• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Deck
unknown.png

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How are people liking London mullies? Feel it's better overall or?
There was no doubt it will be better for limited. Samem probably holds true for Standard. In general it's just less of a feel bad but can enable certain decks since it makes finsing specific pieces easier, this is more relevant for Modern and Legacy.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still think they also need to make a change for going 2nd.

The amount of times I would of won if I went 1st, especially in the BO1 red world is insane.

What are people's opinion on an extra bonus for going 2nd. Perhaps a free scry 1 before draw?

Dec 5, 2017
Someone that good games you thinking they have you dead then you turn around and kill them at the last second is like the best possible feeling.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
killing a dread presence while scapeshift is on the stack.

whoever was my opponent that game, sorry dude.

(but please if you want to scapeshit, go sultai rather than golgari)

The amount of times I would of won if I went 1st, especially in the BO1 red world is insane.

the trick is not playing bo1

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
killing a dread presence while scapeshift is on the stack.

whoever was my opponent that game, sorry dude.

(but please if you want to scapeshit, go sultai rather than golgari)

the trick is not playing bo1

BO1 is clearly the most popular, it will be the most popular and the game needs to evolve with it, at least in the MTG Arena format.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it? None of the big content producers stream, make videos or write about bo1 regularly. The bo3 meta is always better understood. People that are serious about playing good decks play bo3.

I'd love to see the stats. Who gives a shit about streamers, I'd wager all the bets that BO1 is the most popular, will always be the most popular and they need to cater to their biggest audience. The fact that they are ACTIVELY thinking about card design for BO1 shows it isn't going away.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like fighting games - even if everyone who actually cares about the game in a "serious" way is doing so on a competitive level, meaning BO3 here, they're still a tiny, tiny minority. I'd wager 80%+ of people playing just do BO1.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't imagine it's as high as 80%. I want to like Bo1 but it's just not as fun. I'm not even super competitive.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope more people give Bo3 an honest try in the future. I was averse to it too, at first. Not so much the extra time commitment, but it took a while to be good at sideboarding and I could never just cut and run with a single win before my opponent figured out my BS and hard-countered it game 2 and 3. But I appreciate that it's enjoyable enough just taking a well-established, well-rounded deck and wreck stuff in Bo1. It's only when I got tired of being on the receiving end of that I decided to try Bo3 more seriously. I can win against tier 1 decks far more consistently in Bo3 than Bo1, since I already know their counters better than they know mine and I can sideboard more effectively.

It also feels friendly towards jankier decks, since you have 15 more spots in the mainboard in place of the common deck-archetype-counters now residing in your sideboard.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
On going first, it really is still a giant advantage even in Bo3. While both players do get to go first, one goes first twice. And I believe sideboarding has even evolved to vary depending if you are going first vs going second.

Also Hydra tribal seems like it would be amazing, there's Krasis, the new M20 legend and bioessence Hydra. I can just imagine someone trying to kill a Krasis, you cast Dive Down, and the M20 Legend kills 2 creatures.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
On going first, it really is still a giant advantage even in Bo3. While both players do get to go first, one goes first twice. And I believe sideboarding has even evolved to vary depending if you are going first vs going second.

It's still an advantage, I'll give you that. But I think knowing the matchup is a bit of an equaliser, since both players now know what a good hand is for going first/second against each other. I know in Bo1 I've thought "This is a good hand against anything other than RDW", then get hit immediately with turn 1 mountain into Firebrand. As far as I'm concerned, the first game in Bo3 basically information gathering.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017

Also Hydra tribal seems like it would be amazing, there's Krasis, the new M20 legend and bioessence Hydra. I can just imagine someone trying to kill a Krasis, you cast Dive Down, and the M20 Legend kills 2 creatures.

To be fair it was mostly nissatron and leylines that let me cast a 10 point Finale on turn 4 tutoring up the Green Elder God Zombie

Hydra tribal is hilarious. With leylines and nissa I was attacking with 3 21/21 by turn four. I had 2 hydras in hand just in case.

