• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
War of the Spark closed a big ongoing storyline, yes. As for getting into the game, it depends on what you want to do. The newest set is Core Set 2020, which is aimed at beginners. The only reason you'd want to wait for Throne is if you play Standard, since the sets that are legal in the Standard format will change with its release. Otherwise, you can get into the game whenever.
This helps a lot. Thanks.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
The store I frequented was basically all-EDH, all the time. And as I was a new player, I guess I thought everyone just loved the format (hasty generalizations and all that).
The format is still extremely popular and I do love it. 2 things I don't love about it is the current upkeep cost and how commander products have pushed some bullshit in the format since inception

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
EDH at it's competitive worst is just as bad as any other format with a shit meta.

That said, there's so much flexibility with the card pool that you can build pretty much whatever you want and make it fair. There's really no excuse for bringing nothing but broken linear combo/stax decks every time.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The format is still extremely popular and I do love it. 2 things I don't love about it is the current upkeep cost and how commander products have pushed some bullshit in the format since inception
Maybe it was too much for me at the time, as I was still learning the ropes and then I had to deal with 3-6 other people with strong decks while I was running prebuilt decks. Now that I think about it, if I had been seriously playing Magic for 10 years, EDH would probably be an interesting change. 🤷‍♂️

That said, there's so much flexibility with the card pool that you can build pretty much whatever you want and make it fair.
Yeah, that's a fair point, too.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I personally take a Johnny+Vorthos approach, finding on-theme cards that fit into my deck's overall strategy instead of just copy-pasting in a bunch of staple cards that don't make sense. For example, if I'm making a Slimefoot the Stowaway saproling sacrifice deck I won't put in Blood Artist because it makes no thematic sense even though it can be a win condition. My Ral deck for Oathbreaker has zero burn spells that are fire based, just electricity. Stuff like that.

C19 - River Kelpie; Mandate of Peace (?); Basic Lands; Empowered Autogenerator
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
NES7Mez.jpg

Reprint, which surprised me a bit since it seemed so much like a supplemental set new addition.

gwdgyfw40te31.png

Mandate of Peace/平和の執行
Rarity - R
1W
Instant
Cast this spell only during combat.
Your opponents can't cast spells this turn.
End the combat phase.

1.Cards-Pano-Combo.jpg

The basic lands form a panorama.

image0.jpg

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
see that's the kind of design that's unacceptable to me and incredulous to see this coming from a commander set. The only thing this card does is take away meaningful decisions from players for almost no gain.

Like best case you play this as a superfriends or pillowfort general hoping the player to your left or right has a creature light deck.

Last edited:

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Jeskai wall tribal baybeeeee

Edit: That card sucks ass for everyone in 5-player star, you have to kill 3 people instead of 2 to win and you have to Ace a frenemy first.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Dockside Extortionist seems absolutely insane in EDH. Can't wait to hit one with a kicked Rite of Replication or throw one on a Soul Foundry late game.

And Arcades is the better wall commander. Pramikon I think will appeal to the kind of player that enjoys playing rule-setting, game-controlling cards like Rule of Law or Jin Gitaxias.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
see that's the kind of design that's unacceptable to me and incredulous to see this coming from a commander set. The only thing this card does is take away meaningful decisions from players for almost no gain.

Like best case you play this as a superfriends or pillowfort general hoping the player to your left or right has a creature light deck.

as a non-commander player, it feels like the commander sets have been pretty bad for commander. just a bunch of dumb bullshit and fake cards like this that take away from the format's charm.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I love this, we used to do this as teens way back in the day before EDH ever existed. Will definitely make a deck for this.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I personally take a Johnny+Vorthos approach, finding on-theme cards that fit into my deck's overall strategy instead of just copy-pasting in a bunch of staple cards that don't make sense. For example, if I'm making a Slimefoot the Stowaway saproling sacrifice deck I won't put in Blood Artist because it makes no thematic sense even though it can be a win condition. My Ral deck for Oathbreaker has zero burn spells that are fire based, just electricity. Stuff like that.
I play Fireball and Disintegrate in my dragon tribal deck even though I could play the more powerful Comet Storm or Devil's Play instead. I also refuse to play Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots because it'd look silly on dragons.

