• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frame is definitely a bit odd for Adventures. Better than Aftermath, but not that much better, and they do have the issue here where it's not obvious which comes "first."

I think the usual split frame, or even the Kamigawa block flip cards, would have worked better here. Or even one text block stacked on the other. But I guess that would make the storybook look harder to pull off.

The Wildered Quest spoilers
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Frame is definitely a bit odd for Adventures. Better than Aftermath, but not that much better, and they do have the issue here where it's not obvious which comes "first."
It's the "first page" though. You start the story there, then you can go to the next page with the creature. Or skip to the end like a heathen.

Book spoilers
For the thing people probably care most about, regarding Garruk
Garruk is cured of his curse by the Holy Grail, and devotes himself to protecting Rowan and Will in gratitude.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the "first page" though. You start the story there, then you can go to the next page with the creature. Or skip to the end like a heathen.

Yeah, well when the start of the story has a CMC of 7 and just skipping to the part where Goldilocks comes home only costs one mana... well, it's not a great book I guess!

In general I agree, but in that case the "first page" should clearly be primary on the card and the creature half should be the smaller part. But of course creatures take up a lot more real estate with subtypes and P/T and all that... so there's no perfect fit.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I like the 1R 2/1 that's also R for destroy target artifact if you want it. Seems like an okay sideboard card if the meta dictates it.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the alternate arts/frames being used for spoilers, it's confusing and makes the normal cards look worse (which I guess is the point)

ELD - Heraldic Banner; Garruk, Cursed Huntsman
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

EDoPg7iXUAACgnr

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Album, not translated, has Food tokens

The food is well drawn but looks disgusting. So, appropriate.

Killing Fire - 2R
Instant
Deal 3 damage to any target. If you paid 3 or more red mana to cast this spell, it deals 4 damage to that target instead.

Pie Wrap - 2BB
Instant
Destroy target creature. Create a food token.

Beanstalk Giant - 6G
Creature - Giant
Beanstalk Giant's Power & Toughness are equal to the number of lands you control.
(Fertile Footprint - Sorcery - Adventure - 2G)
Search your library for a basic land, put it on to the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Holy Knight of Embereth - 3R
Creature - Human Knight
Haste
If you paid 3 or more red mana to cast Holy Knight of Embereth, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
4/1.

Silver Flame Ritual - 3W
Sorcery
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
If you paid 3 or more white mana to cast Silver Flame Ritual, creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was so close but so far with how Adventure works haha

This is a weird set so far.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how high prioritizing adventure creatures will be in draft? Most of them seem like decent bodies by themselves but do you take less regular creatures knowing that you have maybe 4-5 waiting for you in exile?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the spoilers so far - tons of really great flavor. I'm pretty godawful at evaluating cards, but Adventures essentially being card - neutral sorceries seems strong ish on the face of it, cost permitting.

The "Mana type matters" cards make a lot of sense in light of an oncoming Theros set.
Upcoming sets

Theros: Beyond Death
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Core Set 2021 - Focused on Teferi
Zendikar Rising
I'm very happy with all of this.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that Dominaria was such a predictably well received block... and instead more Zendikar. I was around for the first time, which was me playing Magic after a long hiatus, and it was fine (Jace bullshit aside). It was fine. I know they went back a second time. Now a third? I know development's done far in advance, thus why I note Dominaria being a smash success was so obvious.

I also prefer parking in a setting for the prior method of three full sets, because the decks feel less haphazard and more like they belong to a moment in time (e.g., "the ____ standard format"), but this is probably seen as an old man rant.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing that Dominaria was such a predictably well received block... and instead more Zendikar. I was around for the first time, which was me playing Magic after a long hiatus, and it was fine (Jace bullshit aside). It was fine. I know they went back a second time. Now a third? I know development's done far in advance, thus why I note Dominaria being a smash success was so obvious.

I also prefer parking in a setting for the prior method of three full sets, because the decks feel less haphazard and more like they belong to a moment in time (e.g., "the ____ standard format"), but this is probably seen as an old man rant.

WotC wants to redeem the Zendikar setting after fucking up so bad last time.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, these past two days are really wreaking havoc on the thread per set paradigm.

And my ability to comment on any one thing.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Trailer was mad corny, but the set reveals makes up for it. Glad those of us who called Theros coming soon were right.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Garruk isn't evil, Bolas has failed miserably and the Eldrazi Titans have been defeated, who will be the villains?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Now that Garruk isn't evil, Bolas has failed miserably and the Eldrazi Titans have been defeated, who will be the villains?
Phyrexians
The Raven Man
Tezzeret
Nahiri
Emrakul
Ashiok
Ob Nixilis
Someone related to Davriel and Worldsouls

I'm half expecting a League of Villainous Planeswalkers to form at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.