• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any advice? I tried blue and every single player I played against tried blue as well, but other than that I'm not sure.
It's either forcing UR aggro or durdling around w/ one of many things. Like I said before U = G > B > R/W is my overall ranking for the colours but I've had great success w/ doing silly things like looping Eldest Reborn w/ Tragic Poet, a terrible card on its own, too and in general soul salvage decks.

Generally you should be looking to either be extremely agressive or very grindy. Card draw is very important, divination, dark bargain, soul salvage that kinda stuff.

There's a ton to write about w/ dominaria but there's also a lot written already you can read up on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year's holiday card
DqYlAvNWwAAUO6s.jpg:small

They're also testing out a new product with Ravnica Allegiance

"Collector Booster"
MSRP $12.99
15 cards - 2 foil of any rarity, 3 rares or mythic rares, 10 uncommons

Triple the price of a normal booster seems like a bit much for no commons, but I don't know, maybe the math works out.
I can see people drafting those

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Do you have any advice? I tried blue and every single player I played against tried blue as well, but other than that I'm not sure.

"Throw arcane flight on cold water snappers" was my default. I'd draft as many of each as I could and play defense until I could have a flying 5/6 hexproofer. Match with black or white for large creature removal spells and a bunch of small useful dudes to defend you and 7 wins was consistently obtainable.
White also had the benefit of on serras wings and dub to toss on your snappers. I'd say 60 if my drafts I went blue white, 30 blue black, and 10 percent some other combo.

I'm usually all about "blue is for lames" but there is no denying how good it is in dominara.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year's holiday card
DqYlAvNWwAAUO6s.jpg:small

"Collector Booster"
MSRP $12.99

Triple the price of a normal booster seems like a bit much for no commons, but I don't know, maybe the math works out.

Seems like buffed up standard showdown pack.

Oct 25, 2017
"Throw arcane flight on cold water snappers" was my default. I'd draft as many of each as I could and play defense until I could have a flying 5/6 hexproofer. Match with black or white for large creature removal spells and a bunch of small useful dudes to defend you and 7 wins was consistently obtainable.
White also had the benefit of on serras wings and dub to toss on your snappers. I'd say 60 if my drafts I went blue white, 30 blue black, and 10 percent some other combo.

I'm usually all about "blue is for lames" but there is no denying how good it is in dominara.
Thanks for the tips. Another problem I have had is that despite trying to get the ratios just right (18/40 lands is decent I believe?), I drew 9 lands in my first 13 cards last game, and there wasn't any coming back from that.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they were removing Competitive Constructed but then never did it because it was the worst idea of all time

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips. Another problem I have had is that despite trying to get the ratios just right (18/40 lands is decent I believe?), I drew 9 lands in my first 13 cards last game, and there wasn't any coming back from that.

I usually do 18 and 24 for a total of 42. It just feels like a better ratio to me, although it also varies according to curve and if I have any bombs I need to try and draw every game.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
the only reason to ever go above 40 is if your opponents only wincon is mill, otherwise you just lower the overall deck quality of your deck.

The standard ratio is 17/23 of lands to spells, though that varies on your deck. Low curve aggro decks can play 16 lands or less and decks w/ an incredible powerlevel might want 18 to always be able to cast them.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh no, please not the "sometimes more than 40 cards can be better" discussion.

I have seen this Holiday themed promo with the bug, will this be an FNM promo or how do you get it?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, please not the "sometimes more than 40 cards can be better" discussion.

I have seen this Holiday themed promo with the bug, will this be an FNM promo or how do you get it?
It's only given to employees and people who have partnered with Wizards. People then sell these online, which is why Wizards is bothering to note them.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like the Special booster is going to be a limited test in America- what's weird is that it seems like it's an item for the Japanese market?!?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I often stay at 42 post sideboard in dimir draft, if it's grindy
oh yeah dimir decks deck themselves if they are light on threats.

Blizzard these are all my dominaria draft decks so far
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
Surprisingly did the worst w/ the tatyova deck only going 3-3 and missing a jund deck I onnly went 5-3 w/.

Last edited:

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
the only reason to ever go above 40 is if your opponents only wincon is mill, otherwise you just lower the overall deck quality of your deck.

The standard ratio is 17/23 of lands to spells, though that varies on your deck. Low curve aggro decks can play 16 lands or less and decks w/ an incredible powerlevel might want 18 to always be able to cast them.

