• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
6ALAut3.jpg

The rare dumb meme that I feel actually has some validitiy. Had they even mentioned this as a Graveyard set before?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I don't blame the people who do business on MTGO for temporarily shutting down their trades in response to market panics.

On the other hand, I think they're kidding themselves if they think there's no chance that Wizards will end up shutting down MTGO if Arena takes off. MTGO is going to be about eternal formats for the forseeable future and I think it will end up dying a slow death before WotC starts committing to support eternal formats within Arena.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're asking why they changed the name from Pro Tour, I can only assume it's because having actual, legitimate professionals means you don't want to call the guys who aren't professionals "pros."

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I don't blame the people who do business on MTGO for temporarily shutting down their trades in response to market panics.

On the other hand, I think they're kidding themselves if they think there's no chance that Wizards will end up shutting down MTGO if Arena takes off. MTGO is going to be about eternal formats for the forseeable future and I think it will end up dying a slow death before WotC starts committing to support eternal formats within Arena.
I think that it's a test: if putting $10,000,000 into eSports pays off, they'll spend the money it takes to program Modern into Arena, IMO

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
On that note, theoretically thinking if a tournament is digital: What do you do in a tournament if a card or interaction is bugged?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

No one should be surprised.

I would laugh if they did decide to reassure the market, but did so by saying, "As old sets are added to Arena, MTGO players will be able to redeem their existing collection for the same cards in Arena", salvaging the MTGO market but completely demolishing the buyout market.

I don't think they actually will, of course, but I'd be proper chuffed.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I think I don't like Ultimate Masters as a draft format is that it feels like there are always a serious lack of playable creatures but it's not actually a format where you can combo out anyone or win outside of drafting creatures.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Well, you've got a debug/"Gamemaster" client that has tools that can change the gamestate, anyway. You would hopefully never get in such a ridiculous situation that you need a software engineer to reprogram the game on the fly, using the tools should be something any moderately experienced person (ie, a tournament official) can do.

At any rate, I'd well take it over the fallibility of human judges, considering I've had plenty of (understandably) wrong calls even from relatively high level judges. Not to mention that the game bugging is going to be a one-in-a-million situation, whereas a judge in paper having to come in and correct the gamestate is something I can't recall going a Top 8 without having had happen in recent memory.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone notice MTG Arena glitching on them?

I've had a few turns where I drew a card and it passed the next turn. I'm talking 5 lands in play, draw a creature that cost 2, and it just zipped past. Weird.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
MTG Arena will pass your turn if you can't do anything. You most likely drew a creature that was under an Ixalan's Binding.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arena's lack of a game log is a problem they need to solve. There's a limit to how much you can short-cut everything.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MTG Arena will pass your turn if you can't do anything. You most likely drew a creature that was under an Ixalan's Binding.
Empty board state, 5 plains, draw an Ajani's Pridemate.

It was bizarre.

EDIT - my guess is the program registered a phantom "pass the turn" click or keystroke? The turn passed so quickly that I couldn't check to see if the pass-the-turn toggle clicked on.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played UMA draft in Phantom a few times, and I will admit I got my shit kicked in, but I don't think I like the format very much. It's really synergistic but there feels like there's a clear lack of signposting, so if an archetype seems open, you can move into it and then never see either the payoff or the setup (both of which basically every archetype needs) because someone else cut you off. The average creature doesn't feel playable if you aren't doing something specific with it, e.g. using it as a discard outlet or something.

Feb 16, 2018
UMA is high variance, but it seems to reward navigating the draft pretty highly. not all the builds have viable mana curves/consistency even when they come together, and the power level disparity is shit for leagues

but it seems like it could be interesting to draft competitively (i.e. in a real pod, not on the shitty online formats). unfortunately they made the packs $15 so that's rarely gonna happen

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So would you recommend steering hard for creatures regardless of synergy in an UMA draft? I'll be doing one with stakes next week.
It's not so much that you have to push hard for them, it's that it feels really unpredictable what's going to wheel and what you will be passed because the card selection tends to take you in a ton of directions.

God's Beard's favorite card Satyr Wayfinder is one of the best cards in the format, IMO.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
karakas boxtopper and foil karn liberated 3 packs in

seems good

my advice for uma remains draft sigarda because shes unkillable and win 4 turns later

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Karn Liberated box topper, Foil Mikaeus, Cavern of Souls, Engineered Explosives off the top of my head. Pretty happy with my box opening. Debating if I want to draft the set as my modern card knowledge is bad. I'm mostly worried about passing something of value. That and the price of drafting isn't as good of a deal compared to what the store was selling boxes for.

Oct 28, 2017
Karn Liberated box topper, Foil Mikaeus, Cavern of Souls, Engineered Explosives off the top of my head. Pretty happy with my box opening. Debating if I want to draft the set as my modern card knowledge is bad. I'm mostly worried about passing something of value. That and the price of drafting isn't as good of a deal compared to what the store was selling boxes for.

For that I always just look at Card Kingdom's buylist for a set, nonfoil, and sort by price. Just browse through from there.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
$28 UMA draft

Went BG combo with SATYR WAYFINDER DA GOAT

JPEG_20181207_213249.jpg

Went 3-0! Got Karakas Box Topper as my win.

