• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Well, limited seems like a good option if I ever learn about tournaments around me. And yeah, my idea was playing eternal (particularly modern, so Mirrodin onwards AFAIK) with whatever I have plus some new stuff but I was wondering if there's enough player base or interest in stuff like Commander since it uses all expansions as well or if it was more like a niche inside a niche.
I'd say Commander's more the way to go versus Modern, from what I've seen. Should be easier to find games at the bare minimum, and though I haven't looked at much Modern, I wouldn't be surprised if you can build a decent deck cheaper (and there are always the Commander decks to use as a starting point.)

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Cards from supplemental sets that weren't also printed in Standard legal sets from 8th Ed/Mirrodin and on are only legal in legacy, commander, vintage and pauper.

Thanks! That makes it clear. I guess I have a better idea on what to get now (some boosters of the newest standard stuff, maybe a 2019 deck build set). I'll guess one commander deck is not out of the question if there's enough people playing, maybe I can dig through my old stuff to see if I have any cool legendary around to build a make-do around it to try before purchasing.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! That makes it clear. I guess I have a better idea on what to get now (some boosters of the newest standard stuff, maybe a 2019 deck build set). I'll guess one commander deck is not out of the question if there's enough people playing, maybe I can dig through my old stuff to see if I have any cool legendary around to build a make-do around it to try before purchasing.
Commander can be very fun if you can find the right play group. It can also be miserable if you end up in the wrong one. What sort of decks do you like to play?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Commander can be very fun if you can find the right play group. It can also be miserable if you end up in the wrong one. What sort of decks do you like to play?

No idea of the actual English terms, but I like to play "zerg rush" stuff (mostly green and/or red), black or half-black decks using necromancy or sacrifices, and I have a particular black/red/blue deck from the Kamigawa era tweaked with some newer stuff focused on spirits and arcane spells retro-feeding one another constantly, especially the Zubera, which is still a blast to play if you get it right. Basically constantly exploding creatures on the enemy's face, making them discard and helping me draw extra.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Pulled a Maelstrom Pulse as my box topper which was underwhelming as was the 2 mythics I pulled in the rare slot which were Vengevine and Mikaeus.

I pulled 3 foil rares of Back to Basics, Nourishing Shoal, and Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Also 1 foil mythic of Mana Vault.

Box had a total current value of $367 low on TCG Player. Not bad for $240 I suppose. Not sure if I should try selling the foils or hold onto them for a higher price.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
WotC should hire Sanderson to do all their books. He is one of the best fantasy authors out there currently. His Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series are great books.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got my box.

Karn box topper.

Got a second Karn in the box, plus Mana Vault, foil Emrakul, a million copies of Spoils of the Vault to go with the million copies I opened in draft, an Ancient Tomb, Karakas, Noble Hierarch, Through the Breach, Entomb, Gamble, Colonnade, and a bunch of jank which will apparently be in a commander deck I own somewhere

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
I got my box.

Karn box topper.

Got a second Karn in the box, plus Mana Vault, foil Emrakul, a million copies of Spoils of the Vault to go with the million copies I opened in draft, an Ancient Tomb, Karakas, Noble Hierarch, Through the Breach, Entomb, Gamble, Colonnade, and a bunch of jank which will apparently be in a commander deck I own somewhere

Damn, awesome box!

The second box that I tried cancelling still came in so I decided to just open it. My second box was trash compared to the first. Only two mythics being Lord of Extinction and another Mikaeus. Value of the box only hit $210 which was only because of the foil Engineered Explosives and box topper EE. Literally everything else was cards I didn't need. Definitely should have contacted the site to send it back.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, awesome box!

The second box that I tried cancelling still came in so I decided to just open it. My second box was trash compared to the first. Only two mythics being Lord of Extinction and another Mikaeus. Value of the box only hit $210 which was only because of the foil Engineered Explosives and box topper EE. Literally everything else was cards I didn't need. Definitely should have contacted the site to send it back.

I also have a box I don't want - no returns on it though. Hoping my luck is better than yours tonight.

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope you do! This is the first box I've bought that wasn't at least worth the price I paid for the box.

I'm just hoping for some cards I can actually use. I don't play Modern so all of those are just gonna get sold by me, but I'd rather not wait 6 months to do it (though I will). I most just want a box topper that I can use in an EDH deck. If not, I'm selling whatever I get to get an Eternal Witness box topper as that thing is just beyond sexy.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, awesome box!

I'm trying to get into EDH and starting with changing around the Lord Windgrace deck to be an actual lands deck (since I own tons of fetchlands and lands) and I've already got a pretty good trade going for the non-foil Karn.

The Box Topper Karn looks pretty fantastic in person though. I wanted box topper Dark Depths though and I haven't really decided if I'm gonna try and swing that trade or not. I don't really have anything I want to use Karn in.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
img_20181211_2130020qi31.jpg

asdfsadfsadfsadf6yelg.gif

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TFW you have an entire case of UMA you want to crack but you're stuck at work for several more hours.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think the learning experience on Arena is pretty bad. I tried to teach my roommate with the game and there were too many priority passes without prompts and complicated abilities resolving.

