• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The event is live.

After every single loss you have to return to main menu and roll the event again from the very beginning. I get it that this is the easiest way (for them) to have the 2 win streak condition, but still, ugh.

Oct 27, 2017
Before the event it didn't dawn on me that I have to redo every single one of my decks. Ugh.

Does the rotation also mean there will be new standard decks for newcomers, and do older players get those decks for free?

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Before the event it didn't dawn on me that I have to redo every single one of my decks. Ugh.

Does the rotation also mean there will be new standard decks for newcomers, and do older players get those decks for free?

Yes, actually the release of M20 already introduced the 5 new mono-colored, new-player decks which only have cards from Guilds of Ravnica forward. You'll get the cards in them when Eldraine releases. https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/c8n800/for_those_of_you_wondering_what_the_m20_starter/

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, actually the release of M20 already introduced the 5 new mono-colored, new-player decks which only have cards from Guilds of Ravnica forward. You'll get the cards in them when Eldraine releases. https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/c8n800/for_those_of_you_wondering_what_the_m20_starter/

Cool, thanks for the info. But I still really don't look forward to comb through all those cards for hours to upgrade my decks, if they even work at all anymore...

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The event is live.

After every single loss you have to return to main menu and roll the event again from the very beginning. I get it that this is the easiest way (for them) to have the 2 win streak condition, but still, ugh.

Yeah and the odd loss here and there will really sting. Its very much a Wotc way of doing a thing in arena. I dont know what happened lately but the client was so fantastic early on.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The two decks I'm running for the event:

//Creatures (24):
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Fireblade Artist
4 Footlight Fiend
4 Dreadhorde Butcher
4 Mayhem Devil
2 Order of Midnight
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim

//Planeswalkers (8):
3 Liliana, Dreadhorde General
3 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator
2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame

//Non-creature Spells (3):
3 Angrath's Rampage

//Lands (25):
10 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
11 Swamp

//Creatures (25):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
3 Tithe Taker
3 Orzhov Enforcer
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Seraph of the Scales
4 Teysa Karlov
2 Cruel Celebrant
2 Corpse Knight

//Planeswalkers (4):
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (8):
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Prison Realm
2 Moldervine Reclamation

//Lands (23):
4 Plains
4 Swamp
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
4 Godless Shrine

The first is a consistent, fairly standard Aristocrats deck.

The second shits all over gates and is pretty solid otherwise.

EDIT: People really didn't tune their decks for this event. They just took cards out of existing decks and replaced them with good enough new ones. I've played gates, elementals, and the mono red 1 power deck thus far exclusively.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mind making these importable?
3 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146
11 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Dreadhorde Butcher (WAR) 194
3 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
3 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
4 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
2 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
10 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Fireblade Artist (RNA) 172
2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
4 Swamp (RIX) 194
3 Forest (RIX) 196
3 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
4 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
3 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
2 Moldervine Reclamation (M20) 214
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
4 Teysa Karlov (RNA) 212
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed (GRN) 180
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
2 Corpse Knight (M20) 206

Oct 27, 2017
This fairytale set looks meh :( Filler until the next big plane

I am still going to purchase the Mastery Pass, but meh, the focus on Commander and the adventure/cake mechanics don't interest me too much.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This fairytale set looks meh :( Filler until the next big plane

I am still going to purchase the Mastery Pass, but meh, the focus on Commander and the adventure/cake mechanics don't interest me too much.
Mark my words, the higher rarity Adventure cards are going to be staple for a while, especially in Bo1 on Arena specifically. Having that kind of flexibility is valuable.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
goddamn how many times have i been screwed over by the auto land tapper....
need to stop being lazy about picking which lands to tap. especially when trying to go off on a big turn

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I think with the standard 2020 event I'm done with this game. I think I gave the game a fair chance, including its battle pass, but all around they don't respect me as a customer and everything points to them keeping this course.

