• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
The Worlds event is pretty neat, first time I actually get to play with tuned versions of decks. Going first with a red deck seems pretty unstoppable lol

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
It is nice playing the Worlds Event, just wish they did a Bo3. Would be nice to really play the deck instead of just playing one game and then moving on.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
My opponent just won with 3 seconds on the clock. Every single time an opponent has complete disregard for the clock and ropes every step of the way, they topdeck like a legend game 2 and get away with it.

Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with this Pro-event. Why is every opponent masturbating his cards for 3 minutes every time. This is a waiting simulator at this point...

I would actually pay for the queue which has half the time to complete turns/priorities. It is like the main strategy is to play as slow as possible expecting that the opponent will get bored and surrender.

Last edited:

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
What is wrong with this Pro-event. Why is every opponent masturbating his cards for 3 minutes every time. This is a waiting simulator at this point...

I would actually pay for the queue which has half the time to complete turns/priorities. It is like the main strategy is to play as slow as possible expecting that the opponent will get bored and surrender.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pro Magic 😉

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Janking around with Chance for Glory in a Kiora/Lotus Field simic shell to give me extra turns. Using repudiate and Tale's End to counter the "lose the game" trigger on my end step. Don't usually play ranked but pushing through Bo1! Omw to gold. Had like 3 extra turns in a row earlier lol...

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Is ravnica a fun draft?
It seems slow, at least compared to Eldraine and Theros. Played one and it was ok. Might play another, but not sure, as I was still having mana issues (got two gates, so that helped) and was playing two color. If I play again I'll probably make sure I splash a third color at least.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hi - only just started playing this and really enjoying it. I've just come up against what I guess you're calling Cat Oven where the opponent uses the food tokens, sacrificing a creature and the Cauldron Familiar to grind you down. Is there an obvious way for a Swamp based deck to beat it?
I get that people want to win but it's a fairly long and boring way of playing (or that's how it seems to me!)

I'm playing a LifeLink based swamp deck which I'm sure is pretty simple but it got me to the gold rank so I was pretty happy with it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hi - only just started playing this and really enjoying it. I've just come up against what I guess you're calling Cat Oven where the opponent uses the food tokens, sacrificing a creature and the Cauldron Familiar to grind you down. Is there an obvious way for a Swamp based deck to beat it?
I get that people want to win but it's a fairly long and boring way of playing (or that's how it seems to me!)

I'm playing a LifeLink based swamp deck which I'm sure is pretty simple but it got me to the gold rank so I was pretty happy with it.

Mono-black (entirely Swamp-based) decks don't have a good way to deal with artifacts so there's not much you can do about the oven. Your focus should be on the cats, trying to exile them so they can't be brought back with food. Cry of the Carnarium is one of the better cards for this, since it exiles all creatures that died that turn, not just those that are directly killed by it. Legion's End is also decent, as long as you can hit one of the cats before they have an oven to sacrifice it with as it also exiles any cats they may have in hand, but becomes useless against them if they can sacrifice them by any means so is not ideal.

For any deck, Blast Zone can be used to nuke all 1 mana things on board, which would allow you to destroy all their ovens and cats simultaneously, but they'll still have a chance to sacrifice their cats once before the ovens go away.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Mono-black (entirely Swamp-based) decks don't have a good way to deal with artifacts so there's not much you can do about the oven. Your focus should be on the cats, trying to exile them so they can't be brought back with food. Cry of the Carnarium is one of the better cards for this, since it exiles all creatures that died that turn, not just those that are directly killed by it. Legion's End is also decent, as long as you can hit one of the cats before they have an oven to sacrifice it with as it also exiles any cats they may have in hand, but becomes useless against them if they can sacrifice them by any means.

Thanks! Is it bad to have a mono based deck? If it is, what would you recommend I pair a black deck with or could it be anything? Sorry if it seems stupid - only played for a few weeks!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks! Is it bad to have a mono based deck? If it is, what would you recommend I pair a black deck with or could it be anything? Sorry if it seems stupid - only played for a few weeks!

