• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The season pass made me realize I don't care about winning as much now. The past few months I've been grinding hard trying to get to Mythic and now I don't care as much. I just do my quests and by the time I finish them I generally have my three wins. So, I can just call it a day.

The game is much more enjoyable when I'm not obsessed with winning and I can just play a few games a day. I can appreciate the game more instead of constantly being titled by the end of my session. I also seem to rank up more consistently now, instead of playing long sessions and ending back up where I started.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
The deck will not function without good replacements for Opt, Chart a Course and Tormenting Voice. Just because the rares are from the last year doesn't mean rotation won't impact it.

Fair enough. I'm not too worried though, since there usually playable cantrips. We still have Radical Idea and possibly Amass the God Pharaoh / Contentious Plan for a Proliferate based version. Kefnet (which is already being played) can reduce the casting cost.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
so im really bad at making my own decks and dont have a ton of wildcards

i should probably wait till after some tournaments but what are we looking at for meta so far

what are the funnest stuff coming out of mtgo lists like this?
Follow the twitter account "arena decklist", they publish a lot of decks that have reached mythic, way more fast than waiting for the next GP :v.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So a couple quick questions,

The guide here mentions two free codes for 6 boosters, they should still work and no reason not to claim them right? I'll try them out when I'm home later, but curious.

Is this tracker the best one to use? I always used one with Hearthstone and figured I'd check first to see what people like.

Is this drafting game one of the better ones to practice with? The only drawback is it doesn't actually give you a draft from the cards (I don't think), just tests your knowledge on what they're worth in a draft. Or maybe it does, only quickly glanced at it.

And which site do people prefer for deck building info for ranked play (which seems to be what people say is the quickest way to knock out the wins needed for the 3 free packs / week)?

Oh, and while 1v1 is fun, I wonder if there's any potential plans of seeing a 1v1v1 or 2v2 mode in the game? I feel like when Hearthstone starting breaking out some of the more unique modes that made it a little more interesting to me, but still after a while eventually I had enough. I get the senes there's a bunch of limited time modes that rotate around here, any really fun ones to try and not miss?

Oct 28, 2017

The guide here mentions two free codes for 6 boosters, they should still work and no reason not to claim them right? I'll try them out when I'm home later, but curious.

I don't know if the codes still work, but certainly no harm in trying. Here's a list I pulled from Reddit:

• PlayRavnica (3 Guilds of Ravnica packs)
  • PlayAllegiance (3 Allegiance packs)
  • Starterstyles (Alternative art)
  • SuperScry (Cosmetic Opt Ixalan (3D))
  • ParallaxPotion (Revitalize card and card style)
  • FoilFungus (Deathbloom Thallid Card Style)
  • SparkleDruid (Firebrand style)
  • ShinyGoblinPirate (Druid of the Cowl Style)
  • PlayWarSpark (War of the Spark Packs)
  • OverTheMoon (Arlinn, Voice of the Pack style)
  • InnerDemon (Ob Nixilis stained glass style)
  • OneBillion (1 WAR Booster Pack)
  • SHIELDSUP (Teyo's stained glass card style)
  • WRITTENINSTONE ( Nahiri Glass Style)
  • EnlightenMe (Narset, Parter of Veils card style )
  • PlayM20 (3 M20 Packs )
  • LevelUp (Level up 2 levels)
Is this drafting game one of the better ones to practice with? The only drawback is it doesn't actually give you a draft from the cards (I don't think), just tests your knowledge on what they're worth in a draft. Or maybe it does, only quickly glanced at it.

MTG drafts are not like Arena in Hearthstone at all. You absolutely should not practice with that draft game because it's going to teach you how to draft in the wrong way. Drafting in Magic is far, far more complicated than Hearthstone and the strategies that work in Hearthstone won't work here. There is no tier list of cards that you can just mechanically follow based on rating. You could open a 3 color mythic bomb and a great, splashable uncommon and the uncommon might be the better choice as your first pick.

To learn how to draft, go to YouTube and watch beginner draft tutorials. Then watch intermediate draft tutorials. Then expert. And keep in mind that paper isn't the same as Arena either in that you're drafting against real people in Arena, and that does matter. That said, paper tutorials will be better than nothing and definitely better than that garbage you linked that will make you actively worse.

