• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's not the lands themselves what worries me, it's getting sucked into building decks that rely too much in them and ending up with a bunch of borderline playable cardboard for other formats after the rotation happens.
Welcome to Standard!

Not much you can do about it unfortunately except selling/trading your cards way before the rotation.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Standard!

Not much you can do about it unfortunately except selling/trading your cards way before the rotation.

That's exactly why I'm trying to impose on myself a limit on max 5-6€ per card, max ~40-50€ whole deck sans lands, no boosters at all unless I just went to the LGS to play and didn't make a purchase that day. I may not win as much as I'd like to but I still get to have financially responsible fun and not regret purchasing very expensive cardboard.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could ever justify paper standard now that Arena exists. I've essentially got every card needed for every playable standard deck and then some, and I've easily put in less money than even a single budget standard deck would cost in paper.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly why I'm trying to impose on myself a limit on max 5-6€ per card, max ~40-50€ whole deck sans lands, no boosters at all unless I just went to the LGS to play and didn't make a purchase that day. I may not win as much as I'd like to but I still get to have financially responsible fun and not regret purchasing very expensive cardboard.
This is how my friend and I started playing a few years ago. Budget decks. No frills. Just fun.

Fast forward to now and I just ordered a $60 Noble Hierarch and have multiple modern decks.

In other words, don't underestimate how your interest in the game might grow and change. You might consider a non-rotatimg format since you don't want your cards to suddenly become unplayable.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You mostly wanted to play paper Standard to do well in GPs and qualify for the PT but apparently they're going to overthrow everything regarding competitive play so lol

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
You mostly wanted to play paper Standard to do well in GPs and qualify for the PT but apparently they're going to overthrow everything regarding competitive play so lol

That's also a reason why I don't want to go overboard since Standard is fully playable in Arena anyway. EDH is comfy as well, but Modern scares me since it looks like most people at both LGSs I go to are using those fucking crazy $1000+ decks. Like, I can always make a cheap burn deck or something similar from MTGGoldfish budget series but I think I would get bored of it too quickly.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I've gotten back into the game as a casual edh player. My per card limit was 3$ and just about to hit 5$. No way I can keep up with standard at this point. Sometimes do draft and release sealed.

My out of town friend brought back his decks and completely trounced me and another with his highly tuned deck. Last game on the board was muldrotha, black mikaeus, sheoldred, Jin-gitaxis, flip have, rhystic study, and phyrexian arena. Yet he still got salty af when I beat him in a mana-screwed game and complaining about him playing an archenemy game.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten back into the game as a casual edh player. My per card limit was 3$ and just about to hit 5$. No way I can keep up with standard at this point. Sometimes do draft and release sealed.

My out of town friend brought back his decks and completely trounced me and another with his highly tuned deck. Last game on the board was muldrotha, black mikaeus, sheoldred, Jin-gitaxis, flip have, rhystic study, and phyrexian arena. Yet he still got salty af when I beat him in a mana-screwed game and complaining about him playing an archenemy game.
Meh salt will always happen. Get it, give it, shuffle up and draw 7 more.

That said, I'm gonna try to be less salty in 2019 :)

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Year!
This time last year I was excited because 2018 had a set I was extra excited for you all to see (Dominaria). For 2019, there's three! I should stress that I'm excited for all the sets this year. Three (none of which you know much about) just did something a bit out of the ordinary, each in their own way, that have me extra excited.
I predict an awesome Magic year!

December 31, 2018

krinstranger asked: Is Ravnica Allegiance one of the three sets that have you so excited for 2019?
No. It's a good set, but as the eighth guild set, it's not exactly us doing something different. The sets I'm extra excited about are paving new ground.

January 01, 2019

themartiangeek asked: Do we get to know how many of the three extra-exciting sets are Standard-legal and how many are supplementary?
Two are Standard-legal and one's a supplemental set. : )

January 01, 2019

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Just a whiner who doesn't get it. There's no higher compliment in Commander than to become the Archenemy. The game isn't about winning, winning is often an afterthought brought about by random kingmaking of a third party. If you're a Spike in Commander and you aren't drawing all the aggro in the world you're an abject failure, and if you're crying about it when you do you're an even bigger failure for not understanding the real victory condition of the game you're playing.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"You guys are dicks for stopping me," player with a game winning combo setup says to table of three-to-four other Magic playing humans.

I will absolutely never understand that mindset. If you can't play politics you like won't win.

RNA - Bankrupt in Blood art
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Bankrupt in Blood by @SebMcKinnon
Digital
#mtgart #mtgrna
Thanks to @wizards_magic for the free preview art from the new set! My article at @CoolStuffInc this Friday will have the card preview.

Until then, what do you think this card does? :thinking:

Dv1phNfVAAENm9i.jpg:small

I can't help but notice that the woman's pose is reused from Bedevil, but still, neat art.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Seb McKinnon's work. His art has a raw and old school Magic feel to them. Glad that he's been such a prominent artist in this "block."

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Digital
#mtgart #mtgrna
Thanks to @wizards_magic for the free preview art from the new set! My article at @CoolStuffInc this Friday will have the card preview.

I can't help but notice that the woman's pose is reused from Bedevil, but still, neat art.

Could be it's an art cycle. How many pieces does an artist do per set?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Digital
#mtgart #mtgrna

It's an Orzhov card that provides a Blood Artist type effect, probably.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've already shared this over here some other time, but I still need some help with it:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-guild-mix/

Very commonly I find myself with not much to do on early turns while my opponents are already dropping tons of stuff. The problem is that the mana curve looks totally normal and I even have some mana dorks and ramp to help with it so I don't really know if I'm having really poor initial hands or else there's some way I can tweak it.

I'm pending on getting a Stitcher's Supplier to help speeding up the milling (and once you have 4-5 creatures in the graveyard the deck starts to get really fun to play) but I'm not totally sure which one of the creatures I have in there seem the most superfluous since almost everything has some use: either 2 for 1, self-milling, draw, value or sac outlets for other stuff on board. I'm not totally 100% convinced on Charnell Troll (since it takes creatures OUT of my graveyard into exile) or Deadbridge Goliath (the Scavenge cost seems too high) but maybe there's some other stuff that's not offering as much value as it initially looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.