• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
-2 Ral -2 Risk Factor -2 Sinister Sabotage -3 Shock -1 Chemister's Insight -3 Guildgate
+3 Shivan Fire +2 Fiery Cannonade +4 basic lands

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to build an Izzet deck, I'd try to sneak in Nivvy with Sarkhan Fireblood. Add Verix and Demanding Dragons and you've got a brew going.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
T4 Bolas with Negate backup is pretty cheats.

Mana base is solid too with 8 shocklands and 12 checklands.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Wizards said anything about running tournaments in Arena? I like to watch high level matches, but I'm sitting here trying to watch the current grand prix and having a miserable time because the viewing experience is absolutely horrendous compared to random people streaming Arena.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Has Wizards said anything about running tournaments in Arena? I like to watch high level matches, but I'm sitting here trying to watch the current grand prix and having a miserable time because the viewing experience is absolutely horrendous compared to random people streaming Arena.

I really hope they start doing this for feature matches in Limited/Standard soon.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington

They have said in the past that they eventually will but when asked on the live stream last week if they would be holding PTQs on Arena they said they didn't have any plans to at the moment.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe deal 4 damage to target opponent for 3 mana sounds like a real bargain.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I have the opposite experience. Can't see shit on Arena because of the shoddy interface. At least the commentators tell us what's going on.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Really enjoying Goblins in standard. They're relatively quick, can get pumped, and going over the top with Siege Gang Commander can close games. Will most likely pick up the pieces i'm missing for paper from the LGS today. Have enjoyed Arena for getting to play the deck before buying in.

Got a question regarding FNM. Played release at the LGS this last Friday. Round 2 I play and end up losing 1-2. As soon as we end the opponent says he's leaving and he's gonna give me the win. Is that kosher?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I have the opposite experience. Can't see shit on Arena because of the shoddy interface. At least the commentators tell us what's going on.

There's a twitch extension that streamers can use, which allow you to interact almost as if you were playing Arena yourself though. It's pretty amazing

I'm also a bit confused by what you can see from the overhead camera that you can't see on an arena stream. It's not like you can read text on the cards. And obviously there would be commentators for Arena tournaments just like the current grand prix

Last edited:

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Really enjoying Goblins in standard. They're relatively quick, can get pumped, and going over the top with Siege Gang Commander can close games. Will most likely pick up the pieces i'm missing for paper from the LGS today. Have enjoyed Arena for getting to play the deck before buying in.

Got a question regarding FNM. Played release at the LGS this last Friday. Round 2 I play and end up losing 1-2. As soon as we end the opponent says he's leaving and he's gonna give me the win. Is that kosher?

Yeah that's perfectly fine and happens all the time.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I got passed March of the Multitudes, Find / Finality, an Arboretum Elemental, and basically as much G/B and G/W mana fixing as I wanted to take off second passes from packs. I also opened a Venerated Loxodon.

I mean I know green isn't the color people want to be playing but maybe don't try to force Dimir this hard, guys.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you draw your only Drowned Secrets from the last ten cards of your deck in all three games.

giphy.gif

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I got passed March of the Multitudes, Find / Finality, an Arboretum Elemental, and basically as much G/B and G/W mana fixing as I wanted to take off second passes from packs. I also opened a Venerated Loxodon.

I mean I know green isn't the color people want to be playing but maybe don't try to force Dimir this hard, guys.
GW in Draft is godlike, can confirm

Jul 14, 2018
Finally got to draft a competent Dimir deck tonight. I tried once before, but wound up with too many payoffs and not enough cards that actually surveilled. Being on the blue side, my experiences from previous drafts have begun to make sense.

angry Boros me: Ohhh... sure, OF COURSE he has the fourth removal spell!

Dimir me: hmmm, yeah, I guess the top 12 cards of my deck would look okay this way.

