• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Short packing Japanese planeswalker alts in the new promo packs. Oof. How many prerelease events can I get in I wonder?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
MaRo's article explains drafts are based on wedge colors, focused on the ally colors. That is to say white and blue are focusing on flying creatures, with red as additional support (seen with Flame Sweep).
I have a cube that I designed with a similar method and it worked out well there, so I'm hopeful that the draft format will actually be interesting (for a core set).

So likely another set of allied rare lands, huh? (if we get any at all)
I don't expect any rare duals in the core sets going forward. Core sets are the sets in standard for the shortest amount of time, so they're the worst place to put mana base cards. I expect to mainly get duals in the fall sets and then in one of the two following sets.

I do expect them to print the common dual lands randomly in the land slot for all core sets going forward just like with M19 as a way to keep them in standard perpetually.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a cube that I designed with a similar method and it worked out well there, so I'm hopeful that the draft format will actually be interesting (for a core set).

I don't expect any rare duals in the core sets going forward. Core sets are the sets in standard for the shortest amount of time, so they're the worst place to put mana base cards. I expect to mainly get duals in the fall sets and then in one of the two following sets.

I do expect them to print the common dual lands randomly in the land slot for all core sets going forward just like with M19 as a way to keep them in standard perpetually.

That makes sense. You're no doubt right.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like they're the perfect spot for enemy fetchlands.

Empyrean Eagle; Ajani, Strength of the Pride
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, our Discord is on semi-lockdown due to people from Old GAF attacking other Era Discord servers. New members can't read message history. We'll lift that restriction once the threat ends.

image0.jpg

A lot of people are eyeing this for cubes.

egVgLwr.png

LOL at it actually creating Ajani's Pridemate tokens. That's an interesting "ultimate" design.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if life gain will ever be standard viable. Seems like they push it enough for it to be super casual but never enough for it to be good.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you right now that Bolas's Citadel in EDH is a fucking nightmare for people if it resolves in the right deck. If you can make that work in Standard I might have to build a deck and play some matches.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Much better than homarid explorer tbh. This is a solid limited card.
It's fine, I guess, it's just not something I'd throw on a graphic. I'd probably drip this one out with no fanfare. It feels like someone was just excited about the name and they gave it a preview slot because of that.

Feb 16, 2018
cloudreader sphinx was one of the most fun cards to play in recent times

card is hype, even if it ends up that 3/3 ground creature is bad in limited

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D9R_r8oXUAUHX9K

Shocked to see this, since it's been forever and a half since this was in Standard instead of Naturalize.
I was going to say that it's been since Masques in 1999, but I forgot that it was a Timeshifted card in Time Spiral
Wonder if they have decided that this should exist and not Naturalize for the foreseable future, or if this is a fun one-of

Oct 28, 2017
D9SFHlDWsAIX7p2.png:large

Interesting design.

D9SGEm4WsAIIAM7.png:large

Might be too expensive

I've no idea what's going on in the art for Kykar, but it seems pretty good. Definitely some interesting design space to play around with there. In fact, I was kind of thinking about a Jeskai wheels deck for EDH and this card would be pretty damn good for it.

I was going to say that it's been since Masques in 1999, but I forgot that it was a Timeshifted card in Time Spiral
Wonder if they have decided that this should exist and not Naturalize for the foreseable future, or if this is a fun one-of

We do have Return to Nature already for green, so maybe they just felt Naturalize would be pointless.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D9SLrF_XYAAx-qr.png

I'm going to guess we get a Leyline in each color
The big question is if Leyline of the Void is back again, or if they create a new black one

Infuriate; Aether Gust; Loxodon Lifechanter; Risen Reef
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with the fancy frame on these guys? Are these promos and packs will contain normal versions? Did WotC just decide to pimp out random uncommons?
That's a promo, yes. Booster packs will be the normal frame.

7adcqfa3qy431.jpg

That flavor text.

unknown.png

This seems pretty strong. Can delay Carnage Tyrant.

da94hs8jty431.png

When it enters the battlefield, you may make your life the total toughness of all creatures you control.

5W: +X/+X until end of turn where X is your life total

g0kww5zovy431.png

Turns all your elementals into Coiling Oracle. Pretty strong.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The odds of having leyline in your opener goes down the less copies you run but it's a truly abysmal card to have 2 of. Hopefully if there's more they aren't all binary effects, or that there's a lot of looting and rummaging going on to ditch unwanted extras for easy value.

Risen reef might give bolas' citadel combo some life post explore package rotation since going off requires you to be able to chew through lands on the top.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The odds of having leyline in your opener goes down the less copies you run but it's a truly abysmal card to have 2 of. Hopefully if there's more they aren't all binary effects, or that there's a lot of looting and rummaging going on to ditch unwanted extras for easy value.

Risen reef might give bolas' citadel combo some life post explore package rotation since going off requires you to be able to chew through lands on the top.
Don't you still need something that gives you massive lifegain? That's like half the deal with the Citadel/Explore pakacge so you don't die after playing 5 cards lol.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised leylines are back right as london is going in place. I highly doubt it'll break anything, prolly just one of those fun coincidences.

Sanctity is totally the kind of thing I'd board in 4 out of frustration.

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting spoilers so far. Disenchant, Thrashing Brontodon, Leylines... looks like they're printing some pushed artifacts and enchantments. Not seeing too much yet that'll shake up the constructed meta.

I've had a real hard time finding my footing this season in Mythic, but after making a few changes to Bant Ramp I've pushed from 93% all the way to #243. Really liking this build https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2012662#arena

Oct 28, 2017
Some interesting spoilers so far. Disenchant, Thrashing Brontodon, Leylines... looks like they're printing some pushed artifacts and enchantments. Not seeing too much yet that'll shake up the constructed meta.

I've had a real hard time finding my footing this season in Mythic, but after making a few changes to Bant Ramp I've pushed from 93% all the way to #243. Really liking this build https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2012662#arena

How does Immortal Sun work here?

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
How does Immortal Sun work here?
Very well actually. All of its abilities are strong even with the nonbo; if you can stabilize with it, it usually just wins the game. Nissa and Teferi still provide a lot of value with their statics compared to other planeswalkers and it helps you find a big Jellyfish or just beat down with +1/+1 creatures.

It's also maybe the best card in the deck against Esper Control, which can be a bit of a bad matchup. A lot of list don't run many Despark which is their only removal for it once it hits the battlefield.

Sep 14, 2018
Who chooses top or bottom for Aether Gust?

The owner.

Sign me up for Leylines, I'd like Anticipation that's specifically worded to nullify Teferi. I don't know how that would go, "this ability can't be disabled"?

I see color hosing, I wonder what they're planning for... that card isn't good enough, was Flashfreeze too much to ask?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The owner.

Sign me up for Leylines, I'd like Anticipation that's specifically worded to nullify Teferi. I don't know how that would go, "this ability can't be disabled"?

I see color hosing, I wonder what they're planning for... that card isn't good enough, was Flashfreeze too much to ask?
Carnage Tyrant can't be countered, so Flashfreeze wouldn't work on that. This does.

Sep 14, 2018
Unsubstantiating uncounterable spells is why I play MtG, no need to sell me, I'd board that in vs new Chandra. And it's nice that it can bounce permanents too. I appreciate control tools that are playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.