• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing Magic Online since 2002. People mistaking true randomness in a digital Magic client for a tilt against them is nothing new. Sometimes the game just shits on you. That's how it goes.
Agree to disagree then. There are enough people complaining about this and the land algorithm for me to suspect there is something going on. I have no idea how it works or how it's done, but it happens too often for it to just be a coincidence in my opinion.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I once had an opening hand with 7 forests while playing a paper deck with 13 forests and 11 islands. Sometimes it be like that

Last edited:

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Agree to disagree then. There are enough people complaining about this and the land algorithm for me to suspect there is something going on. I have no idea how it works or how it's done, but it happens too often for it to just be a coincidence in my opinion.
"The plural of anecdote is not data" as the saying goes. Selection bias means that people tend to remember when things go wrong more than when nothing out of the ordinary happens. If you really think there's something fishy going on use a tracker like untapped.gg and look at your actual stats.

One thing to note is that if you're in the "Play" queue the matchmaking does take deck contents into account. This is something they've been public about from the beginning. Other factors it considers is total number of games played and MMR. None of the other queues take deckbuilding or games played into account. Ladder matches work off of rank and MMR. Events work off of MMR and current w/l record in the event.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have no idea. But the odds of it happening this often just seem astronomically low to me. It's just like how people claim there is no problem with the land algorithm and yet people still consistently complain about getting 5 or more lands in a row despite it being statistically improbable for it to happen often enough for it to be a problem.

And yeah I get that it's only based on my experience, but this has been a constant issue for me since I started playing. We are talking about weeks and weeks. Hundreds of matches. And yet it keeps happening. Am I seriously supposed to believe it's just bad luck?
Yes of course you are supposed to believe it is bad luck, what else? A conspiracy theory?

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Ok, but like someone else mentioned, if you make a deck that's weak against token decks and suddenly run into nothing but token decks, how do you rationalize what's happening to your opponent? They made a token deck and are suddenly getting matched up against decks that they're strong against. How does that reconcile with what's happening to you? Arena just decided to apply this match-making to screw you but benefit them? Why?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i really wish wotc would stop holding me back from hitting mythic though

Feb 16, 2018
i believe deck-based matchmaking probably happens some of the time (even in best-of-3/ladder)
i don't believe it is done for malicious reasons (anecdotally, because the end result is it gives you more mirror matches)

i don't think there's any real point to giving random people their worst match-up all the time, but skewing your matchups towards facing similar decks might be part of some experiment

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm being dead serious. I have noticed that the decks my opponent's use seems to have some kind of relationship with the deck that I am using. Not everytime, but alot of the time. And this has been going on since I started playing the game. I use a deck that is strong against token decks? I see next to no token decks. I use a deck that is weak against token decks? Suddenly I get 3 or 4 token decks in a row. I use a deck that is weak against life gain? Suddenly I get loads of life gain in a row. I switch to a deck that is strong against them? They suddenly disappear.

And so on and so forth. It happens so consistently that I find it VERY hard to believe there isn't something going on.
Being able automatically categorise decks like you're suggesting would actually be very impressive. But they aren't doing that, you're imagining things.

The only deck based matchmaking they are doing in some casual queues is based on how close your deck is to one of the starter ones so new players are roughly together. To me this seems to be a good thing

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes of course you are supposed to believe it is bad luck, what else? A conspiracy theory?
I don't know what it is. But it happens far too often and far too consistently for me to just wave it away entirely as bad luck. If there is no deck based matchmaking in the game than there is absolutely no reason why I should see a sudden shift as consistently as I do the moment I change decks. Something is going on. I don't know what it is or how it works but it happens too much for it to be coincidence in my opinion. And it's not just me that has this problem there are threads going back to the beta on Reddit and elsewhere about this exact thing happening to other people.

If that makes me sound crazy then that's just how it's gonna be I guess.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Isn't it public knowledge that bo1 fixes your hand as well as matches you against people with similar decks based on your rares? I'm with coyote on this one. I play jank alot. Every day I get on and just try different combos with different cards. Oddly specific card combos mind you. When I play bo1 it'll match me up with people doing the exact same thing as me more often than not. Its just a given that there's a relation to my deck vs theirs. If I play a certain type of deck I'll run into a certain type of deck. I expect it.

Edit: I'll make a deck with a Neoform and Incubation Druid combo and run into 3 different people in bo1 doing the same thing. I'll make a Brought Back Lotus Field combo and run into the same thing. I'll make a Mirror March Master Splicer combo with Masterful Replication and Saheeli, guess what?

