• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How about this?

Golgari Grave-Troll 3WB
Creature - Skeleton Troll
CARDNAME has afterlife X, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Dredge 29
4/4
Weirdly already a card but trolls can definitely be white. How about -

Living Death - WWBB
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices their creatures. Each player puts a 1/1 white and black spirit token with
flying into play for each non-token creature sacrificed this way.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary Post - Triple Post

I think Afterlife is gonna be real good especially if there's enough cheapies to make Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants good in that shell because making your army of 1/1 fliers better + bringing back your guy who dies to make more 1/1s seems good.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised that all the singles from the Golgari guild kit precon + the ones from the GRN Vraska Planeswalker precon + a handful (like just 10 or so?) of stuff on theme that I have around + Vraska, Golgari Queen mythic that I got in a booster that came in the Planeswalker deck make for a rather baller Commander deck. Maybe not spectacular or particularly competitive but still really cool.

Edit: and not much was taken off the Planeswalker deck so I can still rebuild it with something better for casual games.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realised that all the singles from the Golgari guild kit precon + the ones from the GRN Vraska Planeswalker precon + a handful (like just 10 or so?) of stuff on theme that I have around + Vraska, Golgari Queen mythic that I got in a booster that came in the Planeswalker deck make for a rather baller Commander deck. Maybe not spectacular or particularly competitive but still really cool.

Edit: and not much was taken off the Planeswalker deck so I can still rebuild it with something better for casual games.
Black/Green is a really fun combo of colors because it can answer almost anything.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaaand finished making an inventory of the whole contraption to make sure I wasn't screwing something up.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-guild-mix/

This is mostly a brag post, but if someone can lend me a hand regarding what I'm asking for (tuning mana curve, land/spell, creature/non-creature ratios...) it will be extremely welcome!

Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaaand finished making an inventory of the whole contraption to make sure I wasn't screwing something up.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-guild-mix/

This is mostly a brag post, but if someone can lend me a hand regarding what I'm asking for (tuning mana curve, land/spell, creature/non-creature ratios...) it will be extremely welcome!

Your playgroup may not care, but Vraska isn't a legal Commander. Must be a creature unless the card specifically allows it.

I would cut 7 lands.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Your playgroup may not care, but Vraska isn't a legal Commander. Must be a creature unless the card specifically allows it.

I would cut 7 lands.

Aren't planeswalkers legal commanders since the latest Commander release? I mean, all 4 precon Commander decks have a planeswalker commander on them, and tappedout doesn't mark it as illegal nevermind, I checked the one I have and it's specified indeed. Thanks about the lands advice btw.

Edit: no problem in asking. Izoni and Jarad are good commander options as well, so no problem in that regard.

Last edited:
RNA - Non-promo Lavinia
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Non-promo Lavinia with flavor text.
b7RG9uN_d.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Somehow I want this to make Elenda the Dusk Rose good

It seems like there's a non-zero chance that we're going to see a new Standard Aristocrats deck (I can't imagine them giving Orzhov a pure token generation mechanic and not tying it back into "death and taxes" somehow), which seems like the most likely place she'd ever get played, if anywhere.

Might still be a little too high CMC to really get over, though. Would have been a spectacular card at 1 generic mana less.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's slightly different from Monsterous, because if it looses the counter it can activate it again. that said, this seems like a bigger on-board trick available at common than we have gotten in a number of years

Oct 25, 2017
Monstrosity without the weird memory issues.

Waaaay less cool than Graft or Evolve, sadly. It does play nicely with both of those mechanics though.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The mechanics article mentions that there are cards that remove counters for effects. Simic has always had these, but if there are a lot of them, that could justify the changes to monstrosity a lot.

Zegana also shows that we can expect some Abzan style counter lords.

I was really expecting proliferate. I suppose we'll get some cards with the effect just written out, like in Aether Revolt. I was also expecting monstrosity for Gruul, so I guess that's out.

EDIT: Guessing ferocious for Gruul now. I don't think they'd do a toughness version, regardless of Collar the Culprit, especially since blue wouldn't be involved this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Gruul will just get Bloodthirst again. Plays well with both Spectacle and +1/+1 counters stuff.
Bloodthirst is similar to spectacle, yet looks at a slightly different thing. It doesn't care about non-damage life loss, while spectacle does. They try to avoid that in sets.

If they did include both, then either there are no life loss cards (in which case, why does spectacle care about that?) or all the life loss cards are going to have reminder text saying they don't deal damage.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If they did include both, then either there are no life loss cards (in which case, why does spectacle care about that?) or all the life loss cards are going to have reminder text saying they don't deal damage.
Spectacle could care about life loss for constructed without there being any life loss in the set. Shockland, fetchlands, Doom Whisperer, etc.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how design works.
No, they've used this sort of principal in the past. See Absorb and such. Hero's Downfall + Smelt, with the red replacing the generic mana.

Red can kill planeswalkers
Not really. Closest is Haphazard Bombardment, as far as I can tell.

EDIT:
themartiangeek asked:
Was proliferate ever considered for Simic's guild mechanic in Ravnica Allegiance?

It was. Proliferate was actually handed over to set design from vision design as the Simic mechanic. In my preview article (in a few weeks), I go into detail why it didn't work out.
21 notes Dec 19th, 2018

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate the simic mechanic already. I hope some of these remove counter effects are good enoug to justify these awful adapt mana costs. "pay 4 mana to get +1/+1. But only once" compared to that orzhov common is a joke lol. And even shit like 6 mana +4/+4 is dumb when your opponent can just kill it with an instant after you spent all your mana. Would have liked proliferate more tbh.

Orzhovs mechanic seems just good in general but I hope we get more controlly stuff like mortify down the line.

Rakdos seems cool. Nice versatile removal.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been nice if they added a mana to Dreadbore and made it 1BR without the Shatter effect.

BBR is so much harder to cast.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
They could have made Bedevil 1RB, but they chose to make it harder to splash.

Speaking of which.

DuziaI9WwAAp3-M.jpg:large

To think this is digital art.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
omg yes more Settle the Wreckage counters. Spellbreaker looks like a great card for a R/G or R/G/x midrange build.

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a really cool mechanic. It's amusingly very similar to Unleash, which was a Rakdos mechanic before, but I like it a lot.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
New mechs to me so far:

Riot > Spectacle > Afterlife > Adapt

Something about Adapt right now seems off. Beyond a one-time mana sink, I'm not really seeing how it would be useful in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.