• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
is war of spark draft worth doing or should i be sticking with throne?

I also caved and spent $15 for the 2 promos they got going, not sure if i should buy the mastery pass or not

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Depends how much trouble mill is giving you in Eldraine draft. War of the Spark doesn't seem to be a popular draft set, apparently down to the heavy planeswalker focus (some of which are massive bombs) and the God-Eternals which have little to no answers. I'm doing it mostly for variety since Eldraine mill is doing my head in.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018

I just watched this video from the Professor and now I'm a bit concerned too.

I knew that Arena would focus more heavily on Standard and that Brawl would only be playable once a week,
but I didn't know that once Historic went live, we would be able to queue for it only once a month?!

Pioneer has been a breath of fresh air for Magic Online and it is also gaining traction on paper.
It would be great if WotC also supported a non-rotating format on Arena, adding sets here and there to one day make way to Pioneer.

My fear is that if they keep pushing only Standard on Arena and if it loses the players' interest, it would turn into another Magic Duels and WotC will flat out drop support for Arena altogether.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you play with historic decks in the normal queues all the time? It is shit and they need to change it, but what he's saying is factually incorrect as far as I know.

I also think Pioneer should be a long term goal for Arena and was never going to be realistically obtainable in the short to medium term, and already starting with the "arena needs pioneer" videos just comes across as whiny from content creators who have to put a video out every week. Dropping that many sets responsibly would take a couple of years in itself.

It should absolutely have a roadmap though, and WotC really need to better integrate the side team responsible for the Arena client into the teams responsible for MTG the game. At the moment Arena is missing clear leadership, extremely reactionary and feels outsourced at best.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pioneer seems like it HAS to be added to Arena, like. For them not to add it is one of the stupidest decisions I can imagine. I get maybe not committing on a timeframe to add the cards, but historic is a trashcan and pioneer makes it trivial to keep a successful long term format for useless old cards on arena. It gives people confidence in their purchases.

It's actually got me looking at MTGO and I haven't touched that account since like shadows over innistrad.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Adding Pioneer to arena would take years. Historic might evolve into Pioneer at some point, but I doubt it.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Can't you play with historic decks in the normal queues all the time? It is shit and they need to change it, but what he's saying is factually incorrect as far as I know.

I also think Pioneer should be a long term goal for Arena and was never going to be realistically obtainable in the short to medium term, and already starting with the "arena needs pioneer" videos just comes across as whiny from content creators who have to put a video out every week. Dropping that many sets responsibly would take a couple of years in itself.

It should absolutely have a roadmap though, and WotC really need to better integrate the side team responsible for the Arena client into the teams responsible for MTG the game. At the moment Arena is missing clear leadership, extremely reactionary and feels outsourced at best.

Yeah, he should have been more clear in his video. What he is talking about is Historic events, those will be held once a month.
In the meantime, you can play best of one Historic matches, but the games offers no incentives to do so, it doesn't even count to your daily rewards, and there are few people playing, so you can get paired with the same opponent several times in a row.

And everyone that I saw speaking on the topic, including the professor, is not demanding Pioneer immediatly on Arena, they know that it will cost a lot of time and resources to program all these old sets into Arena, but they should at least commit to it, even if it takes several years, and in the meantime, support Historic, with best of three queues, ranked and events, things that MTGO is already doing with Pioneer.

And speaking of MTGO, when it first lauched, it didn't have all the sets. They added them in bit by bit, took some time but eventually they did it.
So I think it's not unreasonable for them to do the same for Pioneer.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You just cannot reveal your Arena non-rotating format which everyone was waiting for as it has long been promised by Wotc and then do it like they did (basically doing as much as possible to discourage people from playing it) and then shortly after present a new non-rotating format for paper nobody asked for and push it this much without any path for it ever coming to Arena.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

No problem. Let me know how it goes =) Always looking for feedback.

I also caved and spent $15 for the 2 promos they got going, not sure if i should buy the mastery pass or not

Personally I like War Draft a lot (mainly cos I seem to do well in it for some reason). You really have to strike a balance in your curve to do well, since there are lot of good non-creatures. Its also a good chance to play with planeswalkers cos they kind be hard to find in constructed (since most are mythics). Throne will be around standard for an additional year though.

Also, I find War to have playable cards in most colours (Nissa, Nicol Bolas, Teferi, the God-Eternals) and even in the lower rarities (Prison Realm, Despark, etc) while Throne's power seems mostly concentrated in Green and Black.

If you are unsure of mastery pass, don't buy it yet. Just keep playing and see how high a level you are at when it ends, since the rewards are retro-active.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how much trouble mill is giving you in Eldraine draft. War of the Spark doesn't seem to be a popular draft set, apparently down to the heavy planeswalker focus (some of which are massive bombs) and the God-Eternals which have little to no answers. I'm doing it mostly for variety since Eldraine mill is doing my head in.

No problem. Let me know how it goes =) Always looking for feedback.