To be fair it was mostly nissatron and leylines that let me cast a 10 point Finale on turn 4 tutoring up the Green Elder God Zombie

Its very starting hand dependent. If only there was a new mulligan out there that could accomodate that....

robox

Nov 10, 2017
been playing for a few months but still haven't given Bo3 a try. as f2p, i feel like i can't even build a tuned 60 card deck let alone a 75 card deck + sideboard. it's why i unabashedly play janky red aggro. least amount of rares needed to be viable.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
been playing for a few months but still haven't given Bo3 a try. as f2p, i feel like i can't even build a tuned 60 card deck let alone a 75 card deck + sideboard. it's why i unabashedly play janky red aggro. least amount of rares needed to be viable.

The nice thing about janky red aggro is that there are a bunch of new enemy color hoser cards that will benefit you in sideboarding.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would scrying 1 going 2nd be too much in BO1 in everyone's opinion. Something needs to be done imo.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017
I hope more people give Bo3 an honest try in the future. I was averse to it too, at first. Not so much the extra time commitment, but it took a while to be good at sideboarding and I could never just cut and run with a single win before my opponent figured out my BS and hard-countered it game 2 and 3. But I appreciate that it's enjoyable enough just taking a well-established, well-rounded deck and wreck stuff in Bo1. It's only when I got tired of being on the receiving end of that I decided to try Bo3 more seriously. I can win against tier 1 decks far more consistently in Bo3 than Bo1, since I already know their counters better than they know mine and I can sideboard more effectively.

It also feels friendly towards jankier decks, since you have 15 more spots in the mainboard in place of the common deck-archetype-counters now residing in your sideboard.

I would usually play BO3 ranked but have been messing around in BO1 (unranked mind you) with a Golos mastermind deck that alieldrazi was playing and im probably having more fun with magic than I ever have. You get sick of narset, thought erasure and tef every game after a while and just want to mess about with a fun card like Golos

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I spent the last month or so spending all my widlcards on the esper control deck, which is still good, but it doesn't lead to any of the new exciting decks using new cards.
I have 2 rare wildcards and they're sitting there because there is no deck I can build using them that is any different from war of the spark deck.

Last time I stopped playing was because of this feeling that a new set doesn't mean exciting new possibilites, but just more stuff I can't access.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the last month or so spending all my widlcards on the esper control deck, which is still good, but it doesn't lead to any of the new exciting decks using new cards.
I have 2 rare wildcards and they're sitting there because there is no deck I can build using them that is any different from war of the spark deck.

Last time I stopped playing was because of this feeling that a new set doesn't mean exciting new possibilites, but just more stuff I can't access.
That's why I love izzet phoenix, it's competitive and require not too many rare cards.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
That's why I love izzet phoenix, it's competitive and require not too many rare cards.

Izzet Phoenix and Drakes are great in that they are very budget friendly, fun-to-play (at least for me) and don't lose much in the rotation. Its still my only high tier deck.

I feel you. I'm still working on Ravnica stuff cos I need the lands, so thats where all my drafts and gold is going. and since the recommended way is to draft a lot and wait to open packs later to make full use of dupe protection, I have a lot of packs waiting to be opened (40 War of Spark packs and counting). Now I'm mostly jamming proliferate decks / Spark Double Decks since getting crazy turns and ulting my old planeswalkers immediately is pretty fun, though not exactly competitive.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Izzet Phoenix and Drakes are great in that they are very budget friendly, fun-to-play (at least for me) and don't lose much in the rotation. Its still my only high tier deck.
The deck will not function without good replacements for Opt, Chart a Course and Tormenting Voice. Just because the rares are from the last year doesn't mean rotation won't impact it.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fun vampire deck around, but I would need to craft like 7 rares from Ixalan and it makes no sense since it is rotating out so soon.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
The deck will not function without good replacements for Opt, Chart a Course and Tormenting Voice. Just because the rares are from the last year doesn't mean rotation won't impact it.
Instant: https://scryfall.com/search?q=commander:UR+cmc<=2+type:instant+(e:war+OR+e:grn+OR+e:rna+OR+e:m20)&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
Sorcery: https://scryfall.com/search?q=commander:UR+cmc<=2+type:sorcery+(e:war+OR+e:grn+OR+e:rna+OR+e:m20)&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

I can see [[Maximize Altitude]], [[Maximize Velocity]], [[Contentious Plan]], [[Anticipate]] and maybe [[Samut's Sprint]].
It doesn't look good indeed.

