• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Addendum is a boring ability word version of something they have done in the past, but it is at least flavorful. Hopefully there are more addendums than just "If it's your turn", such as "If your opponent attacked this turn" or "If your opponent cast a spell this turn" or something
The entire mechanic cares about casting on your turn. If it was based on a variety of conditions, then it would be pointless to give a name.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Went to my LGS standard showdown and ended up 2-2, not bad at all since I'm still learning how to pilot my Izzet Dupli-Drakes. It's a fucking salt generator when you manage to copy a crackling three times in a single turn.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I seriously hope Teferi doesn't get more of a boost than just manabase consistency from this pack. Thing's already tier 1 without any real glaring weaknesses (like, it doesn't like Niv, I suppose. But still, it's not exactly helpless even then.) I'd have to imagine if it gets much more, it could easily end up strangling standard pretty bad. (And yeah, this concern is at least partially fueled by the fact that I find it absolutely miserable and unfun to play against.)

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I seriously hope Teferi doesn't get more of a boost than just manabase consistency from this pack. Thing's already tier 1 without any real glaring weaknesses (like, it doesn't like Niv, I suppose. But still, it's not exactly helpless even then.) I'd have to imagine if it gets much more, it could easily end up strangling standard pretty bad. (And yeah, this concern is at least partially fueled by the fact that I find it absolutely miserable and unfun to play against.)

It's going to get a viable card or two. That said, so will other archetypes. They'll have tested Teferi in depth for months. I'd surely hope they don't have no answer to him other than Niv and Carnage Tyrant.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully they start intentionally printing more 'no wincon control' hosers (Carnage Tyrant, Banefire, etc.) across the color spectrum. Control players need to feel pressure to put timely wincons in their decks. The real horrible part about Teferi is that the best way to play it is without actual wincons and just hope your opponent concedes before you're stuck milling them at a rate of their natural draws.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they start intentionally printing more 'no wincon control' hosers (Carnage Tyrant, Banefire, etc.) across the color spectrum. Control players need to feel pressure to put timely wincons in their decks. The real horrible part about Teferi is that the best way to play it is without actual wincons and just hope your opponent concedes before you're stuck milling them at a rate of their natural draws.
it really isn't though. They play ways to win the game or put themselves ahead at some very obvious point.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
it really isn't though. They play ways to win the game or put themselves ahead at some very obvious point.

Well, if they are running actual wincons and not just stalling the board and baiting a concession, there should be no problem with every color having a big mana uncounterable way to stuff a stalled control board then, right? It'd just be a dead card no one would ever play.

Sep 14, 2018
Well, if they are running actual wincons and not just stalling the board and baiting a concession, there should be no problem with every color having a big mana uncounterable way to stuff a stalled control board then, right? It'd just be a dead card no one would ever play.

I play UW with a one of Lyra that is my only "win condition" if you define it as something that ends the game proactively, as opposed to the make them scoop approach, which won't even be a thing anymore with the incoming Rakdos Burn, after years of standard being a trash fire with Temur and RB running loose and making everyone hate the format, we have a relatively slower meta for 5 minutes and people complain ffs. You'll get your wish, Maro is a draw go hater but I have a feeling standard will quickly stop getting the praise it is now.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You can still play draw-go, just play it with actual fucking wincons like the crazy ones they've been printing for you. There's no reason Nezahal shouldn't be a thing in these decks, and frankly Azor probably should have showed up in them, too. The fact Teferi was a one-stop shop makes it too tempting for control players to feel as if they're under zero pressure once he's on the board with a counterspell behind him; the deck should still function, but it should feel some pressure to actually end the game in under 10 turns from the time control is established.

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing your opponent is trapped in your grip and slowly squeezing the will to live out of them is the only reason to play control. Quick wincons are for the weak.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The most satisfying feeling in this game: Dropping Niv Mizzet, Parun with 1 W up and then tagging him with Sheltering Light when they go for the kill.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing your opponent is trapped in your grip and slowly squeezing the will to live out of them is the only reason to play control. Quick wincons are for the weak.
Whenever I'm paired with such players I just drag the match for as long as I can instead of conceding so they get too much in their own head, hit the time limit for the round and end up with the match registered as a draw instead of a win. They take the bait every single time.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absorb is unplayable in current Magic

It's way worse than either Ionize or Sinister Sabotage so of course magic Twitter is mad about control

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People must think "Teferi colors" equals automatically broken because Absorb is a WUU counterspell where the upside is literally Healing Salve

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you say that?
1e8a43c1-42d1-45ef-8a63-4b87775a6e88.jpg
81e2b96b-ecf2-4dd9-bc9d-3c46ee8c59e6.jpg

They wouldn't use such an unusual mana cost for two guilds but not the other three in the set. Admittedly, they may not all be instants.

Sep 14, 2018
I'll throw it into Esper cause I always try everything anyway but meh, I'd rather run Mortify and not split Sabotage, 3cmc counters always suck anyway, except sweet Disallow.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, give UW nothing but trash so Tefari scum have to play the same deck for 6 more months. Or stop being degenerates, but that'll never happen.

