• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Historic is a fine name. They are saying right now it's "Casual and Fun" and only for Arena- my guess is in 3 years they start doing big paper tournaments with it (assuming that WOTC is even doing paper events in 3 years might be presumptuous though!)

The thing that concerns me is they are adding a $20 Battlepass to the game called a "Masterypass". Apparently Mastery is a tutorial thing that is in the game that I have never seen (aparently there is a mode called "Sparky" as well?). Hopefully, the contents of said battlepass are avalible by playing "normal" games of magic and not braindead tutorial stuff

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Historic is a fine name. They are saying right now it's "Casual and Fun" and only for Arena- my guess is in 3 years they start doing big paper tournaments with it (assuming that WOTC is even doing paper events in 3 years might be presumptuous though!)

The thing that concerns me is they are adding a $20 Battlepass to the game called a "Masterypass". Apparently Mastery is a tutorial thing that is in the game that I have never seen (aparently there is a mode called "Sparky" as well?). Hopefully, the contents of said battlepass are avalible by playing "normal" games of magic and not braindead tutorial stuff
isnt sparky the playful planeswalker spark that introduces you to the game or am i just making that shit up

also i think i saw the mastery tree when streamers were previewing war of the spark

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
isnt sparky the playful planeswalker spark that introduces you to the game or am i just making that shit up

also i think i saw the mastery tree when streamers were previewing war of the spark
Oh god, you are right. I remember that thing on day 1 of the full launch of the game after the beta wipe. I was ready to sell my account with the hundreds of dollars worth of Gems because forcing someone that both played a ton of magic and had played a ton of arena to play with shitty precons and force me to buy booster packs in the shop with currency before letting me get to actual modes of the game was terrible

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
This approach to Historic is the lazy option. With their comments on the meta, it seems they have no appetite to balancing a new format and would rather follow the lead of the card game R&D. This might be for the best, but seems like a stop gap.

Oct 28, 2017
This approach to Historic is the lazy option. With their comments on the meta, it seems they have no appetite to balancing a new format and would rather follow the lead of the card game R&D. This might be for the best, but seems like a stop gap.

I imagine the card game R&D just tells them what sets will be legal. They're probably a part of the meetings, but I sincerely doubt its ultimately their call. I can't imagine Magic Arena has any agency at all with regard to what's legal and what's not.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Should I start picking up some Ixalan staples now? I have a small amount of cards from that set.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
So they are introducing a fortnite-esque pass. Mmmm I don't like that system, but let's see what they add.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the card game R&D just tells them what sets will be legal. They're probably a part of the meetings, but I sincerely doubt its ultimately their call. I can't imagine Magic Arena has any agency at all with regard to what's legal and what's not.
I guess my point is R&D clearly don't want to take responsibility for it yet, so we end up with this.
Should I start picking up some Ixalan staples now? I have a small amount of cards from that set.
In paper? Probably not, I can't see this format going anywhere.

Oct 28, 2017

I'm thinking Search for Azcanta could be playable, though I'm not sure. Jadelight Ranger is pretty good. Maybe The Immortal Sun and Carnage Tyrant? Beyond that, I'm not sure what from Ixalan actually has a chance of making a big splash.

Scapeshift might be a good pick, honestly, though that'd be an expensive spec. It had no support in standard, but it wouldn't at all be surprising for it to get support later on.

Oct 25, 2017
You bastards! You can't steal Historic! That's the name of the best format already :(

Don't take my Historic Standard Sidisi Whip away from me ;_;

Feb 16, 2018

the way they're treating this so far, i would not try to invest in historic for paper unless you have a group of friends you want to play it with

there's a chance they make it something more important alongside some other announcements, but that hasn't happened yet

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

4x Unclaimed Territory
4x Sorcerous Spyglass
2x Search for Azcanta
1-2x Settle the Wreckage
1-2x Revel in Riches
1-2x Growing Rites of Itlimic
1-2x The Immortal Sun
1-2x Wayward Swordtooth

Most of the staple beaters like Rekindling Phoenix and Carnage Tyrant are going to drop after rotation and stay there. Same deal with many of the removal spells like Vraska's Contempt. You want the utility cards for stuff like EDH and Modern.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For the future, there's heavy speculation on our Discord that the fall set will be, if not a straight up DnD set, then a DnD inspired set that focuses on class tribal.

Warrior in RW
Wizards in UR
Rogues in UB
Druids in GU
Clerics in WB
Ranger in RG
etc.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For the future, there's heavy speculation on our Discord that the fall set will be, if not a straight up DnD set, then a DnD inspired set that focuses on class tribal.

Warrior in RW
Wizards in UR
Rogues in UB
Druids in GU
Clerics in WB
Ranger in RG
etc.
I asked earlier but got no response, aside from Bag of Holding, why?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I asked earlier but got no response, aside from Bag of Holding, why?
A direct reference to a DnD term is a pretty big hint.
But it's also that the way they're hiding information about it and making a big announcement seems strange if it was just for "Norse mythology world" or whatever, and MaRo has said he's wanted to do this for over a decade.

Pauper legality
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
From the Weekly MTG stream, Pauper will now be an officially sanctioned format. It will have a unified legality list: if it was common in paper or online, it's legal (unless it's banned).

Following this change, the following cards will be added to the existing banned list:
* High Tide
* Sinkhole
* Hymn to Tourach

Newly legal, not banned includes:
* Goblin Grenade
* Mystic Remora
* Desert
* Forked Bolt
* Ashnod's Altar

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But it's also that the way they're hiding information about it and making a big announcement seems strange if it was just for "Norse mythology world" or whatever, and MaRo has said he's wanted to do this for over a decade.
Eh, I dunno. Y'all may be right but I think it's a reach if that's the only concrete piece of evidence. We'll see.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
As an MTG newbie, im curious if ya'll think its worth it to buy packs in Arena. Is Arena the defacto way the community plays online? Is it an ecosystem worth making a few purchases in?

