• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if I've been tricked by these multi-million dollar companies or if the MTGA community is just far too vitriolic about anything that isn't straight up free shit. Because I always feel like every change they make to Arena the subreddit and official forums are just blowing up. At the moment I quite like the idea of the mastery pass but everyone is losing their shit. What's the thought here?

People will do the math and if we're not getting exactly the amount of free stuff we were people will be up in arms. I've been fairly happy with how easy they've made it to be a f2p player. Maybe the mastery trees will spice things up a bit because it's started feeling kind of stale to me, I dunno.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if I've been tricked by these multi-million dollar companies or if the MTGA community is just far too vitriolic about anything that isn't straight up free shit. Because I always feel like every change they make to Arena the subreddit and official forums are just blowing up. At the moment I quite like the idea of the mastery pass but everyone is losing their shit. What's the thought here?

The new pass is very feel bad since you can't get all 100 levels just playing the game regularly and wotc hasn't told us how they're going to award additional experience. People that only play the game a couple of times a week are also losing rewards since you can only get 200 exp per day from matches. They should make the cap weekly and give players a way to get the rest of the levels without having to buy them with gems.

The economy becoming less generous was inevitable now that people are getting caught up on their standard collections. Now that I'm mainly just looking to get cards from new sets I haven't had to buy more gems the past 2 releases.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan

Basically the premium (3400 gems) mastery pass seems to require you to play every day if you want to have any hope of completing it without buying more levels with gems. From what we know so far, you effectively get 1000xp/1 level per day (800 for completing any quest, 100 for your first win, then 50 for wins 2 and 3). Even then, you're only getting up to ~85-90% total completion based on the average length of time between set releases, so you're also going to need to play, or possibly grind, the special events that will give the balance of the xp. Note that we don't know anything about the xp rewards from these special events yet, so it's possible that they're going to be very generous and make it easy to finish the pass ahead of time.

I'm not especially happy with the idea that you almost need to play every day to complete the pass, but I'm also not acting like the world is ending over it. I mean, I already get at least my 4 wins 5+ days of each week and complete all of my quests so I'm pretty well invested in the game, if not as much as the truly hardcore, pros, and streamers. If that's not enough to finish the pass on time though, who is it really for? It gets worse if you only find time to play once or twice a week, even if you would normally do 15+ wins in those sessions. At that point, even the free pass (gives you a pack every other level up to ~level 70) replacing the 15 wins/week starts to look bad for you, since you may be getting less than the 3 packs/week you normally would. So I can get where people are coming from, even if the reaction is pretty overblown.

Personally, I was probably going to get the pass day 1 when they first announced it (fire cat 2 cute), but now I'm waiting until we either see what the special event xp rewards are or there's some kind of update from WotC. They said all the rewards are retroactive at least, so you can wait until the last day to buy it and see if it's worth it that way, which is pretty solid.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

Unless something has changed since the preview yesterday, you likely can't hit level 100 before the next set comes out without buying levels with gems. 100 days from now is October 10th which will likely be after the new set is released and the mastery track resets. And to even get close to 100, you need to play everyday to make sure you get your 3 wins. I personally hate games that make you feel guilty for not playing everyday.

I don't think I'm the target audience however. I haven't been engaging in the free events these past weekends cause I've been busy and I'm not too sad about it. I just like Arena to be able to play Standard very easily. I don't really desire the cosmetics. They're nice but not something I'm going to jump through hoops for or pay a lot of money for. My collection is fine, and I have a lot of WCs ready. I plan on buying the 50 card bundle at each expansion while hoarding gold in between. That's enough for me.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They added more of the anime sleeves. The Liliana sleeve is 🔥

giphy.gif

Feb 16, 2018

i don't care about whether the rate of free stuff goes up or down by a few percentage points

but it is kind of annoying that they're focusing on this stuff instead of adding/fixing actual gameplay content that the game is lacking

like if i had to make a list of 10 things mtga should add, a 3rd currency (gold, gems, and now experience) wouldn't be on it

i don't actually know what's going on behind the scenes, but i don't get the impression that the game is being run by people who want to bring the gameplay of magic to digital. it feels like they think the game is basically perfect, and all that's left is tuning the economy

it's fine if mtga is just supposed to be a demo for the real game, but that's not what it was advertised as

