• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Theros ranked draft should be available until the next set. They changed in Eldraine to keep the current set available for ranked and periodically rotate in older sets as extra events.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
managed to go 7-1 in the theros draft with this deck

52fs399.png

Oct 25, 2017
Suiting up Transcendent Envoy is a surprisingly solid plan in this format even with the good removal in black. I've hit the 7-win mark with a similar deck before and gotten to 5 another time. It just puts them under so much pressure so fast.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Either I'm getting worse at this game or other people are getting better. I'm 3-15 this week so far. Just struggling to get my weekly wins, let alone climb the ladder. Good news is that I've hit the bottom of Gold, so there's only one way up.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I went from using a card-draw-punish Underworld Dreams deck into a straight black devotion deck, and it's really fun.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As someone who's been fed up with any deck with blue including agent of treachery and flashing it 12million times, haktos has beenmy best friend lately. Go ahead and steal all the shit on my board, if I resolve haktos, most likely nothing on your board touches him before he beats your face.

I know it's very random, but I'm finding a lot of control decks aren't running creatures in those cmc ranges and if they are, there's ways to get them out of the way, it puts them on the backfoot to try to resolve things on the board instead of holding up mana for counterspells.

Note: I'm not a very high rank and I love jank, so ymmv.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. That seems silly. I wanna hope this means there's some announcement to be made w/ worlds but we'll see.

We have no idea why they're stopping draft early, right? No idea what's replacing it?

It's my most played mode right now. I'm losing constantly, but I like that I'm not facing the same constructed decks over and over and it's a great way to learn all the cards in the set.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of changes in there.

So, from February 14–27, Theros Beyond Death Ranked Draft will take a two-week break before returning on February 28. It'll be available for another two weeks, and then rotate again. Two weeks on, two weeks off.

That's fine with me. Gives me time to build up enough gold again to draft a few times.

This also sounds pretty good:
We're also looking to expand the type of events we offer that don't require entry fees; bonus points if we can find some fun specialty modes that don't require deckbuilding either. Hence, Workshops. These limited-time events are intended to give players a small taste of a variety of formats, and the only thing you have to do is show up and play. In addition to no entry fees or deckbuilding required, Workshop events will also reward you for your first win in each event. These rewards will vary from Workshop to Workshop—some will reward gold, others XP, and some individual card rewards (ICRs).

Is this the first we've seen of player drafting?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if i can play ranked anymore against the 1000th red aggro deck

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's a mostly positive state of the game? It's nice when they're just announcing new coming features and there aren't too many strings attached. The full art lands being gold gated is a little lame, but I suppose being a la carte is helpful.

I'm surprised that they mentioned that draft queues were suffering and that's why they were pulling back. I wonder how much of that was eldraine's terrible early draft bots souring the community on the format.

They had mentioned pod drafting before, but honestly its just good that they keep repeating it. And I had a chuckle when they addressed the updated matchmaking options/draft exports. I still half expected them to get to worlds and realize they can't take the paper drafted decks into the client.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Are there still plans for a mobile version to come out any time soon?

It isn't ideal, but I was able to play a game on my phone today using Geforce Now.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The deck building interface is better than I remember it, but still managed to hilariously own me last night. I netdecked a white weenie deck that had a pretty expensive sideboard I wasn't planning on building. The interface kept telling me the deck wasn't complete, so I clicked the button to automatically complete it. Oops, there goes half my mythic wildcards! Not even mad, but it was kind of annoying. I also accidentally crafted one more rare than I needed, and didn't see any kind of undo button which is also annoying.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Turn 1 mountain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> turn 1 breeding pool

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Jesus man.
there is still nothing more fun than beating people with their own cards

dimir is the truth
Nah the more fun thing is still beating someone who stole half your board. It's why I love haktos, he's immune to any steal spell I can think outside of sometimes akroan war which is temporary.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Every deck I'm playing lately is just an excuse to play Shadowspear. Mono red aggro w/ Spear. Mono white All That Glitters with Spear. Golgari food with Spear. I just can't get enough.

