• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
They're going to introduce a new "ban of the week" system wherein they change what's banned week by week to shake up all the formats.

This week's bans....

Standard: Shock is banned
Modern: Aeon Chronicler is banned
Legacy: Tawnos's Weaponry is banned
Vintage: Plains is banned

be sure to stop by next week when we roll for new bans!

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
- Exclusion Mage replacing Merfolk Skyscout
- Meteor Golem replacing Serrated Biskelion
- Sinister Sabotage replacing Daze
- Murmuring Mystic replacing Turtleshell Changeling
- Chemister's Insight replacing Sight Beyond Sight
- Plaguecrafter replacing Merciless Executioner
- Goblin Cratermaker replacing Slith Firewalker
- Lava Coil replacing Dance with Devils
- Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker replacing Lingering Phantom
- Angel of Despair replacing Kiss of the Amesha

I like all of these. Keeping the Dominaria legends as fun build arounds is cool. I think the Boros tapper is a more interesting play decision than the pump.
Okay. I still want to find room for Sovereign, though.

Also, no love for Inner Demon?

Artists boycotting MagicFest

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Several artists are boycotting CFB Magicfests https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/vorthosmike-11262018-artists-boycott-magic-fests
On top of the additional financial burden, we are often asked to host art classes, seminars and workshops without compensation. This may seem like a small inconvenience, but in reality these events take a great deal of planning and time. It is worth noting that all other workshops, both public-facing and within the entertainment industry, will happily pay for professional artists to attend in exchange for their time, paying for flights and accommodation as well as tickets to the event. It is an industry standard.

The recent removal of even basic conveniences, such as support during lunch breaks and a safe space to store equipment and gear, highlights the low priority artists have become for event organizers, and led to the formation of this letter.

For context, here is a list of the services MTG artists could expect at GP's just a few years ago:
  • Paid Flights

• Paid Hotel

• Break room

• Place to store our gear (often locked or secure)

• Free large tables

• Thursday dinner with organizers

• Sunday group event with event staff

Here is a list of what we are offered in exchange for our time today:

• Smaller table arrangement (expensive upgrade option)

• Limited and unclear hotel sponsorship (for some)

Deleted member 33761

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Need help deciding on a deck for a standard pptq Saturday. It's between Golgari or Jeskai Control. Expecting a lot of white weenie, mono blue and Golgari

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
being shitty toward a key part of the success of your game it's not super smart.
Realistically, we are at a point where they probably should charge something- $10 or something- just to enter the hall at a GP. GPs used to just be a main event with access to vendors, some side drafts, and a PTQ on day 2 for everyone who scrubbed out. Sometimes, you would get an artist. Over the years, though, GPs are now giant events that one could consider TRAVELING to with no intention of playing in the main event. Cosplayers, multiple artists, a billion different side events, and more. We have seen this reflected in the price of the main events- GP Portland is a constructed GP and it's $70 to play in- and an extra $15 if you want the playmat (those used to be included in the price of the events).
Start charging people to come, and start beefing up the offerings- bring more artists (and pay them), bring out content creators (and pay them), bring more cosplayers (and pay them), do panels like gaming/anime cons have, etc. Make them actual festivals.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, we are at a point where they probably should charge something- $10 or something- just to enter the hall at a GP. GPs used to just be a main event with access to vendors, some side drafts, and a PTQ on day 2 for everyone who scrubbed out. Sometimes, you would get an artist. Over the years, though, GPs are now giant events that one could consider TRAVELING to with no intention of playing in the main event. Cosplayers, multiple artists, a billion different side events, and more. We have seen this reflected in the price of the main events- GP Portland is a constructed GP and it's $70 to play in- and an extra $15 if you want the playmat (those used to be included in the price of the events).
Start charging people to come, and start beefing up the offerings- bring more artists (and pay them), bring out content creators (and pay them), bring more cosplayers (and pay them), do panels like gaming/anime cons have, etc. Make them actual festivals.