Personally I like War Draft a lot (mainly cos I seem to do well in it for some reason). You really have to strike a balance in your curve to do well, since there are lot of good non-creatures. Its also a good chance to play with planeswalkers cos they kind be hard to find in constructed (since most are mythics). Throne will be around standard for an additional year though.

Also, I find War to have playable cards in most colours (Nissa, Nicol Bolas, Teferi, the God-Eternals) and even in the lower rarities (Prison Realm, Despark, etc) while Throne's power seems mostly concentrated in Green and Black.

If you are unsure of mastery pass, don't buy it yet. Just keep playing and see how high a level you are at when it ends, since the rewards are retro-active.
Thanks, I might give it a shot next time i have the coins

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
You just cannot reveal your Arena non-rotating format which everyone was waiting for as it has long been promised by Wotc and then do it like they did (basically doing as much as possible to discourage people from playing it) and then shortly after present a new non-rotating format for paper nobody asked for and push it this much without any path for it ever coming to Arena.
I'd argue against your idea of "nobody wanted pioneer", but it very much seems that Historic only exists because they don't want to offer a dusting-like system, and without that, all the old cards would be completely useless, where as Pioneer seems like it was legitimately designed over a period of time before they unveiled it. They clearly could have made a decision with Pioneer to only go as far back as Kaladesh (the oldest publicly available cards in the beta) and come up with a plan to get those cards into Arena players collections, but they instead went with a point that basically makes back-filling on arena almost impossible- how are you going to convince people to spend money on 16 sets worth of cards in the current system they have set up?
I think that taking the Brawl concept of taking EDH and making changes to how it works is probably the best path forward for dealing with sets as they rotate out of standard- maybe it's 100 card decks but without the singleton restriction? Maybe it's a 75 card deck?- but as constructed right now, Historic has no future.

Feb 16, 2018

historic looked like trash once they announced what it was. if it was just a format starting from kaladesh (or ixalan), it'd be fine. but they didn't care about having a format. they just wanted a way to get people to spend more wildcards. 2:1 crafting ratio wasn't even enough for them. they also wanted to invalidate the power level of your owned cards by introducing new ones

modern 2.0 was the format everyone was asking for

nobody was married to the RTR cutoff, but we basically wanted a modern with newer cards and no fetches. and we got that with pioneer

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I personally just shelved Arena for now after all that historic stuff.

With the business model they chose, a proper support of a "legacy" format was pretty important to me and as usually, every decision by Wizards was just rubbish.

At this rate it may take a couple years before Arena deserves another go.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Had a great time in brawl tonight. Thought I was just gonna clear out a quest and log for the night but nope, the time just flew by playing selesnya tokens. Even managed to pull off divine visitation shenanigans twice. My only regret was not being able to give the dude running 5color Niv a proper fight since I mana screwed hard. I'm gonna be super bummed when they disable this queue.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how stupid mill still is in Arena draft. Like. it's REALLY fun to play when you get a solid deck (Where you play legitimate control, not when you RNG into 4+ secretkeepers), but holy fuck it makes people so mad, how can it be a thing still. I just 7-1'd my current run and the last two games both conceded on turn 4 and 6 respectively just because of how oppressive it feels.

Oct 25, 2017
Turbo mill as a strategy is fine as a draft archetype, because (like aggro) you either win or lose quickly.

Control as a strategy is often fine as a draft archetype, because most draft control decks are just slow(er) midrange decks.

Control Mill in Eldraine is fucking miserable because the win-con is just to get a larger deck and win by inevitability. It's miserable because it takes fucking forever for the control player to win.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
saw the ad about if you buy the planeswalker decks in paper you get a code for arena and now I'm on ebay looking up codes...are any of these worth $2-4 lol?

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how stupid mill still is in Arena draft. Like. it's REALLY fun to play when you get a solid deck (Where you play legitimate control, not when you RNG into 4+ secretkeepers), but holy fuck it makes people so mad, how can it be a thing still. I just 7-1'd my current run and the last two games both conceded on turn 4 and 6 respectively just because of how oppressive it feels.
In BO1 it's a nightmare.

In BO3 the answer in games 2 and 3 is to increase your deck size to about 55-60 cards, boarding in everything relevant in your colors and proportional extra lands.

Works every time.

It's also really really stupid and this format is stupid.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
i've had an alright time against oko decks playing reclamation; being able to maindeck mystical dispute and actually be able to cast it for full price without holding up 3 mana ruining your gameplan works
the downside is that you want shock against all the aggro decks but it's terrible against oko, and the odd deck that still plays teferi is hard

robox

Nov 10, 2017
TIL that you don't get any rewards playing historic. This is definitely a format sent out to die.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I don't like the way they are handling the new events. The formats are fun, but the steep entry fee + only cosmetics for rewards are a real turn-off.

Consider Planecation (the last series of events) Free to enter, Cosmetics rewards + 1K XP, or the events that rewarded the Stained Glass planeswalkers.
Fae Festival takes 2.5K gold for 5 cosmetics. The fancy art is nice, but its also half a draft of gold, and I don't have the cards for the cosmetics anyway. I think for the amount they are asking, they should also give 1 copy of each card, just like the Brawl Event.

