• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a merfolk dinosaur that gives board wide hexproof and I'll be content.

Also, I hope they have some crazy afterlife numbers for Orzhov. It's time for Aristocrats to shine in modern. There are dozens of us!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Simic looks like trash again, but god their art direction is so beautiful.

Something about Ravnica blocks touches my heart.

Dovin, Grand Arbiter
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Dv7duVsX0AEBy65.jpg:small

Three mana thopter and one life.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So instead of nerfing Teferi they give UW players even more tools. Cheap "destroy target planeswalker, can't be countered" in B/R/G when?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
simic has to have the widest flavor i like best/gameplay i like least ratio

deputy of detention seems totally nuts god i hate azorius

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking told everyone that he would be three mana to be perfectly aligned with Teferi in UW.

Called itttt
This doesn't really align with Teferi at all though. Teferi is a pretty hardcore control planeswalker, whereas this is something more like Pirate Jace that wants you to tap out and slam it ASAP. That plus is really bad under most circumstances.

I think this card is good and will see play though - it's a 3 mana walker that makes flying guys.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I mean align with Teferi in that it plays perfectly in the mana cost.

As abilities go, it's much more in line with Tezzeret.

79.jpg

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So instead of nerfing Teferi they give UW players even more tools. Cheap "destroy target planeswalker, can't be countered" in B/R/G when?
Honestly, could we just like, errata Lava Coil to be able to hit Planeswalkers too? That's the maddening thing on Arena, as you kind of need to run it to deal with a lot of key threats from other decks, but then it's flat out dead against Teferi, and the game just doesn't incentivize playing anything but best of one, so subbing it out isn't generally a thing either. Plus when I'm playing Drakes, there's beacon bolt, too. Somehow ended up stuck most of a game with a hand with at least 3 of my lava coils and both my beacon bolts against a Teferi deck earlier today and it was just miserable. :(

Edit: Guess that means I kind of should look at my deck and modify though, as that really does screw up that match-up... Hmm. I dunno, probably going to wait till the new set before changing anything anyway, though.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean align with Teferi in that it plays perfectly in the mana cost.

As abilities go, it's much more in line with Tezzeret.

79.jpg
Okay, I see.

I think you're right - I'm wondering about Dovin into Ajani into Tezzeret with a bunch of disruptive 2 drops. Ajani is probably the odd one out there, although if you're in white he can make those Thopters lethal as hell real fast...

But yeah, Karn could be big game in a deck like this. I'm feeling Superfriends!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dovin is cool. It's not a super obvious design, and I'm glad it's not yet another tool for control.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, could we just like, errata Lava Coil to be able to hit Planeswalkers too? That's the maddening thing on Arena, as you kind of need to run it to deal with a lot of key threats from other decks, but then it's flat out dead against Teferi, and the game just doesn't incentivize playing anything but best of one, so subbing it out isn't generally a thing either. Plus when I'm playing Drakes, there's beacon bolt, too. Somehow ended up stuck most of a game with a hand with at least 3 of my lava coils and both my beacon bolts against a Teferi deck earlier today and it was just miserable. :(

Edit: Guess that means I kind of should look at my deck and modify though, as that really does screw up that match-up... Hmm. I dunno, probably going to wait till the new set before changing anything anyway, though.
slot in negate/banefire in izzet if you go against teferi so many times.
but it more likely that you remember the matches against teferi decks more then other archetipes :v

Sep 14, 2018
the game just doesn't incentivize playing anything but best of one.

Sort of true but Bo3 event (the one with Chandra) has pretty much equivalent rewards, I don't get the point of complaining about Bo1 if you're forcing yourself to play it. The reason decks like fog run loose is the format, no one plays that deck in "traditional" queue.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Okay, I see.

I think you're right - I'm wondering about Dovin into Ajani into Tezzeret with a bunch of disruptive 2 drops. Ajani is probably the odd one out there, although if you're in white he can make those Thopters lethal as hell real fast...

But yeah, Karn could be big game in a deck like this. I'm feeling Superfriends!
I'm super excited to brew UW Thopter/Constructs. Get a Sai in there, Mox Amber, baby you got a stew going

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I usually run 4 Lightning Strike and 2 Lava Coils in my Izzet deck. If I have to fight weenies I'll pack a couple more Shocks, for big creatures and non-control PW I change the lava coils with Fight with Fire and for control PW (mostly Teferi) I get a 2 Banefire + 2 Negate instead of a couple of creatures and cantrips. Works mostly good so far, but it's suboptimal for Bo1 in Arena.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Dovin and Teferi decks being viable, Teferi is heavy control aka instants counter and so on, Dovin really doesn't add anything there. Dovin seems much more suited to be played with unblockable creatures maybe in combination with Tezzeret.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I could see her doing something is in older formats with their much lower curves, but I feel like you don't wanna be paying 3 mana to kill their one drop or maybe hose some graveyard stuff. Even if you're killing stuff like Chalice, Aether Vial, Noble Hierarch, Delver, etc

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that is disappointing. What's the point of a 3 cost plainswalker with graveyard hate? How many times are you going to be able to drop this turn 3 and...even do anything with it? I'm the ultimate is decent but I don't see it justifying a spot in any deck tbh. Man I am so dissapointed, first BW pkainswalker in forever and it's legit garbage.

Judith, the Scourge Diva
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
e04xh9qqk2821.jpg

Here's an Aristocrats card for you. Nontoken, but damage to any target.

For those unfamiliar, Aristocrats refers to decks where you sacrifice creatures to trigger creatures that deal damage whenever a creature dies. Name refers both to how the creatures involved tend to be aristocratic, and the comedy routine.

I'm kind of surprised the card title doesn't use her title of Murder Girl, since that's how she was addressed in all Return to Ravnica block flavor text.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kaya is pretty clearly aimed at Modern, where that -1 is super super good vs say, literally any Aether Vial deck.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to R&D for Dovin- you made a great 3 mana PW that doesn't have any positive interaction with Teferi in UW. I don't know if it ends up finding a place in Standard (or anywhere) but this is a good card
Kaya, on the other hand.... this either should be 2 mana, or the numbers on the card need to change. That -1 should be a 0, or her ult should be -4, or her +1 should be a +2.... this card isn't ever going to see play anywhere
Kaya is pretty clearly aimed at Modern, where that -1 is super super good vs say, literally any Aether Vial deck.
She blows up the Vial... but all the 2 drops they are Vial'ing in then kill her instantly

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's just blah on Hydroid Krasis? Cast-trigger card draw seems like a pretty big deal for ramp, no?

Sep 14, 2018
These two walkers will see about as much play as sexy Jace, her abilities are very flavourful though how nice.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's just blah on Hydroid Krasis? Cast-trigger card draw seems like a pretty big deal for ramp, no?

Easy 4 of in any jank simic deck I make going forward, which will be many. Just not much else to say about it really.\

Judith is kind of whatever. She'll most likely see play in standard but kind of redundant in modern. blood artist and cutthroat do it better for less mana, for all creatures and give you life to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.