Mono-colour decks are more consistent with mana but have fewer cards available to work with, so it's a bit of a trade-off. Fast aggressive decks that don't have many expensive cards tend to be mono-colour, whereas slower decks that need to answer as many things as possible (at the cost of not being able to play much to begin with) tend to be multicolour. It's a bit of generalisation but the variability and deckbuilding challenge is half the appeal.

Which colours (and combinations of colours) are viable depend on whatever the current meta is. There have been many mono-colour decks that have done very well at tournaments. If you're committed to a lifegain deck, white has a lot of ways to deal with artifacts and plenty of lifegain synergy, so it might be worth thinking of including to your deck.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Also consider these
0a135e09-b534-4836-9a10-3a9a4a9f8c53.jpg
04d5d429-e0c6-42cc-a477-da7dabb1c295.jpg

Though both are better as sideboard cards in Best of 3, rather than in Best of 1.

There are also several cards that exile target cards from graveyards, but timing can be tricky against Cauldron Familiar.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Also consider these
0a135e09-b534-4836-9a10-3a9a4a9f8c53.jpg
04d5d429-e0c6-42cc-a477-da7dabb1c295.jpg

Though both are better as sideboard cards in Best of 3, rather than in Best of 1.

There are also several cards that exile target cards from graveyards, but timing can be tricky against Cauldron Familiar.

Look good - what does sideboard card mean? I've only played one off matches so not seen a best of three - does that happen in specific games?

Also - and thanks for any help - if I don't have any of those cards is there a way to craft them? I know I can craft extra copies of cards I already have, but can't see a way to get ones I don't have yet.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Look good - what does sideboard card mean? I've only played one off matches so not seen a best of three - does that happen in specific games?

Also - and thanks for any help - if I don't have any of those cards is there a way to craft them? I know I can craft extra copies of cards I already have, but can't see a way to get ones I don't have yet.
In the upper right on the main menu there's an option for "Show all Game Modes." By default best-of-3 modes are hidden.

In 'normal' magic matches are played as the best 2 out of 3 games. Your deck is allowed to have a sideboard of up to 15 cards that you can swap in and out between games so that your deck has a better match up against whatever your opponent is up to.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017

And you can craft cards you dont have by filtering to show cards you have not collected. In decks, go to the filter and select "Cards Not Collected".

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017

The Cat Oven deck is very good at preventing damage from ground-based creatures. This is because they can block a creature with a cat and sacrifice it, causing that creature to deal no damage. To get around this, you need either flying creatures like Bloodthirsty Aerialist(which cannot be blocked by cat), creatures with trample (to deal damage through the blockers) or direct damage like Grey Merchant of Asphodel (which can be hard since they gain life)

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
hadn't really considered elspeth conquers death + flicker deck but i made it and it sure is a blue white deck

no creatures, all counters + planeswalkers + exile effects + 4 flicker of fate and 4 teferi's time twist

feels gross but also feels good, please god get teferi 3 out of standard already

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Mono-black (entirely Swamp-based) decks don't have a good way to deal with artifacts so there's not much you can do about the oven. Your focus should be on the cats, trying to exile them so they can't be brought back with food. Cry of the Carnarium is one of the better cards for this, since it exiles all creatures that died that turn, not just those that are directly killed by it. Legion's End is also decent, as long as you can hit one of the cats before they have an oven to sacrifice it with as it also exiles any cats they may have in hand, but becomes useless against them if they can sacrifice them by any means so is not ideal.

For any deck, Blast Zone can be used to nuke all 1 mana things on board, which would allow you to destroy all their ovens and cats simultaneously, but they'll still have a chance to sacrifice their cats once before the ovens go away.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Just used Cry of the Carnarium - felt pretty good to stop the move in it's tracks! I then had an amazing game where the other player had lot of cards but couldn't attack because of Raging Ravens (apologies for probably getting the names wrong, typing this without deck in front of me). I couldn't attack either because he would just block my attacks. They kept surveiling and dealing 1 damage but couldn't whittle me down as I would either get Lands that would grant me life or I would sacrifice an attack with a Lifelink creature to get some back. At one point we both had 4 life, they had 6 creatures and I had one on the board but no one could attack.

