• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whalenapp81

Oct 29, 2017
found some nice newbie resources. Wish I saw these last week

mtgazone.com

MTG Arena Budget Standard Decks for Beginners - March 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best budget decks for Standard, with cheap common and uncommon cards only. Each deck comes complete with its own upgrade guide.

This YT channel is pretty neat, takes the free starter decks and shows how to upgrade them

LegendVD has a good channel that helped me a lot when i was getting into Arena. He also does really good drafting videos as well, with lots of good info.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
LegendVD has a good channel that helped me a lot when i was getting into Arena. He also does really good drafting videos as well, with lots of good info.
yeah I saw he has drafting tips. Wish I watched that before I did my first draft lol. God it went terribly, was surprised I got 1 win lol

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Friendly reminder to craft Field of the Dead before the update on 24th Oct

Refund Announcement

You get 1 Rare Wildcard per FotD you have before the patch, so you won't lose anything, and you can use them in Historic (if it ever takes off), Brawl, and other non-Standard Formats. Also, if you crack M20 Packs, FotD will be the last 4 cards for dupe protection. And you'll get 20 gems in draft if you draft it assuming you have the set

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Apparently everyone loves playing Brawl decks with nothing but counters. Even less fun to play against than Oko decks.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Planeswalkers as commanders is actually the stupidest shit in the world.
Apparently everyone loves playing Brawl decks with nothing but counters. Even less fun to play against than Oko decks.
Everything I run into is some trash simic shit, half the time with oko as the commander.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm enjoying Brawl but yeah, there's a lot of decks that are super linear in their playstyles. Managed to not see a single Oko deck, though.

I've got four decks so far: Five Color Knights (Kenrith), Boros Mentor (Aurelia), Grixis Zombies (Bolas), and Monoblack Sacrifice (Liliana). Pretty fun. I'll definitely be playing some games on Wednesdays.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I'm surprised people even bother playing Brawl considering it's only available on one day a week.
It's so fucking weird on multiple levels.
First, you're not gonna get people to play more Elk Standard just because Brawl isn't available.
Second, if there somehow ended up being a low number of players playing on Brawl queue, can you really not play a bit fast and loose with MMR restrections in matchmaking in fucking free Brawl queue?
Third, even if the developers somehow were right on the previous two angles, why the hell is there not a single weekend day when the queue will be available? It's kinda hilarious to me because in my specific case, Wednesday is a booster draft day at my LGS

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Brawl, but it's really annoying (and stupid as shit) that it's only available once a week. I've been playing 5C Bolas "oops all removal spells" and enjoying it while almost certainly pissing plenty of folks off.

What I really like about Brawl is that it's the perfect Constructed format for someone who likes to draft mostly. You just need one of each card. Easy peasy.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Brawl is a version of commander. The main differences are Standard cards only, you can choose a legendary creature or Planeswalker for your commander, and you start at 25 health. Otherwise it's the same (I think).
there is this format in there called "Friendly Brawl" that lets you use cards that rotated out. I wonder if it will be avcailable only on one day as well?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe, I just surrendered and look for another game, since you don't loose anything. Also since he is so cheap and blue green can ramp easily, he just comes back every time. Aggro also seems bad against him, because of all the food.

The thing that might work is playing superfriends, since he can't really interact with planeswalkers.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ok, I apparently suck at Brawl. What's a good deck archetype to deal with ramp? It makes up about 70% of my matchups (with 20% Oko and 10% other) and aggro really isn't cutting the mustard.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I apparently suck at Brawl. What's a good deck archetype to deal with ramp? It makes up about 70% of my matchups (with 20% Oko and 10% other) and aggro really isn't cutting the mustard.
Aside from the 2 losses I had to oko decks, I went 5-0 against other ones with my Teysa aristocrats deck I pulled completely out of my ass. Literally just searched 'sacrifice' 'dies' and 'afterlife' and that was like 75% of the deck with near 0 thought.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Aside from the 2 losses I had to oko decks, I went 5-0 against other ones with my Teysa aristocrats deck I pulled completely out of my ass. Literally just searched 'sacrifice' 'dies' and 'afterlife' and that was like 75% of the deck with near 0 thought.

