's not worth it, it's just one more pack for Mythic.

I'm just going to take a break until Tuesday and M20.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think I'll probably only play Historic so my Goblin Tribal deck doesn't die the moment Dominaria rotates out. I was hoping for some good goblins in M20 but Goblin Ringleader seems like the only one I'd use for certain. Maybe Goblin Smuggler could work well enough with Legion Warboss but the 3 mana cost is very competitive.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Esper (and Super Friends in general) don't seem to be very well-liked, but how do people feel about Izzet Phoenix?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Esper (and Super Friends in general) don't seem to be very well-liked, but how do people feel about Izzet Phoenix?

Good aggro can run over it pretty quickly, and the next set is packing a lot of graveyard-hate. Exile effects are its bane and Crackling Drakes aren't that difficult to kill. It fell a bit by the wayside during Ravnica Allegiance but Saheeli has given it a bit of a boost since War of the Spark, since her minus can turn her constructs into X/4 Crackling Drakes and swing in for a huge amount. I find it a fun deck to play as and against, at the very least it's not actively denying the opponent from doing things the same way Esper does.

Just bear in mind that Narset is a commonly used card right now, and she really throws a spanner in the works. Ashiok too but they're more of a sideboard card.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked out the spoilers for the next set but the rumor was that Garruk would be in. Any truth?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Spent all my gold and gems on Omniescence draft. Got insanely unlucky in all 6 matches....feelsbadman
Especially the second draft I had a god draft with everything but 5 cards being busted. Problem every single match my opponent got to start and made a turn 1 kill.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Spent all my gold and gems on Omniescence draft. Got insanely unlucky in all 6 matches....feelsbadman
Especially the second draft I had a god draft with everything but 5 cards being busted. Problem every single match my opponent got to start and made a turn 1 kill.

I only had gold for one draft but I got Nicol Bolas. That was fun to play turn one.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why doesnt Mortify work on gideon when its the opponents turn and he is a creature? He is clearly labeled as such when on the battlefield.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda silly that they advertise a Battle Pass equivalent, and then make it impossible for even the players who plays the most to ever complete it. I think they need to double the XP gained to make it remotely close to worth it for the average player.

For people less caught up in the news, no more weekly packs, instead we are getting a mastery tree with 1 pack every 2 levels. 1000 XP per level and it looks like you get 800 XP per daily quest, 100 XP for the first win a day, and 50 XP for 2nd and 3rd day. Aaaand that's it barring special promotions. So 1 Level a day max. But the Battle pass which enhances daily rewards has a 100 levels but expires when the next set releases (in about 90 days), so the math doesn't seem to work out.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fate of Nexus is such a dumb card. They should really ban it from Arena. Forcing your opponent to watch you play with yourselv for half an hour until you find your wincon is plain bad design.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Fate of Nexus is such a dumb card. They should really ban it from Arena. Forcing your opponent to watch you play with yourselv for half an hour until you find your wincon is plain bad design.
Once they have an Azcanta and Reclamation going you should just scoop. They aren't going to miss

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Watching some M20 preview streams, mono-white angels looks like a lot of fun. Expensive though, since basically everything is either rare or mythic.

Also fun to see some people playing completely unedited standard meta decks in the preview events. I have to wonder what the appeal of not playing any of the new cards is.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Once they have an Azcanta and Reclamation going you should just scoop. They aren't going to miss

Yeah, and if they start banking extra turns (i.e. they have more than one extra after the current turn), there's almost no point in making them play it out. Maybe, maybe if you're playing a bunch of Unmoored Ego in the sideboard and want to see what they could have so that you can exile all of their win conditions it makes some sense to play until they actually start attacking you. But it's mostly just wasting your time too.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching some M20 preview streams, mono-white angels looks like a lot of fun. Expensive though, since basically everything is either rare or mythic.

Also fun to see some people playing completely unedited standard meta decks in the preview events. I have to wonder what the appeal of not playing any of the new cards is.

Yeah I was watching kibler jam some of that. It's a shame lyra and resplendent angel are leaving soon, I'll have to get my fill in the next few months. Or hopefully fall set helps fill in some holes that are rotating out.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see any of that, but tbh as someone who is interested in seeing good decks rather than tribal brews I think it is good to try actually good decks to test how badly boards of mediocre elemental/vampire creatures fold to one Kaya's Wrath.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't see any of that, but tbh as someone who is interested in seeing good decks rather than tribal brews I think it is good to try actually good decks to test how badly boards of mediocre elemental/vampire creatures fold to one Kaya's Wrath.

Oh I agree it's useful info to have, it's just not what I would have used a casual preview event for. It's one thing to freely test a few new additions to a standard deck to improve weaker matchups, and another to just play the exact same decks we've had in standard for that past few months. I suppose for more competitive people, knowing a new set's effect on the meta a few days earlier makes all the difference.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I can't tell if I've been tricked by these multi-million dollar companies or if the MTGA community is just far too vitriolic about anything that isn't straight up free shit. Because I always feel like every change they make to Arena the subreddit and official forums are just blowing up. At the moment I quite like the idea of the mastery pass but everyone is losing their shit. What's the thought here?

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if I've been tricked by these multi-million dollar companies or if the MTGA community is just far too vitriolic about anything that isn't straight up free shit. Because I always feel like every change they make to Arena the subreddit and official forums are just blowing up. At the moment I quite like the idea of the mastery pass but everyone is losing their shit. What's the thought here?
Some people care more about min/maxing an economy than actually playing the game. If they aren't getting 100% of possible value they feel cheated for whatever reason.