• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
fetchlands in zendikar rising?

normally i'd guess no, but there's some stuff to suggest otherwise:
  • shocklands rotate out exactly when that set comes out. coincidence?
  • basic land types on eldraine utility lands. coincidence?
  • some are $100. no reprints mentioned. last zendikar visit wasn't received so well. lands may be easy way to make the set "safe"
  • arena is "replacing" some of paper standard, so shuffling is less of an issue, especially if the primary concern was video coverage
  • mention of adding brainstorm in arena's silly legacy X standard mishmash format
  • keeping fetchlands out of future formats has less value if ArenaModern isn't paper-compatible (choosing to inject random cards instead of having a clean date cutoff). assumption is they don't want anything in paper between modern & standard for a very long time

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

• some are $100. no reprints mentioned. last zendikar visit wasn't received so well. lands may be easy way to make the set "safe"
  • arena is "replacing" some of paper standard, so shuffling is less of an issue, especially if the primary concern was video coverage
  • mention of adding brainstorm in arena's silly legacy X standard mishmash format
  • keeping fetchlands out of future formats has less value if ArenaModern isn't paper-compatible (choosing to inject random cards instead of having a clean date cutoff). assumption is they don't want anything in paper between modern & standard for a very long time
It's a good theory. I am all for it.

What's the consensus on arena now?
As an outside viewer, it seems like they take a few steps forward, then a few steps back every couple months. People seem real into it though.

Oct 28, 2017

Could be. I hope so.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

I only spent 20$ on it and can craft most competetive decks and have, have about 25 rare wildcards and 40k gold left, but I also do my Quests everyday.

My only problem right now is the format variety, but that is hopfully helped, with the arrival of Brawl and Historic.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
keeping fetchlands out of future formats has less value if ArenaModern isn't paper-compatible (choosing to inject random cards instead of having a clean date cutoff). assumption is they don't want anything in paper between modern & standard for a very long time

This is the only reason why I think they are in- I think the dream of Historic replacing Modern in a few years (with Modern moving to the 2010 Legacy spot) seems dead with the new random cards. They have only done random cards legal in a format like this on one occasion, which was the 10 Dual Lands staying legal in Extended even as Revised Rotated out

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Yeah, fetchable duals being out of Standard + going back to the fetchland plane + they want people to be excited about a plane that was shitty last time does seem like the perfect conditions for at least reprinting allied color Zendikar fetches. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if fetches are just deemed a supplemental-product-only type of card because of the shuffling and power level. They should reprint fetches though - even as someone who just bought his playset of Scalding Tarns. They're such an important part of eternal formats that they're always going to be desirable and worth something.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I think Historic might be better without adding in fetches, but otherwise it would be great to see fetches for Modern and Commander at least.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Enemy fetches need to be reprinted, and putting them in a Standard-legal set would certainly bring the price down, but I have zero interest in playing with them in Standard.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt fetches are in, since the last time such cards were reprinted it was in Masters set with boosters that cost 2 to 3 times as much as a Standard booster. If they're exclusive to the collector boosters they might as well not even bother.

If they're ever back to standard, I guess they'll make sure they're never together with fetchable duals so they can only be used with basics and mono utility lands.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I like it, as I only really enjoy Standard. I also play paper so it's not my main source of Magic action (and I refuse to pay for packs in Arena). Maybe if I could only play Arena I'd have a different opinion. Coming from years of Hearthstone, I'd say the UI isn't as good, but the rewards are much better.

I'm saving all my gold/crafting until ELD. I might be able to make a meta deck and finally start playing ranked.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm really digging the new set, though I am a bit of a Magic newbie. What's the general consensus on the cards so far from the old-timers?

Sep 14, 2018
I'm really digging the new set, though I am a bit of a Magic newbie. What's the general consensus on the cards so far from the old-timers?

Previews start officially on monday and last 2 weeks, it's hard to tell what the set will be like at the moment.

Personally it looks like a nothing burger to me but we haven't really seen much.

