• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
That gruul mechanic looks so great, wanted to build a decent red/green deck seems like in one month the time has come

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
First reaction to riot was that it's Fanatic of Xenagos but with you choosing as a mechanic, then I realized it's a strictly better unleash. And I see, this is why MaRo was talking about green becoming secondary in haste (when it was tertiary before).

abzan-adherent asked: Hey Mark, I wanted to give my input on Adapt. I think part of the reason is that it doesn't feel different enough from Monstrosity to warrant being the new Simic keyword. I think if you had just reprinted Monstrosity, it would have been well recieved.
We treated it as if it were a reprint. In my preview article I talk all about how it's a reprint. We tweaked it to make it work better with Simic (both to solve memory issues and let you use counters as a resource and reuse the ability). We're not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. It's essentially a reprint like Convoke was on Selesnya.

December 19, 2018

zargasheth asked: Ignoring the actual gameplay of it (which seems like an improvement), do you think Adapt would have gotten a better first-impression response if it had been an exact return of Monstrosity?
Maybe. The problem Monstrosity has memory issues with cards that put +1/+1 counters on other creatures, something Simic does a lot.

December 19, 2018

As far as they're concerned, adapt is a returning mechanic. This likely means Azorius won't have a returning one.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
First reaction to riot was that it's Fanatic of Xenagos but with you choosing as a mechanic, then I realized it's a strictly better unleash. And I see, this is why MaRo was talking about green becoming secondary in haste (when it was tertiary before).

abzan-adherent asked: Hey Mark, I wanted to give my input on Adapt. I think part of the reason is that it doesn't feel different enough from Monstrosity to warrant being the new Simic keyword. I think if you had just reprinted Monstrosity, it would have been well recieved.
We treated it as if it were a reprint. In my preview article I talk all about how it's a reprint. We tweaked it to make it work better with Simic (both to solve memory issues and let you use counters as a resource and reuse the ability). We're not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. It's essentially a reprint like Convoke was on Selesnya.

December 19, 2018

zargasheth asked: Ignoring the actual gameplay of it (which seems like an improvement), do you think Adapt would have gotten a better first-impression response if it had been an exact return of Monstrosity?
Maybe. The problem Monstrosity has memory issues with cards that put +1/+1 counters on other creatures, something Simic does a lot.

December 19, 2018

As far as they're concerned, adapt is a returning mechanic. This likely means Azorius won't have a returning one.

This makes sense. Monstrosity was great—but they should've been flip cards—but the memory issues were really a problem, especially for newer players (like I was at the time of Theros. Not new, but returning after a decade away.) I also like the idea that it allows counters to be used as currency for other cards.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Female ogre is cool to see.

Riot's a neat mechanic. Very spikey. Only worry is how well it will scale at larger sizes. Unleash had a problem where the bigger the creature is, the less the +1/+1 counter matters, and Gruul often has loads of big creatures.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why Proliferate is problematic to develop for.

A single instance of Proliferate does a bunch of things, and the more players you add on the more ridiculous a single instance of it actually is.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DuzfB2-WkAEUnjz.jpg

English version.
If anyone was asking "but why Red?!" it's because they don't hate Hero's Downfall, it's that Hero's Downfall gets played as a 4x in every black deck in Standard (it often did when it was legal) and they don't want it to be a 4x in every black deck.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was asking "but why Red?!" it's because they don't hate Hero's Downfall, it's that Hero's Downfall gets played as a 4x in every black deck in Standard (it often did when it was legal) and they don't want it to be a 4x in every black deck.
And now it's much harder to cast so good job?

Can' t even splash it in Grixis.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hero's Downfall came out when mono black was a tier 1 deck.
It still was a 4x in Abzan Rhinos. It was a good card and if you were playing black there wasn't any reason not to put 4 in. It wasn't a reward for playing those colors. It was just ruthlessly efficient and wasn't dead even against stuff like Azorius Control because they still ran Elspeth and Jace.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I find it funny that Riot is more of an adapt-like ability in concept than Adapt actually is, like you get to adapt to the situation and choose Haste or a +1/+1 counter while Simic gets... just +1/+1 counters. LUL

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Brandon Sanderson discussed his story on Reddit and in the Magic stream. Info collected by a poster on MTG Salvation.
Davriel is mostly B ( Sanderson pitched him as a mono-black heroic character) but a strong U side as well as a tiny bit of W for liking order and social structures, but mostly for others and not himself. Sanderson wrote a lot of Davriel thinking of how much he and Liliana would clash. He is from a known plane but Sanderson isn't allowed to say.

-The bog entity is G (though it acted a little B in its shattered state trying to reform), Darrel's entity is B. Entities are like "mana reservoirs--the collected mana of a plane--that can be tapped to power spells, but with dangerous results." The m15 soul cycle was an inspiration for him and they are formed from special circumstances. Sanderson can't confirm if anything else outside of his story is an entity. While mostly Sandersons idea, he worked with creative for work with MTG lore and think we will be seeing more of the entities.

