• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I can't make heads or tails when people stream Arena. It might as well be yugioh to me.

I'm still waiting for Bolas to actually get shit done. Last time he went to Amonkhet he bred an army of super undead didn't he? When is he finally going to stomp Ravnica and erase it from the face of the multiverse? Just steal Lord of the Rings wholesale and make Bolas Sauron. Even his horns look like the Eye of Sauron.
Remember when M13 was supposed to be all Bolas themed and then we got itsnothing.gif? They have a history of really disappointing Bolas reveals and plot points. Let's hope this is finally the end.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Right? It's shitty because I'm legit interested in the Bolas details. They just won't give them up.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm still waiting for Bolas to actually get shit done. Last time he went to Amonkhet he bred an army of super undead didn't he? When is he finally going to stomp Ravnica and erase it from the face of the multiverse? Just steal Lord of the Rings wholesale and make Bolas Sauron. Even his horns look like the Eye of Sauron.
In-universe it's only been like a month since the events of Amonkhet. Ixalan and GRN (and likely RNA) take place during the first half and second half of Dominaria, respectively. The set after the next one will almost certainly be MTG: infinity War with Bolas & Friends facing down The Gatewatch & Pals.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Tbh I can't make heads or tails when people stream Arena. It might as well be yugioh to me.

I kind of hope you're joking. The UI is like a hundred times more readable by default than MTGO, and if you get that Twitch plug-in that lets you mouse over cards for details it's basically in a whole other universe.

I can watch MTGO and understand it, but if someone's streaming Standard and they aren't doing it on Arena I'll still probably go yell at them to get their ass on Arena.

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of hope you're joking. The UI is like a hundred times more readable by default than MTGO, and if you get that Twitch plug-in that lets you mouse over cards for details it's basically in a whole other universe.

I can watch MTGO and understand it, but if someone's streaming Standard and they aren't doing it on Arena I'll still probably go yell at them to get their ass on Arena.

What's this plugin?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the plugin but even if I did, I'm not sure how it'd improve the viewing experience. I want information readily available without having to do extra stuff. Sometimes I'm doing something else while glancing at a stream or I watch them on my phone which is already a pain to use. The sound effects and animations are superfluous. Cards are slightly rotated instead of 90 degrees which annoys me especially on a phone's smaller screen.

I agree with Finkel. It needs to be as simple and barebones as possible. Imagine a chess game where they add attack and death animations to your pieces. It's just unneccessary. I'm not sure if there's an option now to disable animations. There wasn't during launch if I remember correctly.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the plugin but even if I did, I'm not sure how it'd improve the viewing experience. I want information readily available without having to do extra stuff. Sometimes I'm doing something else while glancing at a stream or I watch them on my phone which is already a pain to use. The sound effects and animations are superfluous. Cards are slightly rotated instead of 90 degrees which annoys me especially on a phone's smaller screen.

I agree with Finkel. It needs to be as simple and barebones as possible. Imagine a chess game where they add attack and death animations to your pieces. It's just unneccessary. I'm not sure if there's an option now to disable animations. There wasn't during launch if I remember correctly.

ST_Battle_Chess.png

Battle Chess was (and is) the shit.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

It's called Deckmaster if I remember right, not at home at the moment to link.

Admittedly the animations are a bit much (especially since so many Mythic cards are... not interesting things to animate), but it's worth putting up for them to have 100% more readability. It's like how using a GUI requires slightly more commands to reach certain functions than a raw command prompt, but it's well worth it to have the pure readability of the GUI.

Sep 14, 2018

You've probably seen it already, the streamers enable it not you, you can hover over anything on the screen and it brings up what you need to know, you can check graveyards, exile zones, players' hands, lands, creatures, pretty much everything, most streamers have it up by now, I'm pretty sure wotc had nothing to do with it, it was made by a fan or someone who works at twitch or something.

Oct 28, 2017
You've probably seen it already, the streamers enable it not you, you can hover over anything on the screen and it brings up what you need to know, you can check graveyards, exile zones, players' hands, lands, creatures, pretty much everything, most streamers have it up by now, I'm pretty sure wotc had nothing to do with it, it was made by a fan or someone who works at twitch or something.

Oh cool. I never tried. I was wondering how a viewer plugin could know but this makes more sense.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I guess if you're going to speculate something, speculating that Rakdos will make Angrath better isn't a terrible call.

