• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
EDH is a casual format. If your friends are comboing out on turn two you can tell them to stop. If strangers are combing out on turn two you can tell them to stop. If you're entering a EDH side-tournament at a GP or something with prize support...well you're asking to get comboed out on turn two and don't get to complain. I have EDH decks I built back during Shard of Alara that I've barely tweaked since then and I still can play them sans issue. The only reason EDH should be "hard" to build is if you let it be that way. As such, to me, it doesn't feel like Brawl is solving a problem that gentleman's agreements can't solve.
the gentleman's agreement is dependent on the playgroup and through tools like edhrec and content creators the overall deck quality of EDH decks has improved massively. Most decks aren't even close to cEDH level but they are full of interaction and often some form of combo to be able to end games.
It's gotten to a point I am somewhat depowering my decks deliberately but also getting frustrated by many in my playgroup not following suit.

Brawl offers a clean slate like a new modern means a clean slate for eternal competitive constructed. No need for a gentleman's agreement to leave out most of the busted shit it will just not be available to anyone. But then again I'm not gonna build a deck to lose a portion of it 12 months later.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Probably the biggest problem I have with Brawl is that I've yet to see a Brawl deck that really feels like it has "personality" in the way EDH decks often do. I guess that's a mixed blessing, though; it's hard to actually get attached enough to any of these piles to care that much when they die on rotation.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
Probably the biggest problem I have with Brawl is that I've yet to see a Brawl deck.
Fixed that for you!

Seriously though, my almost exclusively Commander play group should be ripe for at least some brawl testing. We all have a bunch of decks, draft and do sealed events occasionally and like brewing. The idea of being able to use the extra cards we pick up along the way should be an easy sell even if it's just a one-off. I mean, the group is already well on its way to have the occasional Oathbreaker night. In my groups case I do think rotation is what kills it. No one wants to spend money brewing a deck they will eventually not be able to play.

I'd personally be all for trying it out, considering all the other junk we do for game nights as a group we could all throw $20 at a deck and put something together.

Oct 28, 2017
arcanistlupus asked: While I'm excited for the Showcases, I'm worried because the Amonkhet Invocations were nigh unreadable. Please don't do that again, okay? (Also, could you ask the Gatherer people to make it so that the Invocations aren't the default form of the card shown, even if that's the most recent version? Thanks)
All showcase cards will be legible. : )
Note that the Amonkhet Invocations were meant to be read as hieroglyphics and not English and the discovery that they were secretly in English was meant to be an Easter Egg

Really? Because they're obviously still English. How could that be an Easter Egg? It takes 10 seconds to realize that (which is the problem).

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iSpl9e.jpg

YEAH I DID IT WITH MY HOMEBREW

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucked around with Scapeshift (Bant ed.) a bit last night, after balking on crafting it all week for silly reasons (didn't have the 4 Fields or 4 Shifts, was being cheap re: WCs).

It's not dummy-proof but it's stupid resilient. It's not a combo deck. It's grindy inevitability deck with a win-now combo. Once 1-2 Fields are down, every land is a topdeck.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure! These are the changes that helped me break out of Diamond and into Mythic:

- Went ahead and took Nissa out. She's an amazing card but she doesn't synergize with the deck. can't be made cheaper by Marauding Raptor, can't trigger Enrage effects, and losing lands is risky with how much the deck depends on tossing out dinos every turn

-Relegated the two flame sweeps to the sideboard, they're nice for mass enrage but 2 damage is really only good for clearing Scapeshift decks, white weenies, etc. Still useful, but sideboard material

That's what I took out

What I put in in intheir place:

-Moved 2 domri's ambushes from Sideboard to Main. It's a great card, cuz even though it doesn't trigger enrage, it does let you snipe planeswalkers and assassinate targets without damaging your creatures. Being able to snipe a Teferi or enemy Nissa off the field with a Ripjaw Raptor is super useful, and it's so cheap that you can bait counterspells, then drop it