If you're not Vorthossing your EDH decks you're doing it wrong.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Mandate of Peace creates a legitimate reason to play sorcery speed spells during your first main phase, which is funny to me.

I want to play this on someone constantly until I've trained them to summon creatures during MP1, and then take it out of the deck.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
I also refuse to play Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots because it'd look silly on dragons.
I think Niv would look positively fetching in some Lighting Grieves, a Captain's Hook and Explorer's Scope.

Thoughts on Commander Supplemental Products:
I am not an "old-school" EDH player here so my criticism may be off base, but wasn't one of the original appeals of the format using old cards from disparate sets and creating unusual or unforeseen synergies and interactions? For me that is what is most appeal about the format is taking cards that would never have been used together and making something, ahem, magical happen. Taking cards that R&D never had to balance together and seeing how busted the game can get has always seemed to me one of the hallmarks of the format.

With the introduction of Commander specific product it feels as if some of the magic of discovering the strange interactions has been removed. Each new commander pre-con pretty clearly demonstrates what the deck is about and serves up the explosive interactions on a platter. The alchemy of brewing is laid bare and all the personal toil of researching and collecting cards means less when a pre-con deck comes with a cards designed to do a specific ability tailored to a specific commander. It seems to me, again, this is my feeling, not based in any science or research, that each year the new pre-cons release several "strictly better" cards for commander, designed for commander and for the multiplayer environment. Each of these "strictly better" cards remove one more card decision I need to make as a brewer, or at least means that I will be at a specific disadvantage for not including the better option.

I don't know, I feel like I'm ranting. Each year, around this time, I get the urge to remove any card that appeared in Commander supplemental products first from any of my decks out of "principle." To, in some way that is only meaningful or impactful to me, stay "true" to the spirit of the format...which, I know, is just me yelling at a cloud.

I am trying to get my wife on board with me taking the plunge to just buy all the pre-cons this year, even though none of them seem that specifically interesting to me...

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm fine with the Commander product, honestly. I'll take their efforts to make entire chunks of the color pie (mono-white and Boros) actually playable/interesting in exchange for their tendency to sometimes create cards that specifically become broken due to the Commander mechanic itself, which honestly is only a rate of about one in every four or five, anyway. (People talk about Eminence, Partner, and Experience Counters as being borked mechanics, but if you really think about it it's actually just one or two of the several generals from each of those sets that are problems. No one's losing their shit over Daxos or Arahbo.)

C19 - Feldon of the Third Path; Cliffside Rescuer (?)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Feldon of the Third Path reprint
1665327f-8267-4054-9be5-43a610887c26.jpg

With populate, you get a copy of the token that you don't have to sacrifice.

image0.png

Cliffside Rescuer {1}{W}
Creature - Kor Soldier (U)
Vigilance
{T}, Sacrifice Cliffside Rescuer: Target permanent you control gains protection from each opponent until end of turn. (It can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything controlled by those players.)

2/2
Illus: Caio Monteiro

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Would the new Commander precons be worth getting to play 1v1? My wife mentioned she'd like to get back into Magic (we got a few planeswalker decks around the time Ixalan came out and she really liked playing with them, though she wasn't a fan of limited when I introduced her to Sealed).

I've never played Commander and from what I gather the increased variance caused by the singleton decks is balanced out by playing in a group. If you're not drawing into your main threats it likely doesn't matter as much as it would in other formats since other players will prioritize attacking opponents with a more developed board. Am I right in this or would they be fun to play the occasional casual 1v1 game?