I kind of feel like the deck that comes out of Rakdos might be too fast to really use him, though.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I'm partly frustrated, partly expecting people to tell me to "git gud" but... aside for just flat-out (politely) declining to play with them any more casual EDH games, what do we do about people that run insane combo decks that make the 3 other people roll their eyes while the offender is already shuffling their deck for like the 5th time in a row between tutors and land fetches, rinse and repeat almost every single turn?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Angrath saw decent play in the sideboard of RB midrange decks that were popular during dom m19 as noted above it's a great threat vs control

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I'm partly frustrated, partly expecting people to tell me to "git gud" but... aside for just flat-out (politely) declining to play with them any more casual EDH games, what do we do about people that run insane combo decks that make the 3 other people roll their eyes while the offender is already shuffling their deck for like the 5th time in a row between tutors and land fetches, rinse and repeat almost every single turn?
Online or irl?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Pretty much the opposite of "git gud", honestly. EDH is the format where the answer is usually telling people to get less good. If someone's blatantly playing at a far more competitive level than the rest of the group, the passive-aggressive solution is usually to hard focus them as a table until they start presenting less of a threat, while the mature solution is to talk to them about it and ask them if they can't play a deck more in line with the group's meta.

I don't think even CDH players would tell you to "git gud" unless you're specifically trying to play at CDH tables. That's not really what the format's about.

As far as shuffling due to fetches and tutors goes, encourage sub-competitive "signalling"; basically the opposite of what you're trained to do in competitive Magic (ie, search at the last second). When someone plays a fetch they should be cracking it immediately, telling the table what they're searching for, and either playing a card as if they already found the land and have the mana or passing while they shuffle up. When someone plays a tutor, if it's a show-and-tell tutor they should just tell the table what they're searching for and let play continue; if it's a secret tutor, they should be honest and if they aren't going to play the card immediately just tell the table to continue while they search and shuffle.

The player in question might not even be intending to/wanting to hold priority while they're searching, and just following the "proper" procedures because in lieu of permission to do otherwise it's the obvious thing to do. You might want to check with them in a non-confrontational fashion first.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much the opposite of "git gud", honestly. EDH is the format where the answer is usually telling people to get less good. If someone's blatantly playing at a far more competitive level than the rest of the group, the passive-aggressive solution is usually to hard focus them as a table until they start presenting less of a threat, while the mature solution is to talk to them about it and ask them if they can't play a deck more in line with the group's meta.

I don't think even CDH players would tell you to "git gud" unless you're specifically trying to play at CDH tables. That's not really what the format's about.

As far as shuffling due to fetches and tutors goes, encourage sub-competitive "signalling"; basically the opposite of what you're trained to do in competitive Magic (ie, search at the last second). When someone plays a fetch they should be cracking it immediately, telling the table what they're searching for, and either playing a card as if they already found the land and have the mana or passing while they shuffle up. When someone plays a tutor, if it's a show-and-tell tutor they should just tell the table what they're searching for and let play continue; if it's a secret tutor, they should be honest and if they aren't going to play the card immediately just tell the table to continue while they search and shuffle.

The player in question might not even be intending to/wanting to hold priority while they're searching, and just following the "proper" procedures because in lieu of permission to do otherwise it's the obvious thing to do. You might want to check with them in a non-confrontational fashion first.

Oh well, I guess it's time to try to get diplomatic first about what kind of decks that person plays in casual games. I hope they get the message (and I don't get a reputation as being "that salty guy" since I'm the one with the less experience and janky decks).

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Well, it's possible there's no easy answer. I played with a guy before whose one and only deck was an Arjun Storm deck, which... uh, yeah, there's no fixing that fucking pile to not make everyone at the table hate it, whether through play procedure or deck-building. Because it was his only deck, "just play something else" wasn't really an option.

It's always worth looking for the easy answer, though. It's a social game, maybe there's a social solution.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Irl. I really REALLY don't want to be an asshole but ganging up on him 3 vs 1 so he can let the rest play seems like the best immediate option. What if they don't seem to get the message?
IMO Sometimes you gotta be the asshole to get your point across. Targeting him is a clear response to his actions and fair political move. If he doesn't want it to continue, he should alter his playstyle or decks to match the level of the rest of the table. Why should he be the only one that has fun?