-Moved 2 Collision/Colossus to Main deck. Same thing. Super good against the Simic Flash and Counter meta. Attack with creatures, they Flash down a Nightpack Ambusher or something else to block, then overrun it. Also synergizes well with Enrage, because it lets you toughen up those Ranging Raptors into a beefy 6/5 for a turn with Trample

Basically, less Nissa and AoE, more combat tricks. Then you can swap in the Flame Sweeps as needed, potentially even having 4 in the sideboard

ELD - Brawl decks; Arcane Signet; Chulane, Teller of Tales

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl decks- they are modeling them after commander decks. Contain cards that aren't found in draft boosters, but can appear in collectors boosters. The goal is to make them cards that Brawl and Commander players like but won't see standard play. They also intend to use these to fill holes, like getting a legend of a specific color into a set even if there is no place in the normal set for it

They also realize they botched the launch of Brawl due to Baral and the fact that they weren't doing anything to directly support it. Brawl is going to recieve support going forward

cb5ts0SCLF.png
WVm8gjWpYu.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The article mentions that the intention of the original Brawl announcement was just to get people to test it out, and they were surprised when people wanted official support. They started the process of supporting it when people asked, but not before.

I'm not fully on board with the previous simplicity of cards in booster packs = cards in sets being pushed so far... though wait, I suppose those new premium boosters makes that more true than it was before.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Up to 95% Mythic. This is the most fun I've ever had with a deck. Sad so much of it will rotate in autumn.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I mean as the format made its debut. Did they not do any internal testing at all?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
No, of course not. It's a singleton format. There's a reason Wizards doesn't bother with the EDH banlist.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, of course not. It's a singleton format. There's a reason Wizards doesn't bother with the EDH banlist.
I agree with you about EDH. I don't expect or want them to regulate or support that any more than they already do. There's a difference between a format that started as a fan-made variant and something Wizards created and was pushing officially though.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
What cards do you think were the plants for Brawl? Exactly the same as the EDH ones? I really don't see Brawl running a 5c deck on standard mana. Even a 3 colour one would be pain on just a couple of mana rocks, a shockland, like 2-3 CIPT duals (guildgates, lifegain, scry), a filter land or two and whatever comes in Eldraine.

Oct 28, 2017
What cards do you think were the plants for Brawl? Exactly the same as the EDH ones? I really don't see Brawl running a 5c deck on standard mana. Even a 3 colour one would be pain on just a couple of mana rocks, a shockland, like 2-3 CIPT duals (guildgates, lifegain, scry), a filter land or two and whatever comes in Eldraine.

Golos for sure. Solves that exact problem and might even be pretty fun.

So can we safely presume the Brawl decks are all Shards except for Naya, which is why the M20 box topper was Rienne?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Golos for sure. Solves that exact problem and might even be pretty fun.

So can we safely presume the Brawl decks are all Shards except for Naya, which is why the M20 box topper was Rienne?

That's what I'm assuming. They sort of hamstrung themselves by going with four Brawl decks, since you can never complete a cycle there and will have to jam in the fifth combination somewhere else.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Brawl decks- they are modeling them after commander decks. Contain cards that aren't found in draft boosters, but can appear in collectors boosters. The goal is to make them cards that Brawl and Commander players like but won't see standard play. They also intend to use these to fill holes, like getting a legend of a specific color into a set even if there is no place in the normal set for it

They also realize they botched the launch of Brawl due to Baral and the fact that they weren't doing anything to directly support it. Brawl is going to recieve support going forward

cb5ts0SCLF.png
WVm8gjWpYu.png
This signet is fucked up. I bet it's gonna be expensive. I need 10

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All I want right now is spoilers. Gimme some new cards to digest. They got us so used to constant stimulus and now they're just shutting us out cold turkey and I don't like it haha

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, throne of Eldraine looks fucking awesome. Im sooooooo ready to see where they take it with a top down approach. They knocked it out of the park with Innistrad, here's hoping they're just as successful here

Oct 28, 2017
There's no reasoning with an addict lol

I know I know. I'm just apprehensive about the new set. The actual flavor is kinda corny to me but people seem pumped on it, so I'm just hoping the cards are good.