I am very good at this game.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Our box was smoking hot

Emrakul Box Topper

Notable Rares:

Noble Hierarch
Goryo's Vengeance
Entomb
Life from the Loam
Engineered Explosives
Phyrexian Altar
Runed Halo
Bridge from Below
Liliana of the Veil
Cavern of Souls
Ancient Tomb

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
So uh, being less than happy with Artifact right now (shitty meta being the main reason, almost everyone online plays the same deck right now) and never really liking Hearthstone, I'm considering MtGA right now. I've played paper MtG like 15 years ago among friends / school (everyone in my class had a deck so there were lots of games going on all the time) but haven't much clue anymore.
I'm literally downloading the game right now but want to know how hard it is to get (back) into the game and how much you can do in the game without spending loads of money.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
So uh, being less than happy with Artifact right now (shitty meta being the main reason, almost everyone online plays the same deck right now) and never really liking Hearthstone, I'm considering MtGA right now. I've played paper MtG like 15 years ago among friends / school (everyone in my class had a deck so there were lots of games going on all the time) but haven't much clue anymore.
I'm literally downloading the game right now but want to know how hard it is to get (back) into the game and how much you can do in the game without spending loads of money.

It's set up like HS so you will get daily quests to get in game currency to spend on packs or events (draft, sealed, competitive queues etc...). You also get daily pack rewards after every few wins so it is possible to get a lot out of playing for free. You also start with 5 pre made decks and unlock another 5 over the first few hours of playing.

If you are enjoying yourself after playing for a bit then I would recommend buying the Welcome Bundle for $5. It gives you 6 packs but more importantly a bunch of gems that will let you do some drafts. If you are good you can get a lot of play out of that $5.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
Got Maelstrom Pulse as my Box Topper.
At least it wasn't Stirring Wildwood?
Got some solid stuff otherwise though. Noble Hierarch, Cavern of Souls, Celestial Colonnade, Through the Breach & Goryo's Vengance, and a Vengevine.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
What are peoples' thoughts on the value of box toppers moving forward? Debating whether or not to trade/sell the Karn Liberated box topper to dive into modern. On the other hand I feel like the value for staples are only going to increase like crazy as a couple years pass.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What are peoples' thoughts on the value of box toppers moving forward? Debating whether or not to trade/sell the Karn Liberated box topper to dive into modern. On the other hand I feel like the value for staples are only going to increase like crazy as a couple years pass.
I would expect those box toppers to hold value very well and probably even increase, however, you will get much more use if you trade it for a bunch of modern cards. Really depends on what you want, play the game or collect some chase cards. I don't know what I would do.

Green becoming secondary in haste
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
thefullmetaldragon asked: Of the 7 standard Green cards mentioning haste, 4 are also Red and 2 merely give haste to lands turned into creatures, leaving only a single mono-Green creature with haste in standard. If Green is secondary in haste, why is it so uncommon in the current standard?
I live in the future, and in the future green is secondary in haste.

December 09, 2018

So green has shifted to being secondary in haste, and it will get more in the future.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Huh MTGO market is crashing? Maybe I'll pick up a modern deck, I think to myself, stupidly.

Checking prices and...oh look a modern deck it still like $300-$400.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
mtg-snap asked: What color did green replace as secondary in haste?
We decided to pull a bit back on black with haste, but I'd argue it's still secondary just a little less so.

December 09, 2018

They don't really use haste in black much anyway, and black flash works better for the flavor it was going for, so I don't have a problem with this.

thedesignskeleton asked: Is the 'Green is Secondary in Banisher Priest effects' experiment something that never materialized, just something we haven't seen yet, or something else?
It's still a work in progress, but things aren't looking great.

December 10, 2018

We haven't seen any of these cards, with "exile target creature until this creature leaves the battlefield", since MaRo revealed they were trying it out last year. Looks like we won't ever.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so... I've been sucked into MTG again by a friend, and aside for buying a 2013 deck build pack out of pure curiosity some years ago, most of the stuff I own is Mirrodin onwards (so... qualifies for "modern" I guess?) and I haven't played much after Kamigawa aside for random casual matches so I'm completely unfamiliar to Commander, Planeswalkers and all that stuff.

What's the most interesting stuff currently sold, be it pre-built decks or whatever, that's interesting enough for casual play? I'm not that interested in keeping up with the running meta in Standard/Block since cards are left behind too frequently for my taste though. Thanks!

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so... I've been sucked into MTG again by a friend, and aside for buying a 2013 deck build pack out of pure curiosity some years ago, most of the stuff I own is Mirrodin onwards (so... qualifies for "modern" I guess?) and I haven't played much after Kamigawa aside for random casual matches so I'm completely unfamiliar to Commander, Planeswalkers and all that stuff.

What's the most interesting stuff currently sold, be it pre-built decks or whatever, that's interesting enough for casual play? I'm not that interested in keeping up with the running meta in Standard/Block since cards are left behind too frequently for my taste though. Thanks!
if you don't want to keep up with standard and don't have the cash to play eternal format, starting with playing limited imo is the best option.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
if you don't want to keep up with standard and don't have the cash to play eternal format, starting with playing limited imo is the best option.

Well, limited seems like a good option if I ever learn about tournaments around me. And yeah, my idea was playing eternal (particularly modern, so Mirrodin onwards AFAIK) with whatever I have plus some new stuff but I was wondering if there's enough player base or interest in stuff like Commander since it uses all expansions as well or if it was more like a niche inside a niche.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Commander definitely isn't niche. At least where I'm at, seems like there's always somebody playing Commander at my LGS whenever it's open.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Commander definitely isn't niche. At least where I'm at, seems like there's always somebody playing Commander at my LGS whenever it's open.

Mmmm I'll have to give it a look. AFAIK all expansions are free to be used in Commander, but is the other way around also true? Like, are commander-specific cards legal in Modern?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mmmm I'll have to give it a look. AFAIK all expansions are free to be used in Commander, but is the other way around also true? Like, are commander-specific cards legal in Modern?
Nope. Cards from supplemental sets that weren't also printed in Standard legal sets from 8th Ed/Mirrodin and on are only legal in legacy, commander, vintage and pauper.

Status
Not open for further replies.