We can only hope for the fall set "Archery".

edit: I'm talking Izzet Phoenix, Drake version should be fine, but also much weaker and less fun, imho.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So just to hammer my original gripe with this game home:

damn, second time I've run into drop hackers. Game really needs some match history and report functionality, not to mention a friends list.

Like, anyone putting money into this thing when people can just force disconnect you with no repercussions might as well be throwing it into a fire pit.

Then when you try to connect it just sits at a 'waiting' reconnect screen indefinitely.

So, being the idiot I am, I bought the 4.99 welcome pack in order to afford the season pass.

Saturday morning, I used the two XP promo codes but there was server instability so they didn't work immediately. I waited a while, logged back in, and went from level 4 to 8.

Unfortunately the only reward I got was one mastery orb from level 5.

Here's a screenshot of my Mastery page afterward:

I had 0 gold, so I should have been given 500. And I received no new packs, and didn't unlock that alternate card art either.

To add insult to injury, Wizards has such awful customer service that my only recourse is to yell into the void on their bug forums where 50-100 other people will post "me too" and never get a response from the developers. I tried to contact them over Twitter but the MTG accounts are only for promotional purposes.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Try on reddit, if you reach the front page they usually answer.

btw: for whoever needs a budget deck:

Last edited:

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
4 Ajani's Pridemate (M19) 5
4 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
4 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
11 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Resplendent Angel (M19) 34
2 Bishop of Wings (M20) 8
3 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
1 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
1 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
1 Mountain (RIX) 195

how improve, friends? i feel like i need another land or two, more lavacoil coinciding with that would be nice as well but idk what to drop. the 1 drops are pretty key for t2 pridemates to go off, it feels bad taking any angels out considering they're the point of the deck. i don't own anymore resplendent or bishops. the 5 draw cards are to make up for the fact that i'm on a lean 20 lands, which def gives me blowout wins when i find the lands, but obv if i'm land starved i never get to bust out my angels, very boom or bust atm. fun concept tho but i'm not experienced at 'splash'ing colours mildly like this idk if i'm on the right track (i have a much more red boros angels deck but this one is specifically about lifegain)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I recently installed this after it not working for whatever reason a while back, and it seems like it's in a good spot now.

Made it past the tutorial and a few matches, and then read the last bunch of pages in this thread.

I played Hearthstone pretty heavily the first few years it was out, then grew tired of it (I played MtG heavily in paper format in the 90s and digitally a little after that). Right now I feel this game is a nice breath of fresh air, but some of the posts have me a little scared, while others have me thinking this and Hearthstone have an awful lot in common actually.

The posts that got me a little scared were the ones along the lines of "I played for 4+ hours today and couldn't even get the wins I needed" - this is not even remotely the loop I want to get in to - and the main reason I quit Hearthstone, the daily grind sucked so much after a while. So I'm curious if I can enjoy this without that grind and just casually play a fun game here and there.

And the stuff I found it seemingly to have very much in common with Hearthstone is the board floor / rush deck mentality in drafting and general gameplay. Get your board out fast, first, and swarm your opponent for a quick victory. And the mana curve for arena in Hearthstone (favoring 1-3 mana spells, and only a few heavier spells so you always have actions to play) seems to be the desired mana curve here too.

Well I'm excited for this for now, hopefully it lasts me! :)

Oct 28, 2017
I find this to be more accessible than Hearthstone though they are similar. I don't feel forced to complete all my quests and no quests require wins.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Hearthstone is play the meta or die.

With magic theres all kinds of fun archetypes you can play and get wins.

For example my "fun deck" is a Corpse Knight/Celebrant deck that uses mirror images, spark double/quasiduplicate to make stupid amounts of knights and Celebrants and puts the Op in a damned if you do/don't situation. It dies to Cry and fliers but its hilarious (to me) when you got 3 knights, 4 celebrants and an afterlife dork on the board.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
The posts that got me a little scared were the ones along the lines of "I played for 4+ hours today and couldn't even get the wins I needed" - this is not even remotely the loop I want to get in to - and the main reason I quit Hearthstone, the daily grind sucked so much after a while. So I'm curious if I can enjoy this without that grind and just casually play a fun game here and there.