It's always worked for me. But sure.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
A 41 card deck isn't so significantly worse than a 40 card deck that you're going to notice it over a reasonable sample size, but think of it this way:

Look at each card in your deck. Would you rather be drawing that card than any other card in your deck in most or all circumstances?

You're reducing the odds of drawing all the cards you would rather draw over that card by including it, so if the answer is "No", you can cut a card.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Stumbled upon a great Modern deck while trying out a Tiny Leaders build against my wife...pretty janky but hoo boy if it works. Going to brew a rough version and try it out in a week or two.

I can't decide between mono-red Valduk with a shitload of 0 CMC artifacts + Bludgeon Brawl + Impact Tremors + maybe Pandemonium or a Boros build that uses Shuko+Greaves+Grafted Wargear instead with burn spells+Quest for Pure Flame and white control cards. That dude is nuts if you get him suited up and he doesn't even have to attack himself. Like, if you can manage to get out a Pandemonium you could just initiate combat and put it all to the dome for the win without attacking. Shit is crazy. I wish Goblin Bombardment was Modern legal.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
A 41 card deck isn't so significantly worse than a 40 card deck that you're going to notice it over a reasonable sample size, but think of it this way:

Look at each card in your deck. Would you rather be drawing that card than any other card in your deck in most or all circumstances?

You're reducing the odds of drawing all the cards you would rather draw over that card by including it, so if the answer is "No", you can cut a card.

MoxManiac

Nov 17, 2017
So the greedy dominaria draft thing is fun. Fun fact, after a little testing, i've found that 20 lands (50% of the deck!) feels right for the format.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Got my Arclight Phoenixes before they jumped too high. Still not as cheap as some I'm sure. TCGPlayer listed 20+ at 29.99 sometime this evening. Haven't followed Modern too closely this weekend but I know it was making an appearance.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
When you're rewarded for first picking Torgaar.

VAP2BhB.jpg

It's nice to be drafting Dominaria again. I really prefer it to GRN.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clans & Legions
Nicky Drayden

A newly promoted Wojek stumbles upon a massive conspiracy.

* A minotaur named Weslyn is promoted to Boros Wojek.
* They (I don't think they specify a gender) are bothered by Aresaan, a Boros angel who is a clone of Razia (so those still exist). She was demoted for letting 15000 Boros soldiers die after making a bad decision in a battle 30 years ago. I'm unclear if this is a reference to the original Ravnica story. Regardless, she continues acting superior to Weslyn, to their annoyance.
* Weslyn sees a hidden code in their congratulations letter, which leads them to a Gruul informant.
* They play a chess-like game called Clans & Legions. The informant tells them to release a prisoner, then he'll talk about a spy in Boros.
* Weslyn does so, even after noticing the prisoner is linked to a raider who cast a violent chaos spell that killed and injured several.
* They go back to the informant, only to find him dead.
* They rush back to report this, only for the guards to accuse them of poisoning three higher ups, killing two. They discover poison in their pouch.
* Weslyn thinks back on everything and realizes they were set up with the hidden message and informant. The message is no longer on their letter, implying a Dimir mind mage was hired.
* They notice the guard who found the poison on them has the same sort of dust and hydra spittle that was at the area they met the informant and accuses her of being part of this.
* Aresaan arrives to help and uses magic to confirm that the dust is the dragon bone dust specific to that area.
* They confront Weslyn's boss, Skormak, the only one who survived the poisoning, and he's just fine. He complains that elementals like him just don't get promoted, and it's wrong that he'd be arrested for killing three people when Aresaan killed thousands and got a slap on the wrist. Regardless, Weslyn headbutts him and arrests him.
* Aresaan respects Weslyn now.

I wasn't a huge fan of this resolution, but the story was nice enough. I'm leaving out a lot of small flavor details with this summary.
I just wanted to say I really like the new author they've had for the Guilds of Ravnica stories (Nikki Drayden). Whatever the opinions on the stories being unconnected to the main storyline, they've all been individually entertaining, and the details make me think she's either a fan of previous Ravnica stories or is willing to put good research into even the background of a trading card game for her hired gigs. I'm interested in checking out her book, The Prey of Gods.