And which site do people prefer for deck building info for ranked play (which seems to be what people say is the quickest way to knock out the wins needed for the 3 free packs / week)?

I don't think there is a good one. "Arena Decklists" Twitter is alright. MTGGoldfish can give you decks that recently did well in tournaments and on Magic Online (not Arena, the old version). Magic isn't like Hearthstone though in that netdecking isn't as important. You can make whatever you want and usually do somewhat well with it if you're a good player. That said, there are definitely decks that are overall better than others and tournaments certainly do have a metagame which MTGGoldfish can clue you in on.

Oh, and while 1v1 is fun, I wonder if there's any potential plans of seeing a 1v1v1 or 2v2 mode in the game? I feel like when Hearthstone starting breaking out some of the more unique modes that made it a little more interesting to me, but still after a while eventually I had enough. I get the senes there's a bunch of limited time modes that rotate around here, any really fun ones to try and not miss?

Paper Magic has a four-player (or more) FFA format called Commander that is outrageously popular and fun. At some point, they will 100% bring that to Arena in some form. That said, they've said they're focusing on making the base Magic experience as good as possible first. That means I wouldn't count on multiplayer for a few years at least.

The current special modes rotate weekly. I think normal Magic is still better than all of them but they're usually kinda fun and I'll often play a round or two.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
]Is this drafting game one of the better ones to practice with? The only drawback is it doesn't actually give you a draft from the cards (I don't think), just tests your knowledge on what they're worth in a draft. Or maybe it does, only quickly glanced at it.

Drafting Magic is very different than Arena on Hearthstone- There is no way to "fuck up" an Arena deck, becuase you are picking a class beforehand and it will never offer you a card from another class. In Magic, there are 5 colors, and the key part of the draft is picking cards in a way that you end up with a playable deck that is usually 2 colors. It is often correct to not select the objectivly best card in a pack if it's not in the colors you are committed to. You also need to "read" how the draft is going- if you start taking Blue cards and notice that there are no more blue cards coming your way, it probably means that the other bots are also keyed in on blue, and that you might want to change colors. Sometimes, you will see a card very late and realize that there might only be 1 other bot in on that color, and that you might want to switch.

Generally, a tier list is only really good for your pack 1 pick 1, and for specific cases of where you are trying to compare two cards you are deciding between in the same color that seem to be about the same power level, but even then, that won't take into account informaiton like what your projected mana curve looks like at that point

There are draft simulators out there- draftsim is one for desktop, Decked Builder is one for mobile- but it's very hard to accuratly practice draft without actually drafting

Magic has a 2v2 format called 2 headed giant that they officially support, but they removed it from Magic Online a few years ago and I don't know how elegant it would be to implement it into arena. Last year, they created a new format in Paper called "Brawl", that seemed like the most obvious plant for a multiplayer mode in Arena, but they haven't said anything about it actually coming to arena, and i've never met anyone that actually plays brawl, so who knows.
If they add 3+ player game modes, it's probably going to be years down the line

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017

Is this tracker the best one to use? I always used one with Hearthstone and figured I'd check first to see what people like.

On building for ranked play, there is Budget Magic by MTGGoldfish, which is fairly entertaining. The main problem with most sites is that their decks aren't really budget. You can probably build 1 of the cheaper ones, but it would cost most of your wild cards, so you would be out of luck if the deck doesn't suit your style after you play it a bit. Also do unranked,, its likely to be easier than ranked (well Bronze ranked might be an exception).

If you are new to Magic and like both constructed and draft, I would recommend to buy packs first. While draft is a great way to get cards, you really have to get a least of a couple of wins to make it worth it over buying packs. Buying packs also gets you more of the wildcards you need to build your first budget deck (uncommon wildcards can be surprisingly rare as a new player). But do try ranked draft once a month, reason being you must play one ranked draft to qualify for the draft season reward, which will get you one pack.

On the various play modes. I like Momir (everyone casts random creatures) and pauper (only common cards allowed)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
On building for ranked play, there is Budget Magic by MTGGoldfish, which is fairly entertaining. The main problem with most sites is that their decks aren't really budget. You can probably build 1 of the cheaper ones, but it would cost most of your wild cards, so you would be out of luck if the deck doesn't suit your style after you play it a bit. Also do unranked,, its likely to be easier than ranked (well Bronze ranked might be an exception).