And I automatically like it less for adding even more 3cmc pws, it's time to stop wotc.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan

Not a true old timer but have been getting back into things over the last couple sets. Nothing very exciting yet, but we've seen ~20% of the cards. The 3 cmc planeswalkers seem playable to good, it seems like there's the beginnings of a GB(x) deck shaping up, and the art is nice at least. I'm not yet convinced that Adventure is going to be a big part of the meta outside of Limited, where it's probably great. Food tokens might be good if there are a lot of cards that do things with them other than gain life, similar to Gilded Goose and Savvy Hunter. Adamant doesn't seem like it will be worth building around if they keep the payoffs so small. Knight tribal in BWR will be a thing that people try to make happen. Too soon to say about anything though, really.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Note that a fair amount of people here are particularly looking for cards that will be strong against current popular cards. As someone who doesn't care about that, I've been digging the cards revealed so far.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
SubvertedTrope TAFAE SigmasonicX

I guess I like the theme/art so far. But you guys are right, with only 70 or so cards, it's not going to give a good picture atm. Maybe I'm just getting hyped by the newness of the set, and the owner at my local shop is really impressed so far--but that's his job to act as hype-man. lol

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
No new deck ideas yet, but that's to be expected with how few cards have been revealed thus far. I have, however, been given some good ideas on patching holes rotation is going to cause in some of my existing decks. Gilded Goose and Oko are going to go great in my Affinity deck. Although, as I said before, really hoping for a Food replacement for Treasure Map.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Im an old timer haha I'm not feeling this set much at all. It feels really flavorful so they nailed that objective, but distractingly so for me since I feel like Magic is at its best when the concepts hew more toward original ideas. This is Arabian Nights done "right" and I hate it. If feels so corny and unoriginal.

Outside of flavor, though, the cards revealed so far mostly feel dialed down in overall power level. If it stays that way I'll probably only pick up necessary singles for the eternal formats and EDH and stay away from sealed product.

I predict this will be a pretty popular set, despite my personal misgivings with it.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I had to look that up... looks cool, though I don't have/play many artifacts. I guess in the beginning players just stick to burn/permission/creatures...

If feels so corny and unoriginal.
Ouch! I like the Grimm/Camelot vibe... but that's probably my younger self who loved the fantasy genre.