That makes so much sense. Turning these things into traveling, Magic focused, conventions seems to be the goal of the whole "MagicFest" branding, so you'd hope that the ticketing would follow suit in that manner.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do they really need to charge people to walk in the door when you're not planning to go into a GP without at least getting into some side events?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That makes so much sense. Turning these things into traveling, Magic focused, conventions seems to be the goal of the whole "MagicFest" branding, so you'd hope that the ticketing would follow suit in that manner.
You already have Pro players with 3 byes- hold a panel on deck building or testing or ANYTHING with some of them during round 2 or something! This isn't hard

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do they really need to charge people to walk in the door when you're not planning to go into a GP without at least getting into some side events?

With how much the main events are costing these days, it might be a good idea. Charge everyone a bit at the door to see the vendors, artists, panels, cosplayers, fun non-magic events like the escape rooms or whatever, etc. Plenty of gaming conventions charge for this kind of stuff and have plenty of success.

This can let you defray the event costs a bit, since now that isn't paying for *everything* and you can *hopefully* justify paying for the artists who you bring in, people putting on panels, and etc.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, if they started charging just to walk in the doors, I would expect attendance to drop sharply. Quite frankly, I don't think very many people walk in just to walk around aimlessly. People are there to shop and to play. There's zero incentive to provide an additional barrier, unless the goal is to gradually eliminate the GP element altogether, which I suppose is possible. If the end goal is to transform into an outright Magic Con, and focus more on side events and, more specifically, panels, then there's an entirely different discussion to be had.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see charging a fee to enter the venue. Its always been totally weird to me that anyone can just walk in and out when there's valuable product being circulated insecurely. Would probably make main events cost less too. CFB having someone stick it to them is also funny, given their event monopoly that they've been holding.

Deleted member 33761

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
bot are pretty strong, I would go with golgari cause I dislike jeskai play pattern :v

I'm leaning towards Golgari since I have slightly more experience with it but it mostly boils down to I am more comfortable against the aggressive decks with it, other than stompy. My tweaks are going to be moving trophies to the side board and relying on contempt's and either cast downs or moment of cravings to help with Vanguards.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I could see charging a fee to enter the venue. Its always been totally weird to me that anyone can just walk in and out when there's valuable product being circulated insecurely. Would probably make main events cost less too. CFB having someone stick it to them is also funny, given their event monopoly that they've been holding.
Yeah, there are constantly thieves prowling around the venue. One time I heard a story that someone broke into a car and stole tens of thousands worth of cards.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
In my purely hypothetical, 5 minutes of thought reality, you wouldn't be paying the entrance fee if you were playing in the Main Event (now that all GP registration is done online in advance of the tournament, this should be easy), you would have increased security (not just to prevent thieves, but to prevent a Jacksonville situation), Artists would be paid for their time and thus would only be charging money for art prints, doodles or commissions (not for signing cards).
Hell, do what they do at Yugioh tournaments around the world and at some European GPs- give you sealed product equal to the value of your entry fee. Give you a booster or something if you pay the $5 to walk in the door. Or, even easier, just give the GP promo to everyone who comes to the event and pays the entry fee. Make it an actual SELLING point. "Come to the GP to hang out with your friends, meet artists and watch high level games- and get yourself a FREE alternate art foil Mutavault with your entry!"

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
As someone who mostly plays casual formats all of the pro player/event drama is like the smallest blip on my MtG radar, like a completely different game set in the MtG universe.

Are there hard numbers on competitive peeps vs everyone else? I'd have to imagine that the latter dwarfs the former.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
What if you're not playing red or black? If I play Green or White midrange/control it's over almost instantly, especially if the cheap fuckers put two out on the board to protect the other.

I can see why these uncommons go for so much on paper, most annoying shit in Standard currently IMO. Rather play against Izzet Drakes, White Weenie, or literally any other GP/PT list.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you're playing Green, Kraul Harpooner. If you're playing white aggro you should be able to out-race them. Especially if you're running the pridemate package.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
What if you're not playing red or black? If I play Green or White midrange/control it's over almost instantly, especially if the cheap fuckers put two out on the board to protect the other.