Feb 16, 2018
the game is weird. it's both way more generous for some players and also more inaccessible for others

when they changed the packs to make sure they gave you rares that you don't already have 4 of, a subset of players (i'm in this category) could basically collect everything while still accumulating wildcards and currency

removing the loot box aspect from packs makes it more generous than most card games, but anything they do to counteract that seems to make it more inaccessible for everyone else without really affecting people in my category too much

for example, making historic wildcards cost 2X only affects people who don't have the cards. when GRN-M20 rotates into historic, whether or not those rares cost 2 wildcards or 1 wildcard won't matter to me because i'll already have 4-of each

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have been getting consistent wins (currently 20 - 1 W/L) with this simic flash deck. Have met every tier 1 deck and it can and often will beat every one of them. Key is to counter their key cards, and then let the wolfs be your brigade until they run out of creatures and answers.¨Its also quite cheap to build.

4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
11 Island (ANA) 57
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
1 Faerie Duelist (RNA) 39
4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
8 Forest (ANA) 60
4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
2 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Negate (M20) 69
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
3 Convolute (M20) 55
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Unsummon (M20) 78
4 Thornwood Falls (M20) 258
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have been getting consistent wins (currently 20 - 1 W/L) with this simic flash deck. Have met every tier 1 deck and it can and often will beat every one of them. Key is to counter their key cards, and then let the wolfs be your brigade until they run out of creatures and answers.¨Its also quite cheap to build.

4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
11 Island (ANA) 57
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
1 Faerie Duelist (RNA) 39
4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
8 Forest (ANA) 60
4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
2 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Negate (M20) 69
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
3 Convolute (M20) 55
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Unsummon (M20) 78
4 Thornwood Falls (M20) 258
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178

Is this for the M20 standard event? Because I don't think there are any other tier 1 decks besides Simic flash for that one. Cavalcade red is pretty good but can be shut down early if you force them on the defensive.

I've been using this Rakdos Aggro-istocrats deck. Can get good early momentum against most other decks and Heartfire is a godsend against Nightpack Ambusher. I'm certainly doing better with it in the M20 event than on the normal ladder.

3 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
11 Swamp (WAR) 257
9 Mountain (WAR) 261
4 Dreadhorde Butcher (WAR) 194
3 Rix Maadi Reveler (RNA) 109
3 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
3 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
4 Heartfire (WAR) 131
3 Spawn of Mayhem (RNA) 85
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
3 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216
2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
2 Act of Treason (RNA) 91
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Blood for Bones (M20) 89
1 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94

Oct 27, 2017
the game is weird. it's both way more generous for some players and also more inaccessible for others

when they changed the packs to make sure they gave you rares that you don't already have 4 of, a subset of players (i'm in this category) could basically collect everything while still accumulating wildcards and currency

removing the loot box aspect from packs makes it more generous than most card games, but anything they do to counteract that seems to make it more inaccessible for everyone else without really affecting people in my category too much

for example, making historic wildcards cost 2X only affects people who don't have the cards. when GRN-M20 rotates into historic, whether or not those rares cost 2 wildcards or 1 wildcard won't matter to me because i'll already have 4-of each

Yeah, I have a similar problem... I know that a mythic wildcard is the best possible item in the booster, but it is a meh reward because:
MvN3khC.png

I only play this game for the rewards on the belief that it will grow into a social/multiplayer game one day. I need more modes to utilize my collection... + drafting is pretty trash when you have large portions of the set.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Had a good run in the GRN draft (one of my best actually) with a solid Boros deck. Cut mercilessly short at the last hurdle by someone who not only drafted 3 Nightveil Predators, but managed to play them turns 4, 5 and 6. I can't even be upset with that.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing Arena because the only way to get enough value out of it from a F2P perspective was to play every day.

Every day.

I felt like I had to put an hour into it every day, which meant I wasn't playing anything else. I don't want that in my life. So I just cut it out entirely.

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing Arena because the only way to get enough value out of it from a F2P perspective was to play every day.

Every day.

I felt like I had to put an hour into it every day, which meant I wasn't playing anything else. I don't want that in my life. So I just cut it out entirely.

