• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most will disagree, but pre-mending, yes. Post-mending, eh, depends on the plane of the week.

Instead of a continuing storyline of a sprawling journey, you now get a mish mash of different small stories every two sets focusing on whoever is the focus in that particular story. It makes for an episodic nature, which the Magic universe doesn't lend itself well to in my opinion.
The only times Magic did this were the Weatherlight Saga (which was dogshit) and the Gatewatch (Which was better executed, but still still mostly dogshit).

The rest of Magic's stories have always been pretty self-contained to their respective settings. Even more referential stories like the Time Spiral trilogy are still not really a continuation of an ongoing story.

The best thing Magic does from a storytelling perspective is worldbuilding. The cards lend themselves well to describing different aspects of a setting, and there are often a bunch of different factions that have their own unique viewpoints.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right,. It's just that the self-contained stories had more room to breathe. Kamahl for instance had six sets to develop and eventually redeem himself and his sister Jeska at the start of the events in Time Spiral.

You mentioned Gatewatch, which was supposed to be an apocalyptic scenario on Zendikar, but it never really successfully conveyed that urgency because the event was over so quickly. The worldbuilding is great. The execution, not so much. They botched War of the Spark the same way.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think the mtg story was at its best when the arena novel came out, because that was the first time i bought magic cards and they gave me the book with my fat pack. so thats the most value i've ever received from the story

i did not read the book

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
i think the mtg story was at its best when the arena novel came out, because that was the first time i bought magic cards and they gave me the book with my fat pack. so thats the most value i've ever received from the story

i did not read the book

I'm reading it now, about 1/3 through. It has its moments so far but hoooooooly sheeeeeeit the neck beard male gaze is almost ruining it for me. Mysterious loner who has godlike powers meets a lecherous old man who immediately offers him hookers. When the first named female character appears there's a paragraph devoted to her leather outfit. It's pretty scust.

That said, the plane and its factions seem cool, and the lore behind the Planeswalker of the story is interesting. Kind of like Ravnica before Ravnica.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What are your guys opinions on MTG lore? Do you consider it generic fantasy fare or is it worth getting into? I'm thinking of buying the concepts and legends book and the upcoming Rise of the Gatewatch A Visual History book.
Magic story and lore is most fun if you just accept it and go along for the ride. I say that as someone who isn't always able to do that. It's unique enough to keep me interested, but I don't live or die for it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the story better pre-mending when it focused on legendary characters and not planeswalkers so much (who were treated more like gods). I also miss getting story beats on cards.

The planes were also better concepted back then--to memory we only had one Epcot plane pre-mending (Kamigawa) but now it feels like all we ever get.

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
Played grixis and went 2-1 at my prerelease, which had very few people. Got big Chandra as my promo though, and every time it resolved I won. Didn't hurt that I had a foil Drakuseth too. Lotus Field did a lot of work since I had no other color fixing.

Protection made me make a couple misplays in game 1 but overall pretty fun day. Pulled a Sorin too which was the only card I really wanted out of the set.

PhDInOwning

Mar 17, 2018
Anyone have an extra prerelease code they don't need? My appreciation in exchange <3

Edit: Got one!

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
D-rq6c2VAAUYAqO.jpg:large

tried this list, it can beat temur elementals, so it's pretty strong in my book.

giving protection/unblockable to a 15/15 legionaire is really what this deck needed.
I think I'll try this out. I guess Taric is there mainly to counter non-combat damage right?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I want to brew with Urza but not sure what the floor is to start buying in.

Also when the fuck are they finally going to reprint Mox Opal? It's been too long.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks again!! I don't play physical, but maybe there will be a chance to return the favor down the line somehow.
You're welcome! I did a second prerelease so I couldn't use it anyway!

Pulled a promo Sephora today and a decent amount of flyers so I went WU flyers with a splash of red. Went 2-1 and all my games were fun this time. Pulled the Collosus Hammer so I had to add it to my deck. Managed to equip it to the 1/1 double striker which was awesome! Got an extra 4 packs from the wins and pre-ordered a box which I can't open till tomorrow but hopefully I pull something good.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Been playing on Arena a bit today just getting gold from quests, pulled a Lotus Field.

If anyone has an extra pre-release code it'd be cool.

BTW I'm ManaByte#38090 on Arena if anyone ever wants to play.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chandra, Awakened Inferno feels like a truly absurd card. Limited obviously but maybe even constructed...

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She has 8 loyalty after one use which is definitely insanely high. Could snowball a game easily.
I think the problem for decks that can deal with her is that you can chain multiple copies of her.
This is true. But see above about chaining her - because the emblem certainly matters. Also, against the decks that run elderspell, which mode of chandras is most dangerous?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, the Pre-release code this time around only gives you 6 packs, not an entry to a draft or a sealed like the last one
Also, these have decently long exparation dates- the person who gave me their code yesterday also gave me a War of the Spark one, so I have a free traditional draft "token" (little green thing up by the gem counter) on my account

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bridge is a dumb card and I'm glad it's gone but Looting escaping the eye of Sauron again is frustrating. Did they even mention it in the announcement? (I ctrl+F'd, I know they didn't)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Bridge is a dumb card and I'm glad it's gone but Looting escaping the eye of Sauron again is frustrating. Did they even mention it in the announcement? (I ctrl+F'd, I know they didn't)
They didn't but they haven't posted the following tweet yet

"You don't want to miss tomorrows' Weekly MTG Stream on Twitch.tv/magic! We'll have @mtg_ianduke on to discuss the recent shakeups and the future of the modern format leading into #MythicChampionshipIV"

Commander B&R update - Paradox Engine and Iona, Shield of Emeria banned; Painter's Servant unbanned
Oct 28, 2017
Commander Banlist Update:

Banned:

Paradox Engine
Iona, Shield of Emeria

Unbanned:

Painter's Servant

Now I have to sell my Paradox Engine. Cardkingdom isn't buylisting foils which is really irritating (they'll buylist any other version for a whole lot still, get in on that quick if you got'em). Happy with the ban though - that card was broken and not fun at all to play against.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
They were never going to ban Faithless Looting this soon before a tournament. Bridge from Below only snipes one upstart deck, while Faithless Looting would shake things up a lot. Assuming they ever intend to ban it, it would be in August.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
So is M2020 starting a new metaplot? I know block will be Ravnica for awhile, I'm just curious if there's a new story coming or more Ravnica.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So is M2020 starting a new metaplot? I know block will be Ravnica for awhile, I'm just curious if there's a new story coming or more Ravnica.
M20 doesn't seem to hint at any particular story, so we won't know what direction the story is going until the fall set is revealed. It's going to be a brand new location though, so definitely not Ravnica. And while there are strong hints the winter set is going to be a returning world, it's going to be Theros, not Ravnica.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No one knows for sure, but there are three planeswalkers being hunted right now (Liliana, Dovin and Tezzeret) so one wonders if they'll use that to go forward, or if we'll get something disconnected (for now) and new.

Status
Not open for further replies.