• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
Got 6 wins in the singleton event with an esper list I netdecked. Added in more removal and sweepers after losing to petitioners a couple of times. Surprised Nexus wasn't banned as I milled an opponent until they only had Nexus but they conceded with no win conditions.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get my event done with 6-3, which I consider respectable since I literally just threw a mono green pile together in 3 minutes. Gaea's Blessing even showed up like 5 times but not a single petitioner deck in sight.

But man I got slow rolled like 3 times (well maybe I'll give one of them the benefit of the doubt) when it was clear I had the game wrapped up. Full timeouts and everything. Which I honestly didn't expect for a goofy format like singleton.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Went 6-1 with green Stompy for the singleton event. The only loss was to a Naya dinosaurs list that blew up my whole board playing Silverclad Ferocidons with a Marauding Raptor and the guy that deals 1 to the whole board when a dino ETBs already in play. Ramp, a little bit of card draw, and some big dumb creatures gets it done when so many other decks are inconsistent. Doesn't hurt that green has some tutor effects so you can search up Ghalta frequently.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Went 7-1 with jund dinos. Really wanted to play standard dinos but since I started playing during guilds' release, I don't have the cards for it. This event provided a nice place for me to get my stompy on. I played against like 4 other stompy decks, first match was naya dinos.

I still think they should extend the time for these events. Keep the win counts the same but less time pressure to get through them

Oct 28, 2017
Went 7-1 with jund dinos. Really wanted to play standard dinos but since I started playing during guilds' release, I don't have the cards for it. This event provided a nice place for me to get my stompy on. I played against like 4 other stompy decks, first match was naya dinos.

I still think they should extend the time for these events. Keep the win counts the same but less time pressure to get through them

Agreed. They should last all week. I missed last week's and I'm kinda sad.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you guys want some extremely high quality magic content on Youtube, I highly recommend the channel Rhystic Studies. He doesnt really show decks or talk about meta, but instead does in depth documentary style videos on various aspects of Magic.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
do people share game stories? because i gotta get one off my chest.

so in rna draft and i'm in mardu colors. i build my deck with weenies and removal. and now i'm facing down a gate colossus that's giving me trouble since like most of my dudes are power 2 or less, and i blew a buncha removal early game to push through some damage. i spend a few turns trying to weather it by putting whatever i have that can block colossus: rafter demon, bellhaunt, and even a macabre mockery on opponent's zegana. all the while also trying to deal with their adapted creatures. i go several turns trying to survive, while thinking i should probably concede, but nah.

i was down to 8 life and i thought that's game. they turn their 3 creatures sideways and goes attacking. they only needed colossus to attack but i'll just play it out and see how it goes. sharktocrab gets blocked by a twilight panther and eats it on the deathtouch. flying 3/3 thing gets blocked by my syndicate messenger and and a spirit token. and i just eat the colossus damage. because i had teysa out, the spirit got lifelink and my life went from 8 to 0 to 1. my messenger turned into more 2 spirits. that was their fatal mistake.

next turn, i'm still alive and they're at 14. i have 6 creatures: i have teysa, fireblade artist and 4 spirits. i thought maybe if i sac everything, it'd still only deal 12 damage. it was then i learned i could only sacrifice 1 creature with fireblade. oppo's tapped out and 1 card in hand. i attack, bring them down 12 to 5 with my weenies. i have theatre of horrors out and oh look, i just got a grasping thrull this turn! cast that, drain 2. i had also been holding on to carnival/carnage for a few turns. nothing i could do with 1 damage to creature; nothing i could with the discard since oppo pretty much played out his hand each turn from his commanding position. but that 3 life right at the end, boom, just enough

---

i won, and it was thrilling, but i'm not sure i'm cut out for magic if it's always like this. this one game took 20+ minutes. not even a match. i always need to take a break after these grindy matches. i'm much more of an aggro player. win or lose, keep it within 10 minutes and move on. that seems more valuable timewise, since a win is a win no matter how long it takes. i'm inclined to find another game that matches my personality. or this teaches me a lesson in patience and riding things out. or i just got lucky when the opponent overplayed his hand.

edit: next 2/3 games i flooded the fuck out. last one 11/16 lands drawn with 25 cards left in the library

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Who ever thought printing Knight of the Ebon Legion was a good idea needs to get fired.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
In response to the story ^^^. Those long drawn out games where any move could make or break it are the best. I know aggroing through everyone is good for rewards but man it gets boring. 20+ min matches are a slog (depending on the matchup) but as long as its a good matchup they can also be the best experience as well. An underdog win always is a great feeling ^.^