I then got my planeswalker card that can do three damage if I sacrifice a vampire, knew my next card was a Vindictive Vampire due to a card that allows you to see your next card and that I had one vampire card on the table. Came to my turn, played the Vindictive vampire, sacrificed the other - this gave one damage for the vampire dying and then the sacrifice allowed 3 extra damage - took all his health and won. Feels so good when it comes down to a couple of good cards and just hits 0!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just used Cry of the Carnarium - felt pretty good to stop the move in it's tracks! I then had an amazing game where the other player had lot of cards but couldn't attack because of Raging Ravens (apologies for probably getting the names wrong, typing this without deck in front of me). I couldn't attack either because he would just block my attacks. They kept surveiling and dealing 1 damage but couldn't whittle me down as I would either get Lands that would grant me life or I would sacrifice an attack with a Lifelink creature to get some back. At one point we both had 4 life, they had 6 creatures and I had one on the board but no one could attack.

I then got my planeswalker card that can do three damage if I sacrifice a vampire, knew my next card was a Vindictive Vampire due to a card that allows you to see your next card and that I had one vampire card on the table. Came to my turn, played the Vindictive vampire, sacrificed the other - this gave one damage for the vampire dying and then the sacrifice allowed 3 extra damage - took all his health and won. Feels so good when it comes down to a couple of good cards and just hits 0!

Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord right? I really liked that card when it came out, there were a lot of strong Vampire cards back then (Adanto Vanguard, Legion Lieutenant, Legion of Dusk) which in conjunction with both Sorin planeswalker cards made black/white vampires a pretty high tier deck. Sadly it was only a few months until many of the stronger pieces rotated out of the standard format, and there haven't been too many strong Vampire creatures since. Anyway, great to hear you're having some success. The close wins are some of the better ones.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord right? I really liked that card when it came out, there were a lot of strong Vampire cards back then (Adanto Vanguard, Legion Lieutenant, Legion of Dusk) which in conjunction with both Sorin planeswalker cards made black/white vampires a pretty high tier deck. Sadly it was only a few months until many of the stronger pieces rotated out of the standard format, and there haven't been too many strong Vampire creatures since. Anyway, great to hear you're having some success. The close wins are some of the better ones.

Yeah, that's the one. Really liking this game although I can't see how people play it without the computer putting all the tokens and keeping track of everything!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, that's the one. Really liking this game although I can't see how people play it without the computer putting all the tokens and keeping track of everything!

Paper Magic is slower in some aspects and quicker in others. For example, the cat-oven combo has to be done laboriously step-by-step in Arena, whereas IRL you can just say "I sacrifice and bring back this cat 4 times, tapping all my ovens, you take 4 and I heal 4, your go".

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Paper Magic is slower in some aspects and quicker in others. For example, the cat-oven combo has to be done laboriously step-by-step in Arena, whereas IRL you can just say "I sacrifice and bring back this cat 4 times, tapping all my ovens, you take 4 and I heal 4, your go".
The opposite of that is trying to figure out how much Mana you have with two nyxblooms and a Nissa on the board

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
When I started out in October 2019, I did really well with a tweaked vampire deck. I also added a Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord and it was quite helpful. I also played with 4x Revenge of Ravens, which synergized quite well with Bloodthirsty Aerialist. It was kind of a shitty midtempo deck, but I got up to high platinum with it.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
When I started out in October 2019, I did really well with a tweaked vampire deck. I also added a Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord and it was quite helpful. I also played with 4x Revenge of Ravens, which synergized quite well with Bloodthirsty Aerialist. It was kind of a shitty midtempo deck, but I got up to high platinum with it.