Feb 16, 2018
3 life is good

surveil 1 is also good, but it's a more replaceable effect

i'm not sure i really want to be playing control if the difference between drawing and binning my next card is that important

Oct 28, 2017
3 life is good

i'm not sure i really want to be playing control if the difference between drawing and binning my next card is that important

It's card advantage in the form of draw fixing. That said, 3 life can be very valuable against aggro. Absorb is not going to dominate a balanced meta, but it's certainly viable if aggro is strong.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced that Absorb is as bad as y'all make it out to be. It's costed appropriately and does two things that control decks like to do, say "Nope" and prolong the game.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not convinced that Absorb is as bad as y'all make it out to be. It's costed appropriately and does two things that control decks like to do, say "Nope" and prolong the game.

By the time Control decks are playing their unconditional counterspells, they're generally also beyond the point where they care much about life totals.

Might still see some sideboard play to help Azorius decks stay above the waterline of Banefire if Rakdos Burn become a thing, but otherwise it's just sort of not doing the thing you need at the point you need to be doing it. Kind of funny in Rainbow Lich, though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's worse than Sabotage in most cases. It's not a terrible card, just not what you want to see as your rare when you open a pack and it's a pretty underwhelming reprint.

WotC has a terrible counterspell in a rare slot in every set so I guess Absorb isn't too bad in that context.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we're a week away from the next thread, so time for thread title suggestions. Here are the suggestions that have come up already.

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Who Ya Gonna Call?
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Winter Is Coming
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Last In, No One Out (might be a good third set subtitle)
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - FEEL THE BAAN
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - The Greatest Show on Ravnica

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Wrangling Baan, and Barely
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Second Verse, Same as the First
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Half The Set Was Spoiled Already
Moving Out In the Two-Set Block Structure.
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - At Least 50% New Cards Inside

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Part 2 of 3
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - The Stage is Set
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - All the World's a Stage
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - A solid 5/10
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Women In Black

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Baan Strikes Back
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Citizen Kaya
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - City Slickers III
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - How Teysa Got Her Guild Back
"Get it on Baan a Gruul"
|OT| Walk on Guilded Splinters

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 life is good

Surveil is way better than Healing Salve

People keep saying "this is good because incidental life gain is good" except lifegain isn't incidental when you have to not play a better spell and also pay a tougher mana cost.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? People pay 2 mana for Revitalize. Would you play Discovery as a standalone card if it was only Surveil 1?
It's not actually incidental life gain. Playing Absorb means you're playing a WUU spell over a 1UU spell for one and also choosing 3 life over Surveil 1. Scry 1 was extremely strong in control when Dissolve was legal and Surveil is basically strictly better.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Against burn, Absorb is a 2-for-1. Against aggro, three life can add a whole turn to your opponent's clock which can be the difference between winning and losing.

I know Surveil is strong and is just generally good while life gain can be meaningless, but when life gain while attached to a useful effect is powerful, it's really powerful.

Maybe it becomes a thing you put in your sideboard instead of mainboard but I wouldn't call it pointless or bad.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's like saying playing Lightning Bolt in control decks is pointless against the mirror. Different cards are better against different matchups.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, we're a week away from the next thread, so time for thread title suggestions. Here are the suggestions that have come up already.

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Who Ya Gonna Call?
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Winter Is Coming
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Last In, No One Out (might be a good third set subtitle)
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - FEEL THE BAAN
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - The Greatest Show on Ravnica

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Wrangling Baan, and Barely
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Second Verse, Same as the First
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - Half The Set Was Spoiled Already
Moving Out In the Two-Set Block Structure.
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica: Allegiance - At Least 50% New Cards Inside

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Part 2 of 3
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - The Stage is Set
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - All the World's a Stage
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - A solid 5/10
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Women In Black

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Baan Strikes Back
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - Citizen Kaya
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - City Slickers III
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Ravnica Allegiance - How Teysa Got Her Guild Back
"Get it on Baan a Gruul"
|OT| Walk on Guilded Splinters

click to see 10 lands that will SHOCK you!

Oh yes. Please do "These 5 Lands Will SHOCK You!" Or something similar. I love that.

Oct 28, 2017
Against burn, Absorb is a 2-for-1. Against aggro, three life can add a whole turn to your opponent's clock which can be the difference between winning and losing.

I know Surveil is strong and is just generally good while life gain can be meaningless, but when life gain while attached to a useful effect is powerful, it's really powerful.

Maybe it becomes a thing you put in your sideboard instead of mainboard but I wouldn't call it pointless or bad.

Exactly. Against Aggro, Rakdos Burn or even some midrange decks, Absorb wins games. Sabotage doesn't.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Revitalize mostly sees play because W/U Control just doesn't do much with 1-2 mana in general. The deck's mostly just stalling board with Seal Aways and waiting for a sweeper at that point, or in some variations dicking around with a Treasure Map. You can put practically any cantrip effect into that slot.

You can't really get as froggy with your unconditional counters, which is why Absorb is probably a sideboard card at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.