• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RNA - Spectacle and Lavinia

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
DuoWmT9WkAA3w7q.jpg

Spectacle is an alternate cost mechanic if your opponent lost life this turn. Looks like it can be a cost reduction, or a cost increase with a trigger attached to it

New Hatebear seems more targeted to Vintage/Legacy (as this shuts down "free" spells and double mana lands)
en_iAClRqFGby.png

RNA - Trailer
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that

Rix Maadi Reveler allowing you to draw on an empty hand is interesting.

I like the higher spectacle costs. One problem I have with bloodthirst is that it feels really bad if you haven't dealt damage to get the counters. With higher costs, there's still a choice between normal casting and spectacle, and you don't feel as bad for missing spectacle.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's time to stop buying expensive singles and the spare booster here and there, and start saving that money instead.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
when is the next set coming out?

From the promos & packaging link:

Open House (January 12–13) kicks things off for Ravnica Allegiance promo season. Bring a friend, help teach curious gamers to play Magic, and you can walk away with this freewheeling promo.

Draft Weekend (January 26–27) is the weekend Ravnica Allegiance releases to the public, and a weekend of many drafts! Participate and ascend to new heights.

Oct 28, 2017
It'll come out January 18th or even sooner on Arena. 18th is Pre-release weekend. They like to have Arena ready to go for that.

Looks like Dovin and Domri are two of the three Planeswalkers. Orzhov will have one as well, which is probably Kaya.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God, Gate Colossus is such a terrible Magic League promo, holy shit. Even worse than Necrotic Wound.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
DuoWmT9WkAA3w7q.jpg

Spectacle is an alternate cost mechanic if your opponent lost life this turn. Looks like it can be a cost reduction, or a cost increase with a trigger attached to it

New Hatebear seems more targeted to Vintage/Legacy (as this shuts down "free" spells and double mana lands)
en_iAClRqFGby.png
Man, I'm so glad my commander playgroup doesn't really play Control, this would hose my Jodah deck (the first part).

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did not immediately grok that Lavinia prevents noncreature stuff cast off mana dorks as well as your various cheaty lands. Admittedly most mana dork decks are usually just slamming bigger creatures, so it probably isn't as relevant, but could still come in handy.

Oct 28, 2017
I did not immediately grok that Lavinia prevents noncreature stuff cast off mana dorks as well as your various cheaty lands. Admittedly most mana dork decks are usually just slamming bigger creatures, so it probably isn't as relevant, but could still come in handy.

I didn't think of that either. She might be worth including in UW EDH Stax decks as well then. She'll stop artifact ramp.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know that card is real? We've been talking about it on the Discord for a while but chose not to post it.

The fact that it uses art we already knew about is a big red flag, and the mechanic seems really hard to manage in Limited.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
About Tithe Taker, this appears to be the source.

This is a person with not many followers, relative to other Magic accounts that you'd expect to have preview cards. They didn't present it as a preview card, but rather had a series of tweets with the same format for the other cards revealed today, and this was just among them.

If people were getting preview cards this week, where are the Rakdos cards?

Like I mentioned before, this uses art we already knew about. The mechanic seems much harder to develop for than what Wizards typically goes for. We can see in Evan's most recent tweet that the reminder text's use of "a" instead of "one" means the afterlife number should refer to the power/toughness, which is weird as fuck and definitely not what Wizards would do when +1/+1 counters are right there. EDIT: Nevermind, this matches Fabricate 1's reminder text.

All of these are big red flags. Of course, we'll know for sure this week, so no big deal.

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
About Tithe Taker, this appears to be the source.

This is a person with not many followers, relative to other Magic accounts that you'd expect to have preview cards. They didn't present it as a preview card, but rather had a series of tweets with the same format for the other cards revealed today, and this was just among them.

If people were getting preview cards this week, where are the Rakdos cards?

Like I mentioned before, this uses art we already knew about. The mechanic seems much harder to develop for than what Wizards typically goes for. We can see in Evan's most recent tweet that the reminder text's use of "a" instead of "one" means the afterlife number should refer to the power/toughness, which is weird as fuck and definitely not what Wizards would do when +1/+1 counters are right there.

All of these are big red flags. Of course, we'll know for sure this week, so no big deal.

I'd say this alone is enough to prove the card is fake.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Evan Erwin retweet it so I took it as gospel that it was accurate. I hadn't seen the trailer when I saw that card so I wasn't aware there would be a potential way to fake it quickly if someone was so inclined. But as you said we'll see soon enough if its real.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK whenever there has been leaks (like the promos and speculation about the "spectacle" mechanic), they were photos of actual physical cards but this one is just the card itself as if it came from Wizards' web page. Besides, it looks too good to be true: 2 cmc for stopping control and midrange decks right on their feet, plus leaving a token behind?

In the other hand, the pixels. Fakes tend to be a little bit more elaborate and "high res".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK whenever there has been leaks (like the promos and speculation about the "spectacle" mechanic), they were photos of actual physical cards but this one is just the card itself as if it came from Wizards' web page. Besides, it looks too good to be true: 2 cmc for stopping control and midrange decks right on their feet, plus leaving a token behind?

In the other hand, the pixels. Fakes tend to be a little bit more elaborate and "high res".
It doesn't, it's only on your turn. It's not very good at all.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I really didn't notice the implications of "in your turn". It still stalls you for a turn or two from making your stuff grow from enemy actions if you don't have proper removal at hand.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orzhov Mechanic: Afterlife

Afterlife is a triggered ability and includes a number. For example, Tithe Taker has afterlife 1. Some creatures have higher afterlife numbers. When a creature with afterlife dies, create 1/1 white and black Spirit creature tokens with flying. The number tells you how many 1/1 Spirits you get.
Afterlife triggers only when the creature dies, meaning "goes to the graveyard from the battlefield." If it's exiled directly from the battlefield or similar, afterlife won't trigger. Remember that blockers are chosen all at the same time, meaning if you block with a creature with afterlife and it dies, the Spirit(s) won't show up in time to block in that same combat.
If the Orzhov love anything, it's advantage, so get your forces under contract and put their spirits to work for you.

en_3s47NXBZ5o.png
en_nPexLyEZzr.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's egg on my face.
en_3s47NXBZ5o.png
en_nPexLyEZzr.png

That common is really pushed. I wonder how this won't be miserable in Limited.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She is wearing *such* a hat.

I agree that the mechanic feels super weird. It's just a generically good effect.

Oct 28, 2017
Afterlife is certainly a solid mechanic, but I don't think it's busted whatsoever. Cards depending of course, but I don't think it will dominate the table in limited unless there are common/uncommon Afterlife 3+, which seems unlikely.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Afterlife kind of feels like a "the mechanic we wanted to do didn't work out so we threw something with spirits together." I'm sure it plays fine even if it's not that exciting.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to what sort of sacrifice outlets we can expect to see in this set. Time for the Aristocrats to rise again?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I want a spell that reads something like

Death Denied - XXWW
Instant
Your creatures gain Afterlife X

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Death Denied is already a card. It's even an X spell.

What you want is:

Cauldron of Souls - 3WB
Artifact
T: Nontoken creatures you control gain Afterlife 1 until end of turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.