So this may be opening a huge can of worms, but which are the best sets? The worst sets? A shop near me has booster boxes going back to Dissension and I was thinking about grabbing some older packs to check 'em out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch! I like the Grimm/Camelot vibe... but that's probably my younger self who loved the fantasy genre.
You really shouldn't feel bad about liking this set that people here don't like. It's purely a matter of opinion, not a maturity thing.

~~~

lyzzow asked: Does the monocolor theme of Eldraine (Adamant, Witch's Cottage) means there's no rare dual land cycle in the set?
There is not a rare dual land cycle although there is a rare land cycle. They'll appear in other sets.

September 06, 2019

studiodiemwing asked: Is Cleric considered a "spellcaster" type? Are Warlocks going to be primarily black in the same way that Clerics are primarily white? Also is it weird how people are freaking out over new creature types?
With Warlocks we now have five spellcaster creature types - Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Shaman and Druid. Magic likes having things that come in a set of five that can be connected to colors.

September 06, 2019

hermyxx asked: "Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Shaman and Druid" and their color ... So, if the types are more or less connected to a color, would they be, respectively, White, Blue, Black, Red, Green ? ^^ (I guess you put them in this order on purpose, just trying to be sure :) )
I did put them in that order on purpose.

September 06, 2019

papa-yawg asked: So now that Warlocks exist, do Wizards exist in Mono-Black anymore? Or Black in general? Or at just a highly reduced quantity?
They still do.

September 05, 2019

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
As someone who hates the Gatewatch superfriends arc and finds Ravnica immensely boring Throne of Eldraine has me the most excited of any set since I came back along with Modern Horizons. The flavor/setting are awesome and the new mechanics look fun. Tons of Commander buildarounds revealed. Brawl on Arena which is as close to EDH as we're going to get on that platform. The best art of any set since Innistrad. It looks awesome.

My only gripe so far is that dumbass toxic-masculinity-personified meathunk Garruk is back. What a terrible design for a character.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I suspect my distaste for the flavor will be the minority opinion haha please don't read into it more than that. Admittedly I dislike more things than I like.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look that up... looks cool, though I don't have/play many artifacts. I guess in the beginning players just stick to burn/permission/creatures...
I've always been a massive brewer. Never seen the point in building someone else's good decks when I can custom build my own fun decks then try and refine them into something viable without losing its spirit.

It's why I enjoy Arena so much. It's significantly easier to collect every card I need for a brew.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for this set, I'm not an urban fantasy fan and 3 sets of Ravnica really took it out of me. Core 2020 and Eldraine art are my jam, as is what appears to be a slightly lower power level than War of the Spark so far.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You really shouldn't feel bad about liking this set that people here don't like. It's purely a matter of opinion, not a maturity thing.
Fair point, and I didn't mean it disparagingly.

I've always been a massive brewer. Never seen the point in building someone else's good decks when I can custom build my own fun decks then try and refine them into something viable without losing its spirit.

It's why I enjoy Arena so much. It's significantly easier to collect every card I need for a brew.
In Heartstone, I was primarily a netdecker. In paper Magic, I have more fun playing janky decks I created. Though, I am going to netdeck at least one good deck for ELD in Arena. And I enjoy playing the preconstructed Arena decks with my minor adjustments.

I'm going to my first FNM tonight... never drafted before so I'm going to get crushed.

Another card question:
192640_200w.jpg

If I do not have the lands to sacrifice, is it illegal to play this card? I'm assuming so, as it does not state, "if able."

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
If you have one land and play Lotus Field, you would sacrifice Lotus Field and the other land, leaving you with no lands, so you're correct that you should always have two other lands to sac.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
If I do not have the lands to sacrifice, is it illegal to play this card? I'm assuming so, as it does not state, "if able."
if an effect like that is not worded as a cost, you do as much of it as possible
for example, if you mind rot a player with only one card in their hand, they'll discard one
if you play lotus field as your only land, you sacrifice as many lands as you can, which is just itself, but it's not illegal to play, it's just probably undesirable

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If you have one land and play Lotus Field, you would sacrifice Lotus Field and the other land, leaving you with no lands, so you're correct that you should always have two other lands to sac.
if an effect like that is not worded as a cost, you do as much of it as possible
for example, if you mind rot a player with only one card in their hand, they'll discard one
if you play lotus field as your only land, you sacrifice as many lands as you can, which is just itself, but it's not illegal to play, it's just probably undesirable
So the sacrifice two lands comes after it is placed on the battlefield and in play. Thanks!

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Commander League night

"hey just trying this deck out, not really that tuned"

*plays off-color fetches to get OG duals, Craterhoofs both me and the other opponent on turn 6-7*

"so I think it's pretty good, wanna look through it?"

*I do, deck is tuned as fuck*

Why do people do this? The way the league points work it cost him more than not romple-stomping us into next week and playing a deck at the level he said it was. It's like, dude, if you're going to go HAM then I'll bring my beater deck too, don't lie to get a cheap win.

Feb 16, 2018
if anyone still dumps money into mtgo, i think you can buy modern horizons boosters for $7 and sell them for more than 9 tickets

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
"Not tuned" can mean wildly different things to people in Commander.

To me, it means "I put together an Ooze Tribal list but I haven't really thought about how it's supposed to work other than having a bunch of oozes, yet." A "not-tuned" deck to me will probably never actually be good, even when tuned.

To my friend, it means "I built this meta deck but it doesn't have a Gaea's Cradle in it, yet."

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Played my first draft at FNM last night: 0-4. I went too aggressive with small creatures and removal/permission that got smashed in the mid-game. I chose my colors really early and hyper-focused on those to the detriment of other cards. I passed a $17 rare as it didn't fit my deck... oof. I could have at least made my money back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.