• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Every time I've gone to FNM with my RW Legends deck I've smashed the competition. 5-0, then 4-0. I'm killing it.

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
The Duel Decks were discontinued because of a mix of declining sale and a decision to focus on more Standard products. The reasons for the sales decline, IMO and in the opinion of the Professor, is a general decline in quality over time, but that's a different story entirely.

I got a duel deck when I first got into Magic, it was RTR block at the time and I got a dope foil Sorin with a lot of solid cards. Lingering Souls, Spectral Procession, etc. What they were putting out a few years later was a joke in comparison.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I got a duel deck when I first got into Magic, it was RTR block at the time and I got a dope foil Sorin with a lot of solid cards. Lingering Souls, Spectral Procession, etc. What they were putting out a few years later was a joke in comparison.
For sure, the quality took a nosedive around the time of Battle for Zendikar, and it never fully recovered until the very end. The same is true for every supplemental product they make, though, which is super problematic for consumers. They constantly raise prices while dropping value and quality.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YAPa8b.jpg

Dude started a removal/milling/Jace combo going and spent FIVE TURNS spamming 'Good Game' at me, milling and wiping the board. Conceded when I baited a counterspell with a rioting Hellkite and dropped the Ambush to kill his God-Eternal and clear him for fatal from Carnage Tyrant. That was satisfying.

Dec 4, 2017
Now that Pauper is an official format, I hope the guys at PDCMagic resurrect the community. I used their tips to construct a Kulbomb which ruled the format for a couple months back several years ago.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Dude started a removal/milling/Jace combo going and spent FIVE TURNS spamming 'Good Game' at me, milling and wiping the board. Conceded when I baited a counterspell with a rioting Hellkite and dropped the Ambush to kill his God-Eternal and clear him for fatal from Carnage Tyrant. That was satisfying.
Winning against emote spammers or preemptive Good Game, feels soooo good, so good. I had a red deck wins player say "Good Game" cause he dropped me to 9 life, was playing White/Blue homebrew shit that had life gain. I gave him a few Good games in response after that. I won that duel xD.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
YAPa8b.jpg

I had an opponent who locked me with Teferi but I called the bluff and they milled themselves out without dropping a win condition. Punkass.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Did my first paper draft yesterday. My buddy was hosting a casual pod of WAR at his house. I will say that the table environment is pretty fun. Hearing people's reactions when a bonkers pack is making its way around the table is great. Or the concerned grumbles when a new pack is opened and people now have to splash/change in response to a bomb.

I ended up super lucky with my pulls. I was pretty firmly making a black/red deck in pack one after pulling a Krenko. Then pack 2 gave a Rhonas, which sent me scrambling for fixing, and finally pack 3 a Gideon. Prismite and Gateway Plaza saved my bacon and let me get by with a bare minimum splash of land.

My packs were super good to me, but now I can get why some folks are so big on limited. I never considered doing a draft w strangers before but I think I might give it a whirl at the LGS.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Life means I didn't play enough in the latter half of the month, so I slipped a lot, and a cold run doomed me to outside top 1000 😩

I've got no handle on Standard right now lol.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the Ranked shuffle in MTG Arena has been hilarious. That's two times today someone tried to Thought Erasure a Nullhide Ferox

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the Ranked shuffle in MTG Arena has been hilarious. That's two times today someone tried to Thought Erasure a Nullhide Ferox
I had a guy activate the ability on mine to bounce it, then Thought Erasure'd it directly back into play
I legit wonder if people make the mistake multiple times, or if they do it once and then never again

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those ladder climbing before M20, what are you running? After the most recent MC, I have absolutely no handle on this format. I truly despise the current iterations of Esper, which is probably resulting in my piloting of the deck to be sub par because it's not enjoyable to me, and everything else I've got built seems to run into problems. I ran Manipulation Ramp from Gold to top 60 Mythic last month before the format swung hard to the two stock Esper lists (Hero/Tempo with the control transformation SB and full-on control), but after that, the Green-based ramp decks (whether white heavy or blue heavy) are a mess.