There are a lot of times when fair cards seem like cheating. Surveil is cheating disguised as fair cards.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Oh man. Having so much fun testing decks in Arena. Having a lot of success with this Thousand-Year Storm brew. Has enough interaction early and has the card draw/mana to restock the hand once Thousand-Year Storm comes out. The First Eruption fits soooo good in it as well. Allows me to possibly get Storm out turn 4. Clears the board against a lot of these token decks being played. All the Ixalan cards that give treasure are also clutch. Being able to discard and pay only once but then get multiple card draws and treasure tokens feels so good. Went ahead and ordered the paper version but will continue to test on Arena. Need to figure out a side board as well. Looking at adding Banefire, Shake the Foundation, Risk Factor, and Chemister's Insight for SB/MB.

The Payoff
4x Thousand Year Storm

Creature Removal
4x Shock
4x The First Eruption
4x Lightning Strike

Card Draw
4x Opt
4x Radical Idea
4x Pirate's Pillage
4x Pirate's Prize

Creature Bounce
2x Depths of Desire
2x Unexplained Disappearance

Lands
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls
8x Island
6x Mountain
2x Field of Ruin

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting started on my collection again. I don't think I'll be playing the game even a fraction of a fraction of what I used to. I have a few coworkers that play during breaks at the office and my wife actually sat down with me last night and played the little 30 card beginner decks that my local shop threw in for me. But I think that's about as far as it is going to go. I'm more interested in collecting these things and getting a part of my old collection back. I would love to get back my set of The Dark, Homeworlds, Fallen Empires, and Alliance... I know it was a crappy collection of sets, but that nostalgia of finally having complete sets back then is strong.

Anyway... I bought a few things on Ebay and Amazon. I went to the local game store here and bought some things there:

31278735578_b769174e02_b.jpg

The Dex portfolio, perfect fits, and Dragon Shields are from amazon. I picked up some Hyper MATS to check them out. I already have Guilds of Ravnica stuff coming in. I decided to pick up some Planeswalker stuff from previous sets and also decided to make a big collector purchase with the 2013 SDCC set. The store owner cut me in on a good deal with that. Sold it to me cheaper than I could get on Ebay at least since it was missing the sleeve that goes over it.

I REALLY want to take the cards out of the box and get them double sleeved and thrown into a portfolio... but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or if it doesn't even matter. I'll keep the box. But to tell you the truth, I don't really care about the boxes. I know it would take a hit on the price to not have it, but it's so cheaply made and ugly. What are your opinions on this for me going forward with collecting?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY want to take the cards out of the box and get them double sleeved and thrown into a portfolio... but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or if it doesn't even matter. I'll keep the box. But to tell you the truth, I don't really care about the boxes. I know it would take a hit on the price to not have it, but it's so cheaply made and ugly. What are your opinions on this for me going forward with collecting?
None of those cards are worth much, so single sleeving should be just fine. I'm not sure what box you're referring to. If you mean the boxes for the planeswalker decks, then yeah, they aren't great for card storage. I've been storing things in a pretty ad-hoc way, so I'm sure someone else could give better suggestions.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm looking at what the mythic edition planeswalkers are going for on ebay, and it's making me pretty sad that it wasn't sold in the EU for 250 euro. Seems like the value placed on those special planewalkers more than makes it's worth the premium price.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those cards are worth much, so single sleeving should be just fine. I'm not sure what box you're referring to. If you mean the boxes for the planeswalker decks, then yeah, they aren't great for card storage. I've been storing things in a pretty ad-hoc way, so I'm sure someone else could give better suggestions.

The SDCC 2013 box with the 5 Planeswalkers in the center of the picture.

45152317771_49be46989b_b.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. Having so much fun testing decks in Arena. Having a lot of success with this Thousand-Year Storm brew. Has enough interaction early and has the card draw/mana to restock the hand once Thousand-Year Storm comes out. The First Eruption fits soooo good in it as well. Allows me to possibly get Storm out turn 4. Clears the board against a lot of these token decks being played. All the Ixalan cards that give treasure are also clutch. Being able to discard and pay only once but then get multiple card draws and treasure tokens feels so good. Went ahead and ordered the paper version but will continue to test on Arena. Need to figure out a side board as well. Looking at adding Banefire, Shake the Foundation, Risk Factor, and Chemister's Insight for SB/MB.