MTGA has been fairly generous to F2P players, but all the latest moves seem to indicate that they think its currently too generous and want to drain gold from players and monetize the game more.

In the meantime, gotta apologize to my opponent in the Happily Ever After Event. Nissa -> Giant Krasis -> Kiora + Bioessence Hydra for a 18/18 Hydra. I then dropped not 1 but 2 Evolution Sages, played a land to proliferate 8 things at once, then ultimated Nissa for like 8 more lands to get a 60+/60+ hydra

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I personally just shelved Arena for now after all that historic stuff.

With the business model they chose, a proper support of a "legacy" format was pretty important to me and as usually, every decision by Wizards was just rubbish.

At this rate it may take a couple years before Arena deserves another go.

Yeah same here. Having brawl only on wednesdays hurt it alot for me. At the same time Riot are completely changing the landscape of monetization in card games with their upcomming game and Wotc really need to step up there game if they dont want Arena bleed players.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Arena team was told about Pioneer lol

It would explain like,everything about all the crazy announcements-then-nothing-happens stuff.

One big important thing about Pioneer no one seems to have caught- Modern involved pre-Mythic Rarity sets. Pioneer does not. And that allows Pioneer to be way easier to put into MTGA long term because it doesn't screw with the monetization.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't think the Arena team was told about Pioneer lol

It would explain like,everything about all the crazy announcements-then-nothing-happens stuff.

One big important thing about Pioneer no one seems to have caught- Modern involved pre-Mythic Rarity sets. Pioneer does not. And that allows Pioneer to be way easier to put into MTGA long term because it doesn't screw with the monetization.
Apparently Pioneer was primarily aimed at MTGO and they didn't think it would take off in paper, which seems bizarre to me.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so my wife started playing "normal" MTG last week. we bought two 2020 decks, 2 throne of eldraine decks, the starter set.

I used the codes and now I'm also playing MTG:A? I've to say this is awesome, that they provide codes!

Any tips for a beginner in Magic?

Oh and for the OP: PLAYELDRAINE gives you 3 packs

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017

There's a Youtuber called LegenVD that puts up videos on how to cheaply upgrade the starter decks you get in MTG:A.

The tips in the loading screens are actually pretty good:
  • Maximizing mana efficiency often leads to good plays (i.e. try and use all your mana each turn)
  • Your life is a resource, don't be afraid to lose life to gain advantage. There's no score at the end of the game, only win/loss.
Finally, with regards to Arena specifically:
  • If you're trying to maximize your rewards, using your gold to draft is the way to go.
  • The "Play" queue will try and match your deck with others playing decks of similar strength, while ranked does not do deck-based matchmaking
  • The "Mastery Pass" is very good value if you play enough to reach around level 50 in a season.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
so my wife started playing "normal" MTG last week. we bought two 2020 decks, 2 throne of eldraine decks, the starter set.

I used the codes and now I'm also playing MTG:A? I've to say this is awesome, that they provide codes!

Oh and for the OP: PLAYELDRAINE gives you 3 packs
LegendVD has great videos for beginners (i just started last month). Also found that if you're playing MTGA and don't mind spending a little you can ebay those deck codes as well as booster box codes for $2-5 which is a decent way to get packs. Also make sure you plug in all the free pack codes floating around.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
VD just seems like an all-around good dude too. Very low-key, doesn't shout or yell, good sportsmanship as well.
I've never thought about contributing to someone's Patreon more than I do for his content.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Azorius Flyers is just a straight up bully in Artisan Event, got my five quick. Welp, now I wait until Brawl Queue opens back up ( ._.)

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017

11016840-56b6-4759-bde6-3dc0e339e87e.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I actually only ran into a couple times during the event but it was completely unbeatable both times (admittedly I was playing Vannifar which is especially weak to Oko but still). Thank goodness.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Azorius Flyers is just a straight up bully in Artisan Event, got my five quick. Welp, now I wait until Brawl Queue opens back up ( ._.)
Yeah I also build UW fliers and went 5-1. Only had to remove one Sephora from my Standard list!
I've been using a Rakdos aggro deck of my own creation that does pretty well, beat a couple of UW fliers along the way. Its janky, but Footlight fiend + bladebrand to kill 2 creatures is often a blowout in terms of tempo.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This is why EDH matchmaking doesn't work. It's a shit format when people are trying to win properly.
I wish there was an option to pick from one to three Commanders you prefer not to play against and the matchmaker would try it's best to prevent you from seeing that Commmander, at the penalty that you yourself cannot play it as well as long as the box is checked.

Oct 25, 2017
Somethings fucky with Arena this morning. I just can't get a solid connection to their server despite my internet being rock solid to everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Second week not even bothering to get 15 wins. The game lost all the momentum with the mishandling of historical, fairytale set and lack of updates.

Oct 25, 2017
I know Omniscience draft is a deliberately stupid format but it still is a huge feelbad when your opponents have T1 Villis on the play three games in a row and kill your run.

I'm only slightly exaggerating. I did have to face it thrice in a row but it was only T1 twice. It's completely unbeatable in that format.

Last edited: