• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Ghired and Savinne seem like "here's a less than optimal commander for this specific strategy, but it lets you play a color you couldn't before" commanders, which I guess is honestly a pretty good design space to take advantage of, even if it's not terribly exciting. I wouldn't be surprised if both of their decks contain better two-color commanders than them.

The other two could be cool depending on how solid their deck support is. Hopefully Wizards learned from last year and isn't going to skimp on the 99, because Morph and Madness both desperately need an influx of meaningful cards and venerable reprints to work.

C19 - Scaretiller
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I recently got back into Magic with the Spellslingers set. It has a code for Arena that can be used twice, I think ("You and a friend can unlock..."). I know they are basic cards, but if anyone would like the code DM me.

C19 - Path of Return (?); Blue Split Second (?)

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
I have no idea if these translations are accurate:
letstaketheshortcut.jpg

Path of Return [GG]

Sorcery

Choose one -
-Return target permanent from your graveyard to your hand.
-Add your commander from your command zone to your hand.

Entwine (2) (Choose both if you paid the entwine cost.)

honeyitradedthekids.jpg

(Card Name?)
Split second

Exchange control of target noncreature spell and target creature. Then player who controls that spell may choose new targets for it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We now live in a world where it's always spoiler seasons or spoiler season is approaching. We might want to re-approach this rule
You are probably right, we may want to rethink it, but it is the current rule.

I personally think we should make some kind of approved header image you put above and below a fake card labeling it as such.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
y2sq7nzr0ne31.png

Reprint from Time Spiral block.
No more Terese Nielsen art.

Having Manifest "it's face down but can unmorph for it's casting cost" and Ixidron "they are just turned upside down and can't unmorph unless they have morph" is really non-intuitive for a preconstructed deck. Like, if you aren't using those morph or manifest tokens, it's going to be a nightmare to track what can and can not be flipped face up.

Oct 28, 2017
Having Manifest "it's face down but can unmorph for it's casting cost" and Ixidron "they are just turned upside down and can't unmorph unless they have morph" is really non-intuitive for a preconstructed deck. Like, if you aren't using those morph or manifest tokens, it's going to be a nightmare to track what can and can not be flipped face up.

That's true. I guess they'll probably give a ton of tokens for that very reason.

C19 - Morph reprints; Vraska the Unseen; Apex Altisaur
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Probably but didn't they sheepishly walk back their commitment to "naga" after it was too late? I could be misremembering.

Great Creature Update Part 2 someday? Please? Or just rule naga=snake and we'll be good.
We had a naga in War of the Spark.

Three reprints

Three more reprints

xohno9w00oe31.png

xsuzsdkxzne31.png

EBOSP0NVUAAfZNo

And a new card
EBOSP0MUEAAcB9G

The enrage ability triggers when it fights, so it's a board wipe if it's indestructible.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm reading about the next expansion, Throne, and it sounds great. Did War of the Spark close out a cycle? Should I just wait to really jump back in until Throne?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading about the next expansion, Throne, and it sounds great. Did War of the Spark close out a cycle? Should I just wait to really jump back in until Throne?
War of the Spark closed a big ongoing storyline, yes. As for getting into the game, it depends on what you want to do. The newest set is Core Set 2020, which is aimed at beginners. The only reason you'd want to wait for Throne is if you play Standard, since the sets that are legal in the Standard format will change with its release. Otherwise, you can get into the game whenever.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
War of the Spark closed a big ongoing storyline, yes. As for getting into the game, it depends on what you want to do. The newest set is Core Set 2020, which is aimed at beginners. The only reason you'd want to wait for Throne is if you play Standard, since the sets that are legal in the Standard format will change with its release. Otherwise, you can get into the game whenever.
Yes, (casual) Standard at the local shop, and probably whatever jank at the dinner table. Though, I am not going to chase metas/tourneys now, just going to ease myself back in the game. I spent way too much money during the release of Ixalan (the last set I played), and I'm not doing that again.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i decided to buy decks for once and i'm glad it happened to be the year with cards for steal/use other people's shit sultai, my actual favorite archetype

though maybe i should have got atraxa that one time

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a very shit opinion, but I hated EDH when I played previously. I'm staying far away from that now that I'm back.
Is it? A LOT of the commanders printed for EDH have a history to be broken or majorly annoying. Like Eminence 2 years ago, none of them are unbeatable but free resources are obnoxious to fight against. Like Partner that's incredibly overpowered in a format that's mostly midrange piles. Like Meren, like animar,... Trash is good means you can still build around them and they won't build themselves and when you show up to a table people won't groan.

Status
Not open for further replies.