• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question: which sets will rotate out of standard come October? Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria and Core 2019?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Question: which sets will rotate out of standard come October? Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria and Core 2019?
Correct. Standard rotates once a year with the release of the Fall set, which takes out everything up till the previous year's fall set
So in 2020, when the Fall set comes out, the two Ravnica sets, War of the Spark, and Core 2020 will rotate out

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Good timing with that Paradox Engine ban since my GF was gonna buy one soon for one of her decks. She dodged a bullet there.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
This ban really annoys me as a mainly cEDH player and it reeks of Sheldon having lost a few too many times to PE and now its gone. Really wish we had a separate banlist for cEDH

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
This ban really annoys me as a mainly cEDH player and it reeks of Sheldon having lost a few too many times to PE and now its gone. Really wish we had a separate banlist for cEDH
Even if there was I don't think people would choose it over the EDH banlist.
The whole thing is about exploiting EDH to the fullest extent.

And there isn't a guarantee PE wouldn't be banned in the cEDH banlist too or all the cards enabling it

Still hoping to eventually see mana crypt and sol ring on there eventually

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sol Ring and Mana Crypt very much deserve to be on that list. I should sell my Crypt

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All coin flip cards should be really.
I was coming at it from the angle of easy fast mana. I actually kind of wish there were more coin flips of varied syles and effects because that would be a really fun deck to screw around with IMO.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about coin flips?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
mana crypt shouldnt be banned because no card that i own and is worth money should ever be banned, and also should never be reprinted

Oct 28, 2017
If they're not going to ban Mana Crypt, it desperately needs a reprint at like rare or something. I know they care about reprint equity but it's a $200 card for a non-foil and that's just completely idiotic.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Man I totally forgot you have to wait a week after prerelease for the set to come out proper
I was gonna go buy some packs and singles yesterday until I realized they aren't out yet. With all the talk around new cards and it being out in Arena, they fuckin might as well be dang

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Man I totally forgot you have to wait a week after prerelease for the set to come out proper
I was gonna go buy some packs and singles yesterday until I realized they aren't out yet. With all the talk around new cards and it being out in Arena, they fuckin might as well be dang
There have been some calls on Twitter by major Magic personalities to put an end to this gap between Prerelease and release for that reason.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
PE isn't even that great in cEDH. Storm doesn't like to play it since it's too expensive.

If they're not going to ban Mana Crypt, it desperately needs a reprint at like rare or something. I know they care about reprint equity but it's a $200 card for a non-foil and that's just completely idiotic.
Timetwister is $2500.

Shit, I want Gauntlet of Might in my mono red deck and that shit costs $750.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
There have been some calls on Twitter by major Magic personalities to put an end to this gap between Prerelease and release for that reason.
When I went to my first pre-release in 2003, it involved riding a train by myself for an hour to get to the venue, and as the event was over 2 weeks before the set actually came out (and then there would be another 4 weeks post release before it was legal in standard), it actually felt.... magical? MTGNews and MTGSalvation would have the full spoiler by the pre-release but we usually just had card names, it's not like we had all the new art. It felt like I was getting something I shouldn't be getting. Now, pre-releases involve me driving 10 minutes to the store, and due to our new reality of never-ending spoiler season, We already know cards in the next set by the time we are opening packs of this one. And instead of vendors at pre-releases literally buying peoples prize packs for $3 (which was the MSRP at the time) to flip for $5 to people who wanted to draft the set in the weeks before release, you can now buy booster boxes and planeswalker decks at the pre-release.

The term "Pre-Release" still has some value, but they really just need to make it like a full release. Now that stores can run the Pre-release on Fridays, maybe brand the Friday evening event as the pre-release and then have the rest of the weekend still called pre-release, but you can just buy the set as much as you want. You still get a full week (Saturday-Friday) before the next FNM to buy cards for your new deck

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible prerelease draft events are good for the LGS' and Wizards doesn't want to mess with that? It's kinda silly and contrived but some people really do get hyped for it.

I know I personally wouldn't bother with prerelease (or I guess if they changed it, release) drafts if I could just walk in and scoop product. I can't be alone in that sentiment.

I agree waiting a week sorta sucks but if it helps keep the stores around and healthier I'm all for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible prerelease draft events are good for the LGS' and Wizards doesn't want to mess with that? It's kinda silly and contrived but some people really do get hyped for it.

I know I personally wouldn't bother with prerelease (or I guess if they changed it, release) drafts if I could just walk in and scoop product. I can't be alone in that sentiment.

I agree waiting a week sorta sucks but if it helps keep the stores around and healthier I'm all for it.

You can buy product at pre-release nowadays. You just can't by singles (maybe that's what you meant). I do find not being able to sell my singles to be frustrating. I got a foil Yarok that someone would probably love to buy. I guess I'll list it on eBay but eh. I prefer TCGPlayer.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the only reason the Moxen are illegal in the format is because they would scare off some players with their pricetag. Crypt and Sol Ring are both better than Moxen!

May 9, 2018
So I made a Magic card generator AI.

united_states_of_america.jpg

facebook.jpg

twitter_red.jpg

Dump of thousands of cards:

https://github.com/minimaxir/mtg-gpt-2-cloud-run/tree/master...

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
How do people think someone should start getting into Modern and other non-standard formats? There's just so much I'm not sure if I should just start investing towards a meta-deck or something. Can't even imagine trying to learn deckbuilding with that many options. I have a pretty good grip on standard so maybe I should just start adding Modern cards to my standard decks and go from there?