I was severely disappointed with a RW deck I brewed up, though. Haktos can't carry a Spear.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Using a 250 card vomit deck is bullshit and should not be allowed. There is a 60 card minimum and that makes sense so there should also be a maximum that actually makes sense. People shouldn't be able to just stack a deck with 250 god cards. Its cheap and it defeats the entire purpose of the game.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Using a 250 card vomit deck is bullshit and should not be allowed. There is a 60 card minimum and that makes sense so there should also be a maximum that actually makes sense. People shouldn't be able to just stack a deck with 250 god cards. Its cheap and it defeats the entire purpose of the game.
How is it cheap and how does it defeat the purpose? They sacrifice draw consistency and card quality immensely just to avoid decking.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How is it cheap and how does it defeat the purpose? They sacrifice draw consistency and card quality immensely just to avoid decking.
It defeats the purpose of the game which is intellect and strategy. If morons just throw all of their best cards into one pile then odds are that despite the fact that they did absolutely nothing to put a proper deck together and put absolutely no thought into what they are doing they still have a solid chance of winning each match that they play simply due to the fact that they have nothing but their best cards in a pile. And that is stupid.

For example earlier tonight I played someone who had a 250 card deck and within the first 10 turns they played four different Planeswalkers. none of the Planeswalkers balanced each other out or had anything to do with any cohesive strategy. It was just some idiot throwing down whatever he had in his hand and seeing if it works. And what was worse is that it somehow worked. Despite the fact that he had obviously no strategy whatsoever behind his deck and despite the fact that he was obviously playing whatever just happened to fall into his hand he still somehow still won. That is not something that should be a thing. Players should not be allowed to just pile all of their best cards into one giant pile and then see what happens. At best all they are doing is handing a free win to wherever they go up against and at worst they are taking a game away from someone who actually took the time and effort to put together a cohesive deck. I am pretty sure the people who came up with the game never intended anyone to play this way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
250 card decks lack consistency. There's a reason decks with more than 60 or so cards rarely do well in a pro competitive environment. If they do, it's because they use their deck size as part of the strategy. Or if they just really hate mill decks.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I'm being honest I'm not worried one bit about some yahoo with a 250 card deck. Other than the fact that it's physically impossible to properly shuffle it without slow playing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah if I'm being honest I'm not worried one bit about some yahoo with a 250 card deck. Other than the fact that it's physically impossible to properly shuffle it without slow playing.
I'm not "worried" about it. I win against 150+ card decks far more often than I lose against them. I just don't think they would be a thing in the first place. If I take the time and effort to thoughtfully put together a cohesive deck for ranked I don't want to be placed against some idiot who just threw everything into a pile. If I win then it wasn't properly earned and if I lost then it was due to pure dumb luck on behalf of the idiot in question. Either way I walk away frustrated.

It just feels like for a game that is as strategic and thoughtful as Magic is that they should have a much more strict cap on how many cards you can have in a deck. Or at the very least have stricter guidelines for ranked gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "worried" about it. I win against 150+ card decks far more often than I lose against them. I just don't think they would be a thing in the first place. If I take the time and effort to thoughtfully put together a cohesive deck for ranked I don't want to be placed against some idiot who just threw everything into a pile. If I win then it wasn't properly earned and if I lost then it was due to pure dumb luck on behalf of the idiot in question. Either way I walk away frustrated.

It just feels like for a game that is as strategic and thoughtful as Magic is that they should have a much more strict cap on how many cards you can have in a deck. Or at the very least have stricter guidelines for ranked gameplay.