Can you share the decklist? I love Vampire-themed decks.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds pretty much like my deck.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Any recommendations on a decent deck to build toward as someone just starting out? I guess a budget deck that is relevant with the current expansion.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Any recommendations on a decent deck to build toward as someone just starting out? I guess a budget deck that is relevant with the current expansion.

mtgazone.com

MTG Arena Budget Standard Decks for Beginners - March 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best budget decks for Standard, with cheap common and uncommon cards only. Each deck comes complete with its own upgrade guide.

I used their budget deck guides when I first started, and got to Gold pretty easily.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
mtgazone.com

MTG Arena Budget Standard Decks for Beginners - March 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best budget decks for Standard, with cheap common and uncommon cards only. Each deck comes complete with its own upgrade guide.

I used their budget deck guides when I first started, and got to Gold pretty easily.

I did the same, upgraded to their upgrade suggestions as I went. Worked well to get to Gold. I mostly stop once I hit gold, curious how much further the budget decks could get. Once I hit gold it's just decks full of rare after mythic after rare.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

What I did was play through the tutorial, went through all the decks in the deck mastery section and then picked the one that 'felt' right to me. I then used that as my base to build knowledge upon.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that is bugging me is how long it takes when the other player seems to have given up. Played a game yesterday where the opponent was playing really fast, was looking like winning but then I pulled it back. They then let the time run out when it became clear I was going to win but they had some timeouts by that point and it just felt a bit annoying.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
All I can say about people slow playing is there's nothing we can do about it! I just listen to music, podcasts, or audiobooks and try to occupy my time while playing because of how annoying the slow playing is. Some people even get salty and slow play on purpose waiting until the last possible moment to try and annoy you enough to concede. Also people afk alot. When that happens I just play my stuff as quickly as possible to waste as little time as possible before passing back to their turn. Sometimes get free wins because the timer runs out before they get back. Remember you can mute opponents as well if they are being particularly passive aggressive with their emotes. Click on their face and hit mute.

Oct 27, 2017
In most cases, I do try to just throw my cards as quick as possible, leaving them less time to react or use the slow-mo brains. And there is something we can do, if there was a general consensus that the timer is too generous, developers might tweak it. However, with the current state of Arena where developers sabotaged two modes (Historical and Brawl) already, I doubt anyone cares about the ropers.

At least in Runeterra, the timer isn't so long, and the strategy of instantly dropping/attacking/passing does put some pressure on the opponent.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say about people slow playing is there's nothing we can do about it! I just listen to music, podcasts, or audiobooks and try to occupy my time while playing because of how annoying the slow playing is. Some people even get salty and slow play on purpose waiting until the last possible moment to try and annoy you enough to concede. Also people afk alot. When that happens I just play my stuff as quickly as possible to waste as little time as possible before passing back to their turn. Sometimes get free wins because the timer runs out before they get back. Remember you can mute opponents as well if they are being particularly passive aggressive with their emotes. Click on their face and hit mute.
They need to cut the timers in half.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Another stupid question time.

Is there not a rule about number of cards in decks. I've played a few matches recently where the opponent has had more than 60 cards - is that allowed and if so, why doesn't everyone?

Also, is there anyway to message a particular person after a game? I don't want to grief people but there are sometimes I'd like to say more than just good game.

Finally, are there any agreed upon manners for conceding? I always say good game and then concede, because I don't want to waste people's time when I know they will win, but just wanted to check if that wasn't seen as bad form.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is there not a rule about number of cards in decks. I've played a few matches recently where the opponent has had more than 60 cards - is that allowed and if so, why doesn't everyone?

There is no maximum deck size, only a minimum of 60. The reason this isn't as powerful as you might think is that, while it gives you more variety in you deck, it really harms your consistency. If you have 60 card deck filled to the brim with the best cards you can manage, adding more doesn't make your deck any better on average, it just makes it less likely you'll draw your best (which would've been in the deck in the first place). Also if your deck's strategy relies on a particular combo or synergy, increasing the number of cards (however good those cards may be) makes it less likely you'll draw your combo pieces.

