• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing MTG Arena now that it popped up on the Epic Game Store. I hadn't played MTG in nearly 2 decades and am having fun so far playing the game (the rules come back pretty easily; like riding a bike). Are there any real tips for somebody new to Arena on what I should spend my coins on? There are so many different types of booster packs and I'm not sure if it's smarter to go for one pack over an another. Should I get packs from Theros, or stick with the core 2020 set or some other one?

Is there a source of beginner information for somebody who isn't as familiar with current day MTG?

The game is definitely scratching the itch I've missed in the many years I haven't played MTG. Though I don't really want to spend real money on the game until I know that I'll end up sticking with it in the long run.

This is a solid place to start:

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
This part is really not that great unless you expect to have like 70% win rate. I have seen a lot of youtubers or reddit posts recommending drafting, but it is a sure way to slow-down the progress even if you win half of the games.

Everyone in era is a hobo and nobody is giving free prerelease codes :( I bought mine at cardmarket.eu, worked out at less than $1 per 6 boosters. Can only redeem one code per set.

Limited duplicates are salvages into gems, but the ratio is really bad. Opening boosters normally has a duplicate protection re-rolling 5ths into a different rare automatically.
What did you buy off of cardmarket to get the boosters?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know if I can stand the game with Simic ramp bullying the meta. I would just quit until they do something, but I already paid for the pass. Maybe I'll just try to get by with events and draft.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I just type "Arena code" into the search bar, and a bunch of options pop-up. You want Prerelease codes, sets indicated by icons, and you want to buy from the people who refund shipping.
Are you US based? I couldn't create an account with a US address it seems, was looking and it is definitely the best place to buy the prerelease codes I could find.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know if I can stand the game with Simic ramp bullying the meta. I would just quit until they do something, but I already paid for the pass. Maybe I'll just try to get by with events and draft.

I was honest trying to come up with ramp hate earlier this morning but there's no real hatebear that will properly disrupt all of simics ramp right now. I'm believing the best option is to go mono red and mulligan for anax/embercleave and just try and kill them through the turn 4 Nissa.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I spent 3 and a half hours being one win away from Diamond. Win one. Lose one. Win one. Lose one. For 3 and a half hours. And now i am on a losing streak and 8 wins away.

Never wanted to put my fist through my screen so much in my entire life.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
has any card had more apt artwork of how it feels when you use it?

fjC9KoJ.png

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I'm enjoying the enchantment focus with this new set. Still finding interactions and combos. Hoping to try my hand at historic and see how enchantment synergies meld. Saga tribal with proliferate? Heh, why not?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is eldraine ranked draft going away after this season and theros replacing it?

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like the casual play queue has been nothing but control decks the last two days for me. I have nothing that stands a chance against a fully decked out control deck.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I spent 3 and a half hours being one win away from Diamond. Win one. Lose one. Win one. Lose one. For 3 and a half hours. And now i am on a losing streak and 8 wins away.

Never wanted to put my fist through my screen so much in my entire life.
Ha, this was me just now, except I just stopped after I lost 2 in a row. I kind of wish I could hide that shit away. It's the difference of one pack of cards. 1000 gold. There's no reason for me to care that much.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, congrats, I've been playing since the Beta launched and never made it past Gold. But I only really mess around with like... C-tier, unoptimized tribal decks and stuff. I'm actually surprised my Satyr Aggro deck made it as far as I did!

And I'm pleasantly surprised to find that my Ashiok Mill Brawl deck was actually super effective. It was kind of cobbled together, but the slower games and 60 card decks makes it a lot more viable than either standard or EDH.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I played my first Sealed last night and did alright, 7-2. Think the Bo1 really makes this easier, but I was never able to go 4-0 in sealed in MODO. Was nice to only put in 2 hours or so for that, tather than 2 hours for 1-2 drop.

