• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So many decks with wilderness reclamation. Ugh... I had a feeling that would happen when you have a set with shit mana.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think Wilderness Reclamation does anything to help mana variety, unless you're exclusively using it to cast instants on the end step (like Temur Explosion). Mana dorks like Paradise Druid and (to a lesser extent) Gilded Goose are far better for solving multicolour mana problems than a 4 mana enchantment.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Wilderness Reclamation does anything to help mana variety, unless you're exclusively using it to cast instants on the end step (like Temur Explosion). Mana dorks like Paradise Druid and (to a lesser extent) Gilded Goose are far better for solving multicolour mana problems than a 4 mana enchantment.

Having the ability to cast bombs and still have mana for counters on your opponents turn is insanely strong right now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man those drafts. First I win every game, and then on my second draft I meet mill decks with 6 of these merfolk that can mill for 4 and another mono red deck that completely stomped me. Weird.

Now I got a B/G food draft with a Gilded Goose, Wicked Wolf, Murderous Rider and Blacklance Paragon lol. Some sweet removal, too. Should go relatively far.

Edit: Went the full 7 wins, B/G is just too good lol.

Last edited:

Just Progress

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty aggravating but this game will not launch for me. I click the launcher, I can tell my PC is thinking, and then nothing happens...anyone had this problem?

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Pretty aggravating but this game will not launch for me. I click the launcher, I can tell my PC is thinking, and then nothing happens...anyone had this problem?
This happens to me whenever the game needs to update, whether big or small. It launches, updates, then closes. I just reopen the game and it all works fine after that.

Stuck in Platinum Tier 2 hell with a Red Fell Red deck. At least the games are short... anybody else notice that the mornings--6-7am--seem to be the best time to climb the ladder?

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Quick question guys, if I buy the Mastery Pass, and say that now I'm level 20, do I get all the previous rewards of the pass or the only ones moving forward?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man a "wow such luck" emote would be so nice. Just lost a BO3 traditional draft match to the most umost utter cunt I have met since leaving Hearthstone. Not only did the idiot rope everytime a card went against him, he ended winning with the most disgusting combo of topdicks and foot / witch only to end the game with an Oops emote. And then the second match I ended up mana screwed despite keeping 3 mana in hand and having a 18 land deck. Man I wish limited in Arena wasnt so silly.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
watched Rorie at Giantbomb stream MTG:A yesterday and got me to try it. I dabbled in MTG back in college, we printed our own cards and only played with roommates but enjoyed it.

Any easy decks for beginners? I kinda threw together a vampire deck with a revenge of ravens I got out of a pack. Seemed alright until i ran into some decks with a ton of artifacts I couldnt get rid of.

Are there any black cards for removing artifacts and enchantments?

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Mono black doesn't have access to artifact/enchantment removal. That's more of a green and white thing. There are multicolored cards like casualties of war, statue, Angraths rampage, and mortify, but I wouldn't recommend splashing just for niche removal. Unless the artifacts are also creatures, your best bet is to just try and kill the player.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
watched Rorie at Giantbomb stream MTG:A yesterday and got me to try it. I dabbled in MTG back in college, we printed our own cards and only played with roommates but enjoyed it.

Any easy decks for beginners? I kinda threw together a vampire deck with a revenge of ravens I got out of a pack. Seemed alright until i ran into some decks with a ton of artifacts I couldnt get rid of.

Monoblack does sound like a pretty good place to start. Knights or just general aggro would probably work better than vampires atm. Of course it depends on what you have.

Can't think of black artifact removal off the top of my head. What artifacts are causing trouble? Generally artifact or enchantment reliant decks tend to be a bit slower and black should be able to just rush them down.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The only way for black to remove artifacts/enchantments is through discard effects, before they even hit the board. Otherwise you'll have to learn to work around them. It's the price black pays in exchange for the best creature/planeswalker removal.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing over the weekend (first time playing Magic in nearly 20 years) and have also been playing the starter black deck. I've been extremely successful with just rushing and being aggressive with Murder and Sorin's Thirst. By the time they get up to something dangerous, I've usually got a pretty big health advantage thanks to Lifelink.

I know it won't work forever, but it's really fun for now.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do it Fallout! It's a trick! Run! RUN!

946111.jpg

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just went from 1-2 to 7-2 in ranked draft. I had basically given up on it. I had Rakdos knight deck.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm currently 4-0 in ranked draft with some boring Orzhov deck with basically no removal and only 1 rare (Oathsworn Knight). I know I shouldn't complain, but I'm slightly resentful that one of the dullest decks I've ever drafted is my best ranked draft performance.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a crash bug when you go to sideboard or are people rage quitting after losing game 1? Just happened in back to back games

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good resource for decks? I've been loving using the starter blue deck mixing a few things from boosters over the last week but I know I am eventually going to get wrecked. I have no idea how to build a good deck.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good resource for decks? I've been loving using the starter blue deck mixing a few things from boosters over the last week but I know I am eventually going to get wrecked. I have no idea how to build a good deck.

I'd stay clear of Field of the Dead just for now, speculation suggests it might be getting banned on the 25th so hold off on spending your wildcards on it until then.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Man those drafts. First I win every game, and then on my second draft I meet mill decks with 6 of these merfolk that can mill for 4 and another mono red deck that completely stomped me. Weird.