Unless your opponent is a mill deck (or you've got a lot of draw/surveil effects), it's unlikely you'll go through your entire deck in a match anyway, and even then it's better to have cards that put your graveyard back in your library, like Clear the Mind.

(For clarity, a mill deck is a deck that aims to win by dumping as many of your opponent's cards in the graveyard as possible and winning when they can't draw any more).

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
60 card minimum, but there is no maximum size.
b4be15a4-693f-4e22-a46c-38bb440c073c.jpg

However, you generally want the minimum amount of cards in your deck. By adding more, you give up consistency. You're less likely to draw Bonecrusher Giant or whatever if you have an 80 card deck.

Also, is there anyway to message a particular person after a game? I don't want to grief people but there are sometimes I'd like to say more than just good game.
There isn't, no.

Finally, are there any agreed upon manners for conceding? I always say good game and then concede, because I don't want to waste people's time when I know they will win, but just wanted to check if that wasn't seen as bad form.
It's fine to just concede without saying anything.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Consistency is also why there is a minimum deck size, as a small deck would be far too consistent and effectively make every deck play the same every time, which is boring at best and overpowered at worst.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Can you share the decklist? I love Vampire-themed decks.
Behold my shame:

2 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Revenge of Ravens (ELD) 104
4 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
2 Child of Night (GRN) 65
4 Sorin's Thirst (M20) 325
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Murder (M20) 109
2 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
1 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord (M20) 115
3 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
2 Vicious Rumors (GRN) 89
3 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
22 Swamp (ELD) 260

This thing was built entirely out of cards I got from packs. No wildcards. That's really the only reason why I have 2 x Rankles in there. Games that I won tended to go one of three ways:
  1. 1 and 2 drop creatures do aggro work and opponent can't come back.
  2. Getting some synergy going with an Aerialist or two and making them huge.
  3. Using removal and Revenge to last long enough to get a Bolas's Citadel out. I fucking love that card. It works really well with all the lifegain. Castle Lochtwain would go a long ways too in that space if I wasn't getting the cards I needed.
I also won a surprising number of games due to opponents forgetting (or not knowing or caring) that Revenge procs right as soon as they attack and can take you out before combat resolves. In a lot of ways, it's like those Ajani's Pridemate decks, but with other options (i.e., less consistency). The biggest downside is how you really only have the Aerialists to benefit from the lifegain.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Diamond in Constructed with a Mono black Devotion deck. Is pretty fun to play, but pretty much always loses to RDW. Now getting ready to take the rest of the month off, hopefully it is still viable next month.

Using the Untapped MTG Assisstant, is nice having something to compile W/L. Does anyone use a better one? Pretty much just use the rankings and the inventory for drafts, make sure I grab something I'm almost out of if there is nothing for my deck, since it is just bots drafting, no need to grab the 'best' card when it gets towards the end.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Diamond in Constructed with a Mono black Devotion deck. Is pretty fun to play, but pretty much always loses to RDW. Now getting ready to take the rest of the month off, hopefully it is still viable next month.

Using the Untapped MTG Assisstant, is nice having something to compile W/L. Does anyone use a better one? Pretty much just use the rankings and the inventory for drafts, make sure I grab something I'm almost out of if there is nothing for my deck, since it is just bots drafting, no need to grab the 'best' card when it gets towards the end.
I've been using MTG Arena Tool.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge procs right as soon as they attack and can take you out before combat resolves

Yeah it's a card I feel can cause a lot of problems. If your opponent has a few low damage cards and attacks with them, it can win the game for you with a few of them out. I've played against a couple of people that have used it and you just have to do a lot of damage with one attack, but that allows the other player to build up their other cards whilst you have to focus on one. I also love Bolas's Citadel - I've usually gained enough life through nefarious methods that when I can play it, I then can play lots of other cards without too much worry!

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I also love Bolas's Citadel - I've usually gained enough life through nefarious methods that when I can play it, I then can play lots of other cards without too much worry!
Yeah, I also can't get enough of the gambling with it. There are few things more dangerous than paying for a card with health that you really didn't need to dig for more.