Also, I like how she actually focuses on the different fantasy races of Ravnica. For a plane with sphinxes, gorgons, goblins, dryads, centaurs, vampires, zombies, ghosts, viashino, loxodon, two distinct races of elves, elementals, giants, ogres, homunculi, cyclopses, vedalken, etc, there aren't many stories focusing on the non-humans.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to try that 5 color control deck on Arena, but jesus it's 7 mythics and 47 rares, and many of them- Mastermind's Acquision, The Mirari Conjecture, Lich's Mastery, CHANCE FOR GLORY- are things you aren't going to use in any other deck

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Weekend revealed. Basically, each set will hold an event with a different format.

Ravnica Weekend: Guilds of Ravnica runs from November 9–11.

We expect these to be more like social events. The format is casual four-pack drafts (think of all the Guildgates!), Guild Kit battles, and D&D sessions based on Ravnica (taken from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica). The prizes are foil basic lands and 11" x 14" prints—both of which celebrate the set's five guilds.

Ravnica Weekend: Ravnica Allegiance happens February 16–17, 2019.

It's more of a tournament. The format is either Standard, Draft, or Sealed (your LGS will decide when they sign up with us), plus more Guild Kit battles and D&D sessions. The prizes are massive: foil full-art rares, a playmat, plus more guild prints and foil guild lands.

If those prizes sound familiar, you may know what's coming next: we've collapsed promo items for Ravnica Weekend: Ravnica Allegiance and the Store Championship into one kit, and the Core Set 2019 Store Championship that happened last September will be the last event of its kind.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Weekend revealed. Basically, each set will hold an event with a different format.

We expect these to be more like social events. The format is casual four-pack drafts (think of all the Guildgates!), Guild Kit battles, and D&D sessions based on Ravnica (taken from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica). The prizes are foil basic lands and 11" x 14" prints—both of which celebrate the set's five guilds.

It's more of a tournament. The format is either Standard, Draft, or Sealed (your LGS will decide when they sign up with us), plus more Guild Kit battles and D&D sessions. The prizes are massive: foil full-art rares, a playmat, plus more guild prints and foil guild lands.

If those prizes sound familiar, you may know what's coming next: we've collapsed promo items for Ravnica Weekend: Ravnica Allegiance and the Store Championship into one kit, and the Core Set 2019 Store Championship that happened last September will be the last event of its kind.

While I have some minor issues with this- like the prizes at the november one being so insignificant that they are then ALSO giving them away as the prizes for the following one- i'm more curious how this is going to work when we don't have connected sets/blocks again like they have been telling us they were going to do for a while now. Like, lets say that the fall expansion is a one-of set on that world- how are they going to decide if it gets the casual event treatment or the competitive event treatment?

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds fun. I love these little events. I'll probably go to multiple events on each of these weekends and I don't even like full-art rares.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Does anyone have thoughts on the Rainbow Lich deck that Ali Aintrazi has been peddling? He just took down SCG Charlotte with it and it looks fun

http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/124766
Ali Antrazi has been playing it since the full spoiler went up. He often mentions that it's a toolbox deck, meaning you need to constantly tweak it based on meta shifts. It's not a "build it and you're good" type deck. It seems like fine and actual has lots of solid sideboarding options. My main concern would be running up against cleansing nova game 1. The way to avoid that is to only play mastery when you're ready to combo off, but against control that basically means holding onto a bunch of dead cards while they build resources. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I think post-board the control match up is actually fairly good though.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

"Collector Booster"
MSRP $12.99

Triple the price plus an extra dollar. Commons are worthless anyway so I don't even include them in the cost of a normal booster since I have so many lying around from drafts anyway. So are you willing to pay an extra dollar for a random uncommon and a couple foils? Ehhhh... maybe. Depends on how often you get foil commons versus anything else I guess. At that price point it seems like they're deliberately trying to make it so you're not exactly wrong no matter which way you go.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be real, the collector booster seems like a complete rip off. Verses normal boosters, it's only offering 2 foils against 20 commons. I'd rather buy 3 normal packs.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
except when you are at a SCG Open/GP trying to get the last few cards for your deck, and any vendor that actually has them is going to be charging $1 each at minimum
Signed, someone who spent $4.50 on 3 copies of Lightning Strike at a SCG Open a few years ago
Well yeah, useful commons always command a slight premium

Status
Not open for further replies.