I'm going to end up at level 95 with most of the Core 2020 rares playing once every 3 days at most other than the first week.

Oct 25, 2017
You can max XP playing every 3 days, but you're leaving a lot of gold on the table.

Yeah all I wanted was gold for drafts.

I did some rough math once converting gold to gems and realized that I was earning a little less than a dollar per hour in game credit. Maybe that's generous for F2P standards. But I didn't like the feeling of being beholden to play every single day just to get some gold to draft when the draft was what was actually fun for me.

I realized I was basically "working" (i.e., doing something not fun - and playing Standard isn't fun to me - I get bored of decks too quickly) to be able to do what I really wanted to do - draft. And I'm not going to work for <$1/hour. If I want to draft, I'll drop $20 on a pack of gems (I skipped Core 20 and will probably buy a pack of gems for Eldraine).

But now I'm no longer "working" in my evenings, and I'm back to enjoying them. I'd stopped watching new shows, or playing other games on my Switch, or reading books, or whatever. It wasn't healthy and I wasn't enjoying it. So I stopped. That's what the right thing was for me.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I took a couple of months off Arena when it was feeling more like work than fun. I came back a few weeks ago and, realising that I'm not worse off for missing all that time, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I don't feel like I'm wasting anything if I don't feel like playing it a given night. Maybe I'll just enjoy a few games to clear the quests, or maybe I'll just keep playing beyond that because I feel like it. Either way that break was important for making me realise how little the day-to-day rewards actually mattered to me.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I like how auto passing is still mostly just for show. If it doesn't even skip my combat step, what is it really doing?

Yeah all I wanted was gold for drafts.

I did some rough math once converting gold to gems and realized that I was earning a little less than a dollar per hour in game credit. Maybe that's generous for F2P standards. But I didn't like the feeling of being beholden to play every single day just to get some gold to draft when the draft was what was actually fun for me.

I realized I was basically "working" (i.e., doing something not fun - and playing Standard isn't fun to me - I get bored of decks too quickly) to be able to do what I really wanted to do - draft. And I'm not going to work for <$1/hour. If I want to draft, I'll drop $20 on a pack of gems (I skipped Core 20 and will probably buy a pack of gems for Eldraine).

But now I'm no longer "working" in my evenings, and I'm back to enjoying them. I'd stopped watching new shows, or playing other games on my Switch, or reading books, or whatever. It wasn't healthy and I wasn't enjoying it. So I stopped. That's what the right thing was for me.
There should definitely be cheaper drafts where you don't get to keep the cards. That is something Hearthstone does much better. And Gwent. And probably every other game with similar modes.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Yeah it's called phantom drafting and I really wish Arena had it. I enjoy drafting but I don't want to spend currency on it every time.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

Only the German account has tweeted, but they walked back the 2 to 1 Wildcard rate for historic

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really don't buy into the conspiracy theory that this was the plan all along. It seems more likely they don't know what they're doing and aren't thinking things through.

I somewhat believed it was deliberate up until the first State of the Beta afterwards, since letting it linger for that long risks backfiring too much.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's weird to have a negative reaction to something in my favour, but this latest flip flop really reduces my confidence in the game. 2 years of running Arena and it's still a broken operation when it comes to PR. 2:1 was obviously going to provoke outrage, and I assumed they were wise enough to only make that decision if it was worth the blowback. But no, they either can't predict an obvious consequence, or they are intentionally flip flopping to prove they listen to the community.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They've been doubling back on so many of these obviously unpopular moves that it really shakes your faith in whoever's making the decisions over there. I honestly don't care either way on stuff like historic or the Mastery Pass - I'm just here for drafts and killing time. But if you make a decision on how to implement something, stick to it! If you're just gonna end up doing whatever the community complains about, just ask them first and save us all the time.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
You can almost hear the suits, in their little meetings, throwing around their little business buzzterms they learned somewhere else, completely disregarding the player experience.