Covertgoblue did a video a while back on a burn deck with 13 lands and talked about how the land algorithm supposedly works. Every game he was consistently drawing lands. There's no question it modifies your hand and who you're matched to, only to what degree. Just switch between bo1 and bo3 and you'll see a difference.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The only matchmaking thing I notice that seems very obvious is I more often than not, play against the same type of deck twice in a row in bo1. My assumption is it's just a way for the game to give bo1 players more of a chance to learn to adapt to certain decks. Idk I guess it's pure randomness but it's kinda insane the frequency with which it happens if it's not the case.

The land thing is public knowledge that the game draws you two hands and will give you the hand that better reflects your Mana base. I'm sure there's other small things done behind the scenes. I really wouldn't be super surprised at least, it is a f2p game after all and part of the philosophy behind those games is antithical to how the true randomness of MTG plays out, this stuff like easing the frequency of land flood/screw.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know are good way to tell whether or not a deck you made is good? because I find myself making my own decks to try out and then I can't really tell if the wins that I'm getting are because I got lucky and if the losses that I got were because I was unlucky. Or if the deck is actually good.

Edit: Also is there a way to report players?

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know are good way to tell whether or not a deck you made is good? because I find myself making my own decks to try out and then I can't really tell if the wins that I'm getting are because I got lucky and if the losses that I got were because I was unlucky. Or if the deck is actually good.

When you play against enough of a certain deck, you get better at recognising of what is a good and bad start for them. If you can consistently beat established decks even when you can tell they've got a good start, then your deck is doing well for itself. If you only win when they trip up, get mana-screwed or can't get their combo pieces on curve, then that's down to luck.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When you play against enough of a certain deck, you get better at recognising of what is a good and bad start for them. If you can consistently beat established decks even when you can tell they've got a good start, then your deck is doing well for itself. If you only win when they trip up, get mana-screwed or can't get their combo pieces on curve, then that's down to luck.
Cool so all of my decks are terrible then except my removal bleed deck lol

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cool so all of my decks are terrible then except my removal bleed deck lol

Haha, join the club. But it's worth it for those times you can bullshit out a win. One of my proudest matches was beating a Golgari midrange deck (one of the top tier decks a while ago) that had a perfect start with some godawful Mardu control deck with Captive Audience as its only win condition. That's where I (and my opponent seemingly) realised that Assassin's Trophy can't target enchantments its caster controls.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Haha, join the club. But it's worth it for those times you can bullshit out a win. One of my proudest matches was beating a Golgari midrange deck (one of the top tier decks a while ago) that had a perfect start with some godawful Mardu control deck with Captive Audience as its only win condition.

My favorite deck of mine to win with is my janky as fuck mill deck. Its nowhere near optimized, but every once in awhile I can milk out a win with it. Its hilarious to watch their cursor go around the screen once they get down to below 10 cards.

I can almost here the "Wtf am I supposed to do here....." lol

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I think everyone has a deck that they know is a guilty pleasure feel-bad kind of deck. For me its discard. I know its painful for the opponent, but its just too much fun. They can't kill me if they don't have anything to play. Can't remember who, but I heard someone say that you can attack the board, attack the deck, or attack the hand. Attacking the hand just makes sense. Doesn't matter if the person has 200 cards in their deck if their hand is empty. Discard is my guilty pleasure.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Most of the decks I've played lately are just reasons to play All That Glitters.

I think everyone has a deck that they know is a guilty pleasure feel-bad kind of deck. For me its discard. I know its painful for the opponent, but its just too much fun. They can't kill me if they don't have anything to play. Can't remember who, but I heard someone say that you can attack the board, attack the deck, or attack the hand. Attacking the hand just makes sense. Doesn't matter if the person has 200 cards in their deck if their hand is empty. Discard is my guilty pleasure.

Mono U flash with 20 counterspells.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My favorite deck of mine to win with is my janky as fuck mill deck. Its nowhere near optimized, but every once in awhile I can milk out a win with it. Its hilarious to watch their cursor go around the screen once they get down to below 10 cards.

I can almost here the "Wtf am I supposed to do here....." lol
I usually don't feel too tilted from mill decks because I feel like it usually winds up being my own fault for not being aggressive enough or dilly dallying. Unless it's just a deck that got out early drowned secrets and just all counters from there.

For me it's my ashiok nightmare muse brawl deck. Specifically when I spend most of the game just sending stuff back to their hand only for them to finally resolve a big thing and then I drop agent of treachery. I get it it's awful. I specifically don't put thassa or any kind of recursion like that into the deck cuz fuck people who thassa+agent of treachery. It goes from guilt pleasure to just like feeling like a lazy way to ruin a fun back and forth game.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Have any of you ever made your own deck and thought "yeah this won't work" and yet for some weird reason it actually does work?

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Have any of you ever made your own deck and thought "yeah this won't work" and yet for some weird reason it actually does work?
Did a primarily Kiora/Lotus Field simic ramp deck with Chance for Glory thrown in for extra turns. I'd then use Repudiate or Tales End in full control mode on the end step to counter the "lose the game" effect. It actually worked well enough for me in bo1! Sometimes I'd end up with 2 or 3 extra turns in a row which was hard for the opponent to deal with.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Did a primarily Kiora/Lotus Field simic ramp deck with Chance for Glory thrown in for extra turns. I'd then use Repudiate or Tales End in full control mode on the end step to counter the "lose the game" effect. It actually worked well enough for me in bo1! Sometimes I'd end up with 2 or 3 extra turns in a row which was hard for the opponent to deal with.
Nice! Simic is the bane of my existence. I always seem to lose against it.

I was just asking because I made a mono black deck with literally no creatures whatsoever, removal cards, and a combination of Underworld Dreams/ill gotten inheritance/revenge of ravens. It's similar to a deck I had before, but I threw in 2 Liliana General Planeswalkers and Duress. There is no way it should work in my opinion but it seems to be working against everything except token decks and counterspell decks.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
someone doesn't read the text on shadowspear, blocks with their god, then ropes me. delicious

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really wish someone would have told me how much fun a proper Golgari Lotleth Giant deck can be. I am out here nuking people and thanking them when they kill my stuff.

It's such an extreme change of tactics than what I am used to.

EDIT: nevermind. The game saw I was doing too well and decided that my win rate needed to be brought back down to 50%.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh Happy days! Golos banned in brawl

But veil of summer and Oko unbanned in historic just as I made my first historic deck. Have a feeling it may be my last lol. Edit: whoops I read the announcement wrong. Moved from suspended to banned. Phew.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
workshop event was fun. feels like the red deck needs purphoros on the field to win. straight up copying gary seems better than any nightmare shenanigans though

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I appreciate the thought but I suspect all it's going to do is increase the proportion of Niv-Mizzet Reborn decks.
Niv is probably equally as unfun to play against, but at least is pretty easy to beat as they can't as easily get around 5 different color mana costs. Golos being colorless, etb being free ramp so he comes back every turn, and if he's left out just gets free greedy spells every turn is just game over once he's out. Niv can get cast and fill their hand, but they still can only cast usually 1 spell a turn, and it's much less likely to cast him on curve.

The thing is it's still incredibly boring to play against because it either pops off or it just kinda falters and they scoop.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I beat their Azorius Control. I play them a few games later and they are mono-red now. I beat that too.

BronzeEnergeticDore-small.gif

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I find that I don't win with Azorius control nearly as often anymore. It's like every deck out there is trying to counter it and a lot of them are great at doing just that.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Played the workshop event tonight and won on my first try in comeback fashion by cloning Gary a few times. I think I was down to 5 health or so. It was a lot of fun.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, just lost another game with Az Control. Honestly I'm pretty sure I've lost the last 7 games I've played with that deck, and I'm fairly proficient at piloting it.

Is the deck still considered good?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The matchmaking algorithm finally caught up to my Golgari deck. I should have known better than to think I had finally made a good deck. Thanks game.

Edit: Ha and now I feel like the game is just trolling. I haven't seen a deck above 70 cards in two days. I switch to my mill deck? 4 250 card decks in a row. Nice.

Last edited:

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, just lost another game with Az Control. Honestly I'm pretty sure I've lost the last 7 games I've played with that deck, and I'm fairly proficient at piloting it.

Is the deck still considered good?

Azorius Control is tier 2 right now. Most played decks right now seem to be Temur clover or reclamation, Sultai or Bant Ramp, and Rakdos. Believe they all do well against Azorius control due to making too many or recursive threats and the Azorius removal/counter suite not matching up well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so apparently I'm just doing something wrong and I don't know what the hell to do. Last season I was three wins away from mythic Rank and now all of a sudden I can't even get out of gold four despite the fact that I'm using literally the exact same decks I was using before. Not a single change. Not one. But I can't seem to buy a win. And don't tell me that it's bad luck or RNG because I would believe that if I was just on a bad streak or something but I am using literally the same decks that I was using last season and now all of a sudden I can't win at all. And it's not like I'm at a 50% win rate either. I am getting straight up bodied by decks that are very very very very clearly not gold rank decks.

Has the game logged my progress from last season and decided I need to play against higher ranked players? That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Okay so apparently I'm just doing something wrong and I don't know what the hell to do. Last season I was three wins away from mythic Rank and now all of a sudden I can't even get out of gold four despite the fact that I'm using literally the exact same decks I was using before. Not a single change. Not one. But I can't seem to buy a win. And don't tell me that it's bad luck or RNG because I would believe that if I was just on a bad streak or something but I am using literally the same decks that I was using last season and now all of a sudden I can't win at all. And it's not like I'm at a 50% win rate either. I am getting straight up bodied by decks that are very very very very clearly not gold rank decks.

Has the game logged my progress from last season and decided I need to play against higher ranked players? That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
Hard to say without knowing your deck and the decks you faced. If they're not high rank decks, then your deck must not be very good (or not meta-good at least), otherwise it's just a question or bad luck/RNG/misplays. There's no other explaination

Could also be that since it's been weeks since Theros released people have drafted/crafted enough new cards to update their decks. And with the latest World Championship showing the best decks, people now know what to spend their wildcards on.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017

I think your entire disposition towards the game seems really hostile and counterproductive right now. Maybe it has to do with making it to diamond so easily last season and you're just expecting the same.

You say you can't get there with the same deck, but you've mostly been posting about random golgari piles and such recently, which doesn't make it seem like you've been grinding with the same old deck. Even with the same deck, you have to remember that the meta changes and, more importantly, improves in deck quality over time.

I don't think "not a gold rank deck" is a thing that exists. People netdeck the top decks in silver, probably even in bronze.

Regarding your last question, you can see your opponent's rank right there in the match. You can start tracking it or you can keep going with the gut feeling of "I know the game is messing with me in some way".

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Unlike some older formats, Standard shifts constantly. A deck that did well weeks ago might not be positioned well at all in the current meta.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Azorius Control is tier 2 right now. Most played decks right now seem to be Temur clover or reclamation, Sultai or Bant Ramp, and Rakdos. Believe they all do well against Azorius control due to making too many or recursive threats and the Azorius removal/counter suite not matching up well.

This my azorius control wins 50% of the time against bant/temur due to land and draw advantages

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think your entire disposition towards the game seems really hostile and counterproductive right now. Maybe it has to do with making it to diamond so easily last season and you're just expecting the same.

You say you can't get there with the same deck, but you've mostly been posting about random golgari piles and such recently, which doesn't make it seem like you've been grinding with the same old deck. Even with the same deck, you have to remember that the meta changes and, more importantly, improves in deck quality over time.

I don't think "not a gold rank deck" is a thing that exists. People netdeck the top decks in silver, probably even in bronze.

Regarding your last question, you can see your opponent's rank right there in the match. You can start tracking it or you can keep going with the gut feeling of "I know the game is messing with me in some way".
My disposition is hostile because literally nothing I do seems to get me anywhere despite only being in Gold 4. I use my old decks? I get destroyed. I use new decks? I get destroyed. I copy decks from YouTube? I get destroyed. I made the Golgari deck because grinding with my older decks isn't working. And the Golgari deck was working great until the game caught up to what I was doing. And I know I can see their ranks. What I'm saying is I am pretty sure most of the people I am playing are Platinum level players working their way through gold instead of playing actual gold ranked players. Which is pretty frustrating as it makes for a really inconsistent experience and makes it halfway impossible to tell how good the current deck I am using is.

I just wish the matchmaking experience in ranked was more consistent. Because for the past week and half it has been all over the place for me. If I am in gold I want to be playing gold level players. And so on. This system reminds me of R6 Siege where it matches up silver and gold players against Diamond ranked players randomly.

Unlike some older formats, Standard shifts constantly. A deck that did well weeks ago might not be positioned well at all in the current meta.
And i get that which is why I set aside most of my older decks these past few days and have been trying out newer ones. My frustration is that no matter what I use I seem to hit a wall with them after a time. The Golgari deck I made for example got me all the way to nearly Gold 2 from the bottom of gold 4 in one go. No losses. And now I can't seem to buy a win with the deck. Same goes for my mono black sacrifice, mono red aggro, white black sacrifice, and my mono blue mill deck. I will gain some ground by winning 3 or 4 matches and then get absolutely picked apart 10 times in a row.

It's just frustrating to beat your head against the wall for days and get literally nowhere.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have a Radeon card that plays Arena? I'm having an issue where the framerate is bad when the game is in the foreground, but fine if something else is in front of it. This only happens when in fullscreen, the game runs fine otherwise.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
My disposition is hostile because literally nothing I do seems to get me anywhere despite only being in Gold 4. I use my old decks? I get destroyed. I use new decks? I get destroyed. I copy decks from YouTube? I get destroyed. I made the Golgari deck because grinding with my older decks isn't working. And the Golgari deck was working great until the game caught up to what I was doing. And I know I can see their ranks. What I'm saying is I am pretty sure most of the people I am playing are Platinum level players working their way through gold instead of playing actual gold ranked players. Which is pretty frustrating as it makes for a really inconsistent experience and makes it halfway impossible to tell how good the current deck I am using is.

I just wish the matchmaking experience in ranked was more consistent. Because for the past week and half it has been all over the place for me. If I am in gold I want to be playing gold level players. And so on. This system reminds me of R6 Siege where it matches up silver and gold players against Diamond ranked players randomly.

And i get that which is why I set aside most of my older decks these past few days and have been trying out newer ones. My frustration is that no matter what I use I seem to hit a wall with them after a time. The Golgari deck I made for example got me all the way to nearly Gold 2 from the bottom of gold 4 in one go. No losses. And now I can't seem to buy a win with the deck. Same goes for my mono black sacrifice, mono red aggro, white black sacrifice, and my mono blue mill deck. I will gain some ground by winning 3 or 4 matches and then get absolutely picked apart 10 times in a row.

It's just frustrating to beat your head against the wall for days and get literally nowhere.

play more meta decks? get luckier? post your deck and let someone tell you how good it is? dunno what you're looking for aside from agreement that the game is rigging every match against you

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is I am pretty sure most of the people I am playing are Platinum level players working their way through gold instead of playing actual gold ranked players.
Unfortunately this goes for almost every ranked system in 2020. And seasons last only a month in Arena so a lot of people do spend the whole season just getting to their correct rank.

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of just started playing MTG Arena this week, so far I am trying to get 4 wins in a day with basic decks while doing rank/normal games in constructed. Should I ever be spending gold on these events?

I am new to Magic in general and still getting a feel for the cards and all of the rules/mechanics. I feel like trying to spend gold on draft/events might just end up being a disaster.

Should I be doing anything else besides dailies/4 wins a day?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I kind of just started playing MTG Arena this week, so far I am trying to get 4 wins in a day with basic decks while doing rank/normal games in constructed. Should I ever be spending gold on these events?

I am new to Magic in general and still getting a feel for the cards and all of the rules/mechanics. I feel like trying to spend gold on draft/events might just end up being a disaster.

I mean, draft events are hotha. Good way to learn and also build your collection of cards. You get to keep the cards you draft plus you win packs for entering. It's probably the best use of your coins.

The workshop events are also cool for new players as they give you preconstructed decks to try out so you can see how other decks play and those are free.

I'd stay away from standard events tho as the preconstructed decks won't do well.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
As a new player, I found drafting to be a pretty demoralizing and extremely time consuming, especially after everyone recommended it. Maybe you won't be so terrible at it, but I went a long time without even registering a win (like, it may have been nearly 10 drafts for me).

My trajectory has been:
  1. Play with the new player decks they give you.
  2. Open some packs that you get, then try to use that to tweak the new player decks.
  3. Use gold to buy packs.
  4. Open enough packs to get some wildcards, then use those to netdeck (taking constructed decks off the internet and playing them). Warning: Don't go heavy on this. You'll regret spending a lot of wildcards on something that isn't working for you. Best to try and find options that require spending as few wildcards as possible.
  5. Get into drafting a bit.
Generally what you're doing is just fine. Which way you want to go is up to you.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i would say watch some youtube videos of drafts (theros ones atm) to get a good idea for cards to pick and archetypes to build towards. i really like draft but haven't done it in a bit since i'm hoarding gold. it's a nice break from standard, you can get some decent rewards and the gem prizes helps get the mastery pass for additional unlocks.