That intro experience needs to be both better and completely optional. It also needs to give you a better progression towards having a real deck you can start to play with without requiring you to win all of the time. That sort of goes hand-in-hand with giving players a better progression map in the game because just "acquiring all the cards" is way too daunting.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Magic Duels is still the better tutorial, weirdly enough. They should put in more single player content into Arena.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Magic Duels is still the better tutorial, weirdly enough. They should put in more single player content into Arena.
I don't hate the concept of the initial experience, it's just too shallow and too mandatory. The problem with learning the game is that most modern creature design isn't "2/2 with Vigilance" it's like "2/2 that does a thing when it attacks and isn't blocked and that thing is at least somewhat complicated."

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I just noticed I might want some ultra-cheapo Standard deck. I have an eye on this one:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1475462#paper

Is there by any chance anything I can replace the Steam Vents with? Not counting the sideboard, those ones are 2/3 of the total cost.

Edit: draw replacements for Chart the course would also be welcome

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I just noticed I might want some ultra-cheapo Standard deck. I have an eye on this one:

Is there by any chance anything I can replace the Steam Vents with? Not counting the sideboard, those ones are 2/3 of the total cost.

It won't be as good, but you can replace the Steam Vents with Izzet Guildgates, the Chart a Course you can't really replace and are really cheap so you shouldn't.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

izzet guildgates are cheap, and worse, replacement for vents if you want to go budget.

but in the end if you want to play magic in the years to come, buying duals is never a bad investment because they usually gets reprinted and are almost mandatory in the eternal formats.

and you can't replace chart a course, decks like that need it or they don't function.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Box Toppers

Karn Liberated
Mana Vault
Leovold
Sigarda

I think I did pretty good, guys.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be as good, but you can replace the Steam Vents with Izzet Guildgates, the Chart a Course you can't really replace and are really cheap so you shouldn't.
izzet guildgates are cheap, and worse, replacement for vents if you want to go budget.

but in the end if you want to play magic in the years to come, buying duals is never a bad investment because they usually gets reprinted and are almost mandatory in the eternal formats.

and you can't replace chart a course, decks like that need it or they don't function.

Thanks to both! The 4x Izzet Guildgates are already in that deck on top of the Steam vents so I thought about the Highland Lake from 2019 collection which is almost exactly the same with a different name and can work as a make-do (or even just replace with regular lands not to rely too much on stuff that starts tapped).

And I guess I'll eat the cost of chart a course, it's 10€ total for 4 of them but I'm sure I can try some trades or just settle for the English language ones which are cheaper in my country. I'm not exactly looking to be tournament competitive but to at least have *something* to play with when people don't feel like whipping out their modern deck or play a long-ass game of commander.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
To be honest I'm not sure why it's running the full Chart a Course/Tormenting Voice package with 0 Arclights, but I guess if that's how people want to run it go nuts.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I'm not sure why it's running the full Chart a Course/Tormenting Voice package with 0 Arclights, but I guess if that's how people want to run it go nuts.
Because those cantrips grows the drakes asap and with a goblin in play they are almost free.

With the Phoenix deck I'm usually thorn between tormenting voice or discovery, but in that deck drawing two is much more valuable than filtering your deck Imo.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Mmmmm I'm also considering reworking the Golgari guild kit deck into a Standard deck since I drafted a Vraska, Golgari Queen from a booster pack and it looks like it's widely used, plus I already have some of the required creatures. Lands are obviously the highest cost of it all but I think it will be worth it since, as you said, they will be useful when the deck gets phased out to Modern.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmmm I'm also considering reworking the Golgari guild kit deck into a Standard deck since I drafted a Vraska, Golgari Queen from a booster pack and it looks like it's widely used, plus I already have some of the required creatures. Lands are obviously the highest cost of it all but I think it will be worth it since, as you said, they will be useful when the deck gets phased out to Modern.
Most of those kits aren't legal in Standard are they?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

The Izzet deck looks fine, just shift the Niv-Mizzets into the mainboard, dump the Quasiduplicates for Dive Downs, and probably replace the Tormenting Voices with Chemister's Insights. Maybe squeeze in a few Syncopates or Negates.

Drakes is kind of falling off in favor of Niv-Mizzet decks, and Quasidupli-Drakes is even more prone to the problems that are already making people shift away from Drakes.

Golgari Midrange can actually be more expensive to kit out. You need Vraskas, Viviens, Contempts, Carnage Tyrants, etc. A Niv deck is basically just a pile of jank uncommons and a couple of smug cats.

RNA - Light the Stage
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
OhUqk6z.jpg

Light the Stage 2R

Sorcery

Spectacle R

Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you can play these cards.

