• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Captura.PNG

Brawl event for Eldraine right now

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully Brawl isn't limited to events like this one, like Singleton and Pauper are. Do we know when this event ends?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Brawl isn't limited to events like this one, like Singleton and Pauper are. Do we know when this event ends?
Seems to be ongoing until set release.

Someone made a thread for the WAR trailer, and I found this trailer more visually impressive, so made a thread for the new trailer. Put it on Gaming side since there's a live Arena event right now and the trailer logo says Arena.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Already got 6 wins with at least 1 with each deck. Really fun format, but I'll most likely stick to Brawl on Arena and Commander on paper going forward for myself.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All the brawl precons seem pretty viable, but I'm enjoying the Esper/Artifact/Enchantment one the most. Frogify-ing an opponent's commander feels like such a dick move when they have to waste their own removal on it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the knight deck feels super underwhelming in brawl. Very expensive leader card that all other decks have cheap removal for and when you don't get your leader going it's just a pile of random knights and terrible equipment.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So far the knight deck has performed the worst for me by far. It feels by far the most RNG, like....yeah when it DOES work it can do some fun shit, but it's way less likely to happen than the other decks fun shit. And yeah, it's mostly because holy fuck that commander costs a shitload.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh new update isnlive? Hmm will see if i am in mood to play thru with a knight deck.

For the most part it's just some UI changes, Eldraine preorders and older cosmetics rotating back into the shop. The main event is the Brawl event using 4 precons with Eldraine Commanders and a bunch of other Eldraine cards.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I cant get enough brawl. This is the first of the free events where I just keep playing and playing. Havent touched standard since this event came out.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I cant get enough brawl. This is the first of the free events where I just keep playing and playing. Havent touched standard since this event came out.

Brawl is going to be a godsend for players currently burned out by Standard. It's really coming out at the right time IMO.

(Historic would've also been a nice change of pace, but that wildcard nonsense is backbreaking)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, I'm having the complete opposite reaction to Brawl than you guys are. I played 1 game each with the Bant and Jund ones, and I just found playing the game painful
Granted, I HATE EDH, so this shouldn't surprise me, but man I just didn't find this very fun

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I played the Brawl event to get the 6 wins, my impressions were that Bant Ramp and Esper Faeries/Artifacts/Enchantments were clearly better than Jund Sacrifice and Mardu Knights. I only managed to cheese out a Mardu win with the free equip on a Colossus Hammer and while the Jund deck has some interesting synergy, it was just too mopey to do much. Doesn't help them that the other two decks' commanders are cheaper and get pretty great if you can activate them once.

(I also just don't like singleton formats very much, I'd rather have a deck that does something powerful consistently - back to Standard for me.)

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Brawl seems to be for people who get annoyed they can't play a 30 turn game and do a bunch of silly shit.
30 turn game thing might have some truth to it because the games are longer. But the silly shit part is the opposite I think. Even with singleton there was just a greater emphasis on each card. You didnt just spam 4 of the same type of burn spells over and over. Its just a different way to deckbuild. I like the fact you have to carefully weigh each card to determine the theme of the deck. You can get up to way more silly shit with multiple copies of a card.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, I'm having the complete opposite reaction to Brawl than you guys are. I played 1 game each with the Bant and Jund ones, and I just found playing the game painful
Granted, I HATE EDH, so this shouldn't surprise me, but man I just didn't find this very fun
Yeah the split of player base is going to people who like EDH and those who don't. I'm not a fan.

It'll be interesting how a meta develops when you can build your own decks considering EDH play groups police themselves when things get good. Might not be as popular when people are trying to win rather than play a 10 min no rush game mode

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean a 30 turn game with a load of silly shit sounds like a lot of fun to me. Does EDH/Brawl tend to have more variation in the decks you face than any given standard? Because at this point I'm just glad for a change of pace from the usual half a dozen decks I face off against in standard constructed. That's why I like the first few weeks after a new set/rotation: standard's up in the air and everyone's experimenting to figure out the next big thing before anyone else.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean a 30 turn game with a load of silly shit sounds like a lot of fun to me. Does EDH/Brawl tend to have more variation in the decks you face than any given standard? Because at this point I'm just glad for a change of pace from the usual half a dozen decks I face off against in standard constructed. That's why I like the first few weeks after a new set/rotation: standard's up in the air and everyone's experimenting to figure out the next big thing before anyone else.