When I was younger playing I never cared for themes. This is the first set I've been back for (since I started buying my own cards again at least) with a really strong theme and I'm a little excited. I was impressed with storytelling through cards in War and I'd like to see it in a contained environment like this.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When I was younger playing I never cared for themes. This is the first set I've been back for (since I started buying my own cards again at least) with a really strong theme and I'm a little excited. I was impressed with storytelling through cards in War and I'd like to see it in a contained environment like this.
I feel like Magic is at its best when it's doing its own thing, and this feels like Arabian Nights all over again except this time they were smart enough to change the names. To your point, I loved the theme in Innistrad, and War is cool. I like the story and narrative in Magic (very much for what it is) but I like when it's a little less... I dunno, I guess on the nose. We literally have a Goldielocks analog, and a Gingerbread man, and a house made of candy and a lady in the lake and the little mermaid... there's a Big Bad Wolf for chrissakes. I could go on. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, it's just not doing it for me.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Magic is at its best when it's doing its own thing, and this feels like Arabian Nights all over again except this time they were smart enough to change the names. To your point, I loved the theme in Innistrad, and War is cool. I like the story and narrative in Magic (very much for what it is) but I like when it's a little less... I dunno, I guess on the nose. We literally have a Goldielocks analog, and a Gingerbread man, and a house made of candy and a lady in the lake and the little mermaid... there's a Big Bad Wolf for chrissakes. I could go on. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, it's just not doing it for me.

I can see your point. Arabian Knights was a failure as was something like Amonkhet. But I feel this one could be different as it's a bit more fantasy. I don't think you're wrong to be apprehensive though.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Arabian Nights and Amonkhet did fine, as far as I can tell. The former's only issues are being old school Magic and being directly based on another IP.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Arabian Nights and Amonkhet did fine, as far as I can tell. The former's only issues are being old school Magic and being directly based on another IP.
I don't mean sales wise, I mean in lore and style. I like the unique parts of Magic's lore. Most things that feel like direct real world analogues always fall flat for me. I can see I'm quite in the minority on this though.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder if they're going to be smart enough to have Arena redemption codes packed with the Brawl decks. I'm kind of doubting it, since they've been weirdly reticent about linking (actual) digital value to physical products outside of the basically-worthless Planeswalker Decks.

They really need to, though. That's their best shot to both dupe people into having a paper Brawl deck and promoting the existence of Brawl on Arena.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they're going to be smart enough to have Arena redemption codes packed with the Brawl decks. I'm kind of doubting it, since they've been weirdly reticent about linking (actual) digital value to physical products outside of the basically-worthless Planeswalker Decks.

They really need to, though. That's their best shot to both dupe people into having a paper Brawl deck and promoting the existence of Brawl on Arena.

I'm pretty sure I read something that strongly implied they would.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read something that strongly implied they would.

Hopefully. From the initial look there's a decent chance these are going to sell to Commander players looking to scrap them for parts, and if they got an Arena code for the deck they might actually go on there and try Brawl on a lark.

That's probably the best place Wizards can hope to position Brawl at: a thing Commander players casually play on Arena because it's faster/more convenient than getting a Commander game assembled.

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully. From the initial look there's a decent chance these are going to sell to Commander players looking to scrap them for parts, and if they got an Arena code for the deck they might actually go on there and try Brawl on a lark.

That's probably the best place Wizards can hope to position Brawl at: a thing Commander players casually play on Arena because it's faster/more convenient than getting a Commander game assembled.