Other than the RG Hasty Stompy deck (too many rotating rares and mythics I'd rather not craft), I have most of everything lying around in Arena.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those ladder climbing before M20, what are you running? After the most recent MC, I have absolutely no handle on this format. I truly despise the current iterations of Esper, which is probably resulting in my piloting of the deck to be sub par because it's not enjoyable to me, and everything else I've got built seems to run into problems. I ran Manipulation Ramp from Gold to top 60 Mythic last month before the format swung hard to the two stock Esper lists (Hero/Tempo with the control transformation SB and full-on control), but after that, the Green-based ramp decks (whether white heavy or blue heavy) are a mess.

Other than the RG Hasty Stompy deck (too many rotating rares and mythics I'd rather not craft), I have most of everything lying around in Arena.

I'm running midrange Gruul myself with a bit more removal than most. Namely Domris Ambush and Fight With Fire.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hrm. Full playsets of Thorn Lieutenant, Ferox, Phoenix, and that Dragon with Riot, right? I do like Domri's Ambush, it's a beating.

I play BO1 mostly so I favor Growth Chamber Guardian over Thorn Lieutenant, though with the prevalence of Mono Red I might run both. I run two Skargan Hellkites and two Charging Monstrosaurs, though, myself. Monstro's great for pairing with Ambush for a sudden 12 damage against a planeswalker/enemy player or creature/planeswalker.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind listing the cards of this deck?

Not home so I can't export but going from memory:

4x Rootbound Crag
4x Stomping Ground
4x Gruul Guildgate
6x Mountain
6x Forest
4x Llanowar Elves
2x Paradise Druid
4x Domri's Ambush
4x Growth Chamber Guardian
2x Domri, Anarch of Bolas
4x Gruul Spellbreaker
2x Fight With Fire
2x Thrashing Brontodon
4x Nullhide Ferox
4x Rekindling Phoenix
2x Skargan Hellkite
1x Ghalta, Primal Hunger
1x Ilharg, the Razeboar

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017

I just got through the first tier of Plat playing this nonsense: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2053428#arena

Gonna be mostly playing Shadowbringers for the next few weeks, so I'll just kinda wait to see how the new meta shakes out. There's some really broken cards in M20.

Last season I made top 1000 mythic mostly on the backs of Bant (the more creature heavy version, not the one with Mass Manipulation) and White Weenies

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how much the format is going to change, the streamer event everyone's playing tribal decks which have gotten better but still probably fold to a Kaya's Wrath, which no-one is playing yet. But cards like 6 mana Chandra and Fry do seem to be powerful enough to shake up the current good decks.

The new cards I'd love to play are Lightning Stormkin and Drawn from Dreams, but we'll see. They say it isn't Dig Through Time, but you can hit it off Kefnet!

KuDetat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting back into MtG after a long time, do the M20 Planeswalker decks seem pretty balanced against each other/multiplayer if I'm looking for 5 mono decks for an at-home set?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Winning against emote spammers or preemptive Good Game, feels soooo good, so good. I had a red deck wins player say "Good Game" cause he dropped me to 9 life, was playing White/Blue homebrew shit that had life gain. I gave him a few Good games in response after that. I won that duel xD.
You don't have emotes turned off? First thing I did.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is the new Arena update really 2~3 GB or is it just the game redownloading all its files along with the new update?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Teferi's Protection is kind of nuts with its spike.

Just goes to show you should avoid Selesnya/Bant at all costs in Commander.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Is the new Arena update really 2~3 GB or is it just the game redownloading all its files along with the new update?