Yup. That's the essence of EDH and Brawl. Personality and customization. Brawl will have less but still far and away more than standard. Sounds like it's right up your alley.

SilentAnthem

Oct 27, 2017
Totally not feeling Brawl.
It feels like every game takes forever and just results in some random win or loss due to a board clear or lack of answers.
Like singleton, only worse somehow? Maybe if we were allowed to make our own decks it wouldn't be as bad, but I just felt like the decks we were given had too many enchantments and artifacts, and when there's a half-dozen different random abilities that can be activated each turn my brain just shuts down and wants the game to end.

Also, the new music is super grating. I don't need trumpets blaring at me when I'm trying to focus on the game, MTGA.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think all of the brawl decks rely too much on the commander. It's a build-around of course, but the cards should do something even without them.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in on Brawl because I like variance. But I feel like the precons here tend to be very durdley, with the two good decks (the Band ramp one and the faerie one) really favoring building up obscene board states.

I think with an open meta it will be better. Still a lot slower than standard, but not quite as painful.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But you'd also not want to associate them with clunky terrible decks. But I get it.
If you think Brawl and by extension commander shouldn't rely on the commanders, you probably shouldn't play the format.

The commander is integral, we're talking about a singleton format, the cards ALL should have synergy with the one other card you can guarantee you're going to cast.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Brawl and by extension commander shouldn't rely on the commanders, you probably shouldn't play the format.

The commander is integral, we're talking about a singleton format, the cards ALL should have synergy with the one other card you can guarantee you're going to cast.
I didn't say they shouldn't be good with the commander. I said they shouldn't be garbage without them.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Just jumped back in after taking a break starting one week after the WAR release. Really enjoying the Brawl event. Also, the mastery pass thing really has its hooks in me, I'm trying to justify purchasing it despite only being level 8 because the extra rewards every level seem super fun... good job monetization designers...

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just jumped back in after taking a break starting one week after the WAR release. Really enjoying the Brawl event. Also, the mastery pass thing really has its hooks in me, I'm trying to justify purchasing it despite only being level 8 because the extra rewards every level seem super fun... good job monetization designers...

If you want to buy thhe master pass, check how long it is still going, ithink it will run out at the end of september, but i am not sure.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to buy thhe master pass, check how long it is still going, ithink it will run out at the end of september, but i am not sure.

Even if I gain 1 level per day for the next 18 days until the pass closes, I won't hit the level I would need to break even (35). I will probably buy the Eldraine pass though.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I for one can not wait to be rid of the triple color dominaria cycle. Screw chainwhirler and tempest djinn, mild contempt for steel leaf champion and benalish marshal. Dread shade was an ok guy, but i kind of never liked any shades' design being in black, the growing by mana archetype feels so much more green. Black should be paying life or sacrificing things to grow, or at the very least make it mandatory that you tap all untapped mana to feed it so it at least feels selfish and greedy in nature, so actually screw that thing too.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The new standard event will be starting up later today. You can only use cards from Guilds of Ravnica onwards (including cards won in the Eldraine Brawl event) and you need 2 consecutive wins to get 200 XP (there are no rewards for 0 or 1 win). No entry cost, as far as I can tell, and it can be repeated. Weirdly enough there's a ranked and unranked version of the event.

Remember to pack your instant speed removal, I'm expecting a lot of Simic flash.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The new standard event will be starting up later today. You can only use cards from Guilds of Ravnica onwards (including cards won in the Eldraine Brawl event) and you need 2 consecutive wins to get 200 XP (there are no rewards for 0 or 1 win). No entry cost, as far as I can tell, and it can be repeated. Weirdly enough there's a ranked and unranked version of the event.

Remember to pack your instant speed removal, I'm expecting a lot of Simic flash.

So that you can match against more competitive decks if you wish.