• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is Fairy Tale World. Gonna have Kaya tracking Liliana there. Maybe we'll see the return of Garruk as well.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with Fairy Tale World. I don't think D&D is appropriate for Standard as Standard is too limiting of the cool things you could do. I also don't think they'll print silver-bordered cards into standard as you suggested as that's confusing.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's too much overlap in black BW B and GB planeswalkers makes little sense
So then maybe no Garruk? Kaya and Lili will cross paths eventually so that's a given combo. Still, the three of them represent three colors though even if it's weighted toward black, and I could see a red and a blue walker rounding out the sets 5 cards if this is the story they wanted to tell. But I'm just guessing here

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning Fairy Take Work too. Minimal ties to the main plot outside of a Gatewatch character going on an adventure there. Just a "breather" set with lots of theme and some light story - something like Innistrad.

D&D is possible but I can't help feeling that it's really, really lame. Particularly since they'd be doing one of the more basic, generic worlds. MTG worldbuilding is so much better than D&D worldbuilding it's not really even a competition.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A D&D crossover seems like the kind of thing you'd do as a supplemental set or something instead of into standard, yeah? Like doing the Commander precons with Fighter/Thief/Wizard/Cleric/Druid themes and D&D referencing original cards, or something like Archenemy and Planechase, or a special booster product like the Conspiracy and Battlebond stuff

I want an Australian plane so we can get gnarly platypus creatures and stuff

Oct 28, 2017
A D&D crossover seems like the kind of thing you'd do as a supplemental set or something instead of into standard, yeah? Like doing the Commander precons with Fighter/Thief/Wizard/Cleric/Druid themes and D&D referencing original cards, or something like Archenemy and Planechase, or a special booster product like the Conspiracy and Battlebond stuff

I think you could do it as standard, but doing a supplemental set where drafts are dungeon crawling sounds so much better.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd be an outright D&D set, but something like D&D - adventurer world, basically, like Zendikar was at one point.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Maro say they wanted to move back toward "land + adventure world" for Zendikar, though, after BfZ underwhelmed? Would kind of be muscling in on that territory - I don't think BfZ did badly enough to toss Zendikar in the Lorwyn/Kamigawa box.

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Maro say they wanted to move back toward "land + adventure world" for Zendikar, though, after BfZ underwhelmed? Would kind of be muscling in on that territory - I don't think BfZ did badly enough to toss Zendikar in the Lorwyn/Kamigawa box.

I only hear good things about the plane itself. As someone who missed it both times, I'd love to do Zendikar more than any other established plane except Lorwyn.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
j2Hequ.jpg

I LOVE when blue players sit there for a solid 30 seconds when the Ceratops hits, then concede.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Honestly, I'm into this. You could do a cycle of commanders with Level Up abilities.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think Zendikar as a plane is popular and well loved, despite BFZ being a miss. They'll be good to go back to it without the shadow of the Eldrazi holding its admittedly unique flavor down.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey does anyone know if there are any sleeves that have pyramids or the Illuminati eye on them? Asking for a friend!

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm running a dinosaur Dick right now for fun and ranging raptors really has incredible value against all the red players. They have no way to remove it without giving me a land which means that I'm ramping up into big dinosaurs they can't remove easily very quickly.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's the logical conclusion when you don't print any good burn spells in the last 4 sets.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I encounter esper probably once every seven games.

Yall are too focused on the decks you hate.

I don't. I'm not exaggerating. I played 10 games and tracked it to show a friend.

4 were esper
1 mono red
1 was a golgari reanimation [neat]
1 was mono blue flier
3 were elementals

40% esper is nuts. Plus 8/10 having blue. I'm sick of blue man

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of Arena is that you just run into endless meta decks. At least at FNM you get to play against a lot of fun homebrew decks. There's no incentive to be creative on Arena because the economy forces you to commit to a deck early and it's very difficult to pivot to anything else.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of Arena is that you just run into endless meta decks. At least at FNM you get to play against a lot of fun homebrew decks. There's no incentive to be creative on Arena because the economy forces you to commit to a deck early and it's very difficult to pivot to anything else.

True. Just shifting from Gruul Midrange to Gruul Dinos has been hard for me and that's using the same shocklands, etc.

I wish you could bunk down rarity in wild cards. I've got more mythic than rare cards to spare because you need so few mythics and so many rares for a good deck.

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
I don't. I'm not exaggerating. I played 10 games and tracked it to show a friend.

4 were esper
1 mono red
1 was mono blue flier
3 were elementals

In 70 games from gold to D1 I've played exactly 4 Esper decks. It's really not very popular right now, Risen Reef decks eat it for breakfast. Besides if you're on Gruul, Veil of Summer just wins that matchup.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

4 were esper
1 mono red
1 was mono blue flier
3 were elementals

They printed two colour hosing cycles in m20 and the best from both are for green sideboards against blue. Maybe you should keep trying bo3, magic as god intended.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 70 games from gold to D1 I've played exactly 4 Esper decks. It's really not very popular right now, Risen Reef decks eat it for breakfast. Besides if you're on Gruul, Veil of Summer just wins that matchup.

I didn't say I lose to it I just said it's not fun. Ceratops and Veil make it an easy win it just isnt fun

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
j

4 were esper
1 mono red
1 was mono blue flier
3 were elementals

I'm top 1000 mythic playing only bo3 and I run into esper maybe once every 8 matches. There's a pretty good variety of decks going on right now. Lots of people trying out new stuff

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best thing to do IMO is just grit your teeth and play bo3 until mythic. Ranking up is faster in bo3 because of the loss forgiveness when you get to a new tier and only needing +3 wins instead of +6 to get that free loss

I might once my dinosaur deck is done. It handles Esper better due to Ceratops and co

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I came into this thread because I was watching Caleb stream and somebody mentioned "did you see what happened to Conley Woods" and I was like "huh?'

Well now I know and Jesus Fucking Christ >_<

I had stopped following him a while ago because I felt he was kind of becoming annoying/off-putting but I never would have seen this coming O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.