Also does anyone have any opinion on Spikes Academy? I'm interested in improving my game in Magic but not sure if I should bother with something like that.

Oct 28, 2017
How do people think someone should start getting into Modern and other non-standard formats? There's just so much I'm not sure if I should just start investing towards a meta-deck or something. Can't even imagine trying to learn deckbuilding with that many options. I have a pretty good grip on standard so maybe I should just start adding Modern cards to my standard decks and go from there?

Also does anyone have any opinion on Spikes Academy? I'm interested in improving my game in Magic but not sure if I should bother with something like that.

I've been thinking the same thing. I think I'd like a UW Control deck or Humans, but I'm so out of my league in deckbuilding that I couldn't do it myself. I have no idea what the meta might look like or even an understanding of how the decks work. So I could netdeck a $1200 deck and then maybe have fun with it. Or maybe not? So I just never will. Wizards needs to do something about the price of entry. At $600, I'd be playing and probably having a great time.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You can rent decks to play in MTGO for cheap and test them out to see if you like them. Not a bad way to dip your toes into eternal formats honestly.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is Spikes Academy? lol
it's an "online course" by the likes of seth manfield and reid duke. It's just a fancy video series supposedly way overpriced for the length of the "courses"

the times you could upgrade a standard deck to modern are mostly over. UR phoenix is reasonably cheap for modern decks if you skip tarns and surgical and you can play parts of that deck in both standard and modern. It's also arguably the strongest deck in modern again with hogaak getting the axe.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak to Spikes Academy, but if you watch a bunch of high-level Modern games- such as the pro tour archives or day 2/T8 of a GP/SCG Open, you will start to pick up a lot of things about the format.
As far as "investing" in a modern deck, the simple thing is that there are a ton of decks in the format, and with exception to some expensive uncommons, sideboard cards, and fetch lands/shock lands, there isn't much overlap between decks. An Affinity Deck is going to have 0/60 cards overlap with a Humans deck, which is going to have nothing overlap except some lands with a Phoenix deck, which is going to have 0/60 of a tron deck, which has 0/60 overlap with a Jund deck, which has 0/60 overlap with a UW control deck, etc. There are a ton of cards that only see play in a single high tier deck, with maybe some play in very fringe decks (Example: Liliana is a Jund-only card that you MIGHT play in a Smallpox deck, Deaths Shadow is a DS-only card). It's all about finding what kind of deck you would like to play, and building towards finishing it, while anytime a staple gets reprinted in a standard set (such as the Leylines in M20, the Shocks in RTRTR), making sure to grab a playset of them after they have been on the market for a while.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Improving comes with experience. You can gain experience by simply playtesting various decks that are popular in the meta. You don't need to pay a single dime because you can just proxy entire decks. The only thing you need is a playtest partner, a marker, a bunch of worthless cards and time.

The idea that Modern or any other format requires cash investment before you start playing is bogus.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter Five and Six
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slacking on these.

The Gathering Storm - Chapter Five
* We get a bit more Ral backstory, as he and Hekara go to Selesnya HQ.
* Emmara explains the deal with Trostani being discordant.
* A woman tries to kill her, but Ral stops her and Hekara kills her. A bunch of guards come in to "avenge" Emmara, and are shocked to see she's fine.
* They go to the room of an elf named Garo, who they suspect was behind the attack. He and others attack them, and the heroes kill them. Garo was under Bolas's control, and Bolas taunts Ral from him.
* Emmara agrees to attend the conference.
* Hekara is a razorwitch, meaning she can summon metal blades out of thin air.
* Kaya meets with Tomik and Teysa in the latter's cell again. Tomik proposes using his connection to Ral to have Izzet attack Orzhov HQ as a distraction for Kaya to kill the Ghost Council, though he fears what it means for his relationship with Ral.

Chapter Six
* Ral meets with Lavinia again, who explains what she's learned about Vraska. Ral determines she's a planeswalker, and probably working for Bolas.
* Ral and Hekara meet with Vraska and Xeddick at a structure called the Madman's Bridge, which is given a detailed history.
* Vraska tells the truth about everything, including her working for Bolas and the events of Ixalan. Ral finds this all too convenient, but accepts it for now.
* Ral meets with Tomik. To the latter's surprise, Ral is fine with attacking Orzhov if it means getting a new guild master, Teysa, who will attend the guild summit.
* However, the problem is rallying Izzet forces without Orzhov spies finding out. He instead asks Vraska to have the Golgari attack, and she agrees.

There's a lot more detail to these events, of course. It's still a much better read than the actual WAR novel.

Feb 16, 2018
Is now a good time to buy the horizon lands from MH or will they drop further?

if you think the rest of the set will be valuable, there won't be much harm in waiting. even if you miss the low point, any increase should be gradual and you can buy them then. the lands are still basically the same price as launch week.

i bought them at launch because i didn't think the rest of the set would be too valuable. either way i'd just time it when there's some 10% off promotion (or something similar) if you buy from places that do that

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Rhystic Study is such a dumb card in commander. I didn't think about this but going forward I'm going to put Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast in my deck just to nuke that card.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Rhystic Study is such a dumb card in commander. I didn't think about this but going forward I'm going to put Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast in my deck just to nuke that card.
it and remora are two cards I deliberately avoid playing even though nearly all my decks are blue. Not just because of power level but because they are annoying to keep track of.
It's fun and I love it
For you, for anyone you're asking if they are paying 1 you're being a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.