Now I got a B/G food draft with a Gilded Goose, Wicked Wolf, Murderous Rider and Blacklance Paragon lol. Some sweet removal, too. Should go relatively far.

Edit: Went the full 7 wins, B/G is just too good lol.
At least you don't meet a player with a lucky clover out turn 2, then manage to deck me with just 3 merfolks.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least you don't meet a player with a lucky clover out turn 2, then manage to deck me with just 3 merfolks.
Lol sounds like a fun time. And man... I had another decent B/G food deck. 17 lands. Got completely manascrewed two times, and then proceeded to get flooded. That was money well spent I guess.. :/

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
  • In short, they're working on performance improvements and some issues should be hashed out in the near future while others will take time.
  • Brawl will have a week long event where you can play to your heart's content for gold or gems and earn some of the Brawl cards and their styles as you win more.
  • Brawl will only be permanent in Direct Challenge and on Wednesdays for 24 hours.
  • Friends list is delayed due to the previously mentioned focus on performance and squashing bugs.
  • New events that will award the Eldraine showcase card frames as MTGA card styles.
  • Daily XP is back at 25 XP per win up to 10 wins.
Huh, as always, 2 steps forward, 1 step back IMO.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they knew to immediately confirm that Daily Win XP is in addition to Weekly win XP. 250 xp for 10 wins isn't much, but it's nice there an extra option to grind out your mastery levels.

Brawl being Wednesday only makes me sad. They are super scared about fragmenting the queues, but it's just gonna make it harder for the format to get going.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have no idea why my Rakdos Rogues deck is always put up against the weirdest jank. Maybe the 4 x Goblin Smuggler knocks it down a few pegs in the matchmaking algorithm because the rest of the deck is cards typically found in far more competitive decks (besides maybe Robber of the Rich).

It's nice though. Very refreshing.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Red Fell Red deck is e.

Also, I have an extra Arena code from the ELD prerelease kit. It's one-time use, so if you already used it on your account, save it for someone else.

DZ7-XPmn-a2u
(code is case sensitive)

I snagged this one - thanks! Forgot these even existed.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Bad mana probably sums up my current meta feelings well. The checklands were a big loss for me, or maybe it's just exposing my bad mulligan decisions :)

Hopefully whatever gets announced tomorrow will give the mardu colors some breathing room and we can see all those knights get put to use.

Anyone doing some gambling for bans and wildcard refunds? I could only risk crafting up to a full set of field, but I figure it's the safest bet.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone doing some gambling for bans and wildcard refunds? I could only risk crafting up to a full set of field, but I figure it's the safest bet.

How does this work, out of interest? I would have thought you just get back the wildcards you spent on them, so there's no net gain, or does it work differently?

Mottschi

Oct 28, 2017
Versailles, France
How does this work, out of interest? I would have thought you just get back the wildcards you spent on them, so there's no net gain, or does it work differently?

You get to keep the card though, so you basically get the cards for free. And they may remain playable in some formats, or be unbanned again at a later time when they wouldn't be a problem due to answers printed in upcoming sets/different meta.

I don't think the bans will go live in the Arena client the moment they are announced though, so no gambling should be required for that, just wait for the announcement.

On a related note, did they mention anything about whether the gems spent on alternate card styles will also be refunded when that card is banned?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017

There is no net gain in wildcards, but you do get those cards in your collection. So you can play them in other formats / with friends, so you do get extra cards.

If they don't ban, you are out wildcards that could be used to craft some other decks. But any cards up for bannings are usually pretty high on a power level perspective, so you might be crafting them anyway.

I'm not sure how they will handle opening them in packs (the only banned card so far was Nexus of Fate which could only be crafted, and I didn't jump in at that time, huge regret since it looked interesting to take for a spin).

I personally crafted 2x Field of the Dead (so I now have 3), 1x Oko (2 now), 1x Krasis (2 now), which I think is a happy medium between use of wildcards, not getting a 5th copy in draft (still missing lots of cards across all sets, I have about 40% set completion with about 40 packs each for standard, so still have a way to go before opening packs), playing with powerful cards ,and getting lucky with a potential ban.

Also the fun part about playing weird decks is that you can laugh at people whiffing with Unmoored Ego. Yes I'm ramping, and i have field of the dead, but I'm playing 0 Golos since I aim to kill with Electrodominance/Invade the city/Crackling Drake/Fling, which is a fun deck even if it doesn't go off too often. Basically standard ramp shell with Growth Spiral/Circuitous Route (which are instants/sorceries) cast Bond of Insight to mill a little more and get back used spells. Electrodominance lets you cast sweepers at instant speed or give drake/zombie haste by casting on their end step, or just burn something important/their face.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Shame ELD block is ending and that the reward was so poor, I have never been this dominant in an event or format, BG adventures trashes everything, yes even Oko decks, knights and BG food decks and won most of the mirrors.

Any idea when does Brawl or Historic start?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any idea when does Brawl or Historic start?

Historic has been here since Eldraine, it's just not advertised. You just queue up in unranked with a deck containing cards from rotated sets and it puts you in Historic automatically. Pretty naff tbh.

Brawl is coming with the update on the 24th October. They'll have a one week long event (entry fee 1000 gold or 200 gems) where you can win Brawl-deck cards and their styles. After that, Brawl will be available in an free event every Wednesday lasting 24 hours. That starts 6th November, and you can get quest progress and daily/weekly wins but no additional rewards.