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
i don't actually know what's going on behind the scenes, but i don't get the impression that the game is being run by people who want to bring the gameplay of magic to digital. it feels like they think the game is basically perfect, and all that's left is tuning the economy

Honestly, the one thing they nailed was bringing the gameplay of Magic to digital. The in-match experience is so good I'm still shocked sometimes how smooth it is from when I played the closed alpha or MTGO. It would be nice if there were proper on-demand tournaments, or draft pods, etc but the moment to moment gameplay is 👌

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think is lacking in gameplay content?
Not that person, but there are some stuff that people have been asking for:
  • Friend's list - and the ability to do stuff with friends
  • Being able to play 40 card decks in challenges
  • Pod drafting, or general improvements to AI bot drafting
Stuff that would be more farfetched but still requested:
  • Brawl? 2HG? Commander? Multiplayer?
  • Support for older sets that aren't in Standard or Historic?

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Not that person, but there are some stuff that people have been asking for:
  • Friend's list - and the ability to do stuff with friends
  • Being able to play 40 card decks in challenges
  • Pod drafting, or general improvements to AI bot drafting

I really, really hope they allow you to challenge people and let them use a deck you've made. I understand Hearthstone does this now, and it's something I can see myself using with friends or fiance. The 40 card deck for external cube / limited stuff would be great too.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
For those saying you can't hit level 100 without buying gems, didn't they say their will also be events that will reward XP. It would be insane if it was literally impossible to hit level 100 without spending more money than the original 3400 gems.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying you can't hit level 100 without buying gems, didn't they say their will also be events that will reward XP. It would be insane if it was literally impossible to hit level 100 without spending more money than the original 3400 gems.

I guess I don't know how these (Fortnite Battle Pass in particular since it's what every bases it on, right) usually work, but if I miss 1 weekend from now until the next Battle Pass, I can hit the max level still? The shooter games usually give you other achievements or don't cap the wins per day, right?

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017

Something like that.

How do I earn rewards?

By playing! Every time you complete a daily quest, and for your first three daily wins you'll receive experience points towards your current Mastery level. Additional XP may be available through special events or promotional items (such as codes). As you level up, you'll receive rewards based on your current level.

Basically people are adding the numbers up based on what WotC has stated and until we have some kind of concrete number of how many events, codes, and how many points they award there just isn't enough information out there to know how much of a grind it's going to be. So for people that want to earn those rewards, you are kind of forced into a daily grind until those details are out there. Something as simple as telling people they are planning on 1 event a month worth 5 levels, as an example, would go a long way to calming people down.

Also, I'm totally in agreement that I'd rather have an actual friends list, and more game types / things to do with friends than adding another reward / gem sink to the game. The problem with that is the things I want don't earn them more money compared to a battle pass equivalent.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I suppose it depends what these events entail. Not all past events have been equally entertaining, and if requires a lot of wins in a bad event format in order to get the required XP then I can see people getting irate about it.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
An update just put out by wotc: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mastery-system-check-2019-07-02

Short version is they are clarifying that additional bonus do of about/at least 15 levels should be available through events. Seem to be dropping the ability to buy levels out of not wanting it to feel forced. Intention for leveling is that most of the xp should be from quests, and not requiring that you have to win

Generally good info to hear but it still has a little feel bad for folks who aren't able to clear out their quests every three days. Not sure yet on the full numbers, but it's not clear if you can get as much doing a one day a week grind for your 15 wins.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
An update just put out by wotc: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mastery-system-check-2019-07-02

Short version is they are clarifying that additional bonus do of about/at least 15 levels should be available through events. Seem to be dropping the ability to buy levels out of not wanting it to feel forced. Intention for leveling is that most of the xp should be from quests, and not requiring that you have to win

Generally good info to hear but it still has a little feel bad for folks who aren't able to clear out their quests every three days. Not sure yet on the full numbers, but it's not clear if you can get as much doing a one day a week grind for your 15 wins.