If you are new to Magic and like both constructed and draft, I would recommend to buy packs first. While draft is a great way to get cards, you really have to get a least of a couple of wins to make it worth it over buying packs. Buying packs also gets you more of the wildcards you need to build your first budget deck (uncommon wildcards can be surprisingly rare as a new player). But do try ranked draft once a month, reason being you must play one ranked draft to qualify for the draft season reward, which will get you one pack.

On the various play modes. I like Momir (everyone casts random creatures) and pauper (only common cards allowed)
MTGGoldfish Budget Magic is NOT intended for Arena- it's built around budget rares usually, where as there is no such thing as a budget rare on Arena- a Teferi Hero of Dominaria has the exact same value as a stone unplayable Limited only mythic.
For example- This Aristocrats deck from Budget Magic costs $12 on MTGO, but is 2 Mythics and 22 Rares on Arena
Meanwhile, here is a normal, high tier Nexus deck- it's needs 7 Mythic and 20 Rare wildcards

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
best budget decks on arena atm are probably mono white aggro, mono blue tempo and izzet phoenix, especially the latter 2.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
budget on arena means low rare and mythic count. i haven't found many deck list resources that cover that, but i've not dug in too deeply to find any.
mono color is the best bet, since you don't need the rare lands that enable multicolor decks more consistent. like the mono blue deck seems tempting to play since it's very low rare count but it's in tempest djinn which will rotate out.

omniscience draft was a godsend for picking up cards because you didn't have to worry about sticking to any colours.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This page has increased my new account by like 200+ cards, pretty nice! I only got a few matches in yesterday, went 3-1 with a slightly modified green starter deck. Lost to someone with a planeswalker - haven't seen those before had to do a little research on them. I still need to unlock the basic free decks though and fill up the mastery page, so I guess it'll be a little while before I get into drafting or setting up trackers.

I guess if you're going to spend any money, the $5 one time deal is a no-brainer huh? Followed by the $30 one-time deal? Not sure I'll go that deep in yet, but the $5 one seems like a good deal.

I also see a ton of complaints about the client, but it runs pretty smoothly for me. It's not as optimized as Hearthstone was, but I imagine whenever they get around to launching it on mobile devices that'll greatly help lessen the load on PCs too, assuming it's built on the same engine for both platforms - you'd think by nature having it fixed for mobile would help the PC client.

Oct 28, 2017

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wotc has changed the mastery system in response to feedback. Weekend warriors rejoice!

XP from wins is now counted as part of a weekly goal. For the first 15 wins each week you get 250xp (3,750 total each week). This reduces the amount of wins required to max xp for a week (from 21 down to 15), and significantly increases how much XP you get from wins (up from 1,400 a week).

As a result of this, XP from quests has been reduced to 500 each. Total weekly quest XP reduced from 5,600 to 3,500.

Total available XP for a week has been increased from 7000 to 7250, while reducing the total wins required by 6.

Daily win and quest gold/icr rewards remain unchanged.

I'm quite surprised they changed this so quickly. I expected waiting until next xpac for a change.

We also found out that completing new events for XP will grant 1,000 per event.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The xp for the first 15 wins is a good change. It gives players more incentive to play rather than just doing quests and three daily wins.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Unlock Chandra Planeswalker Deck: https://gleam.io/AjOkU/chandra-planeswalker-deck-in-magic-the-gathering-arena

It expires 14th July, so gotta go fast!

Here's what you get:

chandra.png

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
MTGGoldfish Budget Magic is NOT intended for Arena- it's built around budget rares usually, where as there is no such thing as a budget rare on Arena- a Teferi Hero of Dominaria has the exact same value as a stone unplayable Limited only mythic.
For example- This Aristocrats deck from Budget Magic costs $12 on MTGO, but is 2 Mythics and 22 Rares on Arena
Meanwhile, here is a normal, high tier Nexus deck- it's needs 7 Mythic and 20 Rare wildcards

Its true that Budget magic is more oriented towards being cheap in paper and MTGO. But the streamer does highlight when a deck is also budget on MTGA.

Liking the new changes to the Mastery XP, I feel much more confident in gaining a large amount of levels. I wouldn't pay real money for it, but I'm happy to convert 3400 gems from drafting into it, since I'll likely make back the equivalent in gems and gold. so its basically 20 packs and 9 Mythics ICRs for free (cosmetics are fairly worthless to me, though the level 100 sleeve does look pretty cool)

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Budget decks in Arena seem to be best when mono colored due to the lands, as others mentioned, or tribal (goblins, vamps, merfolk, etc). The lords (those that give +1/+1) are usually uncommon and just smashing together whatever you have can sometimes be enough for a cohesive deck. Things like Unclaimed Territory help dual color tribe decks with the rare cost as well.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Chandra tribal decks are going to be the Feather decks of this set. Plenty of versatility. You can go elementals, you could go mono red aggro, you can rely on Chandra walkers as your win con. Looks like a nice alternative to normal mono red aggro. Expensive though.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
For all the grumbling about the Mastery Pass, I have to admit that I logged in every day since the release of the set and got my 3 wins. I'm usually not that consistent of a player, but life stuff has quieted down, and I wanted that XP. Also makes me realize that I'll probably never have the time for the grind to Mythic given that even when I play "a lot" it's still never gonna be enough unless I get lucky on an 80% tear through the ranks. Anyone here gonna try the Metagame Challenge this weekend? It's probably the closest we'll get to Leagues/Tournys in Arena, so I wanna test my chops. Not sure what deck to play. I've mostly been working with janky builds since the new set.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The UG flash deck is pretty cool, but if it gets popular (I'm not sure it's that good tbh) people are going to be crying to have Esper back in terms of blue decks.

Oct 28, 2017
I just lost a match because my opponent put four Auras on a creature and I couldn't target the one that gave it flying so that I could Disenchant it. I had no way to "view all enchantments" or something. That's gonna be problem if we go back to Theros. Really, it's a problem now because GW's draft archetype is aura-based a bit.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mono red is just way to powerful in standard. I am just rolling people with it. And then in mirror matches it just comes down a lot to who goes first.

I imagine vampires / lifegain would stop it? If so, people should be using it more because 50% of my matches are mono red.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Mono red is just way to powerful in standard. I am just rolling people with it. And then in mirror matches it just comes down a lot to who goes first.

I imagine vampires / lifegain would stop it? If so, people should be using it more because 50% of my matches are mono red.
Mono red isn't too good, it's getting worse. It's cheap and some people like to play fast games, what format are you in?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Mono red isn't too good, it's getting worse. It's cheap and some people like to play fast games, what format are you in?

It's not too bad yet, but you're right that mono red aggro at least is getting worse. Some of the other colors are getting faster decks and mono red aggro either runs out of steam taking out the threats instead of concentrating on face, or get stomped when they ignore the opponent's creatures. There's Azorius flyers for example that is making the rounds and there's just too many flyboys for aggro to take out and still win consistently.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving this Simic Flash deck even without all of the cards, just played a game where I must have countered the opponent for like 7 turns in a row.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this Simic Flash deck even without all of the cards, just played a game where I must have countered the opponent for like 7 turns in a row.

Yeah it's a fun deck. I've been messing around some Sultai variants. The mana base can be tough, but black just has some really flexible tools to help with some matchups.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

In Bo1 it's just insane, even more so if you go first. Throw in Experimental Frenzy / Risk Factor for card gen and it's crazy.

If going 2nd needs to have a bigger advantage in Bo1 then drawing. Scry 1 would be a good test.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Simic flash is annoying AF. Frilled mystic, essence scatter, negates, and merfolk trickster, and still have space for sinister sabotage and unsummons. All so you can wait 10 or more turns to finally draw your wolf. And the worst part is everyone I've played running it has to hold priority for a good 30 seconds on every spell like they're in a featured match on the pro tour. There's not even that many threats, just takes forever. At least esper jerks I can tell within 7 turns if I'm gonna have a chance. Boo I say, boo.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
In Bo1 it's just insane, even more so if you go first. Throw in Experimental Frenzy / Risk Factor for card gen and it's crazy.

If going 2nd needs to have a bigger advantage in Bo1 then drawing. Scry 1 would be a good test.

We told you this before, if you don't like it stop playing best of 1.

Simic flash is annoying AF. Frilled mystic, essence scatter, negates, and merfolk trickster, and still have space for sinister sabotage and unsummons. All so you can wait 10 or more turns to finally draw your wolf. And the worst part is everyone I've played running it has to hold priority for a good 30 seconds on every spell like they're in a featured match on the pro tour. There's not even that many threats, just takes forever. At least esper jerks I can tell within 7 turns if I'm gonna have a chance. Boo I say, boo.
Told y'all. It's the kinda of blue deck people complain about (lots of counters) even when it doesn't exist. I still think it has a couple of very real holes like Teferi and Ceratops that stops it being tier 1 long term.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Told y'all. It's the kinda of blue deck people complain about (lots of counters) even when it doesn't exist. I still think it has a couple of very real holes like Teferi and Ceratops that stops it being tier 1 long term.

Oh I don't doubt it. There's a lot of points to break it, it's just every match I've had against it (save one where opponent clearly was mana screwed) has been a complete slog. And if someone is gonna put me through all that there should be a threat bigger than that wolf that they've been working for.

Unrelated, resolving a sephara is one of those things that heals my heart.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We told you this before, if you don't like it stop playing best of 1.
How about no. Arena is built on Bo1 and you be stupid to think otherwise. They chose to make the client with Bo1 as the key game so it's the main conversation.

Red is fucked.And they should be called out on it.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On a side note, I'll love getting smashed by RDW over counters and Tereri. People say this is the best standard ever but they are kidding themselves imo. I hope in a week or two we see a better meta because from playing from Macedonian Masks this is bla, yet you got every man and his dog gushing over it.

Let's add more direct damage red and more counter spells. That's what we want from MTG FFS.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
For dailies I'm finding monoblack control to be pretty effective in bo1 nonranked play.

Boardwipes with Cry. Cast down for bigger non-legendaries. Hand disruption with Yaroks Fenlurker. Massacre girl does her thing beautifully. Eldest reborn is a two of and works well getting it down on control. Finale is a one of and long games get cleaned up after that. Dread Presense is great utility too. Plaguecrafter again double duty against single large threats or hand disruption against control. I got two Blast Zones as for enchantments as an early Dreadhorde Invasion can be a bad time. Considering if I could fit my own as it makes a nice finisher and early block support against aggro. Oh and has Eternal Taskmaster to recur Plaguecrafters and dodges Cry.

Finishers are Bontu and Liliana.

It wipes creature based stuff. Massacre Girl especially for elementals.

Diiiiiies to esper control. This is def not a ladder deck. But for your daily wins it gets the job done.

Obviously not the most efficient monoblack build but dropping massacre girl and eating all those elementals feels good.

Man.... I really miss Mindsludge and Corrupt.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
How about no. Arena is built on Bo1 and you be stupid to think otherwise. They chose to make the client with Bo1 as the key game so it's the main conversation.

Red is fucked.And they should be called out on it.

Magic is designed around Bo3 play with a sideboard. Their design space and philosophy inherently expects you to be able to make decisions for games 2 and 3 that drastically help against certain match-ups. You're kidding yourself if you think that will radically change because Arena exists.

edit: bringing Protection from X back shows that they are really not going in a Bo1 direction.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
This has to be a meme by now: The odds an Epser, Grixis or Dimir control deck plays Thought Erasure turn 2? 120%. 199% With London Mulligans.

Sucks for Bo1 but just keep in mind when you get starting 7s: Its a lot to consider and seems at opposite ends but you gotta ask " Can this hand beat early aggro or does this hand fall apart if I get Thought Erased?". Depends on your decks strength and weaknesses. Plus a lot of blue/black on the unranks don't thought erase well anyway. Going for my lilliana (I kept her in my 7!?) or other late game card instead of the Fenlurker.

I get that you want the juciest card on turn two but if shes not coming down by turn 6 at the very least what have I really lost?

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Magic is designed around Bo3 play with a sideboard. Their design space and philosophy inherently expects you to be able to make decisions for games 2 and 3 that drastically help against certain match-ups. You're kidding yourself if you think that will radically change because Arena exists.

edit: bringing Protection from X back shows that they are really not going in a Bo1 direction.

They are literal designing cards around Bo1.

https://imgur.com/LZJmsbp

You're kidding yourself if the online format on Magic isn't going to change standard.

They willow for the easy money and it's online.