The game redownloads itself every time. In fact it looks like the updated and the installer are pretty much the same app since the installer itself will just straight-up launch the game if it's already installed and there are no updates available.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Even a joke video can't come up with something to describe red other than angry little dudes and burn. Or maybe that's part of the joke. 🤔

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of red:

This is what I'm running on arena

//Creatures (24):
4 Goblin Instigator
3 Legion Warboss
4 Clamor Shaman
3 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
4 Goblin Ringleader
2 Goblin Chainwhirler
4 Fanatical Firebrand

//Non-creature Spells (12):
4 Cavalcade of Calamity
4 Defiant Strike
2 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Leyline of Combustion

//Lands (24):
16 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Just started dipping my toes into Arena and I am someone who has not played since Ice Age. I started playing last week but decided to hold off for M20 release and the new Mastery System.

Just played my first Sealed game (and won!) and I love this format. It's what you make of your cards more than owning a complete play set and it really helps to limit the overload of learning all of the new cards if you just get < 60 or so cards from 60 boosters. This format might be my jam going forwards but too bad it costs gems to play :(

I understand why since you're buying at minimum 6 packs and the format wouldn't work otherwise but still. I suppose once I get more familiar with the cards it probably won't matter as much when I switch back to constructed but I love the high tension and how tactical Sealed is compared to Constructed.

Arena is really good also. Makes me really wish FFG would get off their ass and build good PC versions of their card games. I would totally pay for a great SW Destiny client or one for any of their LCG games.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I feel like I've been in this "one more deck" loop for the past 6 months. I build an EDH deck, spend a little money, play it a few times and then on to the next one. I'm constantly playing and improving all my decks, but I feel like there's always one that I'm working on in the background, either a new one or dismantling an old one to change. It's a dangerous habit.
Now I've gotten kinda into Oathbreaker, I have another outlet for this. I'm in the process of dismantling my Derevi EDH deck and will probably use some of the pieces to build Narset Windfall... help how do I stop

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I've been in this "one more deck" loop for the past 6 months. I build an EDH deck, spend a little money, play it a few times and then on to the next one. I'm constantly playing and improving all my decks, but I feel like there's always one that I'm working on in the background, either a new one or dismantling an old one to change. It's a dangerous habit.
Now I've gotten kinda into Oathbreaker, I have another outlet for this. I'm in the process of dismantling my Derevi EDH deck and will probably use some of the pieces to build Narset Windfall... help how do I stop

I just spent $65 on assorted upgrades for my four EDH decks. I also plan on making at least two more decks before I am content.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I just spent $65 on assorted upgrades for my four EDH decks. I also plan on making at least two more decks before I am content.
I hope you can find that contentment, lol. I have 6 EDH decks and soon 3 Oathbreaker. I think OB has caused me to stop building EDH decks at least, and OB is much cheaper so.... justified? Right now my "one more deck" is Arlinn Kord werewolves.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you can find that contentment, lol. I have 6 EDH decks and soon 3 Oathbreaker. I think OB has caused me to stop building EDH decks at least, and OB is much cheaper so.... justified? Right now my "one more deck" is Arlinn Kord werewolves.

There are only three more commanders I'm truly interested in — Rashmi, Wild Selvala and Yuriko. They just need to not print any more that excite me.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not enjoying M20 sealed so far. I might just be getting bad pools, but I'm finding it hard to make a solid, synergistic deck. Maybe draft will be a bit better.

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough!
I built Rashmi as my second EDH deck once upon a time. Kinda hated it, it feels super random and cheap. YMMV.
Here's the list if you want it: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-19-budget-rashmi/
You can tell it was a while ago 'cause I was still using tappedout

If I do Rashmi, it'll be as a more casual elf ball deck. I want to do it but I'm waiting for Wizards to do elf synergy again in a set to ensure something better doesn't pop up.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Built a janky Golari self-mill deck. It needs a lot of tuning, but I'm having fun with it. Other than the 4th Embodiment, I didn't use any wild cards and just built with what I have. Definitely can make it more consistent if I felt like burning some wild cards.

unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.