• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to seeing how this system works for the seven months before they overhaul it again.
At a glance, assuming that Arena doesn't have a sudden downturn, actually seems like a way better implamentation of what they were trying
-The Arena events are smaller so they can have better production values
-There is a clear path in (and out!) of the MPL
-There is something for the 33rd best player in the world (the Rivals League) that there wasn't in the all-or-nothing MPL last year
-There are more high level Paper events that they will presumably be streaming, that once again allow you to grind into or show up as a Hall of Famer (ie, will have more varied faces)
-The "real" money is in Arena, while a person who only wants to do paper can still exist

They are going to need to factor in some stuff like cheating and heated gamer moments that led to multiple people getting kicked out of MPL this year, but on the whole, even though I don't fully understand it yet, it seems way more thought out than the thrown together version last year

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I think they could still do some work on open Mtgo like events on arena to qualify through rather than a ladder grind. Overall it seems positive as long as the paper PTs are run effectively, as it stands it seems like an increase in support so we'll see if they put in the resources required.

Feb 16, 2018
it seems to be an improvement, but i'd prefer to just have some standalone stuff in-client that's more competitive than ladder

imo that would do 1000x more for true competition than some convoluted qualifier for qualifier for qualifier for qualifier system that they concocted

all the focus is on some high-level events that maybe 50-500 people can play in, but all they have for the other 1 million people is ladder grinding

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the point of the mythic championship and how it feeds into anything. At least with the old structure it was pretty straightforward:
PTQ/GP -> PT -> WC
Nationals/WMCQ -> WMC

I continue to not care about the mythic championship.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
In general you're going to always get a better deal buying singles unless you're getting some added value out of packs (draft use, opening for your bizarrely successful YouTube channel, etc.). If that wasn't the case, stores would just be opening the packs themselves instead of selling them until it became the case.

Pretty much the only exception to that has been Commander precons, and even then it can take a few years for them to trump MSRP.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah, if you want specific cards, buying the singles is always better than playing the booster lottery

I personally like cracking packs just for the fun of it so I've wound up buying a bundle and the theme boosters for the sets that have come out since I started back into things

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for all the replies. As my friends and I are still trying to build a collection (and we really don't know what all the good cards are anyway or what colors we will concentrate on), we'll probably stick to buying boosters/themed stuff to round out our collection.

I'm also trying to save some money and just go all-in with the Throne expansion (prerelease kit; 10 pack bundle; maybe even a booster box).

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. As my friends and I are still trying to build a collection (and we really don't know what all the good cards are anyway or what colors we will concentrate on), we'll probably stick to buying boosters/themed stuff to round out our collection.

I'm also trying to save some money and just go all-in with the Throne expansion (prerelease kit; 10 pack bundle; maybe even a booster box).
It's your money but just keep in mind that you will never use 99% of the cards you will open, it really is burned cash but I understand the temptation for someone new to the game.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's your money but just keep in mind that you will never use 99% of the cards you will open, it really is burned cash but I understand the temptation for someone new to the game.
Yeah, that's for sure. And I appreciate the advice.

Four of us are getting into the game and we are trying to pick different main colors to build around with a free for all with the secondary and tertiary colors. So at least when we crack packs the cards can be shared...plus, outside my aspirations of FNM tourney play, everyone else is going to be pretty casual. The B/R challenger deck I bought has already been banned from kitchen table play. lol

Oct 28, 2017

Four of us are getting into the game and we are trying to pick different main colors to build around with a free for all with the secondary and tertiary colors. So at least when we crack packs the cards can be shared...plus, outside my aspirations of FNM tourney play, everyone else is going to be pretty casual. The B/R challenger deck I bought has already been banned from kitchen table play. lol

Drafting might be a great way to pick up some new cards you need.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds like the kind of group the commander precons are designed for

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Zedruu is so much fun in Commander. Decided to shy away from the pillowfort+enchantment removal angle and just go all in on donation spells/creatures with a couple of wincons for kicks (Lab Man, Hoofprints of the Stag). All the enchantments did for me was draw hate and make people lock me out of the game; I like the chaos angle more.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the guys at MTGO didn't insist on keeping fucking Kamigawa in Chaos Draft. I understand you don't want to add too many Modern Masters for balancing reasons, but opening or getting passed Kamigawa early is such feelbads. All these fucking cards need spirit/arcane to do anything. And who's nostalgic for Kamigawa? No one!

Same with Mirrodon, but at least that one has some decent equipment. I'd still purge it though but you all know how much I hate Mirrodin.

Ringo

Oct 30, 2017
I wish the guys at MTGO didn't insist on keeping fucking Kamigawa in Chaos Draft. I understand you don't want to add too many Modern Masters for balancing reasons, but opening or getting passed Kamigawa early is such feelbads. All these fucking cards need spirit/arcane to do anything. And who's nostalgic for Kamigawa? No one!

Same with Mirrodon, but at least that one has some decent equipment. I'd still purge it though but you all know how much I hate Mirrodin.

I'm nostalgic for Kamigawa. It had its problems but I liked it a lot. The flavor was great, but Jitte was dumb.