If they aren't the best choice for two-player games, what are some other good options? As much as I like sharing a hobby I love with my wife I really don't want to play with Planeswalker decks. I think Challenger decks may be a little intense, at least to start with. Are any of the old Duel Decks considered classic? I thought about just googling lists of cheap decks that would be balanced against each other as well, if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it!

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If you wife is more casual about Magic I would recommend the Commander decks. In 1v1 you will always have this more competitive nature of havong only one opponent to attack but the singleton format helps leveling the playing field a bit with the higher variance. This also makes cames more exciting as they play out differently each time. The occasional stomp due to mana screw erc. will happen in any format.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friend played last year's precons 1v1 several times and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Most games seemed to play out like this: we would each play a bunch of complicated cards and then suddenly one of us would win.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the Brawl precons coming with Throne of Eldraine will be more suited to 1vs1? It's "Commander Lite" after all, and complicated interactions between cards are not as common.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
We also got into commander with my wife. Been playing casual 1v1s and we both enjoy it a lot. I spent around 20€ / deck on singles and used our collection for the rest (about a years worth of buying boosters every now and then).

Our decks being very casual and very budged we have very little (actually, almost none) tutors in our decks so that means there is a lot of variance how the matches go and we love it. Still get to play big plays and cool interactions.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the Brawl precons coming with Throne of Eldraine will be more suited to 1vs1? It's "Commander Lite" after all, and complicated interactions between cards are not as common.

I was thinking these might be a good choice. Also might want to look into the Guild Kits; each is themed around one of the Ravnica guilds and uses cards from all three Ravnica blocks.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
We will know more when the rest of the decklists are posted but the BUG morph deck looks well built out of the box while the Jeskai Flashback deck looks horribly thrown together with no clear gameplan.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah they handily beat any other sleeves I've tried. Only downside is that they seem to catch dirt pretty easily
Ah, I'll look out for that. The other downside, at least right now, is they are super-expensive due to scarcity.

Me and my friend played last year's precons 1v1 several times and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Most games seemed to play out like this: we would each play a bunch of complicated cards and then suddenly one of us would win.
Are you talking about Challenger Decks? I picked up the R/U yesterday and it's pretty crazy the amount of card synergy.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, one of the best limited blocks of all time lost against one of the worst designed draft formats of all time, which has Shadow creatures as a theme and Battle Screech at common? There's no hope for humanity.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I thought VMA was fun outside of Battle Screech (and TPF has the worst format-ruining common of all time), but, wrt the poll, I'd expect a lot of recency bias: a lot more people who follow Magic Online would've played VMA during its introduction (2014) than Time Spiral Block in 2006.

Think TTT was > TPF anyways, though I'd definitely have TPF >>> VMA.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
time spiral block would be cool if sprout swarm didnt exist
There was a poll at one point with the option to remove it from the format for flashbacks, but removal lost pretty comfortably. I think it was stupid: there's a slippery slope wrt adjusting old formats, nostalgia value, etc but Sprout Swarm is so outlier atrocious it easily should've been removed.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think Battle Screech is worse than Sprout Swarm tbh, especially with three packs versus one pack.

At least there are enough flyers and pingers in TPF (even green has flyers) to not be completely dead to saprolings.

C19 - Doomed Artisan; Bramble Sovereign (FAKE); Trostani, Selesnya's Voice; Angel of Sanctions; Commander's Insignia; Tahngarth, First Mate
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Captura.PNG

Interesting design.

EDIT: This one turned out to be fake.
ou845h4y20f31.jpg

Reprint

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Interesting design

EBXyi47XUAAclQk.png

Interesting way to reference how the original Tahngarth card was monored but had vigilance.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So now mono green can do cloning too LOL

Cool minotaur tribal commander although I'm not sure green has that many minotaurs.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah whenever I think about green, the colour of nature and the cycle of life, I definitely think about cloning.

This is Song of the Dryads all over again!

Status
Not open for further replies.