I can see why these uncommons go for so much on paper, most annoying shit in Standard currently IMO. Rather play against Izzet Drakes, White Weenie, or literally any other GP/PT list.
Well yes, if someone end up with the blessed hand and you keep a slow/removal lite hand, you gonna have a bad time :v

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
mono u shitters has very polarizing matchups and the 1 drop, obsession draws are completely unbeatable for lots of decks.

just rant about it and move on, that's what I do.

Oct 28, 2017
Playing mono white I'm having a decent time dealing with them with just 5 removal spells. I win about 50% of the time, though granted with a pretty small sample size. Looks like a fun deck to play that does require some skill. I don't see any reason to attack it. Siren Stormtamers are good, but they are far from broken.

Feb 16, 2018
if you can't race them, one strategy against an obsession'd creature is to run them out of protective mana

set up a turn where you try to kill something on their end step (they counter it)
and then when you untap, you should be able to finish the job

it's difficult because they have so much 1-mana interaction, and if they end the turn 2 untapped lands, then you need 2 removal spells and a counterspell (or 3 removal spells) to kill a 2/2

it helps to have an offense of your own so that they tap their lands to play their own creatures (eg. tempest djinn) in order to race, which means they'll probably only leave up 1 mana instead of 2

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously fuck Mono-Blue tempo, how the hell do you stop this shit when it's Siren Stormtamer into Wizard's Retort/Curious Obsession/Dive Down!?
You generally don't unless you also have a bunch of Shocks and Lava Coils or something, but they also don't get a nut draw very often which is why it's not that popular of a deck. I usually just ignore them and cast Niv-Mizzet and they automatically lose to him, same thing as I do for Arclight Phoenix decks (those decks usually just can't beat Mizzet without two spells which draws you two cards).

Niv-Mizzet is the most hilarious creature in Standard. Even if your opponent *can* answer him, they almost always have to replace him absent an Eldest Reborn or Chupacabra.

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm actually curious about their algorithms for matchmaking. I've spent the last week playing nothing but pure jank (5-color decks, mill, Revel in Riches, Dinos Tribal, basically just the worst semi-reasonable decks I can make) and tanking tons of losses as a result, and I'm still seeing nothing but Izzet Drakes, Mono-Blue, and White Weenies.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious about their algorithms for matchmaking. I've spent the last week playing nothing but pure jank (5-color decks, mill, Revel in Riches, Dinos Tribal, basically just the worst semi-reasonable decks I can make) and tanking tons of losses as a result, and I'm still seeing nothing but Izzet Drakes, Mono-Blue, and White Weenies.
It depends on your ranking and what queue you are entering. Nothing with sideboards ever uses matchmaking at all.

I've been playing Adrian Sullivan's exact 75 with no changes at all and I get lots of jank decks. I think it's the only reason I stopped being Bronze ranked perpetually and got into Silver level - Drakes and straight Jeskai are both pretty bad against a deck running 4 copies of Niv-Mizzet.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I know it's just the nature of Magic and just that silly stuff will happen when you play enough matches, but totally felt like Arena was messing with me on this one...

Was playing my Boros Angels, got a hand with like Knight of Grace, a solid curve, and two lands. My opponent turned out to be Mono-Red Aggro, so naturally that knight died like right away. And... I proceeded to just not draw a third land, all the while sitting there with a damn Deafening Clarion and a board that'd be wiped by it. Finally, he plays out his hand, gets me down to two life, I draw and... Sacred Foundry. Sure, I was essentially dead already most likely even if that was a normal land, but that sure was a hell of a kicker to end it on.

(Not salty, mind you. Just kind of wanted to share that ridiculousness.)

"Destroy All Humankind. They Can’t Be Regenerated" manga proper starts
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The Magic manga one-shot "Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated." (from the writer of Onani Master Kurosawa and Molester Man (better than they sound)) has become a full fledged series and the first chapter is out today. It's basically just the first part of the one-shot, but trimmed down in some ways and expanded in others. In particular, the one-shot didn't show the lead's first game against Sawatari and had him lose off screen; here, we see it and he wins, leading to Sawatari siding in anti-black cards. Also replaced the Mind Rot reaction with Mind Warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.