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is spoiler season usually this slow? I never pay attention to it but I'm itchin for some Orzhov reveals and it's just trickling in, I'm guessing because of the holidays.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I never understood why they spoil things so late. There's more than enough cards in the modern large sets to start spoiling a card a day starting as soon as the previous set releases and still have a bunch of cards left over to give to different communities and influencers to promotionally spoil for you as normal. Just start with the vanilla nothing commons like pillarfield ox or tolarian scholar that only maybe start to hint at the plane or conflict and then get to the really basic mechanics reveal cards about halfway and wrap up with a lot of the bombastic and plot spoilery rares and mythics just prior to release.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why they spoil things so late. There's more than enough cards in the modern large sets to start spoiling a card a day starting as soon as the previous set releases and still have a bunch of cards left over to give to different communities and influencers to promotionally spoil for you as normal. Just start with the vanilla nothing commons like pillarfield ox or tolarian scholar that only maybe start to hint at the plane or conflict and then get to the really basic mechanics reveal cards about halfway and wrap up with a lot of the bombastic and plot spoilery rares and mythics just prior to release.
They used to have three full weeks of card reveals, but they learned the people just lose interest after two weeks. Several months wouldn't be a great idea.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'd love a long spoiler period. People pick apart everything from lore implications of flavor text to limited applications for even the simplest vanilla common card reveals, let alone the hot takes on how playable something will be in whatever formats, and there would probably be useful weekly round up type articles if you didn't want to follow it day to day. Getting the bulk of a set dumped a few days before prerelease always creates this mad rush to memorize and evaluate everything all at once that i'm not a huge fan of.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'd rather have spoilers chunked. I'm not interested in checking out a single card in isolation unless it's the first-time introduction of a mechanic, a really unique mythic, or a format-defining rare/uncommon. There's generally only a handful of those per set.

Sep 14, 2018
Long spoiler seasons are obnoxious, just dump every card in a week and be done with it, we don't need to scrutinize every aspect of every card, that just makes people get sick of the set.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Winning thread titles so far:
These 5 Lands Will SHOCK You!
Citizen Kaya
0 days since the last Standard Baan

Since there wasn't a clear consensus last time, checking again.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, kind of stupid question regarding the current Standard meta since I've re-started playing MTG recently after years. Is the current situation of two different sets of dual lands with not only capacity to ETB untapped, but also enabling one another (since shocks also have basic types for the checks) a common occurrence? Like, isn't is that much of a power creep that might get the chop once the next rotation happens?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, kind of stupid question regarding the current Standard meta since I've re-started playing MTG recently after years. Is the current situation of two different sets of dual lands with not only capacity to ETB untapped, but also enabling one another (since shocks also have basic types for the checks) a common occurrence? Like, isn't is that much of a power creep that might get the chop once the next rotation happens?
Mana goes from good to bad via rotation all the time. Sometimes it's real real good like now, and sometimes it's real awful. Just depends on what Wizards decides to put out. Like, this isn't quite as flexible as Khans standard was, but it seems pretty strong.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo good chance of checks going the way of the dodo back into Modern in 9 months and getting a maybe-not-so-good replacement by then. Just taking all the variables into account to talk myself out of building expensive decks and risking them getting completely nerfed and unplayable once the rotation happens and no viable replacements appear.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Soooo good chance of checks going the way of the dodo back into Modern in 9 months and getting a maybe-not-so-good replacement by then. Just taking all the variables into account to talk myself out of building expensive decks and risking them getting completely nerfed and unplayable once the rotation happens and no viable replacements appear.
Yeah, traditionally the mana base changes pretty drastically with big rotations. Checks always return and Shocks are never a bad investment though, so it's not a bad standard to buy lands in honestly.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, traditionally the mana base changes pretty drastically with big rotations. Checks always return and Shocks are never a bad investment though, so it's not a bad standard to buy lands in honestly.

Yup, it's not the lands themselves what worries me, it's getting sucked into building decks that rely too much in them and ending up with a bunch of borderline playable cardboard for other formats after the rotation happens.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There's usually a cycle or two of "new" duals interwoven into the repeating cycles of "classic" duals, like the Bicycle Lands from Amonkhet. Depending on when and how rotation happens (it's been a fucking mess for most of recent memory) that tends to lead to waxes and wanes in Standard land quality, yeah. Especially in scenarios where the most recent new duals just aren't especially powerful. (Temples, for example.)

Status
Not open for further replies.