Still undecided how much I'll throw in money wise, but it is nice to scratch the Magic itch.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had my first opponent get got by Eidolon of Obstruction. They tapped out to play Nissa and then surprise, end of turn. Shame conceed shortly followed. I was honestly shocked to see someone throw like that. It felt nice seeing it payoff, but it's kind of telling that this hate card requires a pretty serious misplay to actually work the hate.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Finally had my first opponent get got by Eidolon of Obstruction. They tapped out to play Nissa and then surprise, end of turn. Shame conceed shortly followed. I was honestly shocked to see someone throw like that. It felt nice seeing it payoff, but it's kind of telling that this hate card requires a pretty serious misplay to actually work the hate.
While it's not a terribly powerful card, the strength comes from forcing you opponents to play their walkers off-curve. If it's turn 3 and your opponent has to play something else instead of jamming their Teferi, then the Eidolon has done it's job even though you have no real way of knowing it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
While it's not a terribly powerful card, the strength comes from forcing you opponents to play their walkers off-curve. If it's turn 3 and your opponent has to play something else instead of jamming their Teferi, then the Eidolon has done it's job even though you have no real way of knowing it.
yeah it''s very nice to keep nissa off curve. just a shame that simic has so many options that it doesnt do that much. And if it's off curve, nissa is the planeswalker that cares the least about that card.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh, and I was one win away from diamond.

Okay two more wins, lets do this shit.

And I did it!

wMy1kgQ.png

At the stroke of midnight Eastern Standard Time

Now I can sleep.

Last edited:

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Played an Eldraine Ranked draft and had a pretty exciting win number 7 (I'm assuming the matchmaking tries to put you up against someone that also has the same wins?). The Revenge of the Ravens was causing me some problems, especially with the size of his creatures, and he had a Food on the table.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting into Theros drafts on Arena finally. Had someone beat me with Thassa's Oracle - their deck also had a Uro that was a bitch to deal with. And the next game my opponent used Idyllic Tutor to go get a Helios - fortunately I did end up winning that game.

is there any reason to NOT force black in this format?

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017

I understand that, but I just think they managed to create a scenario where it can be played around without a significant cost. For teferi/UW especially Birth of Meletis is just a solid roadblock that allows control to block a good chunk of damage and fix mana for the turn 4 sweeper.

I will say that Elspeth is preforming better for white aggro than I expected. She's not broken, but she helps things like fliers and even the eidolon to be serious pressure. A loxodon the prior turn and even green will sweat the blocks. And escaping her to enable lethal is just a warm fuzzy feeling.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I understand that, but I just think they managed to create a scenario where it can be played around without a significant cost. For teferi/UW especially Birth of Meletis is just a solid roadblock that allows control to block a good chunk of damage and fix mana for the turn 4 sweeper.

I will say that Elspeth is preforming better for white aggro than I expected. She's not broken, but she helps things like fliers and even the eidolon to be serious pressure. A loxodon the prior turn and even green will sweat the blocks. And escaping her to enable lethal is just a warm fuzzy feeling.
It really should just prevent planeswalkers from using any of their + or - abilities. Magic needs more planeswalker hate in general.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Hell is getting stuck on three lands in a mana ramp deck after 8 draws and you got a cat diddler performing animal cruelty at a snails pace.

Oct 25, 2017
Swing for lethal > Network Error

fuuuuuck

Kill Arena, log back in, cross my fingers - phew my opponent conceded and I got the win.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Swing for lethal > Network Error

fuuuuuck

Kill Arena, log back in, cross my fingers - phew my opponent conceded and I got the win.
lol yeah. I've gotten so many disconnects since this last update that added theros. Died down mostly the weekend it launched but I still get like 1 every other day or so and it's always at a point that when I log back in I essentially gave the opponent a free turn at a pivotal moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Just won a draft by casting a Grey Merchant, suiciding then Omening the same Grey Merchant, then chump blocking with the Merchant and bringing it back with Rise to Glory, and then Flickering that same Grey Merchant. Over the course of three turns I hit him with the same Merchant four times.

This format is awesome

Edit: That deck went 7-2. Aphemia is absolutely bonkers in this format. I ran away with so many games where I got her in my opening hand.