Yup. I know that's why I'll be playing it there. But that's probably good for them. I can see myself buying a deck to immediately pull apart and then playing on Arena.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter Seven
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter Seven
* This is actually from last week; there wasn't a chapter this week.
* Vraska leads an army of Golgari zombies, giant insects, and trolls through the sewers to attack Orzhov HQ, alongside Ral Zerek, Kaya, and Hekara. This is a distraction so Kaya can kill the Ghost Council.
* Orzhov fights back with knights and thrulls, including an archer with arrows that prevent regeneration, killing the trolls. Hekara kills that archer.
* Ral and Hekara make their escape on a cloud powered airship piloted by a goblin working for Ral.
* Kaya has a neat fight against some giants.
* When she finally reaches the Ghost Council, they ignore her and keep reading their ledgers, until she kills a few of them. Still, it happens too quickly for them to react. As she kills them, she feels heavier for some reason.
* The only one left is Karlov, who figures out that Teysa is the one behind this. He tells her that Teysa is not to be trusted. Kaya says she's leaving as soon as she's done, which he raises an eyebrow at as she kills him. Thanks to the WAR novel, we know that killing these ghosts weighed Kaya down with all of their contracts, which prevents her from planeswalking away.

Magic is doing really well, with Modern Horizon's success highlighted in particular. Arena's introduction has actually led to an increase in paper product sales.

On how a Fairy Tale / Camelot world came to be

studiodiemwing asked: Did any development or world building happen in the 7(?) years before Eldraine went to Vision Design, or have you just been saying "Hey, this is a good idea for a world!" for all that time?
I just kept suggesting it and was told, "What else you got?"
Then Shawn Main pitched a Camelot inspired world and I said I don't think there's enough to flesh out a whole set, but I had an idea we could combine with it.

July 24, 2019

radioactivestardust asked: Camelot doesn't have enough material for a set on its own? There's almost 1000 years of literature set in that world. How can there not be enough?
The issue was the trope space wasn't deep enough. If you write every trope a wider audience would know about Camelot, it isn't a particularly long list.
Also, Magic has done so much high fantasy over the years, it doesn't read as something new. Adding in the fairy tale elements creates a world unlike anything we've done before.

July 25, 2019

erfunk asked: Speaking of Camelot trope space, are things away from Camelot itself like Arthur's conquest of Rome or even pre-Arthur events related to Uther too esoteric? Having played the Pendragon role-playing campaign with some friends, my perspective on what's common knowledge is shot.
Research showed most people have no idea who the Green Knight is, so it's not super deep.

July 25, 2019

New video going over the colors of Magic

And it's been a couple weeks, but Destroy All Humanity, It Can't Be Regenerated chapter 8 came out and... it ends with a timeskip to when they're adults, after 1999, and definitely after Urza's Saga, which one person in the chat was looking forward to. Well, it's almost definitely going to jump back to the "present" of the 90's, but I found it funny that it seemed to skip right over Urza's Saga. In any case, a good chunk of the chapter is taken up by Unglued, which was fun to see. The rest of the chapter was good too, though I've seen this fireworks scene pretty often.
unknown.png

Thone of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest ad
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
People on Arena are getting ads for the Throne of Eldraine novel.
TiGs5KO.png

September 4 release, $3.99, eBook only. I suppose WAR was meant to be the only set to get physical books. The author is the one who wrote the Bolas stories for M19, which were pretty good. Though if you have a distaste for the plot point of Bolas and Ugin being twins, she's the one who created it.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm new to Magic but some people in my office suggested we should start playing.

So I went to support my local card game store this evening and I got the 2020 Core Spellslinger set. They suggested it cause it would teach me how to play, and it would give me two decks if someone else wants to also learn.

I figure the decks themselves are probably not that great, but I'm not playing competitive. Just playing some people from my dev team. If we get super into the guy at the game store said to come back and they could steer me where to to next.

Plus if I like it I might go back and get some card holders if I start buying more cards.

Sep 14, 2018
Vanillalite I think you might find it more interesting with more moderately competitive and synergistic stuff like the challenger decks, I think that's where the store people would point you next. Anyway, magic is fun, good luck!

Today I found out there's a mythic championship this weekend whatever that is, just knowing that UW is well positioned makes me interested, I can't wait to see the successful builds, hopefully people are back to 4x Terminus, fair decks need blowouts too I say.

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
Looking at software tools for MTG Arena and I've come across a few (Untapped.gg, MTGA Pro Tracker, and MTG Arena Tools). Not sure which one is the best.

Which, if any, do you guys use and prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.