• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
e04xh9qqk2821.jpg

Here's an Aristocrats card for you. Nontoken, but damage to any target.

For those unfamiliar, Aristocrats refers to decks where you sacrifice creatures to trigger creatures that deal damage whenever a creature dies. Name refers both to how the creatures involved tend to be aristocratic, and the comedy routine.

I'm kind of surprised the card title doesn't use her title of Murder Girl, since that's how she was addressed in all Return to Ravnica block flavor text.

Ok, this seals the deal. Totally building a jank Rakdos burn deck featuring her.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And there aren't really any Black/White Vintage decks running around, I'm pretty sure.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judy seems fun too. Not sure if that deck can play a bunch of three drops, but I like the idea of either Midnight Reaper or Ruin Raider in a deck like that.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The 'walkers are ass, but Judith seems fine, could find a home somewhere.

MagicFest 2019 events

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The GP formats suuuuccccckkkkk

Dv7yF_MW0AAigN4.jpg:large

From a European perspective, yuck, but it's also hilarious they bring out one of the other downsides of this announcement schedule by putting the one people are most likely to travel far for (Legacy) early in the quarter so people have the least amount of time possible to plan

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of true but Bo3 event (the one with Chandra) has pretty much equivalent rewards, I don't get the point of complaining about Bo1 if you're forcing yourself to play it. The reason decks like fog run loose is the format, no one plays that deck in "traditional" queue.
Ah, yeah, fair. I was just trying to acknowledge that part of my problems really were down to the format of best of one versus things being horribly broken. And admittedly a lot of the reason I've been sticking to best of 1 is just plain not having much time to put in lately, which is on me rather than the game. Which I've actually been mostly fine with... but running up against Teferi with the wrong deck in that format can be extra miserable, leading to me being more salty than I probably should be, haha.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Splashable in the right deck.

Hitting 2 or 4 + UUUU can be extremely risky on a 2 colour deck, especially if you have to tap out and your opponent has potentially some counterspells in the sleeve. I mean, I could use a couple of them in the sideboard to have some hope of dealing with Teferi or Niv Mizzet but if I haven't blasted the enemy and allowed one of those bombs to drop by the time I have 8 lands on the board it's probably over for me.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
With Mass Manipulation and the other mana heavy cards, I wonder if we'll see graveyard chroma in Ravnica 3-3, like Umbra Stalker.
48.jpg

It would thematically fit with Bolas.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
With Mass Manipulation and the other mana heavy cards, I wonder if we'll see graveyard chroma in Ravnica 3-3, like Umbra Stalker.
48.jpg

It would thematically fit with Bolas.

WotC seems to be moving away from stuff like this. New players counting the mana symbols in their graveyard everytime they attack (not to mention the obfuscation of game data from opponents if the player has their graveyard stacked in a pile) wouldn't fly these days.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
WotC seems to be moving away from stuff like this. New players counting the mana symbols in their graveyard everytime they attack (not to mention the obfuscation of game data from opponents if the player has their graveyard stacked in a pile) wouldn't fly these days.
We have just had Undergrowth for Golgari (counting creatures) and Izzet Drakes (counting instant/sorcery in both gy and exile) though. Not as obtuse as counting mana symbols but still rather easy for your opponent to forget how much you can screw them up.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just gimme 1 or 2 more decent sac/on death effects Wizards and I'll bring standard Aristocrats into this world. Already got Demon of Catastrophe, Torgaar and Rite of Belzeniok lying around, it's almost within reach...just reprint blood artist...

Last edited:

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Magicfest Taipei being standard is all right with me. Hopefully blue tempo is still playable so I can just run that.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking straight up devotion until I saw Mass Manipulation. Good point about counting up symbols. Perhaps chroma that acts like Sanity Grinding or looks at spells cast.
29.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need more backstory how Kaya can kill the Ghost Council because none of her abilities kills either one. #flavorfail

Will Simic ever not be complete jank? I'm not complaining, I'm salivating at the thought of the monstrosities I will make with just the cards revealed, but it seems like it will always be the bastard child out of all the guilds.

At least now there's Carnage Tyrant to keep things competitive.
Are you suggesting Simic has been less shafted than Izzet?

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
ill take these niche planeswalkers over generic 5cmc value machines as long as the flavor is on point

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need more backstory how Kaya can kill the Ghost Council because none of her abilities kills either one. #flavorfail

Are you suggesting Simic has been less shafted than Izzet?
I think they should have just printed Kaya, Ghost Assassin. That one doesn't really kill the Council either, but it's a really interesting card.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GP formats suuuuccccckkkkk

Dv7yF_MW0AAigN4.jpg:large

From a European perspective, yuck, but it's also hilarious they bring out one of the other downsides of this announcement schedule by putting the one people are most likely to travel far for (Legacy) early in the quarter so people have the least amount of time possible to plan
This kinda smells like a non-Standard booster release is coming.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Kaya doesn't kill the Obzedat.

I think they're both bad honestly. Guess nobody will usurp Sorin just yet.

i agree with ya on this one that it doesnt fit the flavor but tbf its kinda hard to make a planeswalker able to kill the obzedat without wotc opening up design space they said they dont want to do yet and give planeswalkers static/triggered abilities

her card with "when NAME etbs, exile target spirit" attached to it would put it all together as far as flavored is concered imo

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense how she did it in the first place.

Doesn't the Obzedat consist of six members? Unless they're as dumb as the Eldrazi, that feat seems more unbelievable than John Wick's impossible job.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Actually that might just be the Summer release.

Maybe the expected core set may not be a core set? Cause a lot of core set limited would be weird.

Didn't they say they were done for a while with the Masters sets though? Also Core sets were just reintroduced last year as a way to reprint cards they want back in Standard but that don't fit the running sets themes or flavours, and also rebalance the format a bit so I don't think they would get rid of them again so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.