• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this post based on some sort of official comment or just your speculation?
It's a problem in Bo1 on Arena already. Chris Clay posted on Reddit that they're aware it's a problem today.

Wilderness Reclamation makes the problem a billion times worse because it ramps you into a T5 Nexus and all sorts of other ridiculous nonsense. Simic getting an instant speed ramp spell also doesn't help matters.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a problem in Bo1 on Arena already. Chris Clay posted on Reddit that they're aware it's a problem today.

Wilderness Reclamation makes the problem a billion times worse because it ramps you into a T5 Nexus and all sorts of other ridiculous nonsense. Simic getting an instant speed ramp spell also doesn't help matters.
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that Buy a Box promos aren't Standard legal as a "solution".

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Innistrad literally had no written story. That was because the Scars book was so bad and sold so poorly that they discontinued them. Subsequently, Innistrad had no cannon story. Garruk's outcome got retconned *twice* and so did the werewolf plot. Thats the Scars implosion. Its a literal curtailing of the story team that happened and was reflected by poor storytelling and lots of retconning. Innistrad has story NOW but it did not have story at the time.

If you want to be reductionist and say the story starts at Alara, then it really starts in the Legends Cycle 2 books and Kamigawa since that was where Bolas really shows up. The current Gatewatch story 100% has its roots in RtR.

Bolas's plan isn't unknown. Again, a case of you perhaps not being up on the story, not a case of the story not being there. He's going to attack Ravnica to lure planeswalkers there, then trap them to harvest their sparks and regain his godwalker status. His goal hasn't changed since Alara. Ravnica is the new york of the multiverse. Its the only place that logically works to hatch such a plan. Of note, we didn't know the WHY of Amonkhet until the end of that block. You're leveling a million criticisms at a story thats untold while saying 'see, these stories are complete, why isn't this more like those?' The story hasn't happened yet, the book isn't out, you're criticizing air until then.
We are so far away from what I was even saying. And I wasn't even saying it to you lol Retcons or not, Innistrad and Mirrodin are infinitely more interesting to me than Ravnica.

You really believe the Gatewatch story began in RTR? Depsite the fact that two actual Gatewatch members formed the Gatewatch while cleaning up a mess they made together in Zendikar block? And having been manipulated by Bolas' to boot? I mean it all kinda ties back to that, but, Ok. : shrug :

Dominaria is the actual center of the multiverse. His plan going off there would not only make more sense from that perspective, but it would be cool to bring the Mending plot full circle to where he lost his powers. I'll eat crow if there's a good reason we're in the NewYorkNewYork of the multiverse other than it's popular. But I sincerely doubt there is. We'll see. Also, can you show me where it was explicitly stated that's Bolas' plan?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder

was the set designed with Arena in mind? I've seen comments that having random effects like that(Flip a coin for each creature) usually don't happen in Magic. So by having something like that, it creates a viewer excitability for Arena..?
The increase in coin flipping more strongly corresponds to the positive reception of Unstable's dice rolling showing that a large enough audience enjoys that kind of randomness, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
We are so far away from what I was even saying. And I wasn't even saying it to you lol Retcons or not, Innistrad and Mirrodin are infinitely more interesting to me than Ravnica.

You really believe the Gatewatch story began in RTR? Depsite the fact that two actual Gatewatch members formed the Gatewatch while cleaning up a mess they made together in Zendikar block? And having been manipulated by Bolas' to boot? I mean it all kinda ties back to that, but, Ok. : shrug :

Dominaria is the actual center of the multiverse. His plan going off there would not only make more sense from that perspective, but it would be cool to bring the Mending plot full circle to where he lost his powers. I'll eat crow if there's a good reason we're in the NewYorkNewYork of the multiverse other than it's popular. But I sincerely doubt there is. We'll see. Also, can you show me where it was explicitly stated that's Bolas' plan?

I mean I cant make you budge if you're not interested in Ravnica, but I'm bringing fairly objective points to bare here. Ravnica and Mirrodin are some of the most Magic worlds because they derive more from Magic and less from popular culture. Those are the worlds that give the game its identity, and they can't just be brushed aside.

Strictly, the Gatewatch story began with BFZ because it wasn't conceived of before then and that was a clear reset point for the story telling. Arc wise, the one we're in starts with Jace becoming the Guildpact, as we are now dealing with Jace's dereliction of duty. Things starting and ending in the same place, dealing with the same subject matter. There being loose threads that lead to it doesn't mean anything because Magic's story is nothing but loose threads that lead to other things.

Dominaria isn't a place where you can trap walkers. Dominaria is constantly under siege, why would anyone show up to stop a plot there, its already happened a bunch of times. Ravnica is a commerce hub with advanced magical laws and government that is presumed to not be under serious threat, both by players reading the story, and characters within the story. This makes it the perfect bait to attract a large number of planeswalkers. And a large number of walker's is Bolas's goal. I'd even say Bolas would likely completely avoid Dominaria because that's where he was last defeated.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
How many shocklands are too many shocklands for a Standard deck? I'm seeing a lot of 3-colour brews around with 12 of them and if feels overkill. Wouldn't it be a little bit safer to limit them to 6-8 in the mission critical colours for the first turns and have more checklands that are free duals as soon as you get a shock or basic on the board?

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many shocklands are too many shocklands for a Standard deck? I'm seeing a lot of 3-colour brews around with 12 of them and if feels overkill. Wouldn't it be a little bit safer to limit them to 6-8 in the mission critical colours for the first turns and have more checklands that are free duals as soon as you get a shock or basic on the board?
You only would play 12 if you were trying to cast double colored spells of every color

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
You only would play 12 if you were trying to cast double colored spells of every color

Which isn't the case. Most of the brews of that kind I'm seeing around only need one or two colours to be on curve the initial 2 or 3 turns, so I'm like... for what fucking purpose? Like, if the only colour you absolutely need for the first and second turn is Green, just get 3 of each G(X) and G(Y) shocklands, make sure you have 3-4 forests and let checklands in all 3 possible combinations do the magic afterwards.

Edit: I know I'm talking a little bit out of my ass since deckbuilding is not my forte, but it makes absolutely no sense to me to pack 24 points of self-damage worth of ETB untapped lands when checklands will do it for free if you get it right at the start.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It only makes sense if you have something like Llanowar Elves and need to curve out. Control decks don't want to take too much damage or want too many tapped lands.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Now the serious question... if I were to turn my Izzet drakes deck into Temur for added explosive potential does Rhythm of the Wild have any place on it? It could also give me some more sideboard tools with Thrash//Threat (anti-planeswalkers) or Naturalize (anti-enchantments and artifacts)

Edit: something like this -> Temur Drakes

Last edited:

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Now the serious question... if I were to turn my Izzet drakes deck into Temur for added explosive potential does Rhythm of the Wild have any place on it? It could also give me some more sideboard tools with Thrash//Threat (anti-planeswalkers) or Naturalize (anti-enchantments and artifacts)

I saw Brad Nelson playing this on stream and it looked like he was playing 4x Growth Spiral and 2x Rhythm of the Wild with the standard 4x Engma Drake, 4x Crackling Drake and 2x Niv. Didn't get a good look at his mana base. Seemed decent but I never saw him get a Rhythm in play. Turn 3 drakes seem nice though.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Brad Nelson playing this on stream and it looked like he was playing 4x Growth Spiral and 2x Rythem of the Wild with the standard 4x Engma Drake, 4x Crackling Drake and 2x Niv. Didn't get a good look at his mana base. Seemed decent but I never saw him get a Rythem in play. Turn 3 drakes seem nice though.

That also looks like a good plan.

Edit: Aaaaaaand buylist done. If I manage to open the Simic shocklands during the weekend (or any other to trade for the Simic ones) so I don't have to buy them in singles it will pretty much be a 10-12€ upgrade

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised I'm not sure about the rules of a card, and the Gatherer page doesn't clarify it. It's about Growth Spiral:
Types: Instant
Card Text: Draw a card. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

I know that if I put a land in the battlefield using it, it would be additional to the regular turn land, but would it follow all the ETB rules? Like, I would have to chose between tapped or 2 life for Shocklands and all that? Or it enters untapped regardless since it was not a regularly "played" land?

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realised I'm not sure about the rules of a card, and the Gatherer page doesn't clarify it. It's about Growth Spiral:
Card Text: Draw a card. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

I know that if I put a land in the battlefield using it, it would be additional to the regular turn land, but would it follow all the ETB rules? Like, I would have to chose between tapped or 2 life for Shocklands and all that? Or it enters untapped regardless since it was not a regularly "played" land?

The land would still retain its own effects. Ie a shockland you can still pay the 2 to have it untapped.

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I know, anything that gets put onto the battlefield has ETB (Enter The Battlefield) effects trigger. This is different from say, Hearthstone with Battlecry, where if something gets pulled out of your deck and onto the field, I don't think the Battlecry triggers.

For example in Magic, I believe Enter The Battlefield triggers whether you play a card, or whether you put it onto your field from your hand/deck/graveyard, or whether it came from exile because you destroyed an enchantment that was exiling it.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is different to say, Hearthstone with Battlecry, where if something gets pulled out of your deck and onto the field, I don't think the Battlecry triggers.

Correct. The rules text on Battlecry specifies that it must be played from your hand to get the effect. So if the card gets pulled from your deck or enters the battlefield through any other means it doesn't trigger. Even if the card is forcibly pulled from your hand onto the battlefield via another card it won't trigger. This is hugely relevant in Hearthstone.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Any great MTG iOS apps I should have on my phone? I'm speficially looking for something that has a nice, speedy, offline searchable card database. I know about MTG Guide, but are there others? Searching on the App Store returns results for a lot of janky-looking stuff.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any great MTG iOS apps I should have on my phone? I'm speficially looking for something that has a nice, speedy, offline searchable card database. I know about MTG Guide, but are there others? Searching on the App Store returns results for a lot of janky-looking stuff.

I don't know of any good apps that work offline, but the TCGPlayer app is great for trades since you can scan cards with your camera and get prices immediately.

Scryfall.com is the best card database but that's a website instead of an offline app.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
So just signed up for the midnight sealed, went Azorius, and the Saturday sealed, Orzhov. Looking more at the set, Rakdos seems the strongest in limited with the ability to grab some Gruul and Orzhov cards.

Also, anyone tried the Ultimate Guard SuperHive 550+ and the SideWinder toploaders? Im trying to reorganize my EDH decks and get them out of those cardboard loaders.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct. The rules text on Battlecry specifies that it must be played from your hand to get the effect. So if the card gets pulled from your deck or enters the battlefield through any other means it doesn't trigger. Even if the card is forcibly pulled from your hand onto the battlefield via another card it won't trigger. This is hugely relevant in Hearthstone.

And then there are exceptions. For example Settle the Wreckage states that the opponent can put lands from their deck onto the field, but they enter tapped. Compared to say, Assassins Trophy, which states that the opponent can put a land from their deck into the battlefield.

Oct 25, 2017
And then there are exceptions. For example Settle the Wreckage states that the opponent can put lands from their deck onto the field, but they enter tapped. Compared to say, Assassins Trophy, which states that the opponent can put a land from their deck into the battlefield.
That's not an exception though. Some effects put cards onto the battlefield tapped, and some put cards onto the battlefield untapped, but in BOTH cases, any Enter the Battlefield effects would trigger for the new card(s).

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
You're guaranteed to get nothing, because 2/3 of my packs had at least one wildcard, including a rare wildcard. :P
i got two amplifires and a bunch of white cards, cry for me

at least i got a breeding pool and some big dumb enchantments

i mean i did get a domri and a mythic wildcard but still, not much i was looking for! ah well, maybe sealed later will be kind

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hmm, thanks. So I guess there's no way to predict it other than which guilds seem interesting. It seems like the opinions are that Gruul and Rakdos are the best bets unless you want to try for blue.
You won't know what you get beyond having one pack that exclusively features cards of a particular guild, yes.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone got an Allegiance Draft code left, I'd happily take one. Cant spend money on them atm. :-x

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's draft codes, only sealed codes and those were for GRN, RNA sealed codes will be at prerelease

edit: ok mb, forgot about that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm late to this convo but I liked Ravnica a lot more when it was self-contained. Guilds "aligning" with Bolas is like the biggest flavor "mehhhh" I could imagine. The Gatewatch story is like a worse Weatherlight Saga.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
At least let Bolas kill one of the Gatewatch members. I'm still not sure what the hell his plan was after he dunked on them. Hubris I guess.

en_OEUeMP3IsF.png
en_kh1nTY0h7P.png
en_jP9IgZIBea.png
en_7baykdkLJg.png
en_wmTjOimAMS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.