-Tacenda started as mono R and her magic came from Sanderson wanting to show some non-combat magic but her personality came out more GW leaning hard on the G, so Sanderson now see her most G and secondarily RW. While in Sandersons head he thought of Tazenda becoming a planeswalker in the end and the bog entity being the source of her walking, Sanderson knows that doesn't full work in magic lore as well as not wanting to force in another walker so he left is up in the air for creative to use how they want. In Sanderson head Davriel is the same, while Davriel thinks that its his spark and "ignited when he he saw the true nature of the multiverse" (this is canon to how Davriel sparked on the magic lore).

-The demons would be B, though Miss Highwater has some RU to her, while Crunchgnar has some RG to him. Miss Highwater and Davriel relationship was something Sandersons had thought up in college and she was the demon he knew before hand he wanted to include.

-Willia is WGB

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That format had crazy good mana bases though. Wasn't there even a 4c Abzan deck?
It had worse mana than this one - it was either Temples/Shocks or Temples/fetchlands. This format has Checks and Shocks, so it's conceivably splashable if you're B/x/x.

Downfall was never legal while BFZ's dual-typed lands were legal so there weren't that many double colored cards.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
At PT Dragons Brad Nelson was playing some number of: fetches, trilands, painlands, temples, Urborg, and Mana Confluence in his 4-Downfall Abzan aggro deck that had two-drops in every color. "Either Temples/shocks or Temples/fetchlands" undersells the manabases a bit imo.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
They should be uncommon though. Looking at almost $100 for a competitive dual land manabase (a full set of shocks + checks) is almost downright criminal and prices a lot of people out of competitive play.
You don't need a full playset of all the lands for competitive play; just the ones in the deck that you plan to play. If you switch decks, they're pretty liquid, so it should be easy to trade one check for another; same with the shocks.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need a full playset of all the lands for competitive play; just the ones in the deck that you plan to play. If you switch decks, they're pretty liquid, so it should be easy to trade one check for another; same with the shocks.

Maybe I went a bit overboard with the 100€ figure (since some LGS that sell singles tend to be on the overpriced side due to the convenience) but just the 8 I need for a single deck are 70€: ~35€ for each 4x playset of Sulfur Falls and Steam Vents shopping around on cardmarket (a european site) for example. Yeah, I can trade them for other colours' set may I need to (and I should find someone that has a set but not currently playing it in the first place!) but I still think it's borderline prohibitive.

Oct 28, 2017

If it's 3 color, easily about $100 for the mana base. Maybe a little less if you scrounge for great deals. Shocks are 5-8 each and you need 12. Plus 12 checks that run 2-4 each. That's a lot.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is ridicoulus, that really shouldn't be up for debate. However, 25 years of Magic has made most people just become used to it. Also from the business side it unfortunately part of what makes the game financially viable for Hasbro.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's pretty dumb. Lands are already probably the most hated element in Magic, making high-quality basic functionality lands Rare was always a mistake and always will be, but like basically everything regarding lands we're just too far down the rabbit hole to fix the problem now. It would be nice if they at least started printing everything that's below Checklands in terms of quality (Temples, Tangos, etc.) at Uncommon, no one should be popping a Tier 3/4 dual as a draft rare.

At least they're pretty good about reprinting, where the Reserved List doesn't cock things up.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the Invasion duals and allied painlands were $2 a piece and Rishadan Port was like $10? Good times.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Consider yourself lucky you had the opportunity to buy and open packs containing the original duals and be disappointed when you got them.

I started around Urza's Legacy and the most expensive card you could open back then was a foil Charizard lol

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
"Read each addendum card carefully so you know exactly how each one works. The word "instead" in the addendum ability indicates a self-replacement effect, meaning you won't get the base effect, just the upgraded one."

Will have to see the printed cards but this sounds like a recipe for confusion. Unless it is something simple like "gain 3 life; addendum: gain 5 life"

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

en_xMJ4Ssl5jF.png
en_uyQh0CYouX.png

en_RrBPJamLvs_side.png

I have to say, I didn't expect this mechanic for Azorius at all. We've had cards like this in the past, in Time Spiral block and somewhere in Theros block, but this is the first time it's been labeled like this. I suppose the connections to Orzhov and Simic will be purely on a card by card basis. One neat thing about Emergency Powers is that the 7 mana is clearly referring to a new Bolas card (next set).

I'm surprised by the power of Incubation, given how strong previous one-mana green cantrips have been.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Gruul + Simic = both care about +1/+1 counters
Gruul + Rakdos = Gruul haste should help enable Rakdos Spectacle
Rakdos + Orzhov = Orzhov afterlife spirits should help enable Rakdos Spectacle
Azorius + anybody = 🤷🏼‍♂️

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Addendum is a boring ability word version of something they have done in the past, but it is at least flavorful. Hopefully there are more addendums than just "If it's your turn", such as "If your opponent attacked this turn" or "If your opponent cast a spell this turn" or something

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least the mechanic encourages playing stuff on your turn instead of playing draw-go. Maybe that'll make all the new Arena players less sad about control.

But wait, Teferi lets you untap lands you used to play your Addendum card for full value. Noooooooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.