We don't know what Spectacle is, but it must be an alternate cost or cost reduction mechanic. Perhaps discarding a card?

Note the effect lasts until the end of your next turn.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So the key pulls from my four boxes aside from the box toppers.

Foil Back to Basics (!!!)
Foil Noble Hierarch and regular Noble Hiearch
3x Tarmogoyfs (not even kidding)
Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls
Karn Liberated and Foil Kozilek in the same pack
Foil Seize the Day with regular Seize the Day in the same pack (lol)
Ulamog
Emrakul
Foil Kitchen Finks
2x Foil Sleight of Hands
Mikaeus
Temporal Manipulation
2x Demonic Tutors
All is Dust
Engineered Explosives
Foil Devoted Druid
2x Gaddok Teeg
2x Urborg, Tom of Yawgmoth
Celestial Colonnade
Raging Ravine
3x Creeping Tar Pit
Maelstrom Pulse
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Bridge from Below
4x Gamble (lol)
Foil Life from the Loam
Sigarda
Balefire Dragon

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Went to my friend's and he went through his Ultimate Masters box. He pulled a regular Cavern of Souls and a Lord of Extinction box topper. His box only had a low TCG Player value of $240. Doesn't seem like a good value still.

Oct 28, 2017

Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls
Ulamog
Emrakul
Foil Kitchen Finks
2x Foil Sleight of Hands
Mikaeus
Temporal Manipulation
2x Demonic Tutors
All is Dust
Engineered Explosives
Foil Devoted Druid
2x Gaddok Teeg
Celestial Colonnade
Raging Ravine
3x Creeping Tar Pit
Maelstrom Pulse
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Bridge from Below
4x Gamble (lol)
Foil Life from the Loam
Sigarda
Balefire Dragon

I got a foil back to basics too. Looks pretty amazing honestly. Probably will just buy list it to card kingdom though.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls
Ulamog
Emrakul
Foil Kitchen Finks
2x Foil Sleight of Hands
Mikaeus
Temporal Manipulation
2x Demonic Tutors
All is Dust
Engineered Explosives
Foil Devoted Druid
2x Gaddok Teeg
Celestial Colonnade
Raging Ravine
3x Creeping Tar Pit
Maelstrom Pulse
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Bridge from Below
4x Gamble (lol)
Foil Life from the Loam
Sigarda
Balefire Dragon
I think Goyf is the card that is likely to continue a downward trend. A giant 1G beater is just getting power creeped out.

The argument used to be "Goyf wouldn't be that strong in Standard!" but it's gotten to the point where I might say it's not that strong in Modern, either. Even the most powerful Tarmogoyf draws aren't good against the number of hyper-linear decks in Modern.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally bit the bullet with the Izzat deck I was discussing yesterday since I still had some spare money from my bd last month and got the Steam Vents because why the fuck not. Sadly there was no one playing Magic at my LGS for a quick test so I'll see on Friday.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what're goyf's competition?
death's shadow, hallowed one, ...?
It isn't that there's a straight up replacement, it's that creatures that don't do anything aren't good enough in Modern these days because your opponent has like 3 4/4s on turn 2 or something. Unless they lose their minds and make Deathrite Shaman legal again there's no reason to play BGx right now.

Oct 28, 2017
So I've decided to hold all of my pulls from my boxes except for one regular Tarmogoyf, which I have buylisted to Cardkingdom along with a few other non-UMA cards. I figure it will appreciate in value in the long term, but there's a few other UMA cards I need right now and those will appreciate also at a similar rate, so this should work out alright as basically a trade. That's sensible, right? I don't want to buy more cards with cash until next month so store credit seems to be the way to go.

Also, how should I sell my box toppers? I have a Tarmogoyf and a Temporal Manipulation. I have an eBay account but it doesn't have much feedback at all so that would hurt my sales, and also I'm worried about scammers for a $50 or $200 card. Buylisting it seems like a safer route. What do you guy think?

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've decided to hold all of my pulls from my boxes except for one regular Tarmogoyf, which I have buylisted to Cardkingdom along with a few other non-UMA cards. I figure it will appreciate in value in the long term, but there's a few other UMA cards I need right now and those will appreciate also at a similar rate, so this should work out alright as basically a trade. That's sensible, right? I don't want to buy more cards with cash until next month so store credit seems to be the way to go.

Also, how should I sell my box toppers? I have a Tarmogoyf and a Temporal Manipulation. I have an eBay account but it doesn't have much feedback at all so that would hurt my sales, and also I'm worried about scammers for a $50 or $200 card. Buylisting it seems like a safer route. What do you guy think?
I sold my Expedition lands on eBay and it was just fine, but I have a reasonable amount of seller feedback (like 100 total so not that much) and have sold stuff a bunch. I just took a ton of pictures and described it as close as I could and made sure to have delivery signature only.

Status
Not open for further replies.