• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As midrange Gruul, fighting Red Aggro is a lot of fun. Seeing them open with a blitz and dropping me to 13-15 is hilarious when my turn 3 Nullhide Ferox drops and they realize this is about to get a lot harder for them.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot Mono Black Control.

Everyone has forgotten Mono Black Control.

(cries)
Remember for like a decade, anytime they would do something like reprint Mutilate, people would go "FINALLY MONO-BLACK CONTROL IS BACK"
...and do you remember what *actually* finally made Mono-Black Control a T1 deck again?
89.jpg

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gray Merchant was great. Great Commander card these days too.

Gotta love the cycles Magic design produces. Every color has its time in the sun in standard and it always rotates. And every time there's a 'worst color', especially if it's a result of design pulling it back after it being dominant and/or annoying, fans of that color complain. And it always eventually cycles back to prominence again. Rinse, repeat.

Red will be good in standard again, red fans. It just might take time.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting on that Standard+ or whatever announcement before I start buying into a Standard deck. Supposedly they're going to say something during the M20 release period about it. I hope they support it in paper.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Gray Merchant was great. Great Commander card these days too.

Gotta love the cycles Magic design produces. Every color has its time in the sun in standard and it always rotates. And every time there's a 'worst color', especially if it's a result of design pulling it back after it being dominant and/or annoying, fans of that color complain. And it always eventually cycles back to prominence again. Rinse, repeat.

Red will be good in standard again, red fans. It just might take time.
I want red to be good in EDH though and then they printed the red force

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather play mono red or mono white in EDH
I would rather play mono red than RW funnily enough.
No mono color is truly good in EDH and red is definitely near the bottom, but it's not even the worst and it's got plenty of utility that plays well with other colors. White is far and away the worst color in EDH.
mono blue is absolutely good in EDH (based on the power of their generals it's among the strongest strategies you can build), red is the 2nd worst and by a wide margin to BUG, so what if white is worse they also got a terrible force.

Oct 28, 2017
mono blue is absolutely good in EDH (based on the power of their generals it's among the strongest strategies you can build), red is the 2nd worst and by a wide margin to BUG, so what if white is worse they also got a terrible force.

Absolutely. And I'm sure a commander could be printed for both Red or White that would be of such high power that a mono colored deck in those colors could be good.

What I meant is that a generic "mono-blue goodstuff" deck, such as Baral, isn't particularly great. Urza, Azami and Teferi are what make those blue decks so good.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. And I'm sure a commander could be printed for both Red or White that would be of such high power that a mono colored deck in those colors could be good.

What I meant is that a generic "mono-blue goodstuff" deck, such as Baral, isn't particularly great. Urza, Azami and Teferi are what make those blue decks so good.
Err... The overall card quality in blue in Magic history is definitely a factor too. It's why big Teferi, baby Jace and Vendilion Clique are great commanders.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
i'd rather play mono red than mono green in edh tbh(see: neheb, daretti, ashling, etc.)

white is the only color that really needs help

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mono Green has it all. Ramp, powerful bombs, card draw, answers, recursion... it's definitely my gun-to-my-head mono color pick.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Mono Green can also be really good in EDH.
arguably mono green is stronger in non cutthroat metas than mono u yeah. It's just at the dumbest powerlevel mono u pulls ahead

Yeah any mono colour can have good decks, Godo + Helm is an almost top tier cEDH strategy for instance, but the good stuff decks can almost only be pulled off by mono u and mono g because they don't have glaring weaknesses.

Green in particular has access to everything but countermagic because it's so good at making mana.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Mono-Black works fine in most Commander environments as a combination big mana/value strategy. Yeah, the Golgari and Sultai versions play the value game better, but you lose the big mana consistency that comes from getting full value off things like Cabal Coffers, Nirkana Revenent, etc. (Unless your playgroup is lousy with Urrborgs, which admittedly isn't rare to see.)

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Return to Theros gives some really strong devotion to White and devotion to Red cards. Like Gary level cards. That'd help out those colors in EDH.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter Three and Four
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read last week's chapter before, so I'll read that and this week's now. Since this is a new thread, this is the story that was supposed to be released before WAR came out, but didn't for reasons. The WAR novel pretty clearly expects you to have read this.

And I discovered you can read them at this link.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter 3
* As Ral approaches Azorius HQ, he notices they've become much more militarized recently. He's stopped at a checkpoint but insists he's there as a representative of Niv-Mizzet. He's eventually allowed in.
* Boros soldiers and Aurelia herself are waiting in a meeting room. Aurelia is arguing with an Azorius vedalken about how Azorius and Boros are supposed to work together and Azorius doesn't need its own soldiers, but Boros isn't doing a good job enforcing the laws, but that's because Azorius keeps changing them, etc.
* Aurelia and Ral are let in to meet Isperia, leader of Azorius. The vedalken sits with Isperia. He turns out to be Dovin Baan.
* Aurelia and Isperia are suspicious of Niv Mizzet's claims of a dragon from another world coming to attack.
* Baan confirms that Bolas is real, and claims he crossed paths with him on his home world of Kaladesh. Aurelia is surprised he would claim to be from another world too, but Ral insists that such beings exist. Ral feels odd confirming it after trying to hide it for so long.
* Aurelia is dismissive of Bolas's strength; she's sure The Boros Legion working together could kill Niv-Mizzet and Bolas wouldn't be any different.
* Ral claims Dimir will be working with Bolas, and likely others. They move on, accepting the premise that Bolas is a real threat for now.
* They gawk at Niv-Mizzet's plan for the Guildpact to amended to grant him power, not believing his claims that he'd be neutral afterwards. Still, they agree in principal to have a Guild Summit. Ral wonders how Niv-Mizzet plans to get guilds like Gruul to come.

* Ral thinks things are looking up, since Azorius's endorsement at least makes it seem less like an Izzet power play.
* As he leaves, a girl tells him that someone wishes to meet him about Bolas. He sits on a bench and waits, noticing a Rakdos puppet performance for kids; Azorius guards stop them from setting things on fire.
* Lavinia meets with Ral at the bench; she is on the run from Azorius. She left because she discovered foreign agents in Azorius, and thinks Bolas has agents in every guild. She'll contact him with more details when she can.

* Ral meets with Tomik in an apartment. They kiss and have dinner. Ral prefers super spicy food.
* Tomik is a high ranking Orzhov member, so them meeting publicly would raise awkward questions. Ral feels more strongly about him than his previous lovers.
* They have sex.

* We get Ral's backstory through a dream. He was from a poor region that couldn't afford mages for metalwork, instead using the disposable tenement dwellers. Ral's mother died after a metalworking accident. Ral left his drunk dad after at the age of 13.
* We see Ral's lover at 18, a 19-year-old living a bohemian lifestyle with aspirations to be a writer named Elias.
* Ral has the power to make it rain, and he uses this power to water the gardens of rich folk for money. The narration mentioned earlier that Ral worked for Izzet for decades, and he isn't in Izzet at this point, so present day Ral is at least in his late 30's / early 40's.
* The client's son harasses him, claiming he got his hat wet and demands he pay for it. Ral refuses and is beaten for it.
* A stranger approaches Ral after this and heals him, then offers him a way to get revenge. The stranger reveals his name is Nicol Bolas.

Chapter 4
* Ral gets a letter from Niv-Mizzet asking to meet.
* He gets coffee (pointing this out because some people are surprised coffee exists in Magic).
* Ral goes to meet with a Dimir agent, only to find her dead. Lazav, taking the form of a little girl, talks to him instead.
* Lazav claims he wasn't behind the attack on Niv-Mizzet. He mentions he'd like the assailant returned to him for interrogation.
* He says someone has put their own agents in Dimir. He is uncharacteristically upset about this, which Ral is unsettled by. He will attend the Guild Summit himself.

* Vraska is in the process of making a throne out of people sent to kill her. It's taking longer than she expected, but finally enough assassins were sent after her to complete it.
* She moved Golgari HQ back from the rot farms to Svogthos.
* Her throne is just about to be done, but the assassin moves his arm at the last second as he's turned to stone, ruining the symmetry. She knocks the arm off and says it's good enough.
* She has everything she wanted, but she still feels empty.
* Xeddic, the telepathic kraul, hesitantly brings up that he's been investigating her mind without permission and found something odd. Part of her mind is sealed off.
* She wants the seal removed. Xeddic says it appears she consented to have the seal placed, but she says that isn't possible. She has him remove it.
* Vraska's memories of Ixalan and Jace come flooding back, though she doesn't fully know what to make of it yet. She previously had the Azorius messenger who came to invite her to the Guild Summit killed, and she can't bring herself to agree to an Azorius invitation, so she has a letter written to Ral instead.

* Ral is in his office, taking stock of how the invitations are going.
* Hekara of Rakdos (who was introduced having died off screen in WAR) is introduced by entering Ral's office while kicking one of his attendants after yelling, "Think fast!"
* She says Rakdos has agreed to the Summit, but in the mean time, Rakdos wants her to stick close to Ral, to his annoyance.
* Hekara starts hitting on Ral, to his annoyance.
* A rot zombie from Golgari announces that Vraska will attend the Summit then dissolves. Hekara remarks that won't come out of the carpet.

Say what you will about the cards and the WAR novel, but this story is leaning right into Ral being gay.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Mono-Black works fine in most Commander environments as a combination big mana/value strategy. Yeah, the Golgari and Sultai versions play the value game better, but you lose the big mana consistency that comes from getting full value off things like Cabal Coffers, Nirkana Revenent, etc. (Unless your playgroup is lousy with Urrborgs, which admittedly isn't rare to see.)
mono black works fine because it is extremely consistent, the commanders are pretty bad however.
Cabal Coffers are so abundant here I don't ever put urborg in my decks if I don't plan to abuse it with coffers and regularly keep it in hand until I can get both pieces.
You forgot Mono Black Control.

Everyone has forgotten Mono Black Control.

(cries)
I didn't put that in because it was before my time playing and watching standard. Thoughtseize is a heck of a card though.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the Devotion mechanic succeed in promoting single color decks last time it existed?

Also, not fun running into Huey on ladder when on a cold spell and testing out a new deck 😩. I remember reading about the dude winning GPs or PTs when I was in Junior high and playing Masques/Invasion Type 2.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Devotion mechanic succeed in promoting single color decks last time it existed?
Mono-Black was the main one, although it often had a splash. There were green based ones as well based on the land Nykthos but I can't remember details

There were heroic and enchantment based decks as well, as a block it was quite successful at pushing it's keywords into constructed.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Mono-Black was the main one, although it often had a splash. There were green based ones as well based on the land Nykthos but I can't remember details

There were heroic and enchantment based decks as well, as a block it was quite successful at pushing it's keywords into constructed.
Mono-Blue was pretty big too, mainly due to Master of Waves.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Devotions decks were all around, some tournament quality, some casual. I hope the mechanic comes back.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I will let you know I played with devotion before it was cool, back in my day we called it chroma.

I just love lorwyn block

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Welp. I had been on the fence about jumping into Magic for years. This thread put me on board. Getting a spellslinger set tomorrow to learn to play.

I have to say that it is really intimidating from the outside. :)

loveshuffle

Alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Welp. I had been on the fence about jumping into Magic for years. This thread put me on board. Getting a spellslinger set tomorrow to learn to play.

I have to say that it is really intimidating from the outside. :)

I played Dark>Ice Age and hadn't really played seriously since. The game is still, for the most part, fairly easy to learn. The only issue is the amount of time you need to invest to simply build up card knowledge, i.e. knowing what things do, what are common interactions, what are staple themes, etc. That you only get with time, and playing a lot. Definitely recommend Arena to anyone, not just because it is free, but because the visual representation it gives of the stack and when you can cast spells/trigger abilities I think is extremely helpful for new players.

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll call it quits here for the season.

GIGNJC6.png

Gonna try for Diamond with 2020.
Good luck, if you really want to climb at the start of a season I think the best thing to do is just pick the fastest, most aggressive deck. You'll get in more matches/hour and a lot of the time you'll run into players trying out new cards in builds that haven't been optimized yet. Also White Weenie is probably just the best deck right now.

Looks like I'm gonna finish in mythic top 1000 for the first time as long as I don't decay 500 spots over the next 3 days, pretty stoked since I've been percent gamering quite a bit.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Devotions decks were all around, some tournament quality, some casual. I hope the mechanic comes back.

The only one that never really worked was white (alone) because the payoffs were not big enough. Once Khans came in red, black, and blue went away because their best devotion enablers went away (Pack Rat, Boros Reckoner, Nightveil Spectre).

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay bit rambly but I am EXCEEDINGLY pleased with myself.

My Plat 3 promotion match was against a Red/White aggro deck. He dropped me down to 9 REALLY fast before I managed to get a Nullhide Ferox out, but I relied on being patient to work it out.

He had Gideon Blackblade out on turn 2 or 3 I forget and it took some work to get rid of. So I have a 4/4 Spellbreaker and Ferox on the field. I'm at 9, he's at 20. He's got 2 2/1s on the field and 2 1/1s.

He pays 2 to drop my Nullhide on my Ferox as he attacks, and that makes me HIGHLY suspicious. I'm thinking he figures I'll block the 2/1s, then kill my Ferox with Lava Coil/Bombard. So I block a 1/1 with the Ferox, a 2/1 with the Spellbreaker [since she wouldn't survive a Coil anyways] and sure enough he wound up casting nothing. Drops me to 6, I roll with it.

I drop Phoenix the next turn, swing with just the Ferox. He eats it. 6 to 14. He doesn't swing because now I've got fatal if he doesn't block at least one. Stalemate. I feel this is when I was confident it was in the bag. Next turn, I drop Ilharg.

Swing with the Phoenix. 6 to 10. His turn, he goes 'Good Game' and drops Lyra. Not sure if he was going Last-Ditch or assumed it'd win it for him, but either way, I drop Nullhide's aura and throw down Domri.

Nullhide eats Lyra, he gains 5 from Lifelink, back up to 15. But I attack with Phoenix and Ilharg, leaving my now 7/1 Ferox so he can block next turn and not die swinging here. Ilharg brings my Skargan Hellkite to the field. Dude concedes.

I was -patient-, I was tactical, and I didn't panic even when I got really low, and it won me the match.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Okay bit rambly but I am EXCEEDINGLY pleased with myself.

My Plat 3 promotion match was against a Red/White aggro deck. He dropped me down to 9 REALLY fast before I managed to get a Nullhide Ferox out, but I relied on being patient to work it out.

He had Gideon Blackblade out on turn 2 or 3 I forget and it took some work to get rid of. So I have a 4/4 Spellbreaker and Ferox on the field. I'm at 9, he's at 20. He's got 2 2/1s on the field and 2 1/1s.

He pays 2 to drop my Nullhide on my Ferox as he attacks, and that makes me HIGHLY suspicious. I'm thinking he figures I'll block the 2/1s, then kill my Ferox with Lava Coil/Bombard. So I block a 1/1 with the Ferox, a 2/1 with the Spellbreaker [since she wouldn't survive a Coil anyways] and sure enough he wound up casting nothing. Drops me to 6, I roll with it.

I drop Phoenix the next turn, swing with just the Ferox. He eats it. 6 to 14. He doesn't swing because now I've got fatal if he doesn't block at least one. Stalemate. I feel this is when I was confident it was in the bag. Next turn, I drop Ilharg.

Swing with the Phoenix. 6 to 10. His turn, he goes 'Good Game' and drops Lyra. Not sure if he was going Last-Ditch or assumed it'd win it for him, but either way, I drop Nullhide's aura and throw down Domri.

Nullhide eats Lyra, he gains 5 from Lifelink, back up to 15. But I attack with Phoenix and Ilharg, leaving my now 7/1 Ferox so he can block next turn and not die swinging here. Ilharg brings my Skargan Hellkite to the field. Dude concedes.

I was -patient-, I was tactical, and I didn't panic even when I got really low, and it won me the match.
That's awesome congrats!

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the full M20 spoilers, White Weenie is actually getting some nice cards. Leyline, Pacifism, Raise the Alarm, Disenchant, Gods Willing, Loyal Pegasus. Brought Back I'm not totally sold on but we'll see.

The deck will still take a huge hit when Dominaria/Ixalan rotate out, losing History of Benalia and Benalish Marshall is rough, but maybe they'll print another 3 drop anthem or something. Oh, and Legion's Landing and Adonto Vanguard... yikes. At least we'll still have Loxodon. Might just have to switch to Boros.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the Horizon lands from MH will drop in value? I'm considering buy some of them so I have them for commander decks. Don't wanna do it if they're expected to become even though.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine that Historic sticks in paper at all if it starts at Ixalan.

Status
Not open for further replies.