I hope that it's more of an "at least" than an "about," since 15 extra levels from events means that you're still looking at needing like 95% of the available XP if you want to complete the pass. Definitely a step in the right direction though. I don't know very much about how other games handle the passes, but something like 70% of the available XP to complete the pass would be pretty decent balance in my opinion. If you're playing a ton every day you're going to finish it early and have cool cosmetics before anyone else, but other players can still afford to miss out on some XP and still get all the rewards. I feel like you don't have to worry about the first group of players falling off MTGA without more rewards, since they're playing a ton anyway, whereas the second group might skip the pass if it's clear they aren't going to get what they want from it.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping we can get going optimal to moneyball it for us soon. Hard numbers for the events are needed.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Do we know when Arena will be back up from maintenance?

edit: nvm checked the official forums and i see it's an ongoing issue with some people able to play and others not able to log in. yay

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I think its the daily cap that most people are upset about. The rewards are cool and all but being close to having to play daily (due to 1 level per day cap excluding bonuses) is kind of a pain for completionists (which I would guess a lot of MTG players are).

I'm fairly sure there wouldn't be so much hue and cry about the mastery pass if people could get 2 levels a day playing 5 matches a day. So you have plenty of leeway to take breaks from Arena.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Tizoc we need to duel as planeswalkers for the psy duck avatar. I keep getting confused thinking I posted when I read your stuff :P

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just change the eyes to little spots and you're not a psyduck anymore, you're a ditto.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Just lost to someone who bought in Leyline of the Void just for Search for Azcanta. These cards are such a trap. The worst part is he got me with it :/

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm running currently

//Creatures (24):
4 Goblin Instigator
3 Legion Warboss
4 Clamor Shaman
3 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
4 Goblin Ringleader
2 Goblin Chainwhirler
4 Fanatical Firebrand

//Non-creature Spells (12):
4 Cavalcade of Calamity
4 Defiant Strike
2 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Leyline of Combustion

//Lands (24):
16 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat

A backbreaker of a Goblins deck. The right opening hand and it's over before it starts.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I expect a lot of folks are gonna be looking at Void. It hoses azcanta, command the Dreadhorde, and arclight Phoenix. Also makes Tamiyo a little worse, but probably not enough to stop her.

This is what I'm running currently

A backbreaker of a Goblins deck. The right opening hand and it's over before it starts.

Can I ask what leyline of sanctity is in here for? Im only imagining settle the wreckage or hand attack, but that seems pretty narrow for a fairly straightforward goblin horde.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I expect a lot of folks are gonna be looking at Void. It hoses azcanta, command the Dreadhorde, and arclight Phoenix. Also makes Tamiyo a little worse, but probably not enough to stop her.

Can I ask what leyline of sanctity is in here for? Im only imagining settle the wreckage or hand attack, but that seems pretty narrow for a fairly straightforward goblin horde.
Settle, hand attack, and burn that outpaces me pretty much. It's taking up two slots, but this is a Bo1 deck and it's better to have it and not need it when it's consuming such little space as opposed to needing it and not having it.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The only real way to build a goblin deck is to search for all cards labelled "Goblin" and throw them in. Anything else is against the spirit of the deck.