Who ever thought printing Knight of the Ebon Legion was a good idea needs to get fired.
Call me a noob, but is it that good of a card? Combo making it blow up?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Knight of the Ebon Legion is a great design. Good utility without being overbearing. Standard could use a lot more designs that fit that mold and fewer Threeeferi-type designs.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm glad Mono-Black is getting more tools, it's the only mono deck that doesn't really have a strong aggro archetype, especially as zombies have been rotating out. KotEL is great.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
do people share game stories? because i gotta get one off my chest.

so in rna draft and i'm in mardu colors. i build my deck with weenies and removal. and now i'm facing down a gate colossus that's giving me trouble since like most of my dudes are power 2 or less, and i blew a buncha removal early game to push through some damage. i spend a few turns trying to weather it by putting whatever i have that can block colossus: rafter demon, bellhaunt, and even a macabre mockery on opponent's zegana. all the while also trying to deal with their adapted creatures. i go several turns trying to survive, while thinking i should probably concede, but nah.

i was down to 8 life and i thought that's game. they turn their 3 creatures sideways and goes attacking. they only needed colossus to attack but i'll just play it out and see how it goes. sharktocrab gets blocked by a twilight panther and eats it on the deathtouch. flying 3/3 thing gets blocked by my syndicate messenger and and a spirit token. and i just eat the colossus damage. because i had teysa out, the spirit got lifelink and my life went from 8 to 0 to 1. my messenger turned into more 2 spirits. that was their fatal mistake.

next turn, i'm still alive and they're at 14. i have 6 creatures: i have teysa, fireblade artist and 4 spirits. i thought maybe if i sac everything, it'd still only deal 12 damage. it was then i learned i could only sacrifice 1 creature with fireblade. oppo's tapped out and 1 card in hand. i attack, bring them down 12 to 5 with my weenies. i have theatre of horrors out and oh look, i just got a grasping thrull this turn! cast that, drain 2. i had also been holding on to carnival/carnage for a few turns. nothing i could do with 1 damage to creature; nothing i could with the discard since oppo pretty much played out his hand each turn from his commanding position. but that 3 life right at the end, boom, just enough

---

i won, and it was thrilling, but i'm not sure i'm cut out for magic if it's always like this. this one game took 20+ minutes. not even a match. i always need to take a break after these grindy matches. i'm much more of an aggro player. win or lose, keep it within 10 minutes and move on. that seems more valuable timewise, since a win is a win no matter how long it takes. i'm inclined to find another game that matches my personality. or this teaches me a lesson in patience and riding things out. or i just got lucky when the opponent overplayed his hand.

edit: next 2/3 games i flooded the fuck out. last one 11/16 lands drawn with 25 cards left in the library

These close battles are the best. Its also why I like limited a lot. I had a back and forth game recently where we were trading creatures and he suddenly dropped a Gargos and seemingly stabilized, only to see it die to a Sanitarium Skeleton + Bladebrand. Standard gets really samey when you can pretty much figure out their deck from their first spell (or even land drop)

I just hate that they really push the stats on rare and mythic creatures. In the past removal was a lot better (and still common), so with good play you can do well even with semi-budget decks. Now you just get outclassed without much you can do about it. Like how do you even answer a Krasis cleanly? Same for the Knight, it usually trades for a card or wins you the game. Pretty good for 1 black mana.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
KotEL feels like a black Thorn Lieutenant, just pushed in every metric. Vampires are a little more supported than elves right now, 1 mana instead of 2, the static +1/+1 growth is generally stronger than the hex-token effect, and the activated ability is crazily half the cost and comes with a much more versatile effect in deathtouch.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I might be done with standard until rotation. Sick and tired of vampires.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4-2 drop in the MCQW. Would've been nice to have one of those charmed runs where you play jank, but had an expected 5 tier one matchups.

I know Shift is a dog to Vamps, but fuck me I'm now 3-13. I sailed in four matchups of mirror, Bant ramp, mirror, and something else bad, but mulls to 6 in four games against perfect curve out Vampires decks ended me fast.

Vamps is an annoying deck because it's a goddamn pile plus Sorin, and to a lesser extent, new Knight one drop, and to a further lesser extent, Adanto. Games of Sorin turn 3 versus games where he's not arriving on time are so different its absurd. I don't enjoy playing the deck, let alone against the deck, for that reason. Variance seems high.

Feb 16, 2018
4-2 drop in the MCQW. Would've been nice to have one of those charmed runs where you play jank, but had an expected 5 tier one matchups.

I know Shift is a dog to Vamps, but fuck me I'm now 3-13. I sailed in four matchups of mirror, Bant ramp, mirror, and something else bad, but mulls to 6 in four games against perfect curve out Vampires decks ended me fast.