Oct 25, 2017

That's insane. Note the section on Faithless Looting. Banning it would have a negligible statistical impact on the deck's ability to cast Turn 2 Hogaak. That's crazy. The card you have to ban if you really don't want to ban Hogaak is Stitcher's Supplier, but how long before another, similar card gets printed?

I really (really) hope I'm wrong, and that Wizards actually bans their shiny new card.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

That's insane. Note the section on Faithless Looting. Banning it would have a negligible statistical impact on the deck's ability to cast Turn 2 Hogaak. That's crazy. The card you have to ban if you really don't want to ban Hogaak is Stitcher's Supplier, but how long before another, similar card gets printed?

I really (really) hope I'm wrong, and that Wizards actually bans their shiny new card.

There are several cards that let you mill yourself up to 5 (probably more?) for a single mana, between spells and creatures like the crab. If they think Stitcher's Supplier needs to get the ban instead so their new toy can survive, it will take less than 5 minutes to find a replacement. And of course WOTC will look like absolute asses.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry, Hogaak is getting the axe. The only questions are if they chose to also axe Faithless Looting and Anceint Stirrings at the same time, and if they decide to unban Bridge from Below (because clearly, that wasn't the problem card). My guess is it's just Hogaak at this point, though Faithless Looting's days are numbered, and I can't imagine Ancient Stirrings continuing to exist in the London Mulligan world

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The funny thing about Hogaak is that none of these cards are operating outside of their most obvious intended use cases, nor are any of the cards particularly unexpected inclusions in the deck. It's all extremely obvious and working exactly as intended, so... how did it slide through testing?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
There are several cards that let you mill yourself up to 5 (probably more?) for a single mana, between spells and creatures like the crab. If they think Stitcher's Supplier needs to get the ban instead so their new toy can survive, it will take less than 5 minutes to find a replacement. And of course WOTC will look like absolute asses.
the issue with hedron crab and insolent neonate is that they don't convoke hogaak however.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish I kept all my old cards. Just saw a video of Rudy and Rhystic Study, a common, is a $15-20 card. That's insane. Reminds me of Daze except that was actually a playable card (it's now $2). I don't know how much I had but I drafted Mercadian Masques a lot. Mourn me.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I purged my old collection back in the day too. It was 4th edition, Ice Age and Mirage stuff mostly, so nothing super expensive. Not that I'd remember what I had anyway.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Enlightened Tutor is $27, Worldy Tutor is $17, both uncommons. Strip Mine (uncommon) is $18 and Mystic Remora (common) is almost $5.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I remember having the Remora for sure (and never played it ofc). But I mean, I can live with the knowledge of trashing cards worth maybe 50 euros total max.

Oct 28, 2017
Man I wish I kept all my old cards. Just saw a video of Rudy and Rhystic Study, a common, is a $15-20 card. That's insane. Reminds me of Daze except that was actually a playable card (it's now $2). I don't know how much I had but I drafted Mercadian Masques a lot. Mourn me.

Yeah I had a ton of Masques as well. No idea what happened to that. Probably trashed. I was in 6th grade.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN

That was the craziest thing about coming back after 15 years, all that Prophecy I opened for Winds and Avatars left me with six regular and one foil RS. Dime a dozen back then.

Darien, King of Kjeldor is my new EDH bae. Mono white has decent ramp/draw options now so my Soldier tribal dream is finally coming true. Can't wait to pull a surprise Sivvi's Valor to cut a deal and make an army with Soul Sisters backup.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The first 2 chapters of the Throne of Eldraine book have been released.

* The story starts with a fey planeswalker named Oko having encased Garruk in vines, after he attacked him for no reason.
* Oko isn't from Eldraine, with the narration saying they are in a pleasant forest on a plane whose name he didn't know.
* Oko is a shapeshifter; he was originally surprised by Garruk and injured, but transformed into a stag to run away.
* Oko recognizes the hedron embedded into Garruk's back (placed there by you the player in Duels of the Planeswalkers) and is surprised he'd have one.
* Garruk attacked him because he's a planeswalker, and once he kills all planeswalkers, they'll stop bothering him.
* Seeing that Garruk's curse is corrupting the vines, and hearing Garruk say he'll track him down anywhere, Oko decides to use a mind control spell on him.
* Garruk is unexpectedly willing to be set free from his quest and doesn't resist. Garruk never gave his name, so Oko decides to call him Dog.
* He decides to take Garruk on his quest to "seek rule-bound tyrants to overthrow, pious frauds and smug deceivers to unmask, and hypocritical liars to expose." If a few planeswalkers decide to interfere with him bettering everyone's lives, he'll leave that to Garruk.

* Rowan Kenrith is waiting for her brother Will, as the High King's Grand Procession is about to leave to tour the five courts of the Realm.
* Rowan (and thus Will) are stuck riding ponies, as they aren't yet 18. Nor are they allowed to go on quests on their own yet. They are four months from when they can go on a quest, which means they're probably 17 years and 8 months old.
* Rowan's friend, Cerise, has turned 18 and is about to go off on her first quest. She's a healer with a unicorn friend. She hasn't seen Will.
* Rowan goes looking for Will.

I get the feeling that Battlebond is chronologically after this.
Oko seems like he'd be green-white-blue, but others think he might be black-green.

Status
Not open for further replies.