Actually just the opposite. We want as few restrictions as possible to give us the broadest set of possibilities to explore. Some people will build good decks and some will build bad decks. But more options and less restrictions is better.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Magic is many different things to many different people, and that includes those 3 people running 250 5color good stuff.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I had an 80 card 5 color Niv mizzet deck I jank around with. Sorry you had a bad time against a 250 card (what???) deck some random guy had, but placing more restrictions in magic will just make things worse for everyone. Usually more cards mean a worse (less consistent) deck. I've heard some people say about old school magic is just about how much pain you can put the opponent through and maybe that's still how it is. Personally if I play against people with weird stuff like that I learn something like a combo or weird interaction. Maybe to a degree they're doing something right and I'm doing something wrong? Or need to add more removal/answers in the sideboard for certain things? Magic is a complex and weird game. Getting stomped alot by top end meta decks sucks, but for me if I can learn how to build something myself and know it inside and out and have success with it then that's how I have fun in magic. I try to encourage people to keep playing magic simply because there's so much variety and ways to deckbuild. Don't really know what I'm trying to say here, but I hope you keep playing magic and have fun in what way you can despite or because of the craziness.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only reason I can think of using a huge deck is a weird Battle of Wits combo deck. I don't think there's any commanders that could tutor for it, though, so it'd be jank at best.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I play Arena nearly every day and I can't remember the last time I saw a deck that was > 60 cards. Granted, I don't play mill decks, so maybe I'm just not paying attention enough.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
The only time I worry about a deck with more than the prescribed amount is when I was playing eldraine draft and drafted a killer mill deck, only to see the opp put every single card they drafted into the deck. I had to take a moment to see the op running a 65 card deck.

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I worry about a deck with more than the prescribed amount is when I was playing eldraine draft and drafted a killer mill deck, only to see the opp put every single card they drafted into the deck. I had to take a moment to see the op running a 65 card deck.

I can't find the clip right now, but there was a streamed Cube draft where Kenji was matched against LoadingReadyRun and sided in over a thousand basic lands because LRR only had Brain Freeze as a win condition.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Seems like a lot of non-answers unfortunately, some good stuff in there though like saying they're still working on the stuff they listed in their development roadmap.

Sadly free all-the-time Brawl queue is still out of the question. Ugh.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

Hasbro had their investors call today, they said that Arena is coming to mobile sometime this year. They will have more details at the NY Toy Fair

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So funny story. I got pretty mad that none of my decks seemed to be getting me any more progress once I hit Platinum. Every deck I encountered just ran me over with creatures. So out of sheer frustration I made a Mono-Black spell deck. Just nothing but removal cards and bleed cards like ill gotten inheritance, Underworld Dreams, and Revenge of Ravens. Oh and lots of death touch.

And funnily enough it has worked. I'm in Plat 2 now lol

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
So funny story. I got pretty mad that none of my decks seemed to be getting me any more progress once I hit Platinum. Every deck I encountered just ran me over with creatures. So out of sheer frustration I made a Mono-Black spell deck. Just nothing but removal cards and bleed cards like ill gotten inheritance, Underworld Dreams, and Revenge of Ravens. Oh and lots of death touch.

And funnily enough it has worked. I'm in Plat 2 now lol

Nice! Have you had a chance to try Brawl yet? (I recall you started not too long ago)

Just made an Atris Oracle of Half-truths Deck, its win rate isn't exactly good, but when you get to play with his/her ability 5-6 times a game, even losing is fun with all the mind games

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nice! Have you had a chance to try Brawl yet? (I recall you started not too long ago)

Just made an Atris Oracle of Half-truths Deck, its win rate isn't exactly good, but when you get to play with his/her ability 5-6 times a game, even losing is fun with all the mind games
No I haven't had a chance to try brawl yet I have been trying to power through ranked so I can get to diamond again.

Jun 22, 2019
I dropped back in (against my better judgment). Last time I played was shortly after the War of the Spark expansion released.

None of my decks were suitable anymore due to the standard shift, lol.
I just wanted to draft, but unfortunately was a little short on gold.
Used up most of my wild cards to make a deck based around Feather, the Redeemed, which I had a rough template for already from before I quit. Seemed to work fairly well for something I quickly threw together, and the matches went very quick due to the aggro nature of Feather decks (and you pretty much already know if you won or lost by turn 4 most of the time too). Anyway, made gold from quests and did my draft (went 4-3 I think).

Dunno if I'll continue to return to MTGA once or twice a week. I really just wanna draft (for free) without having to play regular games in-between, but that's not possible to do (for free).