The Payoff
4x Thousand Year Storm

Creature Removal
4x Shock
4x The First Eruption
4x Lightning Strike

Card Draw
4x Opt
4x Radical Idea
4x Pirate's Pillage
4x Pirate's Prize

Creature Bounce
2x Depths of Desire

Lands
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls
8x Island
6x Mountain
2x Field of Ruin
Reminds me of Pyromancer's Ascension when it was legal in Standard. I like. Shame there's no Ponder/Preordain tho lol

Oct 25, 2017

The Payoff
4x Thousand Year Storm

Creature Removal
4x Shock
4x The First Eruption
4x Lightning Strike

Card Draw
4x Opt
4x Radical Idea
4x Pirate's Pillage
4x Pirate's Prize

Creature Bounce
2x Depths of Desire

Lands
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls
8x Island
6x Mountain
2x Field of Ruin
This looks pretty entertaining, but as a super new player I have a silly question: What's the win state? I've been reading Thousand Year Storm and as far as I can tell it would let you duplicate your removal spells, but is that enough to kill through face damage? I guess if you get 2-3 storms out then you could duplicate a whole bunch of shocks or lightning strikes?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty entertaining, but as a super new player I have a silly question: What's the win state? I've been reading Thousand Year Storm and as far as I can tell it would let you duplicate your removal spells, but is that enough to kill through face damage? I guess if you get 2-3 storms out then you could duplicate a whole bunch of shocks or lightning strikes?
The combo is basically play TYS, survive a turn while protecting it and then combo off with a simple shock followed by brass bounty, wich will give you enough mana to jump start/play enough instant and sorceries to win the game.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-thousand-year-storm-standard

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MTG Goldfish put 30 budget casual standard legal decks up for under $20 on their site.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/article...-20-for-magic-the-gathering-guilds-of-ravnica

They are not top tier by any means but it seems like a great way to introduce new players into the game without breaking the bank and all are upgradable if people decide to get more serious with them. Even dropping another $10-50 on them can make them good.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
There's also another avenue you can take with Izzet: play as many cantrips as you can (Opt, Crash Through, Warlord's Fury, Chart a Course, Tormenting Voice) to dig your deck for Enigma Drake and Crackling Drake while simultaneously making them huge. Then play Maximize Velocity to give them haste and deal massive amounts of damage. Arclight Phoenix is even playable in this deck!

Basically, you can go control, combo or aggro. Is there anything Izzet can't do?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
modo106k4fg7.png

Finally, an undefeated deck.

Surprisingly, this isn't even the best Dimir deck I faced today. I played against someone who had Lazav, Etrata and two Nightveil Predators. He also had Gruesome Menagerie to recur Lazav and a random three drop. How do you like dem infinite Nightveil Predators? Leagues are so bomb heavy I swear.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I know I'm a page late but I finally matched up with someone who was running a thief of sanity in competitive draft and managed to drop him on turn 3 ALL THREE GAMES. If I could flip a virtual table I would. I won the first with birds playing defense but he actually decked me game 2. First time that has ever happened to me in a draft, paper or on arena.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who woulda thunk that a repeatable gonti with evasion and decent counters to backup would be straight insane

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Brass Bounty isn't in the deck, so I'm guessing the pirate treasures are used to similar effect?

Yea. I didn't see Saffron Olive's video until after playing this deck. Watched it last night before going to bed to see how some of the cards he used played out. Brass's Bounty looked hella cool with 100+ treasure tokens but I like having the option to play the bounce and card draw + treasure earlier in the game with impact.

The cantrips Izzet deck is real. Def want to try that out eventually. Wee dragonauts, Adeliz, the 2 drakes. Looks like fun that can also have 1 explosive turn to win.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. I didn't see Saffron Olive's video until after playing this deck. Watched it last night before going to bed to see how some of the cards he used played out. Brass's Bounty looked hella cool with 100+ treasure tokens but I like having the option to play the bounce and card draw + treasure earlier in the game with impact.

The cantrips Izzet deck is real. Def want to try that out eventually. Wee dragonauts, Adeliz, the 2 drakes. Looks like fun that can also have 1 explosive turn to win.

The cantrip Drakes deck is way more consistent than I expected. A lot of decks have a hard time with containing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.