Anyway, I've been messing around with this Vampire Aggro deck:

//Creatures (24):
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Adanto Vanguard
3 Dusk Legion Zealot
3 Oathsworn Vampire
3 Legion Lieutenant
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist
3 The Haunt of Hightower

//Non-creature Spells (13):
3 Arguel's Blood Fast
3 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
4 Mortify
3 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord

//Lands (23):
6 Plains
8 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine
2 Isolated Chapel
3 Unclaimed Territory

Having Little Sorin cheat out Haunt of Hightower on turn 3 is a treat, and Knight of the Ebon Legion and Adanto Vanguard are a great power couple. Not 100% sold on Oathsworn Vampire, but it's nice to have a repeatable sac outlet for Little Sorin's second +1 in the absence of Big Sorin. Bloodthirsty Aerialist might also be too slow, though it comes into play about when consistent lifegain can start up.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm going to guess they are going to be wrong more than 50% of the time. Azcanta is a 2 of in my list, if I didn't have one in my opener they basically took a mulligan for no reason. I have no other GY interaction. Dreadhorde and Phoenix can both play around it pretty easily, Dreadhorde works on the other GY and hardcast Phoenix aren't that bad consider the opponent probably now has 3 terrible cards in their deck now.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And I'm going to guess they are going to be wrong more than 50% of the time. Azcanta is a 2 of in my list, if I didn't have one in my opener they basically took a mulligan for no reason. I have no other GY interaction. Dreadhorde and Phoenix can both play around it pretty easily, Dreadhorde works on the other GY and hardcast Phoenix aren't that bad consider the opponent probably now has 3 terrible cards in their deck now.

It ultimately comes down to the question "Does this card hurt my opponent's gameplan more than mine, and are there cards that could do it better?". These cards have only been available for a few hours, a bit of trial and error is forgivable.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like how they limit you on xp for wins. There seems to be a 200 xp daily limit for wins. If you're playing the game and winning, you should be rewarded with xp.

Oct 28, 2017

I think standard Phoenix will be hurting pretty bad. Sure you can hardcast Phoenix, but that's not good. And without the graveyard, the deck's resiliency is gone. I'd imagine Phoenix loses an insanely high number of games to a turn 0 Leyline.

Dreadhorde would turn into a mediocre midrange deck. It'd also be hurt badly.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I think standard Phoenix will be hurting pretty bad. Sure you can hardcast Phoenix, but that's not good. And without the graveyard, the deck's resiliency is gone. I'd imagine Phoenix loses an insanely high number of games to a turn 0 Leyline.
Depends on the matchup, but in grindy games postboard you win with planeswalkers and playing 1 creature at a time (bringing in Warboss). Finale probably isn't in the deck anymore. There are so many removal spells that avoid the graveyard, the deck wouldn't be as good as it was if Phoenix was that much of a crutch.

Whether the deck is still good will depend on what happens to the rest of the meta, but Fry is a huge sideboard upgrade and I could see big Chandra fitting there as well in the right circumstances.

Oct 28, 2017
C3c2f9O.png

This was turn 5. Risen Reef is absolutely insane. Mu is also very, very good. Not sure it would be constructed viable even after rotation, but it's super strong here.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
was there any warning they were gonna change to the mastery system? missed out on my third war pack for the week...

robox

Nov 10, 2017
ugh, i guess i should've realized it was happening so soon. i even watched that preview video. i play everyday for the daily grind but i don't pay attention to the updates much besides what's posted in this thread. didn't think through the implications of the changes.

my issue is that i log into the game, and there's nothing to notify me about what's coming up. it's an online game, so there should be better news and updates notifs as soon as i get in. they hyped up m20 coming out, but they need to link you to the spoiler gallery to show up what's gonna be in it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Used up 30k coins for m20 packs~ wonder if i should do sealed that is going on atm just for extra cards...

Anyway i updated my feather deck with some new carda
Swapped out my healing hawks for white leylines and gonna put the indestructible instants in my sideboards.

I want to update my red and green dino deck too @_@

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I usually spend the first week playing limited. I did just 1 sealed last night and started brewing my own jank. It's so much more fun IMO. The decks I see are all over the place. It's fun, even if not "optimal" for collection.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Neither the PlayM20 or LevelUp codes have done anything for me, they got accepted but I never received anything. Normally there's a couple of hours delay with such codes which I've come to expect but it's been nearly a day and no one else seems to be having the same problem. I guess all I can do is keep waiting.