Last edited:

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've really been enjoying this for the last couple weeks, but the speed at which people play this game is killing me. It's like these half hour turns of people playing solitaire to do cat oven sacrifices. I'm starting to lose my mind.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I know its effective but even playing cat oven is kind of tedious and annoying. So much clicking that takes too long. Guess graveyard hate is necessary now. What's giving me trouble is the Thassa/Agent of Treachery combo. Its so good and hard to deal with once it resolves. Not difficult at all to pull of and to protect with simic ramp. Just have 4x Uro 4x Thassa 4x Agent 4x Finale of Devestation in a ramp shell with some counters and you're golden. On another note Klothys is a pretty sick card. Only have 2x copies atm but it does so much. Pings/lifegain, ramp, and graveyard hate. Haven't seen people use her much. Any of you high level rank players use/see her used at all?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I know its effective but even playing cat oven is kind of tedious and annoying. So much clicking that takes too long. Guess graveyard hate is necessary now. What's giving me trouble is the Thassa/Agent of Treachery combo. Its so good and hard to deal with once it resolves. Not difficult at all to pull of and to protect with simic ramp. Just have 4x Uro 4x Thassa 4x Agent 4x Finale of Devestation in a ramp shell with some counters and you're golden. On another note Klothys is a pretty sick card. Only have 2x copies atm but it does so much. Pings/lifegain, ramp, and graveyard hate. Haven't seen people use her much. Any of you high level rank players use/see her used at all?

I've been toying with the idea of Klothys in a temur reclamation deck. Wondering if it might be good enough to create a gruul control deck even. I doubt that cause the draw is needed, but I'll keep mindcrafting it for now :p

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
What's giving me trouble is the Thassa/Agent of Treachery combo. Its so good and hard to deal with once it resolves. Not difficult at all to pull of and to protect with simic ramp. Just have 4x Uro 4x Thassa 4x Agent 4x Finale of Devestation in a ramp shell with some counters and you're golden.
The refined lists have moved away from this now, you don't need to dedicate so many slots to winning the game when you have Nissa and the finale/big pig also represents an I win button at 12 mana. If you do the maths on the numbers you've quoted you can't fit them into a 60 card deck with the normal ramp cards, and you end up with more awkward do nothing draws.

It looks powerful every couple of games on stream or to play against though, so people jumped on it at first.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Jesus, I do like this draft format but I feel like I'm just getting so unlucky. Drafted a pretty interesting sacrifice deck I thought could be fun to play....

2 mana tops the first 2 games. third game I literally only drew mana, a travelers amulet, and an underworld charger who cant fucking block. Last turn I finally get one dinky creature out with 4 life left and it's immediatly removed.

Who knows if that deck was fun to play, I'll never get to find out.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, I do like this draft format but I feel like I'm just getting so unlucky. Drafted a pretty interesting sacrifice deck I thought could be fun to play....

2 mana tops the first 2 games. third game I literally only drew mana, a travelers amulet, and an underworld charger who cant fucking block. Last turn I finally get one dinky creature out with 4 life left and it's immediatly removed.

The best I've done so far is 1-3 on about 3 drafts. I like drafting a lot (this is my first set that I've drafted), but I'm getting out-played and out-drafted by much better players than me.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I've been a bit upset with Arena excluding Historic ranked and finally decided to just jump in to Bo1 Historic event with Gruul, to test the waters. So far it's been 6-3, 7-1, 7-1, 7-0. Ez mode free gold I guess.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to activate dreadful apathy to exile a creature, then before it resolves cast flicker of fate on dreadful apathy so that it goes on another creature while the original one gets exiled? i tried it and it just exiled it immediately. would i have to go full control for it to be possible?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is it possible to activate dreadful apathy to exile a creature, then before it resolves cast flicker of fate on dreadful apathy so that it goes on another creature while the original one gets exiled? i tried it and it just exiled it immediately. would i have to go full control for it to be possible?

Sounds like something full control would be needed for. You could always try it out on the bot if you want to check.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017

100% doable. You'll need full control mode for it, as you'll need to hold priority after activating the exile ability.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like the draft I just did. One game only saw my opening 2 mana, next got nothing but mana. Last game also nothing but Mana on all my draws, even after crying two to the bottom.

Glad to see mana screw made it over :(