• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tiers go from 4 (lowest) to 1 (highest) outside of Mythic rank
Bronze 4-1
Silver 4-1
Gold 4-1
Platinum 4-1
Diamond 4-1
Mythic ??%-99%
Mythic #1000-#1
(don't quote me on the mythic ranges lol)
Oh yeah, I know the tier structure, I just know what the hell "Mythic Tier 1" means lol. Maybe I misread and it was something tier 1 for my limited finish.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I know the tier structure, I just know what the hell "Mythic Tier 1" means lol. Maybe I misread and it was something tier 1 for my limited finish.
Ah, well then you finished at the highest tier of whatever rank you were at. Had you won some more you would've moved on to Tier 4 of the next rank

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, well then you finished at the highest tier of whatever rank you were at. Had you won some more you would've moved on to Tier 4 of the next rank
Yeah, probably was the Silver or Gold for limited or something if I read "Tier 1".

I know I finished Mythic rank in Constructed, was just hoping to get that Top 1000 finish for the MC Qualifier invite. Dropping from #520 to out of the Top 1000 in 24 hours, or from #730 to out of the Top 1000 in 6 hours on a damn work day would be brutal!

Feb 16, 2018
Is there a way of finding out after a season concludes what rank you finished at? I left for work at 7am CST around #730 and wasn't sure if I would fall 270+ spots out of the Top 1000 in the 6 hours the season had left. I don't have a fancy Mythic badge in my profile so I assume I fell that many spots?

I had fallen about 200 spots from 11am the day before, which was a ~20 hour span. Would've thought I was safe.

if you ended in the top 1000 you'll probably get an email sometime in the next few weeks

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, probably was the Silver or Gold for limited or something if I read "Tier 1".

I know I finished Mythic rank in Constructed, was just hoping to get that Top 1000 finish for the MC Qualifier invite. Dropping from #520 to out of the Top 1000 in 24 hours, or from #730 to out of the Top 1000 in 6 hours on a damn work day would be brutal!

I'd be really surprised if that isn't exactly what happened. I don't think 730 sounds like enough.

Oct 27, 2017
When you have to spec the mastery tree, but you know you are going to get all of them eventually:
dart-thrower-blind.jpg

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya, got confirmation I was somewhere outside the top 1000 on Constructed.

It's wild that I fell literally half of the top 1000 (from about 500 to out of top 1000) in 24 hours without a loss, or fell 270+ spots in 6 hours (730 or so) on a business workday without a loss, either.

It's a bad feeling about incentives for playing. Was I supposed to take off work for a video game?

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This lag on the client is really getting ridiculous. I only have 8GB of RAM, but even after the last major patch it's really REALLY starting to hitch after about 30 minutes of play time. WotC's digital products department really need to step their game up. Hopefully all the War of the Spark / Hasbro investment money for the year starts paying off.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Some players are insufferable. All they did was spam good game and nice. They had a bunch of healing and board clears with an angel here and there.

They concede before I could beat them. OOPS!

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an epilogue to my Arena Mythic bitching, turns out I finished #953rd.

I still fell a full ~220 spots, out of the possible 1000 in the top 1000 of course, on a working Wednesday morning in only six hours.

Even though it worked out for me in the end, my criticism stands unchanged. I hope Wizards changes its ranking system in the future to make it such that it's not so heavily race-to-the-finish oriented. And I don't think changing the closure time -- say, to midnight EST -- achieves much. That shift would benefit US-based players like myself but it would simply disadvantage anyone currently in a global time zone, where it closes locally at midnight for them now, to having it close at 10am on a workday for them, too.

They won't make the change, but they should.

And for the love of god, let Traditional BO3 drafting count for Limited ranks.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
what are good archetypes to draft bo1 in 2020 for? red/green has sooo many good 1/2/3 drops & elementals i never see a reason to draft otherwise unless i get a crazy good rare, but it's not really expanding my collection at this point

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about the treasure event tomorrow and don't think grinding out the mountain will be as enjoyable as last weeks. Feels like it's encouraging the mix of competitive and casual that is going to give half the people a bad experience.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been away for awhile and am just getting back in. Is there any way to get crystals anymore without paying money?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot of decks have trouble beating a turn 2 Karn the Great Creator, especially on the draw. Got a lot of concessions when people realized that they couldn't use their treasures and next turn all their stuff would cost 2 more.

On the other hand, I lost to someone who played Mayhem Devil turn 2 and another Turn 3. Going first is even more of an advantage in this event than normal.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Knocked the event out quickly. That kind of stuff tends to get stupid rather fast. Saw one Mayhem Devil, but that person got crushed by dinos.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Karn is really good here. Got all my wins in no time with mono-Green Nissa-Karn-Ramp. Seems like a lot of people are just bringing in their Standard decks, which I don't think is that good of an idea.

Now to be fair, mono-Green Nissa-Karn-Ramp is also just a Standard constructed deck, but since ramp is already a central pillar of the deck, getting extra free ramp helps it a lot more than it does other decks. Aggro gets faster, but so do you, and they'll run out of gas much quicker than you. Karn also just shuts down your opponent's Treasures (and most format-specific gimmick decks along with them) and fetches you specific answers to their deck, setting them back massively if not outright winning you the game. Scapeshift barely benefits from the Treasures at all, as they'll still need to get seven Lands into play, and by that time I'd have two Amulet of Safekeeping on the field to shrink their Zombie Tokens to 0/2s.

Outside of ramp decks, I feel Feather is one of the few straight-from-Standard decks that really benefits from the Treasures, since they're less about early aggression and more about getting certain pieces on the board with protection up, which the Treasures allow them to do much faster.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the event. Really reinforces the feeling that the only thing that matters is to win games as fast as possible. Got most of my wins with a Jund Dinosaur list against people not playing Karn t2.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My GW Wolf deck is already ramp-heavy, so the event was pretty easy for me. Get some elves down on turn one and you've got 5 mana on turn 2, which enough for a turn 2 Tolsimir or Nightpack Ambusher, and it snowballs pretty quick from there.

I also managed to get 7 wins in an RNA draft! So I'm now only 550 gems away from affording the mastery pass, and at like level 45, so pretty much at the point where I'd be breaking even. Pretty successful morning!

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly prefer the tone of the pre-con event more. Treasure event is pretty tilted towards being on the play so you can resolve a wincon. Whether that be Karn, Mayhem Devil, Woodland Champ, and so on. Did run into someone using the treasures to run a WAR Niv-Mizzet deck, so that was sweet to see go off.

However! *loving* the Rebecca Guay lands.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I'll take a build-your-own-deck event over a precon event most any time, even if I'd really rather just be able to ladder more. For this one I just brought in the UW fliers deck, which really only uses the treasures to more consistently put Sephara into play on T3. I did feel a little bad killing someone's sweet WR dinosaur brew, but they would have had me if I didn't have a second Sephara like 2 turns after they killed my first one. Much prefer this to the precon decks' game of "did I manage to draw my 1 or 2 of removal?" since I couldn't seem to ever win the opening die roll.

The Guay lands and the Unhinged full arts are great, however. Went in and replaced basics in a bunch of my decks right afterwards.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still mixed on which format I like more between the precons and the others. I had much more fun games when the playing field was relatively even, even if the decks themselves weren't all that great. It took me longer to get my 6 wins last week, but it was probably a more enjoyable event.

On the other hand, I finished this week's event in about 20 minutes, partially because dropping a handful of specific cards pretty much forced concedes even being on the draw for most matches. For me, that card was Lavinia...I had a rough time against a few decks playing this during the last treasure event. I definitely felt like I was rewarded more for planning ahead a bit, but I also felt like I was taking advantage and really screwing people over that were trying to have fun.

Maybe the next event will be a better balance between the 'play this deck to win' vs grindfest to get the rewards.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Finally quit Hearthstone, I tried to balance my time between HS, MTG:A, and paper Magic... and HS is worst of the three. I'll give credit to HS for the enjoyable 4+ years I did play it and the card game basics it helped me learn to ease into the day I eventually got into Magic middle of last year, but the only thing it's really done for me since then is just show me how much better MTG is.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was still playing Hearthstone for about two weeks into my Arena time, and it was mostly due to being tilted trying to play beyond the limitations of the starter decks I was given at the time. After the decks opened up I haven't loaded up that client again. But I still miss original Renolock. That was a crazy fun archetype that doesn't really translate into Magic, essentially playing singleton against a standard deck. Maybe that's why I'm unusually excited for brawl.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
is drafting monocolor in m20 a thing? just played a mono red. previously seen mono green and mono black.

Feb 16, 2018
is drafting monocolor in m20 a thing? just played a mono red. previously seen mono green and mono black.

it can happen

arena drafting happens with computers (who aren't truly building viable decks) instead of with players. this results in no consistent/reliable patterns about which colors will be generally available or cut off for your seat.

this results in smaller benefits for finding the right colors to draft along with a larger opportunity cost for picking cards you don't end up playing. you should still be able to play 2-color though, but maybe have a primary color and a splash color instead of an even split. the mana consistency for 1 main color and 1 side color is way better than a 50/50 split between 2 colors, and that matters a lot more in best-of-1

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Merchant recently on Twitter was basically begging for a Treasure Map reprint before it leaves Standard. I feel we need one, but maybe more of a spiritual successor that isn't a flip card?

fOIjdjD.png

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the client supposed to download new updates automatically now? Or did I imagine it

The big change to the client updates was that the updater no longer needs to download the entire game after a patch. The download for the update today was around 100 mb or so instead of a full client download.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
elementals is like a damn hearthstone deck

ive decided from now on im only playing all in combos and quitting after turn four if it looks bad

i should be a modern player

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The next random Arena event is Amonkhet singleton? Weird.
It's just Singleton. The whole schtick of the Chonicles this time around is that you're backpacking through the planes on vacation, so each event is listed [Plane] - [Event Name]. The plane doesn't actually matter or factor into the event.

elementals is like a damn hearthstone deck

ive decided from now on im only playing all in combos and quitting after turn four if it looks bad

i should be a modern player
Turn 4 in modern? Seems pretty slow.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
My local store owner has basically said the same sentiment when he talks to players interested in Modern events. Can you win by or on turn 4 with your deck? GG.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Went 6-1 in the singleton event pretty easily with Boros aggro, only lost to Gruul which seems pretty good.