Feb 16, 2018
As an MTG newbie, im curious if ya'll think its worth it to buy packs in Arena. Is Arena the defacto way the community plays online? Is it an ecosystem worth making a few purchases in?

if you like playing standard constructed, it's reasonable

just know what you're buying. almost everything will be kinda useless after a year or so because of rotation

for example, i wouldn't buy packs from ixalan / dominaria / core set 2019 at the moment because those cards will leave standard in September

Oct 28, 2017

I'd love to hear some more evidence. It's a cool idea but seems like it'd fit a supplemental set better.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
If you are a MTG newbie, MTGA is an excellent starting point (and cheaper compared to MTG Online). MTGO is better if you want to play Modern, but has a higher price of entry. I don't know if it's the defacto, maybe someone here can answer that for you.
I recommend waiting for M20 to be released on MTGA, I'm sure they will add new bundles for new players, save your wildcards and just get a feel with the starter decks to see what you like.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you, but do is there a quote from maro on him wanting to do it? Mainly to send to my friends if they don't believe me :P

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
arena is a good and (relatively) cheap way to play standard. for someone just learning to play, it's not a bad investment. imo being a pay-to-play player has two ways to go: drafting or deck building. buying entry to draft events ultimately gives you more cards for a collection. the drawbacks are you'll be limited to a single set for a lengthy period of time and will accumulate wildcards slower. buying packs is how you build a specific deck as quickly - though expensive - as possible due to more choice over what sets you open, as well as making faster progress towards wildcards.

do note that packs stop giving you duplicate rares after you have a full set of 4, so packs should only be opened after you feel you're done drafting a set and/or need the wildcards.

Oct 25, 2017
If they're doing a D&D theme set, then they need to do a supplemental Planechase type of product as well so you can do adventures together. Or, maybe you cross Planechase with Archenemy where the Archenemy is the DM and the Planes/Schemes are more about telling a story than just being an end boss.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Historic sounds fine for Arena but I don't think will be any good in paper at all. I don't see anyone playing that over Standard or Modern.
Pauper being sanctioned seems cool though. I was thinking about trying Pauper at some point soon anyway so this seems like a good excuse. I feel like I should play at least one non-singleton format lol

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Look how busted Esper midrange is just with RAV block cards. Deck is going nowhere anytime soon.

I think Gideon's Sacrifice is my favorite event so far. 155 wins and counting

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I could definitely see a situation where, post-rotation, 2-color decks see a surge and control decks are forced to cut down to WU or UB to keep from getting run over. Kaya's Wrath also gets a lot worse when you can't consistently cast it on turn 4.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DVu0rb.jpg

The greatest gift a black deck can give me... A turn 1 Nullhide.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find the MTG Arena client to crash a ton recently?

I've been losing a lot of matches where my client freezes for no reason. I wind up having to close the program, restart, hop in, hope I haven't roped out, etc.

This most recent one, I only survived Game 2 because they conceded while I was in that cycle.

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find the MTG Arena client to crash a ton recently?

I've been losing a lot of matches where my client freezes for no reason. I wind up having to close the program, restart, hop in, hope I haven't roped out, etc.

This most recent one, I only survived Game 2 because they conceded while I was in that cycle.

I've had it happen a few times but I can usually notice it and get back in time. What's a lot more frequent for me is sound bugs. Sometimes a sound effect will get stuck in a loop that persists even after the match is over.

Feb 16, 2018
starting with m20, magic online (not magic arena) is returning to offering the option to draft the newest set in-pod (aka playing against the same people you draft with)

$15 to play, but no prizes for 3rd-8th place. this is replacing the competitive leagues

it comes out to paying about $8 for 3 opened packs
there's basically no value in it, but it's kind of comparable to paper

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Last night I was in my first ever draft night with strangers. It was Dominaria and I went 2-0, 1-2, 2-1 with a janky WUB historic deck and it earned me third place. Traxos on Serra's wings sure was a bomb lol.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
starting with m20, magic online (not magic arena) is returning to offering the option to draft the newest set in-pod (aka playing against the same people you draft with)

$15 to play, but no prizes for 3rd-8th place. this is replacing the competitive leagues

it comes out to paying about $8 for 3 opened packs
there's basically no value in it, but it's kind of comparable to paper

Curious if those people will go to the friendly league or the draft queue. I welcome this change, but in my experience, it's pretty difficult to fill a queue even when it's vintage cube and this is a core set.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Random thought from someone who's been playing casually only for a few months:

I've been watching old product reviews on the Tolarian Community College youtube channel and I don't understand why Wizards discontinued the duel decks. To me two 60-card decks (which in some cases also featured planeswalkers) for 20$ in a single package seems like the best first purchase for a beginner. Also as a gift for somebody's kid, for instance. Means they can start playing with their parents or friends right off the bat. Sure, you could buy two planeswalker decks but it's gonna cost you more (although you get 4 boosters in that case, which means that you're not paying more for nothing). Right now it looks like the closest thing to a duel deck is the spellslinger starter kit (but apparently all the cards are totally worthless).

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Duel Decks were discontinued because of a mix of declining sale and a decision to focus on more Standard products. The reasons for the sales decline, IMO and in the opinion of the Professor, is a general decline in quality over time, but that's a different story entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.