I'm just tired of this neverending dance across the whole industry.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The incompetence of WotC is truely astounding. At this point you really have to wonder who is runningg things over there. It's ridicolous that they flip flop on pretty much every single decision. What did they expect? Are they really this dense?

PS: And people should really stop "congratulating WotC for listening", it's unbelievable they came up with this nonsense in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
You can almost hear the suits, in their little meetings, throwing around their little business buzzterms they learned somewhere else, completely disregarding the player experience.

I'm just tired of this neverending dance across the whole industry.

The company accomodating every request by the community does not tire me at all. It feels like a fresh thing looking at the feedback loop in MTGA community.

The "deal with it", or "soon", or "your feedback is important to us, but not enough to act on it" companies are the tiring ones ;(

Oct 28, 2017
The incompetence of WotC is truely astounding. At this point you really have to wonder who is runningg things over there. It's ridicolous that they flip flop on pretty much every single decision. What did they expect? Are they really this dense?

PS: And people should really stop "congratulating WotC for listening", it's unbelievable they came up with this nonsense in the first place.

It's not unbelievable and it is perfectly fine. The people running this obviously aren't great at business. They do at least listen to feedback.

Not counting for daily wins though? Guess I'll never play.

Oct 28, 2017
Your post came across as saying "they tried their best" while to me that is just not an excuse for a business of this size. They keep making obviously bad decisions and then having to back track them, at some point that's just not enough anymore and they need to make reasonable decisions in the first place.

Do they though? They rolled it back before it affected anyone. It's simple to say they should always make the best decisions, but that's not actually a reasonable request.

They tried their best sounds like an excuse. I'm not making one for them and they don't need an excuse. They've listened and responded to feedback.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how anyone is trying to spin any of this as negative. I fucking WISH other companies listened to feedback as cleanly as Wizards has with Arena. Yeah, they've kneejerk changed tons of things - ALWAYS in the customer's favor. Most companies would let this roll for months befor ethey did anything, if they ever did at all considering it's fucking legacy style play that will probably draw little meaningful ire in the long run no matter what they do.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't difficult decisions they are making. They are incompetent.

Now they've promised putting 'new' cards into historic. They don't know how to sell them, and they don't know how to balance a format. It's going to be a complete mess.

The core game is still good though.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I love mtg and i love mtga but never give corporations the benefit of the doubt. There's always a game here and the costumer is always being played. They have multiple people on payroll whose whole profession and prior education is all focused into figuring out exactly how much you can charge someone for something. The initial announcement and rollback could have just entirely been to sneak the 'no getting win rewards in historic' change in unnoticed. Historic is already a format that's going to be very prone to getting 'solved' very fast every season with some seasons not changing the meta at all, without any rewards it's going to turn the queue into a graveyard and funnel players into the non eternal formats that require more regular cash infusions. Is that the entirety of the story for this particular announcement and rollback? Probably not, but you can bet they know exactly how much they are or are not projected to be making with this or any other changes they announce and this pattern has repeated too many times to brush it off as either managerial incompetence or an example of wise acquiescence to player feedback.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I've been out of the country for a few weeks and missed a lot of the wotc drama. Good to hear they reversed the historic wildcard crap.

But I wanna make sure I didn't miss-understand something I saw. Are they not including Arena redemption codes with the paper Brawl precons? Because that feels pretty crappy. That seems like an easy cross promotion and something I would have bought in maybe two decks.

Also how was brawl event? I'm pretty bummed I missed that. Feel like it might have some legs on Arena?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also how was brawl event? I'm pretty bummed I missed that. Feel like it might have some legs on Arena?

I enjoyed it, mechanically it seems sound and some of the new cards were fun to play around with. Most criticism was around the balancing of the precons and whether or not they were actually shite without the commander. I don't think anyone had any actual issues with the format (beyond the criticisms that already exist against the format in paper, like the singleton-esque restrictions).

It seems like the kind of format that's open to more variety than standard constructed, so I'm looking forward to that at least.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it. I'm really hoping it'll find a good home in arena. Now I just need more cheap fliers in mono white so I can make my dumb sephara deck.