• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really tempted to throw together a Boros rogues deck with Robber of the Rich, Goblin Smuggler and Outlaws' Merriment. Just rely on red's natural card disadvantage and steal as much of my opponent's deck as possible.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Really tempted to throw together a Boros rogues deck with Robber of the Rich, Goblin Smuggler and Outlaws' Merriment. Just rely on red's natural card disadvantage and steal as much of my opponent's deck as possible.

Yeah this sounds fun. My favorite magic creature is Thief of Sanity so this is my jam!

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just had the worst experience ever in my time in magic. Playing my own version of esper control against that gates deck that everyone seems to run these days. Completely outplayed my opponent get my dominaria to 8 when he topdecks a agent of treachery and thus gets to ultimate my planeswalker and win the game despite being completely out of the game. That dude should really play the lottery today.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When are the servers supposed to update and be live again?

1500 UTC, up again after 2 hours is what I've heard.

First things first, I need to update the ol' mono-black control deck with some fancy new tools. Then I might try some Cauldron of Eternity graveyard shenanigans or Rakdos control avec Robber of the Rich. Mono-green food stompy looks pretty crazy too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Supposedly (and unsurprisingly) PlayEldraine looks to be the code for this set. Someone on Reddit managed to get the code accepted but didn't get anything since the set isn't up yet. Just for future reference so don't try it yet.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
So what's up with the mastery? It's all borked atm, can't buy the pass and looks like the 3 quests aren't lined up to give xp...

Oct 27, 2017
Meh.

This is the least interesteing themed set I have encountered so far. The fairly standard fantasy game is doing the meta by adopting the generic tale fantasy world.

I cannot express how boring knights, trolls, fairies and other shit is when the lore backbone is literally random children's tales.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Meh.

This is the least interested in themed set I have encountered so far. The fairly standard fantasy game is doing the meta by adopting the generic tale fantasy world.

I cannot express how boring knights, trolls, fairies and other shit is when the lore backbone is literally random children's tales.

Well said. This is wildly uninteresting. Possibly the only bad way to adapt the material was without adapting it at all but that's what they did.

Oct 27, 2017
Well said. This is wildly uninteresting. Possibly the only bad way to adapt the material was without adapting it at all but that's what they did.

If there is some kind of satire or hidden lore somewhere, I am missing it. Keep in mind I am the type of nerd who has the MTG artbooks and is interested in lore.
Perhaps the entire set is made for the people to point at "Robber of the Rich" and say this is Robin Hood, and that is as far as the characters/story/lore goes.

I am sick of Gatewatch, but this is even worse. MaRo has too much influence to shoehorn his own quirks into the major set like this.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If this were a multi-part set then I'd probably be a bit iffy on the flavour. But I see it as just some one-off whimsy after War of the Spark tried hard to be MTG Avengers and the palate needed cleansed. I'm sure the return to Theros and whatever Ikoria ends up being will be more interesting but for now I'll just take enjoyment from the set where I can.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
First sealed draft, my wild beans adventure deck in GBW and I've barely pulled together 3 wins with 2 losses already. 3 wins is the sweet spot for me, 9 packs for 800 gems seems fair, with the upside I might actually win more games.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Meh.

This is the least interesteing themed set I have encountered so far. The fairly standard fantasy game is doing the meta by adopting the generic tale fantasy world.

I never gave two shits about Magic Lore, so that's probably why this doesn't bother me. I do however love the artwork and the talented artists that do the card art, and I enjoy how they have been playing with old fairy tales in this set. To me this is one of the most interesting and fresh recent sets from a artwork perspective.

Oct 27, 2017
I never gave two shits about Magic Lore, so that's probably why this doesn't bother me. I do however love the artwork and the talented artists that do the card art, and I enjoy how they have been playing with old fairy tales in this set. To me this is one of the most interesting and fresh recent sets from a artwork perspective.

Obviously art is subjective, and we could seal the discussion right there.

BUT

What is interesting in the Eldraine artworks?

There are couple of the fairytale cards with two-dimensional watercolor style, reminds of Dominaria historical, but for the most... I only see generic, literally plug into any other world with trolls/fairies/witches/knights/etcx, creatures, items and locations.

Some of the iconic tales in MTG cards:
giantopportunity.jpg

robberoftherichp.jpg

temptingwitch.jpg

enchantedcarriage.jpg

spinningwheel.jpg

witchscottage1.jpg

Gib me Kamigawa back :(

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously art is subjective, and we could seal the discussion right there.

BUT

What is interesting in the Eldraine artworks?

There are couple of the fairytale cards with two-dimensional watercolor style, reminds of Dominaria historical, but for the most... I only see generic, literally plug into any other world with trolls/fairies/witches/knights/etcx, creatures, items and locations.

Some of the iconic tales in MTG cards:

Gib me Kamigawa back :(

Yup those are boring.
However these to me are absolutely fantastic, and draw you into their world and say a million things while letting the imagination run wild.

e70e27ad59dcba4be782f56655934268.jpg

EDoQGZBW4AAtmHR.jpg

EEHseBnUwAAZ3ds.png

EECIJltWwAMnsIa.jpg

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If there's one thing that's bothering me, it's that the visual effect on Adamant cards looks really similar to a migraine aura and it's messing with my head.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm actually mainboarding red/green/black hate cards (Cerulean Drake, Aether Gust, etc.) in my blue/white control deck right now since there is so much aggro on ladder, and even worse it's paying off.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, I've had a few times mainboarding cerulean drake in red heavy weeks and it's incredible to be able to win on turn 2 like that.

My first sealed pool for eldraine was garbage. The mana fixing seems rough unless you luck out into tournament grounds for mardu knights. Coincidentally, my second sealed pool is exactly that and the difference is incredible. I have higher hopes for draft though, I don't think i'll bother with sealed beyond tonight.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Are knights just a complete non-starter? Can't seem to get anything half decent together. Also haven't ran into anyone else playing knights all day.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think there's anything in the Knights archetype that really requires all of Mardu. My half-arsed guess is that you'd be better off just going for Orzhov, Rakdos or Boros Knights.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We did it reddit
AdI6vbJ.png

I never play any form of limited or sealed, so that was fun. Went green/black food crazy with a henge as a bomb that probably won two of those games all on its own since once it drops you literally never run out of gas.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Henge is one of the best bombs in the set for limited so I am not surprised.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing a BR deck. It seems very strong, but I'm going to wait until meta settles to see if I want to commit to it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to stick to limited until I finish all shocklands and fabled passage. Esper control seems impossible to get to work without.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Phew, managed to go 7-2 in sealed with pseudo-Rakdos-Knights. I'm glad the one draft I was finally able to go the full distance was the one with the biggest investment. I don't think I'll buy in again for Eldraine, I'll stick to ranked draft and save at least 2000 gems for the next set's sealed (or maybe buy the mastery pass outright, depending on how I do in the meantime).

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So Bryan Gotliebs Dance of the manse/doom foretold deck is insane. Played it in the "play any deck event" and it wrecks everything I have faced. Sadly lack rare wildcards for the lands

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Bryan Gotliebs Dance of the manse/doom foretold deck is insane. Played it in the "play any deck event" and it wrecks everything I have faced. Sadly lack rare wildcards for the lands
Magic deck naming conventions have gotten terrible since back in the day. "Magic's invented name for some color combo + speed descriptor" usually, and sometimes instead it's "old deck style that kinda sort fits".

Esper Stax. Yawn.

What I'm saying is, Bryan Gottlieb not calling his deck Be Our Guest is a travesty.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh jesus christ I can already tell that people who take 30 seconds between moves because they're not paying attention and realizing the game is constantly prompting them to sac a food is going to literally kill me

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else noticed that the skill of opponents tends to vary by time of day? I play a lot in the morning and feel like I do way better than my skill level should indicate. My buddy (who is of similar skill level) plays mostly in the evening and does much worse than I do.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Magic deck naming conventions have gotten terrible since back in the day. "Magic's invented name for some color combo + speed descriptor" usually, and sometimes instead it's "old deck style that kinda sort fits".

Esper Stax. Yawn.

What I'm saying is, Bryan Gottlieb not calling his deck Be Our Guest is a travesty.
It's called Stax because the original version of the deck used the card Smokestack
Image.ashx