Maybe Orzhov aristocrats is the way to go, cheers for the suggestion.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I had the most success with a Kiora deck, one game I got my lotus field out and was swinging for 20 trample on turn 5 thanks to Rhonas buffing one of the hydras. Also tried a Grimgully deck, it was ok.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, try as I might I just can't get the same level of consistency as others. There's clearly a knack to Brawl deck building that I'm not quite getting yet. Like, the tracker is telling me I've played 19 matches today and won only 1. Going first only 4 times also hasn't helped.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Brawl would be more fun than it actually turned out to be, especially as a junk player/brewer but in the end it turned out to be kinda ... boring?
It needs more sets and cards than we actually have right now.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Brawl would be more fun than it actually turned out to be, especially as a junk player/brewer but in the end it turned out to be kinda ... boring?
It needs more sets and cards than we actually have right now.
I think without the ability to have casual multiplayer it really harms the format as well. It worked with the precons because they're all close enough quality and 'fun' decks. In real life imagine if you had no capability to play Commander except in a one on one disconnected matchmade experience? It would be terrible. The power level disparity between the top tier decks and everything else mean you can't be nearly as creative as you'd like, where in real life you can just not play competitive EDH with your friends, and instead play with like mid/upper tier decks and have a good time.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I don't play Selesnya much. I trusted the autotapper to tap two Paradise Druids to convoke a Loxodon, instead it tapped them for mana lol.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Hit Diamond today with a version of Cavalcade deck. And haven't won a match since. lol

The competition is crazy here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i used to want planeswalkers as commanders because i thought it would be fun, but brawl has taught me that actually planeswalkers as commanders makes the format not even something i want to ever play again

Oct 28, 2017
They need to get casual multiplayer in Arena like ASAP. That and Pioneer should be top priority. That'll grow Arena far more than whatever else they're doing. The fact that either of those is years away is incomprehensible. Whoever is managing this is a fool.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I hit Mythic! With a mono green henge deck - Feasting Troll King is a hell of a card, that guy puts the work in.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Been having a blast with brawl!

Crafting the Arcane Signet and the Command Tower Land is really good for colour fixing.

Decks I've tried and really liked so far

Teysa Karlov Tokens (with Divine Visitation and a bunch of afterlife. People always forget about the Vigilance and Lifelink Syr Konrad also does work here)

GW Ajani the Great Hearted Proliferate ( Get a bunch of 1/1s, put +1/+1 counters on them and let proliferate do its work. Especially fun if you drop Evolution Sage + Evolving Wilds)

Niv Mizzet Reborn Good Stuff (Casualties of War hits so many things in Brawl)

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Does golos field even work in brawl? Played a good bit of matches yesterday and didn't run into it once.
You have more health and decks are slower. Both things FOTD likes. Honestly it might be even stronger in brawl (comparatively to the format's power level) than it was in standard.

My sample size is about 10 matches though so it might not be as strong or common as it felt.

Oct 28, 2017
You have more health and decks are slower. Both things FOTD likes. Honestly it might be even stronger in brawl (comparatively to the format's power level) than it was in standard.

My sample size is about 10 matches though so it might not be as strong or common as it felt.

I don't think so. The ramp is worse and you can't have multiple copies. Field is still good and probably worth running in any 2 color deck, but it's far from broken.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Been having a blast with brawl!

Crafting the Arcane Signet and the Command Tower Land is really good for colour fixing.

Decks I've tried and really liked so far

Teysa Karlov Tokens (with Divine Visitation and a bunch of afterlife. People always forget about the Vigilance and Lifelink Syr Konrad also does work here)

GW Ajani the Great Hearted Proliferate ( Get a bunch of 1/1s, put +1/+1 counters on them and let proliferate do its work. Especially fun if you drop Evolution Sage + Evolving Wilds)

Niv Mizzet Reborn Good Stuff (Casualties of War hits so many things in Brawl)

could you PM me the Teysa and Ajani lists? Seem awesome.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Doing a bit better in Brawl with Emry Artifacts, though it does rely on my opponent playing a slow-ish deck.