Getting daily wins is a pretty small portion of the overall F2P progression (and drops off significantly after the first win), so I wouldn't worry about it too much beyond it just sucking to lose several matches in a row. All the quests, as mentioned, are unrelated to wins and just require you to play cards (lands/specific color), kill creatures, or attack with creatures.

If you're just starting out, know that (AFAIK) the non-ranked queues (Play and Traditional Play) take your deck strength into account. They've never said specifically how it works, but if you're using something close to the starter decks, it'll try to match you against players also using the starter decks. It should make the on-boarding less brutal. The ranked queue can be rough if you're new. There are strong decks at all levels.

how improve, friends? i feel like i need another land or two, more lavacoil coinciding with that would be nice as well but idk what to drop. the 1 drops are pretty key for t2 pridemates to go off, it feels bad taking any angels out considering they're the point of the deck. i don't own anymore resplendent or bishops. the 5 draw cards are to make up for the fact that i'm on a lean 20 lands, which def gives me blowout wins when i find the lands, but obv if i'm land starved i never get to bust out my angels, very boom or bust atm. fun concept tho but i'm not experienced at 'splash'ing colours mildly like this idk if i'm on the right track (i have a much more red boros angels deck but this one is specifically about lifegain)

20 lands feels pretty greedy with those big angels at the top. You could try cutting a few of the Legendary angels since you have 4x of each of them. Add some lands and some Gods Willing to protect your creatures / improve draws.

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Getting daily wins is a pretty small portion of the overall F2P progression (and drops off significantly after the first win), so I wouldn't worry about it too much beyond it just sucking to lose several matches in a row. All the quests, as mentioned, are unrelated to wins and just require you to play cards (lands/specific color), kill creatures, or attack with creatures.

If you're just starting out, know that (AFAIK) the non-ranked queues (Play and Traditional Play) take your deck strength into account. They've never said specifically how it works, but if you're using something close to the starter decks, it'll try to match you against players also using the starter decks. It should make the on-boarding less brutal. The ranked queue can be rough if you're new. There are strong decks at all levels.

Yeah, I don't really get too tilted, I made it through Hearthstone after all, and I know to expect the perfect meta decks to pop up at all levels of ranked play, it is a CCG. So just gotta take the losses in stride and do what I can with what I have. Part of the fun in losing is seeing why you are losing and trying to come up with the counters for that, and then turning the losses in to wins, even if only occasionally.

Plus I'm looking forward to drafting / sealed play here than there, and that won't really be as unbalanced outside of a lack of drafting knowledge, but I did pretty well in Hearthstone's arena, you really have to just have the right curve for that, just because you have a great option for a 6 cost card, doesn't mean you should take it if you've already got a few and not many lower cost ones.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017

You have multiple 4 and 5 drops (activating Resplendent Angel counts as this) in your deck and you should be running more lands. Depending on draw spells to get them is what's giving you your boom or bust feel, plus you're wasting early turns trying to find your lands instead of developing your board as a result. Just take out all five draw spells and replace them with lands. You might even want to look into Temple of Triumphs or Wind-Scarred Crags, as those will facilitate either filtering your draws or lifegain lost by removing the revitalizes.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
placing a curious obsession on a cerulean drake against mono red feels dirty, almost true name nemesis level of annoying :v

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the suggestions my dudes! def knew i needed lands was just at a stumbling block of wtf do i take out since the angels are the whole point of things

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't really get too tilted, I made it through Hearthstone after all, and I know to expect the perfect meta decks to pop up at all levels of ranked play, it is a CCG. So just gotta take the losses in stride and do what I can with what I have. Part of the fun in losing is seeing why you are losing and trying to come up with the counters for that, and then turning the losses in to wins, even if only occasionally.

Plus I'm looking forward to drafting / sealed play here than there, and that won't really be as unbalanced outside of a lack of drafting knowledge, but I did pretty well in Hearthstone's arena, you really have to just have the right curve for that, just because you have a great option for a 6 cost card, doesn't mean you should take it if you've already got a few and not many lower cost ones.

If you are primarily into limited play (sealed, draft), then there's a lot of mileage you can get out of this game as a f2p. You'll want to keep some of the same hearthstone tactics of rerolling 500g quests for the higher 750 payout and never wasting a quest slot. It can be more difficult to go infinite, but having a second account can keep keep the drafts going quite well.