Vamps is an annoying deck because it's a goddamn pile plus Sorin, and to a lesser extent, new Knight one drop, and to a further lesser extent, Adanto. Games of Sorin turn 3 versus games where he's not arriving on time are so different its absurd. I don't enjoy playing the deck, let alone against the deck, for that reason. Variance seems high.

sorin is dumb, but a lot of people just play vampires because all of their non-aggro decks lose to instant speed scapeshifts

these new planeswalkers make dominaria teferi look like a masterclass in design

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Am so tilted right now, today is one of those days where u play 3 games of ranked back to back where all opponents running Blue and u can't play shit.

Basically it was 1hour+ of everything annoying about MTG/Arena wrapped in a single sandwich(mana screw/flood, endless counters, no win condition decks, and slow full control opponents).

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sorin is dumb, but a lot of people just play vampires because all of their non-aggro decks lose to instant speed scapeshifts

these new planeswalkers make dominaria teferi look like a masterclass in design
It's awful that they made a new Teferi that makes big Teferi look tame and healthy for format in only a year's time. God I hate little Teferi.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
He told you he wasn't done yet. He told you that he'd slow things down, but you didn't believe him.

If it's any consolation, he's apologized for having to do this.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the new event in less than an hour with Wizards. Thought I'd be a dog to Dinosaurs but didn't lose a game to any Ripjaw Raptor decks through Unsummon and some timely top decks to burn them out before they got a lethal number of big dumb monsters.

Still lost a bit to other decks like UR Drakes, Featherless Feather, Rakdos Sacrifice. It does feel like a pretty competitive event.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was already running a not-so optimized dino deck till rotation, so this was over rather quick.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, it's the simic flash shakeup!

Managed to finish the event in 10 matches (2 of them non-games), but at least half my matches were simic flash. They made me sully my pure beautiful honest sephara deck to load it up with counters for their counters so neither of us can have fun. I apologize to the one dude just trying to do some grixis that had to run into that. You were just a poor innocent stumbling into the crossfire.

Mirage lands are pretty sweet. But I think I'll be stuck on either Guay or Unstable lands for a while. The only land cycle I haven't cared for in these events is the amonkhet ones. I'm curious what the last set will be.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, they finally mentioned the Mac client (coming after EGS). Nice to know it hasn't been forgotten.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see it as a bad thing. Personally, I'll just keep using the client. If it draws in more players that great for continued support.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have no issue with it being on EGS as long as the standalone client remains, but I do wonder how purchasing gems and such is going to work for the EGS version. Will it still open a browser to buy them directly from WOTC or will they be bought from an interface on EGS itself?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Artifact was a failure, but Arena could learn something from it: Auction. House. Gems, cash, gold, whatever. Just let us buy singles.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Arena is going more for a Hearthstone-like game economy as opposed to a real world model like MGO does. In some ways that makes the barrier for entry and cost of playing much much lower, at the inconvenience of unilaterally making cards at the different rarities cost the same (AKA Teferi, Time Reveler costs the same as Planar Cleansing).

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly, though. There should be a marketplace for just buying specific cards. (Can you buy wildcard packs?)

This is a terrible business model that you are offering.

You are clearly out of the loop on how many cards you accuire through the normal play in MTGA. Any type of real-cash value associated with singles would be the end of MTGA's business model. Show me a popular TCG that is cheap - there is none. The cost of most desired cards is balanced by the cost associated with opening packs for them. If you want to buy a deck of single, go pay $200 in MTGO for the typical 3-color deck and enjoy the "benefits" of TCG.

Artifact was the failure partly because TCG is obsolete, CCG is the only way to build the community today. The bullshit type auction economies where "everybody profits" is a fantasy, Valve was blinded by the dumb hat/knife market.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arena is going more for a Hearthstone-like game economy as opposed to a real world model like MGO does. In some ways that makes the barrier for entry and cost of playing much much lower, at the inconvenience of unilaterally making cards at the different rarities cost the same (AKA Teferi, Time Reveler costs the same as Planar Cleansing).
Hearthstone has dusting and requires 2/1 copies.

MTG Arena saddles you with garbage and requires 4-of, including the punishing Mana base requirements.

Dusting has been a demand since the days of early closed beta in December 2017. They've never seem interested, much to the closed beta community's angst.

Oct 28, 2017
Hearthstone has dusting and requires 2/1 copies.

MTG Arena saddles you with garbage and requires 4-of, including the punishing Mana base requirements.

Dusting has been a demand since the days of early closed beta in December 2017. They've never seem interested, much to the closed beta community's angst.

The community is full of people who don't understand that the two are not directly comparable. In Hearthstone you choose to dust or keep. In Arena you keep and get the dust anyway. It's much better since you still build decks at roughly the same rate.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I like Arena's system though I lament the scarcity of some wildcards. As a f2p player though i can't complain because it offers a lot for nothing.