Edit: Ok it's actually working really well. Emry can be recast for dirt cheap as long as you've got some artifacts in play, and removing the artifacts is never a permanent solution because Emry can just fish them back out again (as long as they're not exiled). Manifold Key is doing work too, untapping stuff like Steel Overseer every turn for peanuts.

Last edited:

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I have been away from the game for a bit, I logged on tonight and noticed the mastery pass! sweet. I purchased it.

then I saw the season ends in 2 days. How effed am I ?

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally back in town after being out of country. I swear they schedule these brawl events around my travel to make it most inconvenient for me. If brawl comes out to be full time you'll know it's because I got shipped off to a remote island with no internet.

Did my first five brawls with some Tajic boros action and had a decent amount of fun. Haven't run into Oko yet, but I plan to jam out as many games as I can tomorrow and until the event ends.

Speaking of Oko - this has been making the rounds lately. Brawl deck w/ Grazer, Goose, Oko, 27 island, 30 forests. Doesn't matter if you have to mull to 3 if you can oko on turn 2! (vid is in italian)

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just started playing Saheeli in Brawl and I am 2:0 vs Oko right now. And the best thing, I don't even feel bad about bming them.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
could you PM me the Teysa and Ajani lists? Seem awesome.

Here are the lists. Still not fully tuned, and there's a bunch of cards that should be in but aren't cos I didn't want to spend the wild cards (Shrine, Fabled Passage etc) so feel free to swap out cards. I also greeded for Field of the Dead since I didn't feel it was a big loss to toss utility lands into a 2 color deck.

Commander
1 Teysa Karlov (RNA) 212

Deck
1 Gods Willing (M20) 19
6 Swamp (ANA) 63
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Divine Visitation (GRN) 10
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
6 Plains (ANA) 61
1 Ministrant of Obligation (RNA) 16
1 Spark Harvest (WAR) 105
1 Dreadhorde Invasion (WAR) 86
1 Eternal Taskmaster (WAR) 90
1 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
1 Murder (M20) 109
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
1 Blood for Bones (M20) 89
1 Vindictive Vampire (RNA) 90
1 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
1 God-Eternal Bontu (WAR) 92
1 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Gravewaker (M20) 323
1 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Imperious Oligarch (RNA) 184
1 Pitiless Pontiff (RNA) 194
1 Mortify (RNA) 192
1 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Orzhov Guildgate (RNA) 252
1 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Witch's Cottage (ELD) 249
1 Idyllic Grange (ELD) 246
1 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 Aid the Fallen (WAR) 76
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Cryptic Caves (M20) 244
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
1 Field of the Dead (M20) 247
1 Gateway Plaza (RNA) 247
1 Glass of the Guildpact (RNA) 233
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331

Commander
1 Ajani, the Greathearted (WAR) 184

Deck
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
6 Forest (ANA) 65
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Idyllic Grange (ELD) 246
1 Grateful Apparition (WAR) 17
1 Martyr for the Cause (WAR) 23
1 Wanderer's Strike (WAR) 38
1 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
5 Plains (ANA) 61
1 Courage in Crisis (WAR) 158
1 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
1 Bloom Hulk (WAR) 154
1 Huatli's Raptor (WAR) 200
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Karn's Bastion (WAR) 248
1 Mace of the Valiant (ELD) 314
1 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
1 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
1 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
1 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter (WAR) 164
1 Kronch Wrangler (WAR) 166
1 Mowu, Loyal Companion (WAR) 167
1 Outmuscle (ELD) 170
1 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
1 Biogenic Ooze (RNA) 122
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Guardian Project (RNA) 130
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
1 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
1 The Wanderer (WAR) 37
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 255
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Cryptic Caves (M20) 244
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
1 Field of the Dead (M20) 247
1 Gateway Plaza (WAR) 246
1 Gingerbread Cabin (ELD) 245
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the lists. Still not fully tuned, and there's a bunch of cards that should be in but aren't cos I didn't want to spend the wild cards (Shrine, Fabled Passage etc) so feel free to swap out cards. I also greeded for Field of the Dead since I didn't feel it was a big loss to toss utility lands into a 2 color deck.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.