• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
M20_header2.png

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Card image gallery
Next set: ???
Story archive

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Welcome to the Multiverse!

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Magic constantly travels to different worlds with their own gimmicks, such as a focus on artifacts or multicolored cards, but Core Sets are for beginners to experience Magic at its, well, core. This is the perfect place to start the game, but for experienced players, it can also be enjoyable to play plain and simple Magic. For more experienced players, you can check out Modern Horizons, released recently. Most of the banner art in this thread is from that, actually >_>.

With this set, it takes a break from the ongoing story, but that doesn't mean there's no story. Instead, we're getting additional backstory for Chandra, the red-headed fire mage.

This set also brings a significant change to the mulligan system. With the London Mulligan, if you don't like your opening hand, you can shuffle it back into your library and draw seven new cards. This is a mulligan. Then if you keep your hand, you choose cards equal to the number of mulligans you have performed from your hand and put them on the bottom of your library. So if you keep after one mulligan, you draw seven cards and then you choose one card and put it on the bottom of your library, leaving you with six cards in hand. On the second mulligan, you draw seven and put two cards on the bottom of your library, leaving you with five cards. This is a change from the old system, where you only draw seven minus the number mulligan you're on and then scry 1. The new system makes it more reasonable to go down to a five card hand (two mulligans).

Note that the majority of discussion happens on Discord now, but we'll be available for any questions here.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread. Though it's now discontinued in light of Magic Arena, Magic Duels is still available to download for a single player Magic experience, and it can help a lot for figuring out the rules.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Spellslinger Starter Kit has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. Challenger Decks will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deckbuilder's Toolkit will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 semi-random cards, basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards.

Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you Welcome Decks and play teaching games. Experienced players are also encouraged to participate and help beginners, and everyone will get a promotional card for attending.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. You play using the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Magic Open House events will be on June 29–30, 2019. Prerelease events will be held on July 5–7, 2019. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the Prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

M20_details.png

Number of Cards: ???
Magic Open House: June 29–30, 2019
Arena Release: July 4, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: July 5–7, 2019
Release Date: July 12, 2019
Draft Weekend: July 13–14, 2019
Card image gallery

As part of the onboarding process for beginners, Core Set 2020 has not just one, not two, but five Planeswalker Decks, all focusing on a single color. Planeswalker Decks are great if you're just starting out and want a deck to practice with. Each deck comes with a booster pack, and they run for $10.99 MSRP.

The focus of this set is Chandra's backstory, so we get not one, not two, but three different Chandra planeswalker cards. Plus another one in a Planeswalker Deck.

chandranovicepyromancer.jpg
chandraacolyteofflame.jpg
chandraawakenedinferno.jpg

So yup, not only are we getting multiple Chandras, but the cards even encourage playing them with each other. So it's Chandra tribal! Oh, elementals too, I suppose.

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Core Set 2020
Magic Open House: June 29–30, 2019
Arena Release: July 2, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: July 5–7, 2019
Release Date: July 12, 2019
Draft Weekend: July 13–14, 2019

OTHER THREADS
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
Hangouts OT
Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

M20_stinger.png

Last edited:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, Chandra is the only one getting a trio? I expected there to be a cycle of them...

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Nope, they said that focus planeswalkers of sets (maybe just Core?) might get more than one planeswalker for higher visibility.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Sigma for always putting these together. Super appreciate the effort!

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I might throw together a Serra Oathbreaker deck since I've been waiting for her to finally have a card for over 20 years. I might get a little crazy with the flavor. It's definitely not going to be competitive, but at least I'll look good when I lose.

Are we allowed to show off pictures of decks in these threads?

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
New thread smell

I'm still trying to get into Oathbreaker. The deckbuilding is so limiting but I think I've hit on something fun with Angrath, The Flame Chained

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I think I might throw together a Serra oathbreaker deck since I've been waiting for her to finally have a card for over 20 years. I might get a little crazy with the flavor. It's definitely not going to be competitive, but at least I'll look good when I lose.

Are we allowed to show off pictures of decks in these threads?
Absolutely!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a fan of Mythic Chandra.

Small emblems are fine, emblems on plus are fine, emblems on plus that effect your opponent and are generated by your opponent? I have a problem with that.

I don't like putting an emblem on your opponent that does something to your opponent as a + as there is literally no way to interact with it or prevent it from happening. Even you dying won't remove it from the person you put it on.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Great thread! I started playing with Arena open beta and Guilds of Ravnica so this is my first core set. Not really sure what to expect. Also hoping to try and improve my gameplay and deck building because they are both lacking right now. Anyone have good articles to read to work towards the next level of Magic?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
The real trap for scheming symmetry is if there's any decent mill available in the set.

Devout Decree; Chandra's Spitfire; Yarok's Fenlurker
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Getting a new color-hosing cycle, it seems. It's been a while since the last one. This seems good.

D9RQZOpXkAQ4TLn

Good memories of this card. Though as a beginner, "noncombat damage" confused the hell out of me. It's any damage not caused specifically by a creature attacking/blocking, FYI.

D9RPBpCXoAE49Ix

Two mana exile-discard with a creature that can do more. Neat.

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
CORPSE KNIGHT

CORPSE KNIGHT

I wish he was a skeleton but still
CORPSE KNIGHT

I've been playing a (not great) Orzhov aristocrats build on MTGA and Corpse Knight is a fun include / Sorin reanimation target for a wider build.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Thrashing Brontadon is a great Universal Base Set (ie, should be in standard forever) card in the Best-of-One world. Cavalier of Flame is a weird design- it both encourages you to play your lands (it's a high cost and it wants you pouring mana into it) and to be holding lands (to discard when you cast it).

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised they're using the * format for power again, instead of 0 power and +1/+0 for each creature.

MaRo's article explains drafts are based on wedge colors, focused on the ally colors. That is to say white and blue are focusing on flying creatures, with red as additional support (seen with Flame Sweep).

Packaging and promos